• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Received email today to get free 6 months of onstar and if you sign up with State Farm get an additional 6 months free. Offer includes a six month trial of Directions & Connections service 

For a limited time, you can reactivate your vehicle's OnStar¹ service with the OnStar/State Farm Connect & Save Offer—one free year of OnStar Directions & Connections (a $299 value) plus an insurance discount through the State Farm Drive Safe & Save™ program.²

1. Push your blue OnStar button and follow the prompts to speak with an Advisor.
2. Ask for the State Farm Connect & Save Offer and get six free months of OnStar service
3. Contact your local State Farm Agent or call 866.583.9457 to sign up for Drive Safe & Save and you’ll get six additional free months of OnStar service.

¹Visit onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Services vary by model and conditions.
²Offer only eligible on OnStar-equipped vehicles with an inactive OnStar system. Offer includes a six month trial of Directions & Connections service with Blue Button press and an additional six month trial once State Farm Drive Safe & Save is activated. Enrollment in OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics and valid email address is required. State Farm collects basic information about your vehicle to calculate insurance discount. Offer available through 1/31/14. No obligation. Not compatible with any other OnStar offer.

Member Summary

Onstar
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Be aware of what you're signing up for.  The Drive Safe & Save program monitors your in-vehicle activity (acceleration rates, braking rates, and so on)... presumably to determine how "safe" you are.  However, for some, that's pretty invasive to privacy.  Remember... in addition to using that information in your favor (the "& Save" part), they can also use it against you.  Also, if you don't like the NSA and other government agencies eavesdropping in on your phone calls, emails, and so on... you may not want them to have access to detailed info on when and where you have been driving.

If none of this bothers you, then free Onstar may be a good deal.

/2 cents

the way I drive, State Farm would probably cancel my insurance!

I also have State Farm, and when they ask, I don't have OnStar

They charge by miles driven, and the minor discount, would be replaced by a huge rate increase

Be berry berry careful wabbit, on the reports to the insurance co discount

I do have OnStar and would not want to be without it

This is obviously a bad question, but I have to ask... Do you get 6 months free (reactivated) without signing up for anything?

Can you get this deal if you DON'T have State Farm insurance?

I have an onStar trial expiring around Nov 1 I believe. I wonder if I wait until a couple days after the cancellation, I could call and get the 6 month only portion? I don't care about the Nav stuff (older GM).

In the past I was able to activate this 6 month deal without enrolling in Drive & Save. In California for example, Drive & Save is illegal... for good reason.

WIJoviGirl said:   Can you get this deal if you DON'T have State Farm insurance?

Seems like it would be hard to activate without the "Contact your local agent" part.

miller24 said:   
WIJoviGirl said:   Can you get this deal if you DON'T have State Farm insurance?

Seems like it would be hard to activate without the "Contact your local agent" part.

Contact your local agent is to get the EXTRA 6 months of service. 

I hope someone tries to get this who does not have State Farm. 

You do not need State Farm to get the first six months free. They don't even ask you if you have State Farm to get the initial six months. You do however need to have State Farm to receive the additional six months, as State Farm informs Onstar that you have enrolled in the program. You can enroll via your State Farm agent, or online.

Folks may want to take a look at the enrollment terms and conditions regarding what information is shared.  Mileage is absolutely shared.  "Acceleration rates, braking rates, and so on" are not shared.  That said, if you're a conspiracy theorist, I agree that this program is not for you. 

With all of the facts about government lies and coverups that have been leaked or exposed in the last 50 years, I think we can stop calling it a conspiracy "theory".

If you are only interested in OnStar for the stolen vehicle location part, can you just decline coverage until such time as your vehicle is stolen and then activate the service? Just curious...I had OnStar for a year (I think) with my vehicle purchase, but spent more time setting it up than using it, so I thought the rates were outrageous. The navigation was ok, but if you have a smartphone, you have better navigation (imo).

SherifBufordTJustice said:   Folks may want to take a look at the enrollment terms and conditions regarding what information is shared.  Mileage is absolutely shared.  "Acceleration rates, braking rates, and so on" are not shared. 

My ISP Privacy Statement says they don't share my personal info either, but as it turns out... they do... http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/nov/01/nsa-tapping-cables-document 

So what's written in the T&C may not actually be what they do in real life.  Again, do what you wish.  Just don't whine when you gave up the keys to the castle and then wonder why people you didn't invite are walking across the drawbridge.  

/2 cents (that makes 4 in total)

I just added 6 free months and I don't have State Farm Insurance so this still works. I was asked permission to allow diagnostic data to be sent to the dealer where the vehicle was purchased... which I did not allow but I was not asked if I had State Farm Insurance...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014