• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

T-Mobile rsquo s 4G Network | Check Your Coverage | T-Mobile Blazing Fast 4G Coverage
Disclaimer

T-Mobile rsquo s 4G Network | Check Your Coverage | T-Mobile Blazing Fast 4G Coverage
Disclaimer
Un-leash your phone on the largest global data coverage area, included at no extra charge. That’s right. T-Mobile’s nationwide data is going global starting October 20 for new customers and October 31 for existing customers.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html#globalcoverage

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile coupons that earn Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

T-Mobile free International Data and Text on Simple Choice Plans
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
You would think that being in a foreign country they would know more, not less about this product

JonnyRock (Oct. 15, 2013 @ 7:58p) |

Does Tmobile hotspot plan have this free international roaming service?

bee1z (Oct. 15, 2013 @ 10:21p) |

I assume you are asking about calls over wifi?
All incoming Wi-Fi calls are $0.00.
All Wi-Fi calls to the U.S. while roami... (more)

JonnyRock (Oct. 15, 2013 @ 11:34p) |

  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Just saw this on NYT. Awesome news... though probably more appropriate for DealDiscussion

Yuyak said:   Just saw this on NYT. Awesome news... though probably more appropriate for DealDiscussion
  Perhaps, makes a great deal if you are out of contract and/or looking to switch.  Great deal if you travel, saves the necessity for pre-paid sims.

shoot! simple choice plan prerequisite.
i have the old plan with $2.99 t-zones.

i have a feeling this is reason i can't
make wifi calls to the states anymore.

thanks lookgood:
"Additional charges apply in excluded destinations; included destinations subject to change at T-Mobile’s discretion. Qualifying postpaid Simple Choice plan and capable device required. Taxes additional; usage taxed in some countries. Voice and text features for direct communications between 2 people. Communications with premium-rate (e.g., 900, entertainment, high-rate helpline) numbers not included and may incur additional charges. Calls over Wi-Fi are $.20/min; texts over Wi-Fi are $.20 each. Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for the performance of our roaming partners’ networks. Data at up to 2G speeds. No tethering."

It's 2G data that's free. They charge extra for faster data

It sounds far better than it actually is.

"Calls over Wi-Fi are $.20/min; texts over Wi-Fi are $.20 each. Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for the performance of our roaming partners’ networks. Data at up to 2G speeds. No tethering."
  
Lulz for charging for calls and text for off-loading on wi-fi.  Will stick to just wi-fi only internationally with Groove IP and Google Voice. Free, unlimited texts and calls.

I mentioned this in the other thread too, but calls over WiFi were free and now they cost $.20 and this is somehow an improvement? I guess it's an improvement for T-Mobile

Before T-Mobile would allow wifi calls to the US to be free, but would charge if you tried to do a wifi call to the country you're in. For example, if you went to Italy and used wifi to call home, it was free. Calling to Italy would cost like $1 or more. I bet the $0.20 is a wifi call to the country you're staying in. I wouldn't criticize T-Mobile until we're sure which one they're talking about.

In any case, I'm excited about free data worldwide!

If they are limiting this to WIFI use, I cannot see how that would be that useful.
When I travel, I want my cell phone to be usable everywhere, not just in my hotel or a hotspot.
I have been lost overseas in places where there was no nearby wifi.
I wanted my phone to be able to make a call for help if the neighborhood turned worse.
Almost every country now sells SIMS in the airport.
Pop it in your unlocked phone and pay far less than $.20 per minute, and you aren't tethered to a wifi point.
I remember my SIM in london came with 60 mins free calls back to the USA.
In the Philippines pay around $.06 per min voice for local calls and there are plenty of cheap calling cards back to the USA.
If you are using WIFI, there are plenty of free apps.
If this is somehow not limited to WIFI they need to explain why wifi is mentioned.

what they are doing is..
On cell network - use to be $$$ - now - free text, free 2G data, and $0.20/min call.
On wifi - use to be FREE - now $0.20 per text, and call $0.20 per min

In a way.. you get more flexibility with the cell network, but you loose out on wifi!!!

I think it's going to be each individual condition to see if this is really worth it.

This is absolutely a great deal - how does anyone see it to the contrary? Even if you don't use it, they are going to gain a lot of customers and this should force the other carriers to stop raping their customers on international service rates for voice/txt/data.

Also trust me on this if you do international travel regularly you just end up with the occasional $400 - $1000 USD bill even when you're careful.

four real world examples why:

1. you can't get a pre-paid SIM in every country on that list. like India. if you're there for 1-2 weeks, you basically can't get a cell phone. i'd rather have 2G data than a phone for calling there.
2. Most people traveling internationally would use something like google voice or whatsapp or what have you for messaging, so who cares whether you are on wifi or not. You can use the other services to text to your hearts content.
3. Even cheap prepaid services can cost a lot of money. like going to England - maybe you can get a prepaid SIM with some minutes and unlimited data/txt, but that's going to be $40-$60 after you convert to dollars.
4. you can now give out a local US number to everyone and you don't have to deal with your home # being off and having to figure a way for people to text you on your local prepaid number in another country, which can be a hassle if they're not accustomed to texting or calling overseas.

okay found this clarificaiton page.. still not sure about SMS - outgoing over wifi..
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9455
Wi-Fi Calling and Messaging Impacts
•Incoming Wi-Fi calls are $0.00
•Wi-Fi calls back to the U.S. are $0.00
•Wi-Fi calls placed while outside the U.S. to a destination on the Simple Global Country List is $0.20 only
•Wi-Fi calls placed while outside the U.S. to a destination not on the Simple Global Country List incur $0.20 plus Wi-Fi toll charges.
•No charge for incoming messages while on Wi-Fi

This is really a game changer.

The big question is.. how usable is VOIP (assuming low bitrate codec like GSM) with this plan?

Possibly a dumb question...but how do you know it is a wifi call besides being on wifi?

Hope any carriers can follow...

Does this mean if I have a Tmobile phone/plan ....then give to my relative in those countries, thus they will be calling me for free on Wifi? What about I call them from the US?

What they don't tell you is who their roaming partner is in each of these 100 countries. I've been to some of these countries and they have multiple carriers like USA and many of the lower cost carriers have very poor coverage (similar to USA) so getting free roaming on a low cost carrier may mean no coverage in many places.

So without telling us which network they will be using for roaming on each of the countries, it is fairly pointless.

and the rates they charge for 3G data (100meg for $15/day) is outrageous. In a few of the countries on their list you can pickup an unlimited data pre-paid sim for as little as $2/day on the local 3G/3.5G(hspa+) network.

thenew3 said:   What they don't tell you is who their roaming partner is in each of these 100 countries. I've been to some of these countries and they have multiple carriers like USA and many of the lower cost carriers have very poor coverage (similar to USA) so getting free roaming on a low cost carrier may mean no coverage in many places.

So without telling us which network they will be using for roaming on each of the countries, it is fairly pointless.

and the rates they charge for 3G data (100meg for $15/day) is outrageous. In a few of the countries on their list you can pickup an unlimited data pre-paid sim for as little as $2/day on the local 3G/3.5G(hspa+) network.
This is sad. Some people don't even appreciate free stuff.

Who cares if there is bad coverage internationally.. it's MORE than what you get right now.. FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE!
Who cares if it's only 2G connection internationally.. it's MORE than what you get right now.. FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE!

Do they have towers all over the world? WoW. Can use it free in India

KayK said:   The big question is.. how usable is VOIP (assuming low bitrate codec like GSM) with this plan?
  My Lumia925 lets me automatically switch to wifi calling  (one of my favorite features since my apartment is in a Tmobile semi-deadzone) and in the month or so I've been using it I haven't noticed any difference between phone calls over wifi vs phone calls over full-reception cellular network.

Anyone who doesn't think this is a hot deal should see what ATT charges for international data...and AT&T is more generous than verizon or Sprint:

120 MB = $30
300 MB = $60
800 MB = $120

data overage = $30.12/MB


Messaging:

50 msgs = $10, overage = .40 per msg
200 msgs = $30, overage = .35 per msg
600 msgs = $60, overage = .25 per msg

Verizon will only see you data internationally in 100 MB chunks for $25. So 800 MB on verizon = $200. Overages are $20.48 per MB outside of US/Mexico.  Sprint charges by the kilobyte, which is .019/KB, and isn't even EDGE - it's mostly GPRS.

Considering T-Mobile doesn't require a contract, why wouldn't anyone just sign up for the cheapest plan for a month when you are traveling international?   $50-$70 USD for a US # and guaranteed service where you are traveling is a pretty sweet deal.  And most places, you should get the higher end of EDGE speeds - I've always found EDGE to be more than sufficient in Europe for anything except file transfers and watching video. 










 

Will sms to Canada be free?

Yuyak said:   KayK said:   The big question is.. how usable is VOIP (assuming low bitrate codec like GSM) with this plan?
  My Lumia925 lets me automatically switch to wifi calling  (one of my favorite features since my apartment is in a Tmobile semi-deadzone) and in the month or so I've been using it I haven't noticed any difference between phone calls over wifi vs phone calls over full-reception cellular network.
I'm talking about VOIP calls in a participating country outside of wifi (aka.. actual wifi less data only phone call)

...how do you know it is a wifi call besides being on wifi?
  from my past experiences using nokia phones for wifi calling...
once you've connected phone to wifi, a magenta bullseye icon
pops up next to network, signaling it's connected to wifi for calls.

JonnyRock said:   If they are limiting this to WIFI use, I cannot see how that would be that useful.
When I travel, I want my cell phone to be usable everywhere, not just in my hotel or a hotspot.
I have been lost overseas in places where there was no nearby wifi.
I wanted my phone to be able to make a call for help if the neighborhood turned worse.
Almost every country now sells SIMS in the airport.
Pop it in your unlocked phone and pay far less than $.20 per minute, and you aren't tethered to a wifi point.
I remember my SIM in london came with 60 mins free calls back to the USA.
In the Philippines pay around $.06 per min voice for local calls and there are plenty of cheap calling cards back to the USA.
If you are using WIFI, there are plenty of free apps.
If this is somehow not limited to WIFI they need to explain why wifi is mentioned.
 


I have been using this E-phone card called Dynasky when I am oversea. The rate is super low. Calling from HK to US is only 0.02/min.  And there are a couple awesome features too. One of the best features is the eSecretary. It's basically a call forwarding service. When I am oversea in China, I can still receive phone call to my local number if my friends are calling on my US number. Receiving phone call from US to China is only $0.045/min. I would say $0.20/min is a reasonable rate for international calls but definitely not the cheapest.

KayK said:   
thenew3 said:   What they don't tell you is who their roaming partner is in each of these 100 countries. I've been to some of these countries and they have multiple carriers like USA and many of the lower cost carriers have very poor coverage (similar to USA) so getting free roaming on a low cost carrier may mean no coverage in many places.

So without telling us which network they will be using for roaming on each of the countries, it is fairly pointless.

and the rates they charge for 3G data (100meg for $15/day) is outrageous. In a few of the countries on their list you can pickup an unlimited data pre-paid sim for as little as $2/day on the local 3G/3.5G(hspa+) network.

This is sad. Some people don't even appreciate free stuff.

Who cares if there is bad coverage internationally.. it's MORE than what you get right now.. FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE!
Who cares if it's only 2G connection internationally.. it's MORE than what you get right now.. FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE!
 

  
What good is FREE when it doesn't work?  They can offer free unlimited 4G LTE international data or HSPA, but if their roaming partners don't have coverage in areas you need to use it, then that service is worth absolutely zilch!
It's all pure marketing!

Don't get me wrong, I love where Tmobile is going with all their changes lately and hope it will force ATT/VZW to make some changes of their own,  but I do not believe in the get something for nothing philosophy. 

Like I said, I've been to some of those countries on the list and used local sim's and found coverage of some of the carriers to be severely lacking.  Without Tmobile telling us which carriers are their roaming partners in each country, one shouldn't get their hopes up that they'll get any coverage in their destination and even with coverage, have proper expectation that its only 2G speeds best case.   What we take for granted as 2G speeds may not match what another country actually get.  I've been in countries where getting 100kbps is considered high end 3G speeds and are very rare.
 

wow..WOW...

=D =D =D
Probably one of the BEST deals T-Mobile has ever released for those going to Japan, where the cost of rental SIM cards, roaming service, etc. can suck up $1/min+ and data is $$.
T-Mobile already roams over there on Docomo and Softbank's networks, so this is a definite plus for me =D
What used to be a careful metering of time & data abroad is now FREE =) =) =)
Very, Very happy!
(Naturally, you'll need a cell phone that is UMTS 2100Mhz compatible to roam in Japan. Oh, band 1, not the other 2100Mhz+whatever crap used in the USA that's not worldwide compatible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands )

So the voice service is only over WIFI?
paying $.20 per min to make local calls over WIFI doesn't seem like that great a deal.
As fat as the free 2g data, it may be very expensive in the long run:
You leave your phone on for the 2g data.
You then get a phone call, and you let it roll to voicemail.
Now you are suck paying for two minutes of voice roaming!

Are some of you verizon employees or something.

We're getting free stuff, no changes in anything else. You're probably the type that would win a free Toyota and complain that it wasn't a free Lexus. If you don't want free 2G and 20 cents roaming, go buy a local sim card, nobody is stopping you and nobody is forcing you to use the free service.

For us normal people, when we roam internationally, we finally don't have to turn off data on our phones, enough to check email, send texts. IF the coverage was bad, who cares, it wasn't free or there before, go buy a local sim card.

Complaing for the sake of complaing, bunch of bitc..es...

I think you missed my point:
Calls to the USA over wifi have been free in the past and it appears they still are.
Calls from your phone to the country you are in are now $.20 per minute.
Why not fire up Skype and make that local call instead?
I cannot find a country on the T-Mobile list where T-Mobile is cheaper than Skype.
Japan is $.026 per min
The UK is $.023.
This is Fatwallet where we are supposed to help each other save money, I see no reason to pay 9X the cost.
Voice and text are only free over WIFI. If you leave your phone connected to the mobile network in order to use the "free" 2g data,
you may be charged for every missed call and every text you receive at current rates.
If they come up with a way around this, great I will use their free data, but as of right now it seems like you will be at risk of paying for 2 minutes for every missed call.
Yes, you can forward directly to voice mail, then unforward each time you get to a wifi hotspot, are you confident that you will remember?
To me, it sounds like they are giving away 2g data to trick you into paying HUGE roaming charges.
If this is incorrect, please show me my error.

Also some of their "oversea" partner might be tmobile themselves...they are a gl I bal firm with a large cell network internationally...

Free? Last I checked, I'm paying for it. Am I paying more? No. Is it free? No.

Some of you can't seem to remember how slow 2G service is. I'm a current TMO customer, so I know a bit about 2G... VOIP? Dream on.

The best part of this is that my TMO service includes a slow little something for me in the unusual event that I'm out of the US. Texting is a nice toss-in, too.

I thought it was funny when TMO used 72MB in a day in their cost comparison. 72MB over real-world 2G service? In a day? That's funny!

slickdeal45 said:   Free? Last I checked, I'm paying for it. Am I paying more? No. Is it free? No.

Some of you can't seem to remember how slow 2G service is. I'm a current TMO customer, so I know a bit about 2G... VOIP? Dream on.

The best part of this is that my TMO service includes a slow little something for me in the unusual event that I'm out of the US. Texting is a nice toss-in, too.

I thought it was funny when TMO used 72MB in a day in their cost comparison. 72MB over real-world 2G service? In a day? That's funny!

For some of us this is a great deal.  I could not care much less about voice.  I don't mind the slow data in exchange for being able to turn my phone on when a plane lands and actually get email, or text/msg people, or look up connection information, or get to google translate, or pull up directions, etc etc.

Sprint used to have a $60 unlimited international blackberry data plan.  It was GPRS, but it did the job.  I had no problems with email, with messenger services, pulling up mobile formatted web pages, and edge is faster than GPRS, so I can't see much complaining for what is free.

And when you compare it to what the other carriers offer, it's even sweeter.

It is starting to seem to me that T-Mobile has not thought this out very well.
This page says text's over wifi are free if they are going to the US but then it also says text's from outside the US are $.20
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9455
"Messages
All incoming text messages (SMS) and picture messages (MMS) sent over Wi-Fi are $0.00.
SMS/MMS sent over Wi-Fi to the U.S. are $0.00.
SMS/MMS sent over Wi-Fi while roaming in a Simple Global Country are $0.20.
SMS/MMS sent over Wi-Fi while roaming in a Non-Simple Global Country are $0.20"

This one says they cost $.20
http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=In...

this seems to suggest that one of the features I liked about T-Mobile, the free texting over WIFI is going awaylso
It also makes little sense to me why texting would be free over a tower but cost over wifi.

slickdeal45 said:   I thought it was funny when TMO used 72MB in a day in their cost comparison. 72MB over real-world 2G service? In a day? That's funny!Even if you stream music at HALF the max theoretical 2G speeds (max is 225kbps, half is 112.5kbps), it would take less than 90 minutes to use up more than 72 MB.

PS: I get 216kbps speeds on 2G.. and it would take 45 minutes, 30 seconds of streaming stuff to use up those 72 MB. That's real world 2G service.

  Called TM to check, they stated this:

  • Texting: Unlimited in more than 100 countries included at no extra charge
     
  • Data: Unlimited in more than 100 countries included at no extra charge

They even updated my account to make it effective 10/20/13 vs 10/31/13  as I will out of the country on 10/22.

What's it like to hang out next to the cell phone tower all day?

Skipping 11 Messages...
I assume you are asking about calls over wifi?
All incoming Wi-Fi calls are $0.00.
All Wi-Fi calls to the U.S. while roaming are $0.00, no matter where you are.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014