• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Nice! Thank's for the post!

Fine free literature like this takes a minute to learn...a lifetime to master.

I do not intend to be a thread-crapper, because I understand these downloads are nice and easy, but you can get free versions of all literary works that are no longer in the public domain at the Gutenberg Project site.  I download the books to my IPad. It's come in really handy when my daughter needs a book for her high school courses - available 24/7 - and free. They download in the Kindle format too.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Gutenberg's ARE in the public domain now, you mean janesdtr. Lots of great stuff there. I haven't looked at this Kindle version, but generally a paid version of a public work might include some additional material like historical info about the work or author. And for Shakespeare, footnotes. Those can all add some value depending on the work and your interest. I don't think any of the gutenberg.org books I've read included anything but the raw text, though it's been some years since my last. They were all excellent quality there (no format problems or OCR mistakes).

Gosh yes, I meant to say are in the public domain. You're right, the editions may not have certain annotations, etc.

janesdtr, thanks for reminding me about Project Gutenberg. And, Slim Tim's right: they'll be older publications so, ymmv their relative utility. But...

There is one, clear advantage to Gutenberg's offerings over Amazon's though: the books offered by Gutenberg are truly free and can never be pulled back, unlike Amazon's offerings. It's the difference between free, as in free speech and free, as in free beer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014