• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
$99 HTC EVO Freedompop first month free unlimited voice/txt 1day only while supply last (88 left now)

http://www.freedompop.com/phonebetainvite?&ui=a413005c5d8c41f9837c7c827b950fa6&uc=N9fqHnYIh19tT3es7Mf2yoIPjQ8  

FreedomPop
See FreedomPop discounts that earn $5.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

HTC EVO FreedomPop
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
How long does it take to receive the phone?  3weeks and still waiting.

joebloe (Jan. 02, 2014 @ 2:38p) |

I ordered on Nov 19 and still waiting. Got hold of a customer Rep after a ....long hold. I was told that my phone's tent... (more)

cbscbs (Jan. 02, 2014 @ 2:41p) |

I ordered on 11/8/13 and received it on 12/28/13. It was supposed to arrive 2 days earlier.

Trust me it's worth the wait... (more)

ablang (Jan. 03, 2014 @ 6:42a) |

REFURBISHED HTC EVO Design 12GB Android Smart Phone, 4G Internet speed, 5MP Camera, 12GBs memory, 1.2 Ghz Processor. This phone is not LTE compatible. Phone is new for $139 and refurbished for about $80 from other sellers.

If you don't like the phone, wait as Freedompop plans to add more phones later this year.

Voice service is VOIP over Clearwire's WiMax 4G network (owned by Sprint) so coverage, reliability, and voice quality will vary accordingly. Since it's VOIP, it cannot be compared to voice calls on any other carrier. People on the Howard Forums FP thread are pointing out that VoIP on 3G doesn't sound good - you really need WiMax. Sprint's WiMax isn't available everywhere - check out this coverage map.

Basic 200 (Free): 200 voice minutes, 500 text, 500 mb 4G/3G data. VOIP calls do not incur data usage.
Premium 500 ($7.99): 500 voice minutes, unlimited text, 500 mb 4G/3G data. VOIP calls do not incur data usage.
Unlimited ($10.99): unlimited voice minutes, unlimited text, 500 mb 4G/3G data. VOIP calls do not incur data usage.
1 cent/minute over allotment.

Data overage cost
2.5 cents/MB or $25/GB over allotment. That means one HD episode will cost you at least $25. A movie can easily cost $50 to $75. Data users should think long and hard about this. Alternatively, you can buy 1 GB data/month for $10. If you do this, your data overage cost will be $10/GB instead of $25/GB.

Customer service is sub-par compared to all carriers. Note the lack of phone number on the contact page. The support number (888) 915-2647 listed on the support page is only active 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday (Worse than bankers hours). Some users have reported them taking weeks to ship the internet devices.

$2.49/month voicemail is checked by default so make sure you UNCHECK it. *Cough* Google Voice.

You are signing up for the $10.99 plan
You must cancel to revert to the free 200 minute plan or they will continue to bill you for the $10.99 plan. Subscription begins when you click activate so if they take 2 weeks to ship your phone, you only have 2 weeks left. Two users on this thread have reported receiving the phone after 20 and 24 days leaving just 6-10 days to try the service.

This is the fine print on the order page:

"Unlimited Voice Plan - 100% FREE for the first month. This trial is only available for a limited time. You can cancel your trial anytime on site or by calling customer support. You'll continue to receive your voice and text every month for only 10.99 after your trial period expires.
Your subscription begins when you click Activate. Cancel service by contacting support. By clicking Activate, you authorize Freedompop to charge the Monthly Total provided above at the beginning of each subscription period. You can change your plan at anytime. See Terms of Use for subscription details."

Number porting
Phone number porting is not available but you can port your existing mobile number to Google Voice for $20. Note that doing this will disconnect your mobile service and you may incur an early termination fee if you're on contract. Once your number is ported, you can then configure Google Voice to ring your new Freedompop mobile number.
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HTC
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

thanks

BigMunch said:   What area code is working ? thanks
  I believe that you have to be in the (Sprint ) CLEAR / Wimax coverage area .

http://www.clear.com/coverage 
Look at their coverage maps.

Unlimited Talk and Text - 100% FREE for the first month. This trial is only available for a limited time. You can cancel your trial anytime on site or by calling customer support. You'll continue to receive unlimited talk and text every month for only $10.99 after your trial period expires.

No overage penalties. Additional voice minutes and texts can be purchased on a pay-as-you go basis for just 1 cent per minute or text.
Additional data can be purchased for 2 1/2 cents per MB.

$10.99 Plan
Unlimited Voice Minutes
Unlimited Texts
500MB 4G/3G Data

Received mine about a week ago.
Nice phone and seems to work fine,
but am using another phone for one more week until its contract ends.

now -37 left...

It's actually an "HTC EVO Design"
(a bit clunkier than say an HTC Evo 4G LTE
but nicer than say an HTC EVO 4G)

Cheapstuffs said:   Unlimited Talk and Text - 100% FREE for the first month. This trial is only available for a limited time. You can cancel your trial anytime on site or by calling customer support. You'll continue to receive unlimited talk and text every month for only $10.99 after your trial period expires.

No overage penalties. Additional voice minutes and texts can be purchased on a pay-as-you go basis for just 1 cent per minute or text.
Additional data can be purchased for 2 1/2 cents per MB.

$10.99 Plan
Unlimited Voice Minutes
Unlimited Texts
500MB 4G/3G Data

I'm confused. Why would you need additional minutes if it's unlimited?

FYI, it says the phone is a refurb.

after the 1st month you have to pay something
if you use more than 200 minutes/month,
but if you pay $10/month it's unlimited minutes

Worked for me!  Thanks OP!

Tempting... I already have the Photon and it's pretty handy in conjunction with Pageplus. Even though I'm a pretty light user, I don't think I could rely on this as my main phone esp in my area though... coverage seems spotty at best

Looks like only area between NYC and Phillie is supported.

Hi everyone , First time posting here with a Quick question ,

Can you port your number to freedom Pop ?
Because i do not see that option at checkout .

Love this concept. Note that the battery doesn't even last 1/3 of a day. Those who need an all-day phone may want to consider it before switching over their primary number.

Freedompop phone needs data to stay connected, and this seems to require more power during standby. I received the phone a few days ago. Even with just 3G, the phone used up a fully charged battery in less than 6 hours with very little data usage. Another complaint is that the 4G connections are not very reliable even at supposedly "strong signal" areas.

I'll stay with Freedompop to see if they can improve battery life, but I recommend bringing a spare phone/battery for longer trips.

rich123 said:   Looks like only area between NYC and Phillie is supported.
  This phone runs on the complete Sprint 3G and Clearwire 4G networks. Anywhere you have Sprint, you'll have service.

rockero504 said:   Hi everyone , First time posting here with a Quick question ,

Can you port your number to freedom Pop ?
Because i do not see that option at checkout .

At this time, no.

Posted this in the member summary. Reposting here.

REFURBISHED HTC EVO Design 12GB Android Smart Phone, 4G Internet speed, 5MP Camera, 12GBs memory, 1.2 Ghz Processor. This phone is not LTE compatible. Phone is new for $139 and refurbished for about $80 from other sellers.

If you don't like the phone, wait as Freedompop plan to add more phones later this year.

Voice service is VOIP over Clearwire's WiMax 4G network (owned by Sprint) so coverage, reliability, and voice quality will vary accordingly. Since it's VOIP, it cannot be compared to voice calls on any other carrier.

Basic 200 (Free): 200 voice minutes, 500 text, 500 mb 4G/3G data. VOIP calls do not incur data usage.
Premium 500 ($7.99): 500 voice minutes, unlimited text, 500 mb 4G/3G data. VOIP calls do not incur data usage.
Unlimited ($10.99): unlimited voice minutes, unlimited text, 500 mb 4G/3G data. VOIP calls do not incur data usage.
1 cent/minute over allotment.

Data overage cost
2.5 cents/MB or $25/GB over allotment. That means one HD episode will cost you at least $25. A movie can easily cost $50 to $75. Data users should think long and hard about this. Alternatively, you can buy 1 GB data/month for $10. If you do this, your data overage cost will be $10/GB instead of $25/GB.

Customer service is sub-par compared to all carriers. Note the lack of phone number on the contact page. The support number (888) 915-2647 listed on the support page is only active 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday (Worse than bankers hours). Some users have reported them taking weeks to ship the internet devices.

$2.49/month voicemail is checked by default so make sure you UNCHECK it. *Cough* Google Voice.

You are signing up for the $10.99 plan
You must cancel to revert to the free 200 minute plan or they will continue to bill you for the $10.99 plan. Subscription begins when you click activate so if they take 2 weeks to ship your phone, you only have 2 weeks left. This is the fine print on the order page:

"Unlimited Voice Plan - 100% FREE for the first month. This trial is only available for a limited time. You can cancel your trial anytime on site or by calling customer support. You'll continue to receive your voice and text every month for only 10.99 after your trial period expires.
Your subscription begins when you click Activate. Cancel service by contacting support. By clicking Activate, you authorize Freedompop to charge the Monthly Total provided above at the beginning of each subscription period. You can change your plan at anytime. See Terms of Use for subscription details."

Sold out.

HashDeal said:   Love this concept. Note that the battery doesn't even last 1/3 of a day. Those who need an all-day phone may want to consider it before switching over their primary number.

Freedompop phone needs data to stay connected, and this seems to require more power during standby. I received the phone a few days ago. Even with just 3G, the phone used up a fully charged battery in less than 6 hours with very little data usage. Another complaint is that the 4G connections are not very reliable even at supposedly "strong signal" areas.

I'll stay with Freedompop to see if they can improve battery life, but I recommend bringing a spare phone/battery for longer trips.

They updated the Freedompop Messaging app (the VOIP calling app) on 10/28 in the App Store and that has helped improve battery life.

They also sent an email out a few days ago with a link to get a free replacement battery.

Where is the link for requesting a battery replacement? Please PM me the link. Thanks,

can you either post or pm me the battery link?

wonderful99 said:   Where is the link for requesting a battery replacement? Please PM me the link. Thanks,
  The link is specific to each account. Check your email and/or spam folder for a message titled "Freedom Phone Battery Improvement". I received the email on 10/29.

Nice topic alert system.
EVERY topic alert I have works except for the one I crated for Freedompop - what gives?
I would definitely like another of these - if for nothing else - just the data!
I did notice that when I added apps to mine from the google play website, that mine was once a BOOST mobile phones - I wonder if that means that the few boost phones I have in boxes will be eligible for their projected BYOD program there has been rumor of.

vinster said:   They updated the Freedompop Messaging app (the VOIP calling app) on 10/28 in the App Store and that has helped improve battery life.

They also sent an email out a few days ago with a link to get a free replacement battery.

Thanks for the heads up, vinster, but the 6-hour battery life was already with the most updated Freedompop app. I never received the battery email though. May be they're out of batteries?

HashDeal said:   
vinster said:   They updated the Freedompop Messaging app (the VOIP calling app) on 10/28 in the App Store and that has helped improve battery life.

Thanks for the heads up, vinster, but the 6-hour battery life was already with the most updated Freedompop app. I never received the battery email though. May be they're out of batteries?

Call their support number at (888) 915-2647. I called a few days ago on another issue and got someone within minutes who spoke native English..

Says no coverage in my area but the coverage map shows 3g in this region. I have a Boost phone and I always have a strong signal and had a Sprint phone previously. Does anyone have a Freedompop phone that uses it in a 3g area?
Thanks!

My question answered here:Can we use the Voice services in 3G coverage?Yes, but quality may suffer. We recommend using our voice services over a 4G or WiFi connection for optimal quality.

You have raised a great point.I use 4500mah batteries on an Evo,can not imagine batt consumption with the standard 1500mah bbattery  constantly fueling data connection, even if you hardly talk.

Grablife said:   Posted this in the member summary. Reposting here.

Warning!!!!!!!!

They are now selling the inferior Sprint HTC EVO 4G...
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC-EVO-4G_id4382   

not the Boost HTC EVO Design 4G that were sold at launch.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC-EVO-Design-4G_id5465    

lowerJerZey said:   
Grablife said:   Posted this in the member summary. Reposting here.

Warning!!!!!!!!

They are now selling the inferior Sprint HTC EVO 4G...
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC-EVO-4G_id4382    

not the Boost HTC EVO Design 4G that were sold at launch.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC-EVO-Design-4G_id5465     

You're kidding right?
a $99 phone with FREE service is a deal no matter how you dissect it
Hello, gift horse, may I look inside your mouth?
I think I might even prefer the evo 4g, it has a bigger screen.  android version makes no never mind to me as long as it gets the free data and makes the free calls and texts.

lemonhead said:    You're kidding right?
I think I might even prefer the evo 4g, it has a bigger screen.  android version makes no never mind to me as long as it gets the free data and makes the free calls and texts.

Not really sure if you read my post clearly.  I never mocked the service.  I actually want this but missed the first round where they were offering the EVO Design.  Now that this offer is back, it is with a lesser phone.  Someone like me who wanted this, may not notice that they are offering a lower quality phone (1.5 years older with lesser everything except screen size .3").  Hence, I put out the warning about the switch.  I never said or implied anything about the service or the deal.

Hey, if you're in dire need to have the phone right now, this very instant, and you're happy with a crappier phone for the same price of the previous better phone, by all means.  Else, wait for a better phone to be offered or the rumored BYOD.

lowerJerZey said:   
lemonhead said:    You're kidding right?

Not really sure if you read my post clearly.  I never mocked the service.  I actually want this but missed the first round where they were offering the EVO Design.  Now that this offer is back, it is with a lesser phone.  Someone like me who wanted this, may not notice that they are offering a lower quality phone (1.5 years older with lesser everything except screen size .3").  Hence, I put out the warning about the switch.  I never said or implied anything about the service or the deal.

Hey, if you're in dire need to have the phone right now, this very instant, and you're happy with a crappier phone for the same price of the previous better phone, by all means.  Else, wait for a better phone to be offered or the rumored BYOD.

I did read your post, and hit the link. And I realize you weren't bashing the service, but no need for the WARNING label - This service isn't made for folks wanting devices like a Note 3 - it's designed for those that want/need a service that is so cheap, it shouldn't matter what the device is that costs $100 - the company has to make money somehow - and I'd bet they're profiting a few extra dollars by selling this lesser device at the same price so that they can keep the service the way it is and stay in business.
I also can't wait for the rumored BYOD option - I have an evo4g (the original evo 4g) and a Samsung galaxy epic that I would attach to this service in a heartbeat if they offered it - and those devices predate the current offering - but are good enough to make phone calls and "spend" 500MB of FREE data!

I agree about missing the point... Actually this is a wonderful phone compared to the Prevail that was Boost's first Android offering. At the cost of the phone service just plan on swapping it out in six months when there is a BYOD or more choices.

kenmarks said:   I agree about missing the point... Actually this is a wonderful phone compared to the Prevail that was Boost's first Android offering. At the cost of the phone service just plan on swapping it out in six months when there is a BYOD or more choices.
  the big question I have about the boost phones, is that ringplus had an issue that all the Virgin Mobile AND boost mobile phones that were signed up were being removed from the ringplus network over some contract issue - I wonder, since the first round of phones that FP has sent out were BOOST devices, does that mean that other boost devices might be able to be put on the network if/when they start doing BYOD - I have half a dozen boost devices that are just begging for service and this would be perfect - since they are newer than my legacy Sprint devices that i still use around the house.

I see a loophole in their data service: you can "share" data between friends, so why not get a couple of extra phones on the free service to use occasionally at home to maintain service and then "share" the data with your own phone?

lemonhead said:     I did read your post, and hit the link. And I realize you weren't bashing the service, but no need for the WARNING label - This service isn't made for folks wanting devices like a Note 3 - it's designed for those that want/need a service that is so cheap, it shouldn't matter what the device is that costs $100 - the company has to make money somehow - and I'd bet they're profiting a few extra dollars by selling this lesser device at the same price so that they can keep the service the way it is and stay in business.
I also can't wait for the rumored BYOD option - I have an evo4g (the original evo 4g) and a Samsung galaxy epic that I would attach to this service in a heartbeat if they offered it - and those devices predate the current offering - but are good enough to make phone calls and "spend" 500MB of FREE data!

Dude, it's like I'm arguing with my wife...  creating a non-issue, using irrelevancies as arguments, and going off topic.*

Since you're having such difficulty with understanding the point of my initial post, here it is nice and simple:
Warning, they switched to a crappier phone!

Before you respond to this easy to understand sentence above, realize that what I stated is a fact.  You can't really argue against this fact, unless your argument is about the phone not being crappier, which would then negate the fact that a warning was warranted.  If you try to argue against this statement, you're most likely guilty of *(see above).  Anything you could possibly say to try and refute the above sentence will likely fall under one of *'s 3 categories.  Look at your previous posts.  You're already guilty of *.  You proceeded to rant about me kidding you, gift horses mouths, the companies profits, not wanting Note 3s, sticking up for the junkier device with the excuse that the plan is free, and so on.  I'm sure you'll be guilty of * again, you've proven that you can't help yourself.  Or, you'll just ignore the simplified, bold, underline fact and merely try to contest the fact that you're guilty of *, which actually falls under *.

Type "arguing over the internet is like" into google and read the autocompletes. I too am guilty.

edit: Ok. Cancel that question.  I see it's Sprint.  Too bad.

Is the Evo unlocked? And is Freedompop sim-based such that I can pop the sim card into another phone?

Skipping 7 Messages...
I ordered on 11/8/13 and received it on 12/28/13. It was supposed to arrive 2 days earlier.

Trust me it's worth the wait. I love this phone.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014