• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Scored a great deal on 3 Nest Thermostats. Marked down from $199 to $149, then marked down again to $72 at my local Lowes.

Not available online to check inventory. A great price on these thermostats and they are still going for $200+ online for those who are looking to eBay them.

Had mine installed for a few days now and it's great. Learning right now, but seems to be going well.

Member Summary

nest
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Sorry but you are either totally clueless and never actually used the NEST App v4.0 or perhaps just totally inept. In ei... (more)

cnIsfg (Nov. 19, 2013 @ 2:46p) |

Take a breath, Francis.  It looks like you've read quite a bit into Auto-Away.  With my Nest running 3.x and the 4.0 app... (more)

slickdeal45 (Nov. 20, 2013 @ 7:58p) |

poorfatkid (Jan. 13, 2014 @ 7:41p) |

INSTANT REBATE
You may qualify for instant utility company rebates in your locale up to $100. Good towards the purchase of a new Nest(2nd generation).

Check http://nest.com
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

These were certainly .com returns as Lowes nationwide sent gen 1s to our salvage back in February. No B&Ms should "supposedly" still have these. Good find tough. BTW the Lowes SKU is 399000 for those wanting to try their luck.

Nice score! Wonder if there's a way to check inventory online somehow. Anyone have a inventory checker that works with Lowe's?

Most unnecessary, overpriced gadget.... ever?

Saved a chunk on electric bill this past summer. Nest + Time of Use = $$$

Bizatch said:   Most unnecessary, overpriced gadget.... ever?

no. That title is reserved to Vertu phones.

Nest devices cost 8x as much as a programmable thermostat, do their work nicely and look nice.
the Vertu phones cost 20x the price of top line Android phones, look horrendous and don't work as well.

(you could also add to the list supercars that cost over a million and super yachts that cost over billion dollars, but I'll limit to things we mere mortals can actually buy).

Do your research before you buy. IIRC, Gen 1 has a major design flaw, if there is a power outage, since the unit is designed not to come on after a power outage, the heat will be off once the power has been restored.   If you are not home, and the inside temperature drops to below freezing point, you will come home to a house full of busted water pipes. Not sure if they fixed this flaw in Gen 2 either.

http://support.nest.com/article/What-to-expect-during-a-power-ou...

So, looks like what you're saying shouldn't happen.

rotinoma said:   http://support.nest.com/article/What-to-expect-during-a-power-ou... 

Turned off power to the HVAC system will make all thermostats will not to operate -- not just this NEST.
I have 2 of these Nest devices and love them. However, sometimes it hard to use (if you manually did lot of adjust on your old device. This nest is mean to adjust all settings automatically).

So what is the specific Nest model of this thermostat marked down to $72?
I'm asking because the only Nest thermostat at my Lowe's (model T200577) is ringing up at $249, and yes it *is available online to check inventory*
Nest model T200577 at Lowes ... looks like the thumbnail pic on this deal, btw
Thanks

Based on this link to Amazon, model T200577 is 2nd Gen Nest. $249 is the right price for it.
T100577 is the model number for 1st gen Nest

UkeDoggie said:   So what is the specific Nest model of this thermostat marked down to $72?
I'm asking because the only Nest thermostat at my Lowe's (model T200577) is ringing up at $249, and yes it *is available online to check inventory*
Nest model T200577 at Lowes  ... looks like the thumbnail pic on this deal, btw
Thanks

Thumbnail pic is a Gen 2 (FW puts that up there, not me). There are only 2 models. If you Google "Gen 1 Nest Lowes" you'll find the old product page, but you can't check inventory.

Sounds like it's a smokin' deal if you can get one, but it's incredibly YMMV

rotinoma said:   http://support.nest.com/article/What-to-expect-during-a-power-ou... 

That article doesn't tell the whole story.

As it mentions, if your Nest is discharged, it may take hours to start up when power comes back. The article says this can only happen if power is off for an extended period of time. But this isn't true.

If your system doesn't have a C wire (as some do not, especially heat-only systems), then the Nest cannot power itself when your HVAC is running. It must in that case draw power from the voltage difference between the Rc (or Rh) and Y1 terminals and there is no voltage differential while the HVAC is running. So it must not turn on your HVAC while it charges itself. This is why it flashes at bootup in the case described instead of just starting up and operating. If it started up and operated, it would cut itself off the moment it turned on your HVAC.

So if you have a system which has no C wire and your system is running a lot, the Nest can actually discharge itself over time. It will then shut off for hours to charge up. Or, if a power outage comes around then, it'll delay turning back on after the power outage, even though the power wasn't out for long.

Issues like this are why most thermostats just have you put in a 9V or other battery. Nest chose not to do it and thus they have some compatibility problems some other thermostats don't have.

If you have a C wire in your system, then your Nest shouldn't run out of power in normal use and shouldn't be blank for long after a power outage. Like less than 15 minutes.

If your system doesn't have a C wire, I recommend not getting a Nest of either generation.

I had an (admittedly older) programmable thermostat, and replaced it with a Nest. I saved between $25 and $50 per month during this past summer, which in south Texas is 6 months long. More than paid for itself.

I read an article in our local paper the other day that said these thermostats will save you big $$$$$$. Seems to me that I have heard of them before but I'm not well versed in how they work.

Don't believe it.  It's an over-priced, over-engineered product that does not work as promised.

hoodrep said:   Don't believe it.  It's an over-priced, over-engineered product that does not work as promised.
  ... and you know this how? Proof please.

Can someone pretty please tell me how a Nest thermostat is going to save you money over another programmable thermostat... My logic is this, if you are in the house keep it at X temperature, if you are out and plan to be out for a while, switch it to Y. Perhaps turn it down further a bit at night. Maybe it could learn your schedule (as opposed to you programming it in directly), but this only works if your schedule is predictable. If its not, then... good luck with that.

I'm seriously curious.

I think the nest is a great product and it's popularity proves what can happen if you take a already proven device like the programmable thermostat and add extra usability and newage features and ramp up the price insanely. It's essentially the apple-ification of the thermostat. Indeed Apple partners to resell these for this reason!

Personally I like my old programmable I got for $60 brand new years ago. But if I could have had this for ~$70 it would have been no question... Excellent deal if you can find one for this price.

hpmax said:   Can someone pretty please tell me how a Nest thermostat is going to save you money over another programmable thermostat... My logic is this, if you are in the house keep it at X temperature, if you are out and plan to be out for a while, switch it to Y. Perhaps turn it down further a bit at night. Maybe it could learn your schedule (as opposed to you programming it in directly), but this only works if your schedule is predictable. If its not, then... good luck with that.

I'm seriously curious.

it's not for everyone.  fortunately people have choices.  i got one because we do a lot of weekend trips.  if i go away, i can just load up the app and set the temp.  most of the time it senses i'm away so i don't have to.  when we're on the way back, i can set the temp so it gets cool/warm by the time we're home.

foglem said:   I think the nest is a great product and it's popularity proves what can happen if you take a already proven device like the programmable thermostat and add extra usability and newage features and ramp up the price insanely. It's essentially the apple-ification of the thermostat. Indeed Apple partners to resell these for this reason!

Personally I like my old programmable I got for $60 brand new years ago. But if I could have had this for ~$70 it would have been no question... Excellent deal if you can find one for this price.

i believe the creators were ex-apple guys

hpmax said:   Can someone pretty please tell me how a Nest thermostat is going to save you money over another programmable thermostat... My logic is this, if you are in the house keep it at X temperature, if you are out and plan to be out for a while, switch it to Y. Perhaps turn it down further a bit at night. Maybe it could learn your schedule (as opposed to you programming it in directly), but this only works if your schedule is predictable. If its not, then... good luck with that.

I'm seriously curious.

True, but the case that the Nest makes is it learns your schedule and adjusts as such. The fact is most people don't program their thermostat and leave it at a constant temperature. Should everyone program their own thermostat? Yes, but give that most people don't the idea is the automation is worth the price of admission in the energy savings.

BTW - I found it funny I got red for mentioning a product was 1/3 the retail price because someone just doesn't like the product.

Seriously, be careful with these. I installed one in my house a few months ago and all worked great for a couple days. Then all of a sudden the HEAT got stuck on. I live in Florida and when I got home the house felt like 100+ degrees. I called tech support and they had me check all the connections, redo them and reboot the device. It worked great for a few hours and then that night i woke up in a pool of sweat. I couldnt get the device to back off, I had to pull the breaker and stop it. The next day I switched back to my original thermostat that i got at Home Depot years ago. Ive read other stories like this, so just a word of warning. I have a heat pump system here in Florida. Anyway, if these fail, they fail ON, and you can seriously do some damage in many ways.

I really feel these are a great idea, but not ready for prime time.

I saw this deal awhile ago on some other site. I went to all the Lowes around me they all said they were 199 and none instock. if you guys find any in MD/VA/DC tell me

I have had one for 11 months now...great product...saved me $$$ since I had it and love the idea I can check on it from my phone and reset any temp on it remotely...that way the house is comfortable when I get home...the company also will email you once a month and let you know how much the unit ran for the previous month which is a great way to check on your utility bills. Smoke detector is due out at any time which communicates with your thermostat...

Great product, I've had it since it first came out almost 2 years ago. Latest firmware is solid.

You can this product free from certain elect or gas providers from their websites

qUAan said:   You can this product free from certain elect or gas providers from their websites
  Good info, but can you provide a source?

mike96sc2;18095893 said:
qUAan said:   You can this product free from certain elect or gas providers from their websites

This piqued my interest so it took me 10 seconds to find a list of energy suppliers with rebates for the Nest thermometer: https://community.nest.com/thread/1023 

Asked a clerk at the customer service desk to check stock in the area (Coral Springs, FL). None whatsoever within at least a 25 mi radius (not sure exactly how far she searched).

There are a few reasons why this product rocks, even at the full retail price:

1. Have you ever forgotten to turn off your AC?  How much energy did that waste?
2. Southern California Edison credit for registering the Nest
3. Turn on the AC 1/2 hour before getting home so that the house is cool?
4. Sleep through the night with the house at 68 degrees, and then turn it up to 80 degrees so that it's nice and toasty when you do get out of bed?
5. See and track your energy usage instantly (last seven days)
6. Design/cool factor - I call it my Ironman thermostat

I'm seriously curious.

I'm horrible at turning my thermostat down when I leave - with Nest, I don't have to - it just does it for me. It also learns how long it takes to warm or cool my home, which reduces the time the unit needs to run, and finally, it recirculates cool air without the compressor running, using the residual cooling. My bills went down considerably, and that is all thanks to Nest. 

I need to look into this. It sounds like a cool thing to have. no pun intended...LOL

mike96sc2 said:   

see this thread as well http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1308802/ 

LAwoodtiger said:   There are a few reasons why this product rocks, even at the full retail price:

1. Have you ever forgotten to turn off your AC?  How much energy did that waste?
4. Sleep through the night with the house at 68 degrees, and then turn it up to 80 degrees so that it's nice and toasty when you do get out of bed?

1 - It will also turn your AC up on the days you are expected home but work late... probably a wash.  You have to manage the process with any stat,  and if you dont you will waste
2- Not in all areas
3- Yes, but if you are the person who forgets to turn things up/down, you wont do this.
4- Any programmable stat does this
5- Energy usage on a weekly basis is not valuable... better to use seasonally adjusted data and look at your monthly energy bills.
6 - OK, I guess

scoobydooby said:   

I'm seriously curious.

I'm horrible at turning my thermostat down when I leave - with Nest, I don't have to - it just does it for me. It also learns how long it takes to warm or cool my home, which reduces the time the unit needs to run, and finally, it recirculates cool air without the compressor running, using the residual cooling. My bills went down considerably, and that is all thanks to Nest. 

Marketing gimick- The last thing you want to do is run the fan after the compressor has stopped.  It will take the moisture on the cooling coil that has just been pulled out of the air and re-humidify your house.  Wasting energy in the next cycle to remove the moiusture again. (It takes a lot of energy to remove moisture... more than the cooling process in most cases).

Additionally, while "learning" how long it takes to heat/cool your house might be valuable, the nest sensor does not measure mass temperature or outside air conditions or sun load, so it really does not do that.

I am guessing your energy savings (if you have any) is due to just the setback of the stat, which can be done with any programmable.

SteveG

I had a Nest, and my electric bill went up significantly! It was not the fault of the Nest by any means, but simply because I had set more stringent heating allocation times on my old $25 thermostat. For example, the Nest would turn the heat on from 5pm (approx 30 minutes before I came home) until midnight (approx 30 minutes after I go to bed). Previously I had set the old thermostat for 7pm-10pm (prime dinner, TV watching, kids homework timeframe). The other hours, my family was supposed to fend for themselves with hoodies, throws, and huddling The Nest works well, but if you're already frugal on your energy usage, be aware it might do more harm than good as it strives to give you maximum comfort. I certainly could've manually adjusted to the time frame I wanted, but I felt that wasn't using the power of the Nest and made it difficult to justify the price. It's was a fun gadget and has great use in my sisters house now, since they have a newborn, but even I admit it's more marketing than substance.

sgogo said:   
LAwoodtiger said:   There are a few reasons why this product rocks, even at the full retail price:

1 - It will also turn your AC up on the days you are expected home but work late... probably a wash.  You have to manage the process with any stat,  and if you dont you will waste
2- Not in all areas
3- Yes, but if you are the person who forgets to turn things up/down, you wont do this.
4- Any programmable stat does this

But isn't this a wifi linked stat?  so if he is working late, he can delay it from his computer or smart phone.  Also (regarding your answer #4) I think he's saying he can adjust the heat while still laying in bed, as in from his tablet or phone

ZenerDiode said:   I had a Nest, and my electric bill went up significantly! It was not the fault of the Nest by any means, but simply because I had set more stringent heating allocation times on my old $25 thermostat. For example, the Nest would turn the heat on from 5pm (approx 30 minutes before I came home) until midnight (approx 30 minutes after I go to bed). Previously I had set the old thermostat for 7pm-10pm (prime dinner, TV watching, kids homework timeframe). The other hours, my family was supposed to fend for themselves with hoodies, throws, and huddling The Nest works well, but if you're already frugal on your energy usage, be aware it might do more harm than good as it strives to give you maximum comfort. I certainly could've manually adjusted to the time frame I wanted, but I felt that wasn't using the power of the Nest and made it difficult to justify the price. It's was a fun gadget and has great use in my sisters house now, since they have a newborn, but even I admit it's more marketing than substance.

ROFL. Glad I'm not the only one who ran into this issue.

I don't have a Nest but I did get a Radio Thermostat 3M-30 (programmable + wifi) to replace a non-programmable thermostat and saw my electric/gas bill go up. Granted I previously set it at 62F during the winter and 78F during the summer (would try to set it at 58F and 85F when I left but forgot half the time). On the other had the SO is much happier now that they aren't freezing/sweating and we can adjust the temps before we get home so that's a plus.

freakinout said:   But isn't this a wifi linked stat?  so if he is working late, he can delay it from his computer or smart phone.  Also (regarding your answer #4) I think he's saying he can adjust the heat while still laying in bed, as in from his tablet or phone

Yes it's a luxury, but it might be one of my favorite luxuries on a winter weekend.

Skipping 26 Messages...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014