• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
I can completely understand the desire for a remote controlled thermostat. I have one, that was given to me by my utility company. It's pretty nice being able to shut off heat/cooling if you leave and forget to, or be able to turn it on when you leave so the house is warmed up/cooled off when you get back.

I question the usefulness of it "learning" anything. Anything it "learns" is at best what it can observe of your actual behavior. If you go to work every day at 8AM and come home at 5PM, you don't need it to learn that, you can just program your thermostat to *KNOW* that. If on one day you do something different, it can't possibly know what your plans are, so its control is going to be just as screwed up as a programmable thermostat. Unless of course you manually override it (either remotely or locally), and in either case, you lose all advantage of your learning thermostat.

I'm curious, how does it learn your behavior and what sensors does it have?

I'm not sure what you mean by recirculating cool air... I don't know exactly what this means. I know that my furnace will run the fan for a while after the furnace has shut off, basically it has a temperature sensor on the heat exchanger, and will keep running it until the heat has been blown off it. You don't need a super intelligent smart thermostat, just basic common sense for this.

I believe it has motion sensor, so if your thermostat is in a room with little traffic like my house, the thermostat for my first floor is in the formal dinner room, which we rarely use, Nest might not work well for you.

freakinout said:   
sgogo said:   
1 - It will also turn your AC up on the days you are expected home but work late... probably a wash.  You have to manage the process with any stat,  and if you dont you will waste
4- Any programmable stat does this

But isn't this a wifi linked stat?  so if he is working late, he can delay it from his computer or smart phone.  Also (regarding your answer #4) I think he's saying he can adjust the heat while still laying in bed, as in from his tablet or phone

True, but there are other wifi stats for about $70-$100 normally.  And generally, people stop using them after the novelty wears off.

I am not bashing this stat, just noting that a lot of the hype is not justified.

SteveG 

hpmax said:   I can completely understand the desire for a remote controlled thermostat. I have one, that was given to me by my utility company. It's pretty nice being able to shut off heat/cooling if you leave and forget to, or be able to turn it on when you leave so the house is warmed up/cooled off when you get back.

I question the usefulness of it "learning" anything. Anything it "learns" is at best what it can observe of your actual behavior. If you go to work every day at 8AM and come home at 5PM, you don't need it to learn that, you can just program your thermostat to *KNOW* that. If on one day you do something different, it can't possibly know what your plans are, so its control is going to be just as screwed up as a programmable thermostat. Unless of course you manually override it (either remotely or locally), and in either case, you lose all advantage of your learning thermostat.

I'm curious, how does it learn your behavior and what sensors does it have?

I'm not sure what you mean by recirculating cool air... I don't know exactly what this means. I know that my furnace will run the fan for a while after the furnace has shut off, basically it has a temperature sensor on the heat exchanger, and will keep running it until the heat has been blown off it. You don't need a super intelligent smart thermostat, just basic common sense for this.

I agree 100%.  These are cool, but the utility beyond a normal programmable wifi stat is not that much, imho.

SteveG

I bought 3 Lux programmable thermostats for ~$100 and it would have cost me over $700 to buy 3 Nests.  I have been extremely satisfied with the Lux units.

Yes, Nest has some extra bells & whistles, remote access, graphs, but ultimately I don't think it does much more for you.....certainly not to justify spending an extra $600 in my case.

allivant said:   
hpmax said:   Can someone pretty please tell me how a Nest thermostat is going to save you money over another programmable thermostat... My logic is this, if you are in the house keep it at X temperature, if you are out and plan to be out for a while, switch it to Y. Perhaps turn it down further a bit at night. Maybe it could learn your schedule (as opposed to you programming it in directly), but this only works if your schedule is predictable. If its not, then... good luck with that.

I'm seriously curious.

it's not for everyone.  fortunately people have choices.  i got one because we do a lot of weekend trips.  if i go away, i can just load up the app and set the temp.  most of the time it senses i'm away so i don't have to.  when we're on the way back, i can set the temp so it gets cool/warm by the time we're home.

It's great for that reason, and I can also check in on the wife when I'm at work and adjust the Nests down or up depending on how she's adjusted them, which saves me even more.   I've had a pair of Nests for 2 years now and have zero complaints about them, they've worked flawlessly.

anybody have a receipt for the $72 nest?

would appreciate it
thx
the show doctor

showdoc said:   anybody have a receipt for the $72 nest?

would appreciate it
thx
the show doctor

I will see if I can find mine. 99% sure it's sitting on my table. I best not lose it so I can claim my $25 rebate per unit from my electric company.

Is there somewhere you plan to PM?

The motion sensor feature is great if your schedule changes and are not home. Saves you plenty with that alone plus its controlled thru any smartphone and heck it looks cool.

I posted an earlier message about how happy I am with my Nest (and I still am), but wanted to point out the one negative I have found. It is great that it learns your habits, but it does not include the ability to over-ride this learning. I had company staying at my house during the day (while I was at work), and it kept reverting back to the normal 82 degrees that it sets while I am away. My guest kept having to go an turn it down for comfort. A lot of posts are on the Nest forums where people are asking for the ability to temporarily over-ride the learned program.

Somebody on one of these Nest threads wrote something once about the nest having ability to know when your phone is in the house, therefore knowing when you are home. Not sure if it comes with that capability out of box or if you have to be a techie and add this feature, but I'd love to know more about

freakinout said:   Somebody on one of these Nest threads wrote something once about the nest having ability to know when your phone is in the house, therefore knowing when you are home. Not sure if it comes with that capability out of box or if you have to be a techie and add this feature, but I'd love to know more about

They were either mistaken, or were hoping for such a feature.  It doesn't do that.

slickdeal45 said:   
freakinout said:   Somebody on one of these Nest threads wrote something once about the nest having ability to know when your phone is in the house, therefore knowing when you are home. Not sure if it comes with that capability out of box or if you have to be a techie and add this feature, but I'd love to know more about

They were either mistaken, or were hoping for such a feature.  It doesn't do that.

and clearly you are also mis-informed as the Nest App 4.0.provides this I'm home feature as well as the ability communicate with multiple Nest Thermostats and/or Nest Protect devices on your local Intranet

mike96sc2 said:   
hpmax said:   Can someone pretty please tell me how a Nest thermostat is going to save you money over another programmable thermostat... My logic is this, if you are in the house keep it at X temperature, if you are out and plan to be out for a while, switch it to Y. Perhaps turn it down further a bit at night. Maybe it could learn your schedule (as opposed to you programming it in directly), but this only works if your schedule is predictable. If its not, then... good luck with that.

I'm seriously curious.

True, but the case that the Nest makes is it learns your schedule and adjusts as such. The fact is most people don't program their thermostat and leave it at a constant temperature. Should everyone program their own thermostat? Yes, but give that most people don't the idea is the automation is worth the price of admission in the energy savings.

BTW - I found it funny I got red for mentioning a product was 1/3 the retail price because someone just doesn't like the product.

Ha Ha, the programmable thermostat has become the VCR clock of the 21st century!!!

cnIsfg said:   
slickdeal45 said:   

and clearly you are also mis-informed as the Nest App 4.0.provides this I'm home feature as well as the ability communicate with multiple Nest Thermostats and/or Nest Protect devices on your local Intranet

And clearly you are "mis-informed" as the Nest App 4.0 provides only a switch that you can manually set to tell it that you're home or away.  There's no geofencing involved.  That manual switch used to require you to rotate your phone to landscape before getting access to the switch.  Now you don't have to rotate it.

Maybe next time you could spend a bit more time getting things right and a bit less time with the jerk-language?

Overpriced, over engineered, whatever your complaint is i win because I change temperatures while lying in bed.

Worth the price of admission alone.

It's okay to not want one, but it's awesome if you actually own one.

slickdeal45 said:     
  There's no geofencing involved.  That manual switch used to require you to rotate you phone to landscape before getting access to the switch.  Now you don't have to rotate it.

Ok, I didn't know the term "geofencing"  so did a search and found this 

this is the type of thing i was referring to.  I swore somebody on FW said they did or are doing.  i will have to look at some old posts

People have been requesting geofencing for quite a while, but Nest doesn't seem interested. It may have to do with data privacy concerns--they may not want the burden of tracking customer locations.

I purchased and installed a Gen 2 Nest the minute they were available. Installation and setup literally took 5 minutes, which was a dream compared to actually setting up a programmable thermostat, which is what we replaced. Living in Naples, FL, aka the surface of the sun, our power bills were horrendous during basically 9 months out of the year while trying to cool our house. The big diff between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 is the ability to run a multiple stage air handler, which is what we have (Trane). The Gen 1 would not allow this. The unit learns fast, I have not had to actually touch it since installation. The iPhone app is all I need to set it or change the settings. The motion sensor figures out when we get home and kicks the cooling on. When my wife and I go to work, around 7:30am, it kicks the cooling off unless it gets above 80 degrees in the house. Our large dog doesn't effect the motion sensor. This saves a ton on power during the hot months.

If you dont have a multiple stage air handler, and can score one of these for less than $100, that is a hot deal. It will pay for itself many times over, and make you smile.

I have a 5-zone system with 3 gen2 Nests and 2 Trane z-wave thermostats.  2 of the Nests stopped controlling their respective HVAC units within the first year.  I had an HVAC tech troubleshooting my equipment for hours before he tried putting the original $25 Honeywell thermostats back and everything fired right up.  All outward appearances are that the unit is functioning, but it just doesn't turn on my equipment.  Googling this I find that it's not an uncommon failure case.  I finally got around to contacting Nest tech support and the only option they gave me was to reinstall the malfunctioning gen2 and call them back.  I have 2 newborns in the house so no way I'm going without heat for their preferred troubleshooting method--for $250 a pop I expect better than that.  I'm about to call them back to propose that instead buy a new nest at Lowes and return the busted one on the same receipt.

DerProfi said:   I'm about to call them back to propose that instead buy a new nest at Lowes and return the busted one on the same receipt.

Where are your ethics?

slickdeal45 said:   
DerProfi said:   I'm about to call them back to propose that instead buy a new nest at Lowes and return the busted one on the same receipt.

Where are your ethics?

Lowes probably would have taken care of it from the original receipt anyway. I just saw them swap a Schlage lock that stopped locking for a guy, well beyond the return period. If you have something that stops working within the warranty period, and isn't easily fixable (which we don't know in this case for sure), and it will take multiple days for a mail exchange, then I am all for doing what was suggested to keep things running "normal". Now the fact he has 2 go bad about the same time, I have a feeling there is something more to this problem, in which case I wouldn't want to invest in another Nest.

Given how easy it is to swap a thermostat, I'd just hook one back up. It's not tough to update the software, see if it's working, and move on from there. We're talking half an hour and minimal skill. It's not as though the house is going to drop more than a degree or two during that time.

slickdeal45 said:   
cnIsfg said:   
slickdeal45 said:   

And clearly you are "mis-informed" as the Nest App 4.0 provides only a switch that you can manually set to tell it that you're home or away.  There's no geofencing involved.  That manual switch used to require you to rotate your phone to landscape before getting access to the switch.  Now you don't have to rotate it.

Maybe next time you could spend a bit more time getting things right and a bit less time with the jerk-language?

Sorry but you are either totally clueless and never actually used the NEST App v4.0 or perhaps just totally inept. In either case your incompetence is irrelevant as for the rest of us the NEXT App v4.0  DOES know when you are on your local LAN where your Nest(s) are registered and it CAN set your "At Home" mode AUTOMATICALLY fonce it detects you are on your local LAN and you have enabled this feature under device settings > Allow this app to use your position setting.

cnIsfg said:   Sorry but you are either totally clueless and never actually used the NEST App v4.0 or perhaps just totally inept. In either case your incompetence is irrelevant as for the rest of us the NEXT App v4.0  DOES know when you are on your local LAN where your Nest(s) are registered and it CAN set your "At Home" mode AUTOMATICALLY fonce it detects you are on your local LAN and you have enabled this feature under device settings > Allow this app to use your position setting.

Take a breath, Francis.  It looks like you've read quite a bit into Auto-Away.  With my Nest running 3.x and the 4.0 app, there's simply no option as you describe.  Why don't you just provide a screen shot so we all know what you're trying to talk about?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014