• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

I think people would be better off with a silicon dust product. Do your research before you buy from ceton.

Ceton is good if you're sticking with Windows and planning to ride that elevator to the 9th circle floor (if you catch my drift).

SiliconDust is much more open, and that does give them the edge in my book. But for 6 tuners this is a good deal.

can u use silicon with more then one pc, as in using another pc not hooked up to the silicondust as a tuner?

I have a Ceton quad tuner and love it, but it does bother me when it screws up and I have to run the diagnostics or restart the PC b/c it doesn't detect the tuners. It's not that often, but at LEAST once a month, which does get to be annoying. The most annoying thing is that every few weeks I will come home to watch something on the DVR (recorded TV section in Windows Media center) to notice that my show(s) weren't recorded b/c there was no tv signal detected at those particular times.

If it weren't for those issues, I would have already ordered this 6-tuner version... I'm still not 100% sure I will stay with Ceton forever... going to ride out this quad tuner to see if there are any improvements (hopefully via software).

SiliconDust is not more open that Ceton. Where do you get that?? Both use CableCARD, which limits the platforms that the product can be used on. Windows Media Center is the only platform approved by CableLabs for using a TV tuner with encrypted cable content. Both Ceton's and SD's products let you share tuners between more than 1 PC, except the Ceton model has 6 tuners to share, not just 3. Ceton has way more experience in this area -- they have 4 CableCARD models in the market; SiliconDust has 1. Ceton has been doing CableCARD tuners for quite a bit longer than SD as well.

I been looking to buy Ceton Infinitv 4 for a good price but, does HD HomeRun Prime record several DVR channels for my Windows Media Center ?

asuka said:   Ceton is good if you're sticking with Windows and planning to ride that elevator to the 9th circle floor (if you catch my drift).

SiliconDust is much more open, and that does give them the edge in my book. But for 6 tuners this is a good deal.

Why is that? I use my ceton 4 tuner card on linux and it works perfectly fine and records from my verizon fios perfectly. Can't imagine live without it. Would definitely go ceton again if mine went out. 6 tuners would be awesome with only 1 cable card monthly fee.  Try this on a silicondust box, you'll pay more monthly for sure...

Very good deal. I have a Hauppauge/silicondust dual tuner cable card tuner, it's been great (linux, mythtv). I'd *love* a 6-tuner card, and this is great deal. However, silicondust's new tuners do h.264 encoding, which will be *very* nice for storage, playback performance, etc. I'll wait on that, but this is a tempting deal.

can all 6 tuners run off a single cable card?

collinong said:   can all 6 tuners run off a single cable card?
  Yes, and I believe that's the maximum a cable card will support from what I've heard.

jumpfroggy said:   Very good deal. I have a Hauppauge/silicondust dual tuner cable card tuner, it's been great (linux, mythtv). I'd *love* a 6-tuner card, and this is great deal. However, silicondust's new tuners do h.264 encoding, which will be *very* nice for storage, playback performance, etc. I'll wait on that, but this is a tempting deal.

These tuners are CABLELABS compliant to work with protected content and Media Center. Will CABLELABS allow protected content to be saved as h.264 format, thus allowing for easy distribution of content to non authorized viewers?

mm60 said:   jumpfroggy said:   Very good deal. I have a Hauppauge/silicondust dual tuner cable card tuner, it's been great (linux, mythtv). I'd *love* a 6-tuner card, and this is great deal. However, silicondust's new tuners do h.264 encoding, which will be *very* nice for storage, playback performance, etc. I'll wait on that, but this is a tempting deal.

These tuners are CABLELABS compliant to work with protected content and Media Center. Will CABLELABS allow protected content to be saved as h.264 format, thus allowing for easy distribution of content to non authorized viewers?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014