• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Not in my area. Was offered 25M for $24.99 for a lousy 6 months after talking to CS. I'm leaving Comcast since they now require a set top box for even the basic cable service which costs me $20+fees each month. I can't even use my own remote for my Samsung LCD TV. Wish I can just dump TV and go all streaming but I can't seem to get local news and sport regularly. AT&T Uverse can offer basic service for $15 but I don't know their fees though, but total should be < $22/mo I'm paying for Comcast.

shallot said:   Not in my area. Was offered 25M for $24.99 for a lousy 6 months after talking to CS. I'm leaving Comcast since they now require a set top box for even the basic cable service which costs me $20+fees each month. I can't even use my own remote for my Samsung LCD TV. Wish I can just dump TV and go all streaming but I can't seem to get local news and sport regularly. AT&T Uverse can offer basic service for $15 but I don't know their fees though, but total should be < $22/mo I'm paying for Comcast.

You can get local news and sports from the free broadcasts in your area - this is your best option as they offer the highest quality vs cable, satellite, or streaming.  Probably won't be a good way to stream them until Aereo is available in your area, or some similar service.

tdavis5432 said:   My address was previously a commercial office and when I go online it shows this deal is available however it has a problem with it and tells me "We're sorry, but your order cannot currently be processed. Please call 1-877-870-4310 to place your order. Or, you can enter a different address"... And unfortunately for me this offer is online only and the guy on the phone offered a 1 year for 29.99 with no agreement but I'd prefer the 2 year locked in rate with a contract. Anyone know a way to fix this?
  I want to get to 2 years service and buy my modem as well.  The only thing I see is $29.99 for 6months.  There is a commercial on the TV for Triple Play $19.99 for 6 months, but I just don't feel like playing their game.

thanks

Last week at WalMart in Indiana Pa. they were offering a promo for new customers only that sign up in the store. Their Double Play. Digital Premier package with 20 something mb internet and 2 FREE years of HBO, for $89.99 per month.

My recent Comcast bill said that as of Oct 1st all channels would be scrambled and require a set top box or digital adapter. I don't have just the coax connected to my tv so I haven't checked to see if it gets anything with just the tuner.

when google internet will be coming to bay area. These big companies are in bay area but we have only comcast.

yes, you can use your old cable modem.

Greymulkin said:   
shallot said:   Not in my area. Was offered 25M for $24.99 for a lousy 6 months after talking to CS. I'm leaving Comcast since they now require a set top box for even the basic cable service which costs me $20+fees each month. I can't even use my own remote for my Samsung LCD TV. Wish I can just dump TV and go all streaming but I can't seem to get local news and sport regularly. AT&T Uverse can offer basic service for $15 but I don't know their fees though, but total should be < $22/mo I'm paying for Comcast.

You can get local news and sports from the free broadcasts in your area - this is your best option as they offer the highest quality vs cable, satellite, or streaming.  Probably won't be a good way to stream them until Aereo is available in your area, or some similar service.

It appears AT&T's Uverse for basic TV is no long $15.  It's now $20 so I guess it was just a promotion offer.  Anyone using Uverse basic?  Can I use my own TV's remote as oppose  to ones supplied by the carrier similar to the dumb remote from Comcast?  As far as over the air TV, I can only reliably get 1 English channel and several Spanish channels.

Would like to hear anyone using their own telephony modem on Comcast. Arris TM722G or TM822G. Pricey modems but would like to get rid of Comcast's rental.

There's no TV options to go along with this. So I guess I need to find a DirectTV deal for 2 yrs for like $30 a month.

I am paying $65 for 20/5, that was too much for me, so I got online and talked to CR and it did not do anything, but at the end of the conversation when I told him that I am going to leave Comcast he told me that he can't do anything and gave me retention number and told me that
they might offer me something. I told him that I was going to disconnect and reconnect in 3 months as a new customer and get $29.99 deal for the new customers. He told me that I might do that ... In about 3 weeks I cold retention number and told them that I want to cancel the service.
They offered me a deal to get $20 off my bill and I agree. Now my internet bill without cable is gonna be $45 bucks, for a year ...

The 29.99 deal is live in south Jersey. I signed up online and the installer came out the next day to run a line ($30 labor). Bought a closeout Moto modem at Ratshak. Speedtest says 23Mbps down, 4.8Mbps up. Verizon is raising all their FIOS rates next billing cycle, so this Comcast deal is great timing! I should save $600 over the 24-month contract.

Thanks, f2000sa!

CSK096 said:   
f2000sa said:   Comcast used to require basic cable service if you order internet.   Do they still require this? Do they still transmit local TV stations if you order only internet service?
  I have Comcast for just over 1 yr and it started with all the local TV channels coming thru the coax cable.  Then about 3 mos ago, all of a sudden I don't get any TV channels anymore.  So YMMV.

Last week my local channels through Comcast got encoded and stopped working. Had to put in an antenna in my attic. No big deal - makes me less dependent on these idiots.

Buckmann said:   Verizon is raising all their FIOS rates next billing cycle, so this Comcast deal is great timing! I should save $600 over the 24-month contract.

Link to info about VZ FIOS rate hike?

What a joke.  They offered $49.95/mo for 6 Mbps Internet only.  Atlanta, GA.

I'm dumping Comcast as well. They offer fast internet, but cable's a rip and they've scrambled all of their digital channels, QAM tuners are useless forcing you to rent their set top boxes. Unfortunately I'm unable to pickup OTA broadcast signals in my area without a large antenna. For internet, switching to DSL, which now has 40gb fiber in my neighborhood, for $30/month for first year. May switch back to Comcast HSI after the year is up depending on what they're offering. For phone, picked up an OOMA box, so only about $4/month. On TV, may just cut the cord since you can now stream most network shows on a one day lag. May try a Hulu Plus subscription. Only negatives are no live sporting events and USA network shows are on a one month delay, but gonna save $140 a month.

For those who had service before, when signing up online, do you get charged for installation fee if you state you have your own modem?

I get to the point where they ask for my DOB and SSN. I don't want to share that information only to find the installation cost...

For those who had service before, when signing up online, do you get charged for installation fee if you state you have your own modem?

It depends on the address. I had service two years ago and was told my address was not qualified by self-install. The install fee is $35

I am paying lot more for blast and I find that waste. After several phone calls in several past months, they won't give me performance for 29.99. I am in Baltimore and unfortunately we don't have any other internet provider except FIOS. Fortunately, 29.99 for 2 years is available in my area.
Any one knows if I can cancel my service and the same day my wife sign up as new customer? I heard that there is 90 days waiting period for promotion service at same address. Is that still true?

Thanks,

nanga said: Any one knows if I can cancel my service and the same day my wife sign up as new customer? I heard that there is 90 days waiting period for promotion service at same address. Is that still true?

I'm in the process of trying to do exactly this. I'll let you know if I have any success. (DC Area)

Thanks!

nanga said:   I am paying lot more for blast and I find that waste. After several phone calls in several past months, they won't give me performance for 29.99. I am in Baltimore and unfortunately we don't have any other internet provider except FIOS. Fortunately, 29.99 for 2 years is available in my area.
Any one knows if I can cancel my service and the same day my wife sign up as new customer? I heard that there is 90 days waiting period for promotion service at same address. Is that still true?

Thanks,

I did something like it.  Probably not what Comcast wants to happen, but it is possible.  The rules says a new customer, not new household. 

You can open a new a/c via chat, and they may not ask about relationship given same last name.  New a/c can only be scheduled only if there is a cancellation on 1st a/c.

I first tried to overlap (have 2nd a/c activated before cancellation of 1st) but that wasn't allowed.  I had to cancel 1st a/c (with a future date) and then someone else opened a "new" a/c.  The new a/c was opened before my cancellation date, but there were problems:
Existing a/c was Triple Play with TV, phone and Internet.  Service continued on even though new a/c was established, though 1st a/c was deemed closed (despite still working).  
I lost my phone # as my a/c was closed.  Port out couldn't [readily, if at all possible] be done after the a/c was "closed" despite still working.

YMMV ... this is what I did for self-install/install charge.

I cancelled service then signed up again a week later (different information). I was quoted for a $50 install fee. I kept pushing my install appointment until the signal became active and self-installed. It took three months and two attempts but I got the $50 fee credited.

websquirrel said:   
f2000sa said:   sign up under your spouse/roommate/dog!

They do ask for your socio. 

Last time I signed up, they asked for a social. I told them I was in witness protection, and they waived the deposit they usually charge for not having a SSN.

People in WPP do get a new SS to use

Cancelled service and returned equipment yesterday. Wife called today and was told that current account/service is "still active" at the address, and we need to call back tomorrow. Didn't sound like they had a problem with her signing up as a new account. Fingers crossed.

sportsriot said:   Cancelled service and returned equipment yesterday. Wife called today and was told that current account/service is "still active" at the address, and we need to call back tomorrow. Didn't sound like they had a problem with her signing up as a new account. Fingers crossed.

Please keep us updated as I plan on doing this myself.

They require a Social Seurity number, so signing up under anything but yourself is impossible. If you are an old Comcast customer, trying to get a better deal, it is almost impossible. I just spent over one hour in chat trying to get this deal. You have to jump through hoops of fire.

So, if you are signing up at same address with wife' name;
need to cancel on day 1, wait a day or 2 for cancellation to take effect in their system, and then sign up for new account under wife' name on day 3?

nanga said:   I am paying lot more for blast and I find that waste. After several phone calls in several past months, they won't give me performance for 29.99. I am in Baltimore and unfortunately we don't have any other internet provider except FIOS. Fortunately, 29.99 for 2 years is available in my area.

Thanks,

Why on earth would you choose comcast over fios given the choice?  I am in your neck of the woods and wouldn't go back to comcast willingly. You pay less and get more on fios. 

I have been trying to get $29.99 deal, but no luck. I called & chat several times with various phone# and still no luck. Wish Fios available where I am. I heard many good things about Fios service.

Who gives better deal in Northern Virginia - Comcast/Verizon?

One can always choose to move to areas covered by Google or move to next to StarBuck.

IndianInUSA said:   Who gives better deal in Northern Virginia - Comcast/Verizon?
  Verizon, no question about it. But don't trust me - just consult the inter webs. 

In for one. Thanks OP. So much cheaper than FIOS mandatory bundling in my area (Montgomery County, Maryland).

What kind of hardware do you need for Verizon Fios Internet service?

I'm cancelling my fios after 6 months to get this deal. The Early Term fee is only $140 and I already got my $200 gift card. With Netflix, Amazon prime, chromecast, I barely need cable and I'll be saving $70 a month

speedy777 said:   What kind of hardware do you need for Verizon Fios Internet service?
  Verizon provides everything, including the router/modem

reddhead said:   
sportsriot said:   Cancelled service and returned equipment yesterday. Wife called today and was told that current account/service is "still active" at the address, and we need to call back tomorrow. Didn't sound like they had a problem with her signing up as a new account. Fingers crossed.

Please keep us updated as I plan on doing this myself.

most certainly works. i did this the last time they jacked up my promo rates; disconnected, albeit a few days to learn just how miserable ATT was, then came back under wife's name no prob. about to do the same as they just jacked her up to 64.99. i'll cancel her, then sign up myself a day or two later.

tjmxxx said:   They require a Social Seurity number, so signing up under anything but yourself is impossible. If you are an old Comcast customer, trying to get a better deal, it is almost impossible. I just spent over one hour in chat trying to get this deal. You have to jump through hoops of fire.
  what do you mean by 'old customer'. i think 90 day rinse ought to due it for one social, then you can repeat. if you're flipping between yourself and spouse/room mate, etc. then this shouldn't be an issue as one social will at least get you 180 days at prime pricing.

Link dead?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014