• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi folks,

I've purchased used/discounted gift cards at cardpool.com in the past, with good results. This Oct-Dec period, Discover is offering 5% Cash Back on online purchases. I contacted Discover to see if gift cards purchased at cardpool.com counted as an "online purchase." The answer is, yes!

Discover Card customer service said: Re: 5% CashBack Bonus Program [#2456806]

From Discover Card Customer ServiceDate Received: 10/10/2013 11:35 PM

Hello Chris!

Thank you for your email regarding the current 5% CashBack Bonus Program. I understand that you will be purchasing some holiday gift cards online, and I am happy to help you today.

The holiday gift cards you are purchasing online will qualify. This offer does not apply to government products or services, education providers, utilities, or travel. The current 5% program runs from October 1, 2013 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through December 31, 2013, and allows you to earn a full 5% on your first $1,500 in purchases when you sign up and use your Discover Card online.*

You can earn 5% CashBack Bonus on category purchases up to the dollar amount specified in each program. Categories change throughout the year, so you can earn 5% on things like home improvement, restaurants, and more. Signing up each time is free and easy.

Please note that while your 5% CashBack Bonus is normally processed a few days after your purchase, we ask that you allow up to two billing periods for it to post and appear on your statement. See your CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.

This is a great deal if you are planning a large purchase soon. Once you purchase the used gift cards, they are essentially discounted cash. When you use them to make purchases, both vendor discount codes and FatWallet Cash Back will stack on top.

Keep in mind that

• There is a $1500 limit ($75 Cash Back limit) to the "online purchases" category for Discover. Keep in mind any future purchases you might want to make for vendors where discounted gift cards are not available.
  • Cards purchased from cardpool.com carry a 100-day value guarantee.

Member Summary

Cardpool
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice to know, since this can free up AP to burn up other cards.

I know the Rep has stated it does work but it depends on how it posts. I tried Raise.com on the 3rd of the month and it posted as "MISC. PERSONAL SERVICES". It is not posted as merchandise so they will not pay on this transaction. I did use it on Cardpool.com last year and it posted as Merchandise during the 5%. Hopefully they haven't changed all the 3rd party card places to personal services. I usually prefer cardpool.com anyways just was trying to get an additional 2% back with Top-Cash-Back. I am way over the CashBack bonus amount for cardpool.

nicemann said:   I know the Rep has stated it does work but it depends on how it posts. I tried Raise.com on the 3rd of the month and it posted as "MISC. PERSONAL SERVICES". It is not posted as merchandise so they will not pay on this transaction. I did use it on Cardpool.com last year and it posted as Merchandise during the 5%. Hopefully they haven't changed all the 3rd party card places to personal services. I usually prefer cardpool.com anyways just was trying to get an additional 2% back with Top-Cash-Back. I am way over the CashBack bonus amount for cardpool.
Thanks for your response. It might be a good idea for anyone wanting to buy these to ask the same question via account message first. I wanted to have it in writing for reference if something went awry.

nicemann said:   I know the Rep has stated it does work but it depends on how it posts. I tried Raise.com on the 3rd of the month and it posted as "MISC. PERSONAL SERVICES". It is not posted as merchandise so they will not pay on this transaction. I did use it on Cardpool.com last year and it posted as Merchandise during the 5%. Hopefully they haven't changed all the 3rd party card places to personal services. I usually prefer cardpool.com anyways just was trying to get an additional 2% back with Top-Cash-Back. I am way over the CashBack bonus amount for cardpool.
  Though Transaction is categorized as "MISC. PERSONAL SERVICES", doesn't the charge show up as Raise.com , which is an online purchase and still you should be eligible for 5%. Its believe this is not based on Merchandise.

msakthivel said:   nicemann said:   I know the Rep has stated it does work but it depends on how it posts. I tried Raise.com on the 3rd of the month and it posted as "MISC. PERSONAL SERVICES". It is not posted as merchandise so they will not pay on this transaction. I did use it on Cardpool.com last year and it posted as Merchandise during the 5%. Hopefully they haven't changed all the 3rd party card places to personal services. I usually prefer cardpool.com anyways just was trying to get an additional 2% back with Top-Cash-Back. I am way over the CashBack bonus amount for cardpool.
  Though Transaction is categorized as "MISC. PERSONAL SERVICES", doesn't the charge show up as Raise.com , which is an online purchase and still you should be eligible for 5%. Its believe this is not based on Merchandise.

It does but its not coded as merchandise. Kind of the same principal why Amazon Payments will not work. You can shop on Amazon with this 5% but their sending money to friends and family doesn't show as merchandise so it won't work.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014