• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Microsoft Store
Need a Microsoft Store coupon that earns 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

8.1 (18.80kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer

NSA Bonus Pack (22.45kB)
Thanks Reots
Disclaimer

Does not contain Microsoft Bob (30.15kB)
Thanks happypants
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This site never ceases to amaze me.

How many people didn't upgrade to Windows 8 last year?  Tons, with much complaining a... (more)

bru20 (Oct. 19, 2013 @ 3:26p) |

I tried upgrading my Win 3.1 machine but it said "F.O. Moron" when I started the install. My 8088 is still running fine.... (more)

MisterEd (Oct. 19, 2013 @ 3:40p) |

New themes and the amazing search. I love Windows 8.

rockymast (Oct. 19, 2013 @ 3:51p) |

  • Also categorized in:

Update will be rolling out in waves starting at 4 AM. Not available to all currently. Edit: Now available to all via Windows Store, see my posts below for details. You cannot update via Windows Update alone.

And not really a hot deal IMO. Still a walled garden around the modern toolkit. Unethical and something I want no part of. Selling my VivoTab TF600 and my Dell 2330 deal buys. Windows 8.1 is a Steven Elop/Ballmer special, and I want to be as far away from it as possible.

China last week began telling Microsoft and Apple to ban news apps that don't comply with "news modultation" - these walled gardens give governments the power to censor news both on the web and off. Google was right, the freedom of the web is at stake.

I seriously had hoped Windows 8.1 would have allowed an end to walled garderns, perhaps Windows RT even just getting desktop ARM apps. Sadly, as the updates deploy on my machines, this isn't going to happen.

I will stick with 8.0, and my free classic shell start button.  If you do update to 8.1, clasic shell ALREADY has an update for their program for compatibility

Wow, even after their customers speak, they still resist:
It's true, Windows 8.1 returns the Start button to the desktop, but it isn't the same button we have all come to know and love. Clicking the button will bring you back to your last menu, while a right-click will reveal more traditional options

"If it isn't broken, don't fix it".

tougher said:   "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".
 So what version of DOS are you using.

Marlin1975 said:   
tougher said:   "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".
 So what version of DOS are you using.

  
I still use "ipconfig" from a cmd window every time I have network issues.  I'm not sure how to even do it in Windows.

Windows 8.1 seemed to speed up my system. I did a fresh install though, so it could be just that. I'm running on a 128GB SSD. I'm pretty happy with the changes in 8.1 even though everything "feels" the same as 8.0. I had a couple of older games that didn't run great in 8.0 that now run very smooth in 8.1, so that's another plus.

It does seem that every other version of Windows is the "good" one. I loved 7. Bring on Windows 9!

Marlin1975 said:   
tougher said:   "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".
 So what version of DOS are you using.

  I hear 6.1 is the best. ehehe I miss fdisk

Mavrick88 said:   Windows 8.1 seemed to speed up my system. I did a fresh install though, so it could be just that. I'm running on a 128GB SSD. I'm pretty happy with the changes in 8.1 even though everything "feels" the same as 8.0. I had a couple of older games that didn't run great in 8.0 that now run very smooth in 8.1, so that's another plus.

It does seem that every other version of Windows is the "good" one. I loved 7. Bring on Windows 9!

  I woke up at 4am PST , didn't see the update. Will be doing that later when I get home.

cyfan said:   
Marlin1975 said:   
tougher said:   "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".
 So what version of DOS are you using.

  
I still use "ipconfig" from a cmd window every time I have network issues.  I'm not sure how to even do it in Windows.

  
The Network UI isn't very initiative I still use that also.

tougher said:   "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".
  You mean like the new Iphone 5c which isn't so hot cause it's plastic? lol   back to the drawing board.

AzianFleeMarket said:   
Mavrick88 said:   Windows 8.1 seemed to speed up my system. I did a fresh install though, so it could be just that. I'm running on a 128GB SSD. I'm pretty happy with the changes in 8.1 even though everything "feels" the same as 8.0. I had a couple of older games that didn't run great in 8.0 that now run very smooth in 8.1, so that's another plus.

It does seem that every other version of Windows is the "good" one. I loved 7. Bring on Windows 9!

  I woke up at 4am PST , didn't see the update. Will be doing that later when I get home.

  
It's much more available now. You have to go to the Windows Store - it will not show in Windows Update.

And no, there's no offline install - making people with bandwidth bills have to re-download the up-to-3.6GB update each time.

I'm still not convinced this isn't somehow linked to the government shutdown.

I think the Windows 8 is the worst operating software ever and no matter what they will release, but the issue will be always there. This will not work anyhow.

When trying to download it, it shows not yet available....

Windows 8.1 is coming soon

Windows 8.1 will soon be available on an array of cool new hardware. Soon you'll be able to buy and download the new Windows, or get it with a new PC at online retailers and in stores. As always, you can visit the Windows Blog for the latest news.


UPDATE:

It worked for me, I guess I should have went from my windows 8 box instead of 7 ..   Thanks for the post OP!!

Marlin1975 said:   
tougher said:   "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".
 So what version of DOS are you using.

  Microsoft does not get it all the time.  Thats why there were versions in between 98, XP and 7.  Out of all ME is my favorite  

Dang.. I am still on Win XP. When I upgrade Pc's will 8.1 have a classic mode?

whudgens2 said:   Dang.. I am still on Win XP. When I upgrade Pc's will 8.1 have a classic mode?
  I don't think so. Win7 and a aftermarket skin will probably be your best bet. Not sure what skins are out there for win8.

whudgens2 said:   Dang.. I am still on Win XP. When I upgrade Pc's will 8.1 have a classic mode?
  
Windows 7 still has the 95/2000-era classic skin. It was removed from Windows 8 manually and replaced with flat/colorless UX. There's no way to get the 95/2000 theme in Windows 8 or 8.1.

unnamedny said:   
Marlin1975 said:   
tougher said:   "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".
 So what version of DOS are you using.

  Microsoft does not get it all the time.  Thats why there were versions in between 98, XP and 7.  Out of all ME is my favorite  

  ME? I say Windows 2000.

unnamedny said:     Microsoft does not get it all the time.  Thats why there were versions in between 98, XP and 7.  Out of all ME is my favorite  
  
It's different this time - there's no exit strategy from WinRT/Modern/Metro. They can try to make it more palatable, but realistically, I don't see Windows 9 fixing the core incompetency - a UX that people just don't want.

unnamedny said:   
Marlin1975 said:   
tougher said:   "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".
 So what version of DOS are you using.

  Microsoft does not get it all the time.  Thats why there were versions in between 98, XP and 7.  Out of all ME is my favorite  

  
ME, too.

Mavrick88 said:   Windows 8.1 seemed to speed up my system. I did a fresh install though, so it could be just that. I'm running on a 128GB SSD. I'm pretty happy with the changes in 8.1 even though everything "feels" the same as 8.0. I had a couple of older games that didn't run great in 8.0 that now run very smooth in 8.1, so that's another plus.

It does seem that every other version of Windows is the "good" one. I loved 7. Bring on Windows 9!

  
Been running 8.1 for a few weeks now.  Only issues have been with KMS support for Office 2013 (had to switch to a key as the KMS server needs patching).  But seems a bit speedier than 8, which was much better than 7.  Running on a core i5 3rd gen with 4gb of ram and a 128GB SSD laptop.  Very happy...
Next is to upgrade my desktops (home running 8 and work running 7).
 

whudgens2 said:   Dang.. I am still on Win XP. When I upgrade Pc's will 8.1 have a classic mode?
  
You can't really 'upgrade' XP to 8.1.   You probably need a new machine...

How long is this taking everyone else? I've been downloading for 40 minutes and it's only on 9%. The posts say it will download easily in under 2 hours. Mine is on pace for about 4-6 if not more? Is this like downloading iOS7?

As an IT guy, I hate Microsoft and in particular Windoze 8. We are forced to use it. You cannot downgrade to 7. So many programs will not work with IE10. You cannot revert to IE9 either. The boss needs to run a particular program and it will not on IE10, He has to go next door and use a Windows 7 computer. My fear is that Microsoft will update IE9 to 10 without our permission. They have on two of our computers already. We bought a HP computer and tried to hook it up to an HP printer and there is no driver available in 8 for it to run. it is a real nightmare for us. The learning curve is very long. I too put a add on start button on the ones I install. It really is broke.
Personally I use Macs and have for all my life. Sure I pay more, but long term it's worth it.

I had the option of getting Windows 8 for (I think) $20 beause I had bought a Windows 7 computer in the upgrade timeframe. Because of the known issues with Win 8 I opted not to purchase. So a year later they come out with another version that I would like to have, especially for $20, but now I have to pay full price.

MS should offer this version at a discounted price to appease their customers for the debacle that was Windows 8. And not that it matters but I'm a MSFT shareholder and I wouldn't care about the financial loss of a discounted offer. They'd probably actually come out ahead when all was said and done.

bru20 said:   I had the option of getting Windows 8 for (I think) $20 beause I had bought a Windows 7 computer in the upgrade timeframe. Because of the known issues with Win 8 I opted not to purchase. So a year later they come out with another version that I would like to have, especially for $20, but now I have to pay full price.

MS should offer this version at a discounted price to appease their customers for the debacle that was Windows 8. And not that it matters but I'm an MS shareholder and I wouldn't care about the financial loss of a discounted offer. They'd probably actually come out ahead when all was said and done.

  Its Trend shift just like Win 3.1 to Win95  so same Win7 to Win8 the mobile computing world complete revamp, its to keep them in market and running their new business.

is there a way to do a clean install by using windows 8 pro upgrade key?

Bradr19 said:   As an IT guy, I hate Microsoft and in particular Windoze 8. We are forced to use it. You cannot downgrade to 7. So many programs will not work with IE10. You cannot revert to IE9 either. The boss needs to run a particular program and it will not on IE10, He has to go next door and use a Windows 7 computer. My fear is that Microsoft will update IE9 to 10 without our permission. They have on two of our computers already. We bought a HP computer and tried to hook it up to an HP printer and there is no driver available in 8 for it to run. it is a real nightmare for us. The learning curve is very long. I too put a add on start button on the ones I install. It really is broke.
Personally I use Macs and have for all my life. Sure I pay more, but long term it's worth it.


Clearly, you're not an IT guy...

ryamkajr said:   Really?

Ranting about walled gardens and whatnot....

You do realize the sainted Google, whom you reference, is one of if not the biggest violator of personal privacy in the world, and gives all information carte blanche to the US government..
Hypocrite.

  I dont thnk Asuka was saying she believes Google is good, rather that walled gardens are bad.

Even if she was saying that, that is not the definition of a hypocrite.

The fact is that the walled garden approach, as well as all of the other increasingly limiting aspects of windows 8, are not desirable.

SteveG

ryamkajr said:   Really?

Ranting about walled gardens and whatnot....

You do realize the sainted Google, whom you reference, is one of if not the biggest violator of personal privacy in the world, and gives all information carte blanche to the US government..
Hypocrite.

  
You can opt in and out of Google services and manage your privacy. There's no way to bypass the walled garden and sideload a WinRT app.

Edit: Technically developers can sideload via a special developer activation key, and Enterprise versions of Windows 8 that are not permitted for sale to the public can sideload. But I digress... no consumer can sideload on Windows 8 or especially Windows RT. That's evil.

There are plenty of problems with Google, I find walled gardens to be the biggest threat to the freedom to think in the world today. Governments like China are getting savvy to them and real-world Thought Police have landed on Planet Earth. Walled gardens are the enforcement mechanism. Ask any media source that is banned on the App Store in China now.

I refuse to resort to name calling. Have a nice day!

namcongtu said:   is there a way to do a clean install by using windows 8 pro upgrade key?
  
Unfortunately no. Windows 8.1 changes core functions and requires a new EULA acceptance. Hence you can only clean install 8.1 with an 8.1 key. That's why MS bolstered pre-ordering 8.1 - it technically is a separate edition.

And that's why the Windows Store is required to invoke the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. It's not a service pack at all.

Bradr19 said:   As an IT guy, I hate Microsoft and in particular Windoze 8. We are forced to use it. You cannot downgrade to 7. So many programs will not work with IE10. You cannot revert to IE9 either. The boss needs to run a particular program and it will not on IE10, He has to go next door and use a Windows 7 computer. My fear is that Microsoft will update IE9 to 10 without our permission. They have on two of our computers already. We bought a HP computer and tried to hook it up to an HP printer and there is no driver available in 8 for it to run. it is a real nightmare for us. The learning curve is very long. I too put a add on start button on the ones I install. It really is broke.
Personally I use Macs and have for all my life. Sure I pay more, but long term it's worth it.

  
Business and enterprise licenses, as well as Windows 8 Pro licenses can be downgraded to Windows 7. If your machine came with Windows 8 Pro, call your OEM and ask about their Downgrade Rights program.

You cannot upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro and then invoke downgrade rights to Windows 7, however.

rsuaver said:   
whudgens2 said:   Dang.. I am still on Win XP. When I upgrade Pc's will 8.1 have a classic mode?
  
You can't really 'upgrade' XP to 8.1.   You probably need a new machine...

Why not...Is there a technical reason?
 

sgogo said:   
rsuaver said:   
whudgens2 said:   Dang.. I am still on Win XP. When I upgrade Pc's will 8.1 have a classic mode?
  
You can't really 'upgrade' XP to 8.1.   You probably need a new machine...

Why not...Is there a technical reason?

  
If you install Windows 8 on a system with XP, you will lose all installed apps. Only documents will be preserved in a Windows.old folder.

As some have documented, you can upgrade XP to Vista, Vista to 7, and 7 to 8. You will preserve installed apps... but seriously, this is not advised.

bru20 said:   I had the option of getting Windows 8 for (I think) $20 beause I had bought a Windows 7 computer in the upgrade timeframe. Because of the known issues with Win 8 I opted not to purchase. So a year later they come out with another version that I would like to have, especially for $20, but now I have to pay full price.

MS should offer this version at a discounted price to appease their customers for the debacle that was Windows 8. And not that it matters but I'm a MSFT shareholder and I wouldn't care about the financial loss of a discounted offer. They'd probably actually come out ahead when all was said and done.

You had the option to purchase and sat on it. Many paid the $20 upgrades for XP to Vista, and waited. They were eventually rewarded and enjoyed Vista once the bugs got fixed in SP2. In fact, for all the Vista bashing, SP2 users really got most of Windows 7 for free via Vista SP2.

Next time, pay the $20 like most of us did. I'm not happy with Windows 8, but I paid for the upgrade on each system eligible so I would preserve upgrade privileges in case Windows 8.1 had been great. You wish you had paid the $20, I wish I hadn't because 8.1 to me fixes none of my main complaints with 8.0.

Grass is always greener on the other side.

Have they fixed the missing start menu problem in 8.1? I think this is a critical bug and has to fixed!

asuka said:   
sgogo said:   
rsuaver said:   
whudgens2 said:   Dang.. I am still on Win XP. When I upgrade Pc's will 8.1 have a classic mode?
  
You can't really 'upgrade' XP to 8.1.   You probably need a new machine...

Why not...Is there a technical reason?

  
If you install Windows 8 on a system with XP, you will lose all installed apps. Only documents will be preserved in a Windows.old folder.

As some have documented, you can upgrade XP to Vista, Vista to 7, and 7 to 8. You will preserve installed apps... but seriously, this is not advised.

Got it... I never try to upgrade an OS and keep all installations... so much better to start clean.

I have an old Dell XT tablet on XP that I was thinking of upgrading.  It would be underpowered (Core 2 duo w/3GB Ram and SSD), but I think I am going to do it when I gert some time... great screen on this machine.

What do you think?

SteveG 

Skipping 85 Messages...
New themes and the amazing search. I love Windows 8.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014