100's of free programming books

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Hey, thanks! I am searching for PERL and now I got it...

jorocks (Oct. 21, 2013 @ 1:19p) |

Nice, thanks!

Ank329 (Oct. 21, 2013 @ 1:24p) |

Kept it in my inventory. I'm hopeful they may come handy sometime.

rockymast (Oct. 21, 2013 @ 1:41p) |

I haven't gone through them all, but several are not free. After following the links they end up pointing to Amazon or other locations at which you can buy the book.

Great post, thank you.

barbeque said:   I haven't gone through them all, but several are not free. After following the links they end up pointing to Amazon or other locations at which you can buy the book.
  This is understandable, some one is putting the time to get this page and add free programming books, and at some point in time Amazon and others decide to change them from free to a fee.
But most of them are still current. So enjoy.
Thanks OP.

Many years ago, I did some programming on PostgreSQL. Is this dead?

Years ago I learned advanced C programming but never got a chance to use, not even once. I will pass but green for you, OP. 

sardarji said:   Many years ago, I did some programming on PostgreSQL. Is this dead?
  What's the difference between PostgreSQL and regular SQL?  I never used PostgreSQL and it took me about 10 minutes figuring it out after a background in MS SQL.

Let me check the link. yipeee. thank you OP

Green for you Op.

Hi Buster said:   
sardarji said:   Many years ago, I did some programming on PostgreSQL. Is this dead?
  What's the difference between PostgreSQL and regular SQL?  I never used PostgreSQL and it took me about 10 minutes figuring it out after a background in MS SQL.

There are various ISO/ANSI standards that specify the core of SQL that are implemented to various degrees in the different database products. If you're doing pretty vanilla stuff, you won't see too much difference in the queries, but administration, tools, data types, built in functions, and the languages used for stored procedures vary considerably more.

Regarding if dead or not, I doubt it, but PostgreSQL has never been the most popular choice. Just do a quick search on job postings to get an idea.

A lot of reference material I could use....thanks OP!

A lot of useful stuff here thanks OP!

Many years ago, I did programming with COBOL, that should be free haha.

Nice find OP

Very useful.
Thanks OP!

gizmo said:   

Many years ago, I did programming with COBOL, that should be free haha.

Nice find OP

Sorry to sidetrack and diverge from thread..

gizmo, if you can brush up your COBOL, you can rake in big bucks and work on some really interesting problems. COBOL is still used widely on mainframes and lot of core logic of older systems is in COBOL and very few people are available wih COBOL knowledge. This problem will get only worse once baby boomers start retiring...

Green for a nice wide selection of languages!

Hi Buster said:   

PostgreSQL is an implementation of the SQL standard, just like Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, SQLite, and various other databases.  Each database has its own pluses and minuses, its own best use cases, etc.

PostgreSQL is, in my opinion, stronger and more alive than ever.  One of the major factors being Oracle buying Sun (which had bought MySQL).  That put MySQL in the hands of Oracle, which started to ruin it like they do everything open source.  Some went over to some of the MySQL forks, but a lot of people came to PostgreSQL as an alternative open source database.

Thanks OP!

ropes said:   
Hi Buster said:   

... but administration, tools, data types, built in functions, and the languages used for stored procedures vary considerably more.

Yeah, that's what took the 10 minutes.

Thank you OP!

Hey, thanks! I am searching for PERL and now I got it...

Nice, thanks!

Kept it in my inventory. I'm hopeful they may come handy sometime.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014