• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The Student Advantage program essentially extends an Office 365 subscription to the student body. Beginning Dec. 1, any academic institution that licenses Office for staff and faculty can provide Office 365 ProPlus for students at no additional cost

Here  

and Here 

Member Summary

office 365 (171.23kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
SkyDrive has free MS Office web apps for everyone but unlike the Google Docs apps they cannot be used offline.

dforest (Oct. 17, 2013 @ 10:34a) |

It's just that when people start using the newest version, you will have compatibility issues. MS will embed new feature... (more)

freejunkmail (Oct. 17, 2013 @ 11:01a) |

Can we have a list of which Universities and Colleges qualify on this one?

abhisurf (Nov. 05, 2013 @ 2:00a) |

• Also categorized in:

Can you purchase Office 365 or is it only a subscription model service?

Ank329 said:   Can you purchase Office 365 or is it only a subscription model service?
Subscription model service.   Microsoft site say $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year.  Free is always good though

googe drive is free for everyone.

wtjc said:   
Ank329 said:   Can you purchase Office 365 or is it only a subscription model service?
Subscription model service.   Microsoft site say $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year.  Free is always good though

Correct, O365 is a cloud service which is subscription based, it happens to include Office 2013 as well. But if you don't want/need the cloud portion you can still purchase the actual Office 2013 software outside of the subscription model.

If you are a student and your school is not participating, you can purchase 4 years of office 365 for $65 total
http://www.amazon.com/University-Academic-Student-Validation-Req...
With no more tech net, I may go this route

thanks!

How do I get this if not a student ?

Just use Open Office 4.0.1 instead!

CJXing said:   Just use Open Office 4.0.1 instead!

Doesn't Office 365 have advantages over Open Office?

Check out were you work! Some company's offer Microsoft software for like $10.00
http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx?culture=en-US

tajar96 said:   How do I get this if not a student ?
Find a student you are related to, are friends with or can date
Or find a way to get an .EDU address

namlook said:   

Not not really.  Most people don't use 90% of the features in Office.  Office 97 did everything and more than I would ever need.  

^What drew2money said.

Don't forget: Everybody already has free access to a slightly de-featured version of Office 365 with a free Skydrive account.

What this thread is about is buried in the second link in the first post:
Second link said: Student Advantage builds on an existing Office 365 Education program, initiated in 2012, that already makes many of Microsoft's cloud services available to students for free. {...} With the new program, students are no longer limited to the cloud. They can download the full Office software suite locally on up to five devices, giving them offline access and full feature sets that weren't available under the existing program.

Here is what I know in the form of bullet points:

1. Everybody has free Office365 online Office apps that are well-featured, via SkyDrive.

2. Microsoft has previously offered a more powerful free service for school IT departments to make available to students. It requires the school to sign up and create user accounts. There is no self-service for students whose schools do not participate. (I know this because I work in IT at a school; we were going to implement it but there were technical incompatibilities with our environment.)

3. This thread is about those school-controlled student accounts; now it may be possible for those schools to get on a new free plan that allows students to download and install the traditional desktop MS Office suite.

4. You don't need it. Really. Everything you need can be done easily (often MORE easily, since MS put in that silly Ribbon interface) with the many free desktop and cloud office suites. LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs, Kingsoft Office, Skydrive/MS Office 365 free (if you like the ribbon), ad nauseum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_office_suites 

cheeto said:   googe drive is free for everyone.
  Microsoft's SkyDrive which has all the features of Google Drive offers and it is also free.  This offer is far better than any of them.

We get MS office free with Windows Phones. Will that login work with 365?

....except they can't run most VBAs and plug-ins.

You can write non-formatted essays on those, but anything complicated, they both fall apart horribly...

Absolutely happy the schools are being accommodated....Our Upcoming Working People need these free softwares so they can advance well in their education...

So is air!  So what's your point?  and why did you red me for notifying people of this?

Microsoft Office is the premiere Office application.and to purchase can be quite  expensive.  I've used it for years (currently have full versions 2010 and 2013 installed - only 2013 item i prefer is excel and I very much doubt that I have ever tapped more than 1/2%  of its potential.if that.   But I love having it available.
There have been many microsoft office promotions listed here but everyone has not always been eligible (I've been lucky).  But actually not this cheap.  My full versions were purchased for $10.00 and link is still active see (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1251784/       )  Actually this deal was available going back to at least 2010 
I could list offhand at least a half dozen free office alternatives here, but why - just google" free office alternatives" and make your choice based on whats available for you.

Old version of Microsoft office work just as well and can be found heavily discounted.

Old version of Microsoft office work just as well and can be found heavily discounted.

dgwadawa said:   
  Microsoft's SkyDrive which has all the features of Google Drive offers and it is also free.  This offer is far better than any of them.

SkyDrive has free MS Office web apps for everyone but unlike the Google Docs apps they cannot be used offline.

drew2money said:   
namlook said:   

Not not really.  Most people don't use 90% of the features in Office.  Office 97 did everything and more than I would ever need.  

It's just that when people start using the newest version, you will have compatibility issues. MS will embed new features into the file, even change the extension name, just to make it harder on older version users. There will be ways to go around. They just want to give a little push for users to upgrade.

Can we have a list of which Universities and Colleges qualify on this one?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014