• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
LINK
$708 shipped on Amazon after $50 credit voucher. Plus 5% back On my Chase card this quarter. This seems like a really good deal.

I've been torn between the Optoma HD131Xe, Optoma HD25e, and BenQ W1070. For the price, the 131Xe seems like the best bet. Any suggestions? I'm not a big techie, so I don't think I would fully appreciate the features of a higher end machine. Thoughts?
Thanks!

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Optoma HD131Xe (23.09kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:

Very good deal.

Great price, great specs.

DLP will give you great quality. For me, I needed lens shift functionality so I went with an Epson LCD model. With lens shift, you can mount projector anywhere and then adjust lens to point image nearly anywhere (left, right, up, down).

With DLP, you must have it mounted in the middle of the room. That's your only downside.

thanks for the insight

That would be a huge upgrade from my very old infocus X1

Ok, looked at the distance calculator and it has a very nice room light max calculation as well. Even at 2500 lumens the room would need to have very low ambient light to look good according to their calculator.

Been holding out for the BenQ myself. Dropped about $50 2 months or so ago but didn't have the cash to pull the trigger. Great machine w/ great reviews.

PutThatCoffeeDOWN said:   Great price, great specs.

DLP will give you great quality. For me, I needed lens shift functionality so I went with an Epson LCD model. With lens shift, you can mount projector anywhere and then adjust lens to point image nearly anywhere (left, right, up, down).

With DLP, you must have it mounted in the middle of the room. That's your only downside.

Lens shifting is really only a feature on the higher end projectors from Epson that cost 4-5x the cost of this one. The lower-end (still more expensive) Epson's have the keystone adjustment feature if you want to mount if off-center. The problem is that it degrades the image quality, potentially noticeably.

It says its LED based light but I don't believe thats true. If it was this would be a no brainer for 1080p at ~750

I'm looking around for my 3rd (or is it 4rth?) inexpensive home projector. What works for you will depend very much on where you will put it.
For me, I'm in a living room and brighter is better. The projector is mounted above the primary seating so noise has proven quite important.

Things to check:
-bulb cost: varies from $100-$400 so it matters
-bulb life: Many manufacturers lie. I currently have an Epson that in bright mode lasts about 1/3 of its rated life. Looking online, many see the same thing for my Epson. Mine is ceiling mounted with plenty of ventilation so getting 1/3 is a rip off.
-lumens: Many manufacturers lie. For example, here's a 2000 lumen Optoma that tests at about 1000 lumen. this is not unusual: http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma_hd25_home_theater_projector_review.htm?page=Performance 
-throw distance: you have to make sure the screen you buy will match where you plan to mount the projector.
-noise: some are loud and as near as I can tell there is no meaningful standard. Did some I mention some manufacturers lie? It also matter which direction the projector vents. It worse if its right at where you plan to sit.

I wouldn't buy any projector for which there wasn't a professional review that measured real light output and noise and I would always check the lamp cost.  I couldn't find a review for this projector and the reviews of similar products from the same manufacturer show very low light output compared to the claim (Optoma HD25 for example.) Why pay $700 for a claimed 2000 lumens when a competitor offers a real 2000 lumens for the same money? For example, here's a much brighter projector that is often about the same price: http://www.projectorcentral.com/acer_h6510bd_3d_home_video_projector_review.htm 
But the fan is loud so it doesn't work for me. OTOH, if you have a very dark room, maybe brighter doesn't matter.

Good Luck.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014