New OS X Mavericks Free Upgrade

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just announced the New OS X Mavericks from apple will be free starting today, you can upgrade any mac computer back to 2007 models.  Upgrade available later today from the mac app store.  Upgrade Link

Member Summary

mavericks
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I started the upgrade @ 2:49PM EST So far at 1.7GB of 5.29GB. And this info might be a little more helpful.

OS X Mavericks supports the following Macs:
iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

huss417 said:   I started the upgrade @ 2:49PM EST So far at 1.7GB of 5.29GB. And this info might be a little more helpful.

OS X Mavericks supports the following Macs:
iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

Thanks for posting the additional information.  I just started downloading and have about 4gb left, it is a rather large file compared to previous OS X.

No problem. Glad I had it on the screen when I logged on here. I really thought they might give this for free as they did with OS 7 for iPad/iPhone but even if it was the 19.99-29.99 would still be worth it.

It seems to be moving right along I am now at 4.2GB. I made sure I did a complete back up to my external hard drive for the "just in case". Hopefully others will remember to do the same.

I just installed and did not have any issues. Working great and enjoying the new features, especially the free part.

I don't know what they did, but both of my Macs feel significantly quicker than they did on Mountain Lion, which I've never seen from an OSX update before. These are loaded boxes (Core i7, 16GB RAM) and I wasn't expecting a difference. Apple is even claiming about an hour more of battery life on the Macbook Pro on Mavericks versus Mountain Lion. This one is a no-brainer, especially considering the price.

Apple - OS X Mavericks - Advanced Technologies
Disclaimer
tooloud said:   I don't know what they did, but both of my Macs feel significantly quicker than they did on Mountain Lion, which I've never seen from an OSX update before. These are loaded boxes (Core i7, 16GB RAM) and I wasn't expecting a difference. Apple is even claiming about an hour more of battery life on the Macbook Pro on Mavericks versus Mountain Lion. This one is a no-brainer, especially considering the price.
  If you want to read about Mavericks making your computer faster you can read about it here .

I havent really started exploring it yet but the Keychain feature will change my life

About 30 minutes to download 5.3Gb file, about 20 minutes for the install.
FREE is good!
I will say that my Windows machine running on Parallels loaded faster than ever!
NOTE:  I have heard that Parallels 7/8 will not run on Mavericks, Parallels 9 is required.
Look for deals for reasonable prices on Parallels 8 with free upgrade to 9 (I did the one with Parallels and Viola from Newegg and got the upgrade with no problem, now expired though).

Thanks OP!

Parallels 8 runs fine. No problems, provided you've applied the patches to P8. It was early on in the developer's preview of 10.9 that there were problems with P8, but it's all been resolved.

I called Samsung to see if my Samsung Laser Printer would work with 10.9, they told me no and they did not know when a driver would be available. I hear iPhoto does not work either. Too many Apple users jump to take anything from Apple and then are disappointed they cannot print anymore or use iPhoto or other apps like iMovie 6.T

Had it for about 24 hours and worked a full day on my macbook air2010. Significantly snappier.
Notifications i can respond directly to (imessage, Skype, ect) is wonderful.
I don't like the iphone tone it plays though..

My 24" iMac is a model too old to run it and Apple is very unprofessional about upgrading mine to 10.7.  They don't offer a disk to upgrade it and my 10.5 version doesn't have the apps store feature to download purchase it. 

not really a deal, but still cool

Clean install vs upgrade for Maverick?

po90260 said:   My 24" iMac is a model too old to run it and Apple is very unprofessional about upgrading mine to 10.7.  They don't offer a disk to upgrade it and my 10.5 version doesn't have the apps store feature to download purchase it. 

Yeah they want you to buy 10.6 and run it for ten minutes so you can buy 10.7. Then they will have sold you too old OS and left you with no further upgrade path. They don't care. They are Apple - all image.  Their customer service actually told me that Maverick is the first free operating system in the world. I had to inform them that Linux is free and Linux servers rule the cloud. We have 2 Macs and 4 PCs and 1 Linux in our home.  Apple has the worst OS support.

myisland said:   
po90260 said:   My 24" iMac is a model too old to run it and Apple is very unprofessional about upgrading mine to 10.7.  They don't offer a disk to upgrade it and my 10.5 version doesn't have the apps store feature to download purchase it. 

Yeah they want you to buy 10.6 and run it for ten minutes so you can buy 10.7. Then they will have sold you too old OS and left you with no further upgrade path. They don't care. They are Apple - all image.  Their customer service actually told me that Maverick is the first free operating system in the world. I had to inform them that Linux is free and Linux servers rule the cloud. We have 2 Macs and 4 PCs and 1 Linux in our home.  Apple has the worst OS support.

I have a late 2006 MacBook that I previously tried to upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6). It ran  but  was VERY sluggish so I unistalled and have stayed with Leopard (10.5.8).
I know it's not in the compatible list for Maverick model years but is there a way of forcing the install? Hoping that the refinements that are reported to zippy up systems might help my older Mac.
Since as of the March 2014 Windows XP wll lose MS support and my trusty albeit older MacBook running 10.5.8 was unable to use newer browsers etc, I tried Linux Mint 15. Not that much of a learning curve, very fast and lightweight and totally FREE. If you've never tried it, dig out an old machine and give it a try. Familiar GUI that seems part Mac (Linux is after all open source UNIX) and part Microsoft (the bully on the block). Comes preloaded with Office Libre and GIMP photo editing which accomplish petty much anything I need from MS Office or PhotoShop. Do the install with wired internet and then download/install all upgrades and your wireless will work.
Oh, and for all you FWers, did I  mention that it is FREE!

belgique said:   I called Samsung to see if my Samsung Laser Printer would work with 10.9, they told me no and they did not know when a driver would be available. I hear iPhoto does not work either. Too many Apple users jump to take anything from Apple and then are disappointed they cannot print anymore or use iPhoto or other apps like iMovie 6.T
   iPhoto and IMovie have been given free updates after you install the new OS.

wickedotron said:   not really a deal, but still cool

Since when is FREE not a deal?

bargainron said:   
wickedotron said:   not really a deal, but still cool

Since when is FREE not a deal?

Really...If it's really bothering you NOT paying the $19.99 I can PM you my PayPal info

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014