• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Edit: It's been officially unveiled! And it's not only iPads! Looks like you can really put a T-Mobile SIM into any cellular tablet and get 200MB of free 4G LTE every month.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/23/t-mobile-goes-tablet-crazy-offers-free-200mb-monthly-data-0-down-for-all-tablets-including-ipad-air/         

Click under Bring Your Own Tablet to order a Mobile Internet SIM for $0.99: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/free-mobile-internet-data

T-Mobile's eligible devices list: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700  

T-Mobile purchase page (use the one above first, this one is older): http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/bring-your-own-tablet.html 

-

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-air                       

Scroll down to the section with carrier data pricing. I'm very curious how this will work and whether there's a limited timeframe.

$629 is still pricey for a 16GB iPad, but I have an older iPad that has cellular and I'd be super happy if T-Mobile lets people use those.

T-Mobile CEO's semi-secret announcement: http://twitter.com/JohnLegere                      

Edit:
The iPad Mini with Retina will be available on T-Mobile with the free 200MB plan
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-retina                      

The $299 ($429 for cellular unfortunately) original iPad Mini has a T-Mobile availability date: 10/31
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-mini                      

The iPad 2, I checked, is not being sold with any T-Mobile plans (still only AT&T and Verizon)

Member Summary

T-Mobile CEO is excited
Thanks AndrewNoNumbers
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
did u get the internet after calling the csr to activate or called them after internet is working?  why you call if your... (more)

caonima (Nov. 21, 2013 @ 4:12p) |

I tried with Streak 5 (unlocked and was working previously on a T-Mobile prepaid) with a new SIM from T-Mobile. The acti... (more)

jkpriyan (Nov. 28, 2013 @ 8:59p) |

Tablet needs to be ibe if the following

https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com/#jive-document?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv2%2Fdocu... (more)

seawolf21 (Nov. 28, 2013 @ 9:21p) |

verified that a prepaid T-Mobile micro-sim worked on ipad 1 w/3g.. just needed to set APN to epc.tmobile.com

A regular T-Mobile prepaid SIM card DOES work; you don't specifically need the Mobile Internet SIM. Put it in my Nexus 7 and activated no problem; didn't even need to configure settings.

Looking for 4G on your iPad? Use this coverage tool.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

nice catch!

asdf.

Nice find!
I think is only for the iPad Air but, you could always check with Tmob

thanks for the heads up. may just get one. man, i'm collecting too many gadgets from fatwallet.

$629 is pricey, but if you currently pay for data every month, it might come out ahead in the long run. Not a deal for me, but I think it's good for some people. Thanks OP

phatkrazy said:   Nice find!
I think is only for the iPad Air but, you could always check with Tmob

Looks like both generations of iPad Mini will work too, but have not seen anything from T-Mobile about whether we can bring old devices.

Note that no iPads support T-Mobile's native DC-HSDPA via Band 4 AWS 1700/2100, but it shouldn't matter assuming they finish converting all of their network by the end of the year to support DC-HSDPA Band 2 PCS 1900. They cover about 228 Million POPS using AWS and about 203 Million POPS using PCS. Also, you can add a mobile broadband plan to your current T-Mobile Plan with unlimited throttled data (128 Kbps) starting at $10 for 500MB high-speed and $20 for 2.5GB high-speed unless something changes tomorrow at 9AM @TMobile for #UnleashTheTablet.

But free is free of course

I wish carriers would offer dirt cheap data plans for those who still have the original ipad Cellular 3G.  It is not like we can hog a lot of data......

PhoenixMan said:   I wish carriers would offer dirt cheap data plans for those who still have the original ipad Cellular 3G.  It is not like we can hog a lot of data......

Dude! where you been! living under rock? Miss the caveman commerical
Freedompop unless there no coverage around you.

phatkrazy said:   
PhoenixMan said:   I wish carriers would offer dirt cheap data plans for those who still have the original ipad Cellular 3G.  It is not like we can hog a lot of data......

I don't see a free option from Freedompop, darn their misleading advertising. I do see "Free" with a what appears to be a mandatory $1.99 alert fee. I guess that is dirt cheap for 500mb… 

200MB will be gone too fast unless you have setting that prevent the frequent syncing for each app and dont use much video

ISGall said:   
phatkrazy said:   

I don't see a free option from Freedompop, darn their misleading advertising. I do see "Free" with a what appears to be a mandatory $1.99 alert fee. I guess that is dirt cheap for 500mb… 

There is NO mandatory alert fee. Just check "no thank you" and the $1.99 is REMOVED

And maybe we can get FatWallet CashBack on the purchase of one of these iPads to sweeten the deal?  Will give it a try. And I wonder if purchasing thru Apple's online store also qualifies for Discover's 5% Bonus CashBack for the "online shopping" promo that is going on right now. Hehe, Black Friday seems to start earlier every year.

neogeo53 said:   And maybe we can get FatWallet CashBack on the purchase of one of these iPads to sweeten the deal?  Will give it a try. And I wonder if purchasing thru Apple's online store also qualifies for Discover's 5% Bonus CashBack for the "online shopping" promo that is going on right now. Hehe, Black Friday seems to start earlier every year.

Note that buying from the Apple Store via Amex Membership Awards still gives 20% off through January, looks like.

I'm sorry but where can I see the free 200mb from Tmobile?

Is it worth it to get a tablet with cellular? Wi-Fi is everywhere, these days.

avicell said:   Is it worth it to get a tablet with cellular? Wi-Fi is everywhere, these days.

If you want GPS, then you need to get the cellular version of the tablet.  The wifi only tablets only use nearby wifi networks to identify your position, which is not as accurate to the point as GPS.

How do you get the 20% apple products via Amex membership awards? Is there a code?

lszyjka said:   How do you get the 20% apple products via Amex membership awards? Is there a code?
  I've never heard about a promotion like that

xpolarx said:   
lszyjka said:   How do you get the 20% apple products via Amex membership awards? Is there a code?

Can anyone who has a Amex Membership Awards (Rewards?) account check?

mannyv said:   Note that buying from the Apple Store via Amex Membership Awards still gives 20% off through January, looks like. 

Unless you have points to waste, this isn't a good deal still. The redemption rate of points to pay for purchases is far lower than what you can get from Airlines or even selling your points.

The 200mb is free with any tablet purchase, not just the iPad. The nexus 7 works too.

does only work if you purchase directly from T-Mobile??

xpolarx said:   

This is incorrect info. It should be 2% amex award from Apple Store.

Nice plan!

not a deal if you have to buy an iPad.

edit: after hearing it's on everything, this is a deal. but investing in a new iPad for the data, doesn't seem worth it. bonus if that's what you were planning on buying, otherwise it's only hot if you already have the capability imo.

hope they have a good trade in program, I have the 3rd gen 16gb ipad, wouldn't mind to trade it in if they will give me at least $300 for it.

Updated title in light of the announcement. I'm guessing T-Mobile is going to pick up a TON of new activations from this.

jocelynwoh said:   does only work if you purchase directly from T-Mobile??
  No, it says here    that you can use any tablet as long as it supports their network.

EDIT*** This next part later changed and that language is no longer on the page.There is no roll over to 2G

Also more interesting to me is that after 200MB you still get 2G internet the rest of the month. So its free with no overages and you won't get cutoff. That free 2G is huge IMO as its certainly fast enough for email and the odd website, twitter, etc. 
The Fine Print said: Full speeds available up to monthly allotment; then slowed to up to 2G speeds for rest of billing cycle

Don't you need existing tablet data service from a competing carrier in order to qualify for this deal?  So you can't just walk in and get this deal?

LongDongSilver said:   Don't you need existing tablet data service from a competing carrier in order to qualify for this deal?  So you can't just walk in and get this deal?
  Sure looks like it's open to anyone. 

willp2 said:   
  No, it says here    that you can use any tablet as long as it supports their network.

Also more interesting to me is that after 200MB you still get 2G internet the rest of the month. So its free with no overages and you won't get cutoff. That free 2G is huge IMO as its certainly fast enough for email and the odd website, twitter, etc. 
The Fine Print said: Full speeds available up to monthly allotment; then slowed to up to 2G speeds for rest of billing cycle

The 200MB free is a bucket of data. The non-high-speed unlimited only applies to when you pay $$$ for one of their plans.
LongDongSilver said:   Don't you need existing tablet data service from a competing carrier in order to qualify for this deal?  So you can't just walk in and get this deal?

They will charge you $10 for the SIM card, but otherwise yes you can just walk in and get this deal

phatkrazy said:   

I have Freedompop and I have coverage but the connection always drops, frustrating a can be

gonna try this.  Will buy a sim and put in my 1st gen AT&T ipad.  For emergency use if I ever need it.  Hope the 200mb is not just for lte

Time to dig out the Dell Streak 7

atomic50 said:   
willp2 said:   
  No, it says here      that you can use any tablet as long as it supports their network.

The 200MB free is a bucket of data. The non-high-speed unlimited only applies to when you pay $$$ for one of their plans.

Right you are, they have updated the language on the site to show that it's capped. Bummer, originally it looked like all you can eat 2G.

Sounds good on paper, but what used tablets out there can really get 4G LTE on t-mo besides buying new ones from them come November? I just picked up a used Kindle Fire HD AT&T 4G LTE and ordered a SIM today. Supposedly the SIM slots are unlocked I just need to set the apn. Will see what kind of speeds I get. TMO agent says I can return activated SIM within 30 days if I don't like the speed and activation fee is waived if done online. Kindle is returnable within 14 days with free return so it'll be bit of a learning experience.

Skipping 81 Messages...
Tablet needs to be ibe if the following

https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com/#jive-document?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv2%2Fdocuments%2F9700

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014