• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Updated 20-Nov  The price of a Nikon D600 has been dropping since the announcement of the D610 replacement model.  Cameta (2.5% CashBack) is selling factory refurbs for $1399 with free shipping and a 1-year store warranty.  The normal warranty for a Nikon factory refurb is only 90 days.  Net cost is $1364, not a bad deal. 

Link           (Cameta)

If you buy a refurb, consider buying an add-on Mack warranty.  They are cheap, and they are transferrable if you sell your camera -- a very valuable selling point to prospective buyers.  You don't need to buy the Mack warranty from the store which sold you the camera.  For example, Cameta sells a Mack standard coverage 3-year add-on warranty (Mack #1015) for $100.  Adorama sells the same Mack standard coverage add-on warranty for $65.  In fact, the best fit considering the ~$1500 selling price is Mack #1202.  You can buy the Mack #1202 policy for under $60 at either Adorama or Amazon.com.  On eBay, I found this policy sold for under $55 and F/S.

For a bit more money, you can upgrade to Mack's "Diamond" insurance policy, which also runs for 3 years.  The Diamond policy adds coverage for accidental damage, not just manufacturing defect or unprovoked component failure. The Mack policy number for Diamond coverage of a $1500 camera is #1309.  Adorama sells Mack #1309 policy for just under $120, and beach camera and buydig.com sell the Mack #1309 policy for just under $105 (and F/S).

So my advice, as this is being written, is to buy the D600 refurb from Cameta, and buy either Mack add-on insurance policy for $55 or $105, respectively, to protect you from being stuck with a lemon and to help you sell the camera 2 years from now when you upgrade to the Nikon D950 (or so).

Cameta Camera
Need a Cameta Camera coupon that earns 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Nikon D600 refurb
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Are these corrected by Nikon or can these still have the oil issue?

From what I gather when you send a d600 in to Nikon for this issue they will either clean the sensor and send it on its merry way or replace the sensor.  In both cases it still seems very likely that you will develop the problem again.  Easiest solution is to just clean it yourself really.  Reports also seem to indicate the problem lessens with further use so it's likely 10-15,000 clicks in you would only have to clean as often as any other DSLR.

Also note, Nikon has not made any public statements regarding the d600 issue itself nor the d610's release indicating that it will solve the issue.

This IS a great price and at this price point retailers could very well be selling at a break even or even at a loss just to clear their inventory.  Seems Nikon strong arms retailers to carry certain less desirable models just to be able to carry higher demand items which puts the retailers in a tough spot.  Seems like some consumers would win here!

My condolences for existing d600 owners.  FWIW as a previous d600 owner, I think it IS a great camera overall despite the dust/oil issue, I just snagged a d700 and would probably be all over this right now otherwise.  Don't let the AF system, AF points, smaller buffer, or dust/oil issue fool you - the difference from DX to FX is pretty significant and the sensors can be cleaned by responsible diy owners.

MrSneis said:   From what I gather when you send a d600 in to Nikon for this issue they will either clean the sensor and send it on its merry way or replace the sensor.
I think you mean 'replace the shutter', not 'replace the sensor'. In any case, my sources tell me that the original return rate for new and refurbished D600s was originally around 10%, a ridiculously high number. More recently the return rate for new and refurb units alike is much much lower -- but still higher than the typical return rate for cameras of equivalent complexity.
In both cases it still seems very likely that you will develop the problem again.
I think you are exaggerating. "Extremely likely" ? No... Possible? Yes.
Easiest solution is to just clean it yourself really.  Reports also seem to indicate the problem lessens with further use so it's likely 10-15,000 clicks in you would only have to clean as often as any other DSLR.
With some exceptions, this is generally what D600 owners are saying -- the problem eventually runs its course. There are a few (very few) reports of the problem persisting after as many as 50K shutter clicks. For most D600 owners, the trouble of repeated wet cleaning of the sensor through the first 10K shutter clicks is less bother than sending the camera away for 3 weeks for repair.

mach6 said:   Are these corrected by Nikon or can these still have the oil issue?
What I have been told is that early in production, as many as 10% of the D600s had "the problem" and were returned or exchanged.  Of the D600s which were serviced and refurbished, roughly 10% still had "the problem" when returned or re-sold.

That was early in the production cycle.  A year later, return rates for new, repaired, and refurbished units have dropped considerably.  I am not sure if success rates have reached historically typical levels, but they are much better than they had been.

$1500 is a remarkable bargain for the camera as capable as a D600.  The bad vibe and Nikon's mis-steps have helped to depress the price of the D600, and that is how bargains come about.
In any case, you will not get stuck with a lemon -- if there is a problem, Nikon will make it right.  There is a 1-year warranty if you buy from Cameta, and that is plenty of time to sort out problems.
There is risk, but the risk is that you might be without your camera for a few weeks for repair.  That's not the same sort of risk as investing in the DeLorean Motor Company. 

Nice price on an FX, but I think they'll have a deal on BF for these.

The extended warranties typically do not cover refurbs. Example, Squaretrade only issues a one-year warranty on refurbs. Has anyone tested the warranty proposed here on these refurbs!

mictester said:   The extended warranties typically do not cover refurbs. Example, Squaretrade only issues a one-year warranty on refurbs. Has anyone tested the warranty proposed here on these refurbs!
I checked with the folks at mackcam.com (Mack warranty), and they do cover refurbs *if* there is (minimum) 90-day manufacturer's warranty in place at the time the Mack warranty is purchased.  Nikon factory refurbs do indeed carry a 90-day warranty.

If you have any questions, suggest you contact mackcam.com customer service.  They were very responsive and helpful.

By the way, Cameta has a deal with Nikon USA where they extend the 90-day Nikon USA refurb warranty to 1 year.  It is called a 'store' warranty, but the service is done by Nikon USA.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014