• CPU Benchmark 2171
  • Might want to increase Ram
  • Comes with 32 and 64 bit disc

Member Summary

HP
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I was faced with that task two years ago with a client who started using a 32-bit Windows system I bought him before the... (more)

Solandri (Nov. 26, 2013 @ 3:44p) |

I found it very easy to upgrade to the included 64 bit OS. After initial setup -- just restart the machine with the 64bi... (more)

headhntr (Nov. 26, 2013 @ 4:00p) |

headhntr (Nov. 26, 2013 @ 4:00p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm not sure why this is a hot deal?

This PC must be 5 years old.

Is it a *full* version of Windows 7 that you could reuse on a fresh install on your real computer (I only have the stupid upgrade license, which is a PITA to deal with)? If so I guess you could consider the PC almost free.

What ram can we upgrade this with ? I have a very old Dell dimension 2350 with plenty of ram, can I use it in this system?

johnnookum said:   What ram can we upgrade this with ? I have a very old Dell dimension 2350 with plenty of ram, can I use it in this system?
  click

Got this info from geeks.com:

Features/Specifications:

• HP dc7900 CMT Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz Convertible Mini Tower PC

• General Features:
  • Convertible Mini Tower form factor
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed w/CoA
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz processor
  • 1333 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 cache, Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x), Intel 64, Idle States, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, Thermal Monitoring Technologies, Execute Disable Bit
  • Intel Q45 Express chipset
  • 2 GB DDR2 RAM (8 GB maximum)
  • 160 GB SATA hard drive
  • DVD±RW LightScribe drive
  • No floppy drive
  • Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500
  • Integrated High Definition audio
  • Integrated Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection Ethernet
  • Power button
  • Hard drive and power LEDs

• Motherboard Features:
  • Two (2) PCI Express x16 slot
  • Three (3) PCI Express x1 slots
  • Three (3) PCI slots
  • Four (4) 240-pin DIMM sockets
  • Four (4) SATA ports (two occupied)

• Front I/O Ports:
  • Two (2) USB 2.0
  • One (1) 3.5 mm Headphone out
  • One (1) 3.5 mm Microphone in

• Rear I/O Ports:
  • Two (2) PS/2
  • One (1) 9-pin serial
  • One (1) 15-pin VGA
  • One (1) 25-pin parallel
  • Six (6) USB 2.0
  • One (1) RJ-45 Ethernet
  • One (1) 3.5 mm Line-in audio
  • One (1) 3.5 mm Line-out audio

• Case Features:
  • Three (3) 5.25-inch external drive bays (one occupied)
  • One (1) 3.5-inch external drive bay
  • Two (2) 3.5-inch internal drive bays (one occupied)
  • 365-watt power supply (100 - 240V, 50/60Hz)

• Dimensions:
  • 17.63 x 7 x 17.8-inches (H x W x D, approximate)

dafish said:   
johnnookum said:   What ram can we upgrade this with ? I have a very old Dell dimension 2350 with plenty of ram, can I use it in this system?
  click

So its Un-buffered PC2-6400 800 MHz-compliant. so I take it my Dell ram is DDR PC2700 and DDR 3200 and will not work correct?
who has the best price on these?

Add a $10AR graphics card and you have a decent HTPC

going to be great computer for parent that only surfs web and email......

johnnookum said:   
dafish said:   
  click

So its Un-buffered PC2-6400 800 MHz-compliant. so I take it my Dell ram is DDR PC2700 and DDR 3200 and will not work correct?
who has the best price on these?

Correct, you will need DDR2.  Check eBay.

This specs will fly with 8G memory and a SSD.

These would make great counter strike computers...anyone have any specs that I should upgrade to?

This seems like a descent deal for an industrial grade PC.  We buy pallets of these 7900s and Dell OptiPlex 755 with identical specs to this 7900 for $8 each from multiples govt and state surplus. It cost $35 for the Windows 7 Pro refurbisher licensess on them and we invest another ~$10 in labor costs to clean and install Windows. We wholesale them in pallet quantities for $80 + FOB. On top of that buyers must supply a keyboard, mouse, and AC power cable which easily cost another $10. Add to that the cost of individual packing each one and the free shipping they are offering and vendor supplying Newegg cannot be making much of a profit. 

want to upgrade the memory, who has the cheapest price for this memory?

OOS again.

Well, nice surprise. I got in on this when it first posted a few days ago. Opened the box today and there is room below the DVD drive to accept another HD. There is already a power plug there. Just need a drive plug as there are plenty of ports on the motherboard.
Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work? Heat etc?? I am not that much of a techie. I do have various 3.5 SATA drives and a 64G SSD lying around. Slides right in.

brusbrother said:   Well, nice surprise. I got in on this when it first posted a few days ago. Opened the box today and there is room below the DVD drive to accept another HD. There is already a power plug there. Just need a drive plug as there are plenty of ports on the motherboard.
Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work? Heat etc?? I am not that much of a techie. I do have various 3.5 SATA drives and a 64G SSD lying around. Slides right in.

Dunno maybe heat, probably not though. If it worries you go with a slower 5400 RPM drive. Best thing to do is pop one in and check the temps with something that reads S.M.A.R.T. data: Speed Fan or Crystal Disk Mark will tell you.

brusbrother said:   Well, nice surprise. I got in on this when it first posted a few days ago. Opened the box today and there is room below the DVD drive to accept another HD. There is already a power plug there. Just need a drive plug as there are plenty of ports on the motherboard.

Dunno maybe heat, probably not though. If it worries you go with a slower 5400 RPM drive. Best thing to do is pop one in and check the temps with something that reads S.M.A.R.T. data: Speed Fan or Crystal Disk Mark will tell you.

its back

I'm tempted to grab this for the windows 7 disk.

I have a pc with 8.1 on it, but I don't boot up the system because it is hard to understand where all the windows go when the disappear. I may just do a 7 install on it and then upgrade to 8 if I really want it in the future.

thank you OP.  I purchased one for my dad since he only surfs and reads emails.  It's a snappy PC with Win7, and best of all no bloatware.  I picked up another for my uncle.

CPAESQ said:   I'm tempted to grab this for the windows 7 disk.

I have a pc with 8.1 on it, but I don't boot up the system because it is hard to understand where all the windows go when the disappear. I may just do a 7 install on it and then upgrade to 8 if I really want it in the future.

Install Classic Shell. A free program that makes your computer look like Windows 7. You still get the speed of Win 8 but the more familiar interface of Win 7.
There is another free program that allows you to boot directly to the desktop and disable Metro interface entirely. Sorry I forgot the name but google "disable metro" and it shouold show up. Don't give up on your Win 8 machine. If you buy this one, use it as a Win 7 machine. You can also add another HD if you want and install a very zippy version of Linux Mint 15 operating system.

CPAESQ said:   I'm tempted to grab this for the windows 7 disk.

Your kidding? Right?

Why would you spend $100 + to "fix" a "problem" that isn't even a real problem?

In case you really weren't aware, there are lots of free and several really good and very cheap programs that will make windows 8 (or 8.1) look and feel like windows 7 in that it brings back the start menu and desktop almost exactly like they were in windows 7. Start8, StartISback, Classic Shell and many others. Again some are free and some are paid, I think most of the paid applications are either $3 or $5. Give them a try, you will be very pleased.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I will look into the programs you suggested.

Didn't pull the trigger yet (good thing... It would probably sit in the box for months before I got around to doing something with it, and then I would prob give it away to someone in the family)

steve1jr said:   Is it a *full* version of Windows 7 that you could reuse on a fresh install on your real computer (I only have the stupid upgrade license, which is a PITA to deal with)? If so I guess you could consider the PC almost free.
  They use a Windows 7 Refurbisher's COA which is locked to the 7900 permanently. You cannot use the product key on another computer unless it's the same exact make and model.
The E8400 has a decent passmark of 2167 but the computer is probably 4 to 6 years old.

DDR2 memory is expensive. A 2gb stick is around $28 and a 4gb stick is around $100. You can buy them cheaper on e.Bay (used) though.

classic shell looks like what I have been dreaming of

blueribb said:   
steve1jr said:   Is it a *full* version of Windows 7 that you could reuse on a fresh install on your real computer (I only have the stupid upgrade license, which is a PITA to deal with)? If so I guess you could consider the PC almost free.
  They use a Windows 7 Refurbisher's COA which is locked to the 7900 permanently. You cannot use the product key on another computer unless it's the same exact make and model.

How is it locked?  Win 7 is loaded on the PC, but not setup yet.  When you get it, you have to setup Windows and then activate with the key on the CoA.  You're saying the key on the CoA is setup to only activate on HP DC7900 computers?

comprx said:   
blueribb said:   

How is it locked?  Win 7 is loaded on the PC, but not setup yet.  When you get it, you have to setup Windows and then activate with the key on the CoA.  You're saying the key on the CoA is setup to only activate on HP DC7900 computers?

I bought a number of these actual computers a few years ago for resale. They all came with Win 7 Pro. The OS was pre-installed and activated. What makes you think these are not activated copies ?

Note: These computers originally had Windows Vista Business edition on them. The refurbishers installed Win 7 Pro on them.

I got 2 which were not activated. YMMV

blueribb said:     I bought a number of these actual computers a few years ago for resale. They all came with Win 7 Pro. The OS was pre-installed and activated. What makes you think these are not activated copies ?

Note: These computers originally had Windows Vista Business edition on them. The refurbishers installed Win 7 Pro on them.

The one I just got had a Win 7 image preloaded, but not setup, just like you would get with standard OEM Win 7 machine.  You start it up and it goes through the Win 7 setup.  In the setup process it asks for the key, which I bypassed.  In System Properties it showed unactivated.  The refurber's insert also said the key needed to be entered during setup.

I installed Vita Business 64-bit using the key from the original CoA, and it activated just fine.  The Win 7 CoA had been installed over the Vista CoA, but a hair dryer took care of that. I expect the refurbished key to work fine on a future build.

I have one big question - It came with both disks (32bit and 64bit) but the system is running at 32bit. Can I just run the other CD and update it to 64bit or is there much more involved. If anyone has any advice on how to do this or even if it can be done, please let me know. (I am definitely going to upgrade the RAM to 4 or 8GB)

THANKS

headhntr said:   I have one big question - It came with both disks (32bit and 64bit) but the system is running at 32bit. Can I just run the other CD and update it to 64bit or is there much more involved. If anyone has any advice on how to do this or even if it can be done, please let me know. (I am definitely going to upgrade the RAM to 4 or 8GB)

THANKS

where you buying the RAM,, expensive now?

Just ordered one to replace an Atom-box. Where can I buy the cheapest 4GB or 8GB memory for this box?

On the hunt for RAM
Will post if I find a great deal

Howdy,
I purchased some of these units.
Used = yes
refurbished = yes (class A type) pretty decent
Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit OEM factory loaded with all proper HP business DC7900 drivers loaded. (both 32-bit and 64-bit disks included)
Turn on machine, you have what's known as a out of the box experience. It ask for your COA license number and then finishes setup.

Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe acrobat reader loaded, and OpenOffice loaded.
note: 4 memory sockets = 2 filled with 1gb sticks = 2 free sockets

cloned the drive to a cheap A-Data SP900 128gb SSD and added 2 1gb sticks (4gb total now) the little system flies.

I purchased a bunch of 1gb DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz memory in 2gb kits @ $19.25  over $30 you get free shipping  (Memory America)

http://www.memoryamerica.com/k2d212864800mp.html?synertech

Bought this RAM at Amazon, it had good reviews - 4gb (2 x 2GB sticks - Komputerbay)

And as far as the 32bit OS to 64bit question... I "think" you have to do a complete reinstall.

This business model comes in 3 versions -- slim to minitower. HP dc7900 specs
The unit shown in the Newegg listing appears to be the SFF or small form factor size.  Please note that if you plan to upgrade, it will need half height cards that will match their power supply (lower watts than the minitower).  I purchased a similar SFF desktop and minitower from sources on eBay.   These are nice machines that are well built.

wizbang said:   Howdy,
I purchased some of these units.
Used = yes
refurbished = yes (class A type) pretty decent
Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit OEM factory loaded with all proper HP business DC7900 drivers loaded. (both 32-bit and 64-bit disks included)
Turn on machine, you have what's known as a out of the box experience. It ask for your COA license number and then finishes setup.

Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe acrobat reader loaded, and OpenOffice loaded.
note: 4 memory sockets = 2 filled with 1gb sticks = 2 free sockets

cloned the drive to a cheap A-Data SP900 128gb SSD and added 2 1gb sticks (4gb total now) the little system flies.

I purchased a bunch of 1gb DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz memory in 2gb kits @ $19.25  over $30 you get free shipping  (Memory America)

http://www.memoryamerica.com/k2d212864800mp.html?synertech

By that memory here cheaper:  http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/memory/#s=200800&sort=d9&qq=1&t=11&z=2048 

Try eBay.  I picked up 2 1gig sticks for $12 shipped bringing the system to 4gb total.  Same HP part# as the installed ram.  That seller sold out but there are deals to be had there.

Skipping 11 Messages...
Solandri said:   
kickerstarter said:   Add a $10AR graphics card and you have a decent HTPC

I'd be hesitant to do that.  I put together a homebrew system years ago with the same E8400 processor and 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 RAM.  At idle it burned about 70 Watts, hit about 110 Watts at load.  (With a gaming GPU installed it was 130 Watts idle, 200 Watts loaded.)  That was actually my main reason for upgrading to a Sandy Bridge i5 system a few years ago, not the performance increase.  The i5 system burns about 35 Watts idle, 100 Watts at load.

If you use this system as a HTPC and leave it on 24/7, in one year it will burn 70 Watts * 8766 hours = 613.6 kWh of electricity.  At $0.12 per kWh, that's $74 worth of electricity per year.

If you want a cheap HTPC, I'd suggest buying / stealing an old laptop with HDMI out.  Those typically burn about 10 Watts at idle, which would save you about $60/yr vs. this system.  Lenovo Outlet frequently has them with an i3 for about $275.  (The Pentium versions use older HD graphics so might lag on some 1080p content.)

headhntr said:   I have one big question - It came with both disks (32bit and 64bit) but the system is running at 32bit. Can I just run the other CD and update it to 64bit or is there much more involved. If anyone has any advice on how to do this or even if it can be done, please let me know. (I am definitely going to upgrade the RAM to 4 or 8GB)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014