• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
jbfromfl said:   
Mungo said:   Note if you have a Rooted phone this will not work. The ISIS app will just give you an error that your phone is rooted & quit.
  So let me understand.  If you are smart and want a secure phone, you bought an iPhone and this won't work.  
If are smart and bought a phone that was open and flexible, you bought and android phone and rooted it, again this won't work.  
If you didn't know what the hell you were doing and listened to the guy at the phone store, you bought that cheap android phone and it is not open and flexible and not secure, winner winner chicken dinner, ISIS is for you.

"cheap" android phones don't have NFC. only the top tier phones do. and most people (~95%) don't root so this won't be an issue.

and this has nothing to do with being smart or stupid. you buy the device that works for you. the iPhone works better for me because my Benz integrates with it very well, even has a Siri button. i like the iPhon's screen size and the way it functions. some people prefer bigger screens and how android functions. to each his own.

now drop it already. these iphone vs android vs windows fights are making you all look stupid.

terroralpha said:   
jbfromfl said:   
Mungo said:   Note if you have a Rooted phone this will not work. The ISIS app will just give you an error that your phone is rooted & quit.
  So let me understand.  If you are smart and want a secure phone, you bought an iPhone and this won't work.  
If are smart and bought a phone that was open and flexible, you bought and android phone and rooted it, again this won't work.  
If you didn't know what the hell you were doing and listened to the guy at the phone store, you bought that cheap android phone and it is not open and flexible and not secure, winner winner chicken dinner, ISIS is for you.

"cheap" android phones don't have NFC. only the top tier phones do. and most people (~95%) don't root so this won't be an issue.

and this has nothing to do with being smart or stupid. you buy the device that works for you. the iPhone works better for me because my Benz integrates with it very well, even has a Siri button. i like the iPhon's screen size and the way it functions. some people prefer bigger screens and how android functions. to each his own.

now drop it already. these iphone vs android vs windows fights are making you all look stupid.

Actually I have owned every platform.  I currently use a 5S, but would use a windows phone if it had the apps I need.  I will only use an android phone to tinker.  I was pointing out the stupid people at ISIS.  As for the other people who talk about NFC, wait until you get your android NFC hacked and your money stolen.  Where as iPhone with iBeacon will require a fingerprint to send money!

jbfromfl said:   
Where as iPhone with iBeacon will require a fingerprint to send money!

You do realize that the iPhone fingerprint has already been hacked in several forms?
Exclusive of any issues with NFC, IOS devices I believe have been historically pretty insecure.

jbfromfl said:   Actually I have owned every platform.  I currently use a 5S, but would use a windows phone if it had the apps I need.  I will only use an android phone to tinker.  I was pointing out the stupid people at ISIS.  As for the other people who talk about NFC, wait until you get your android NFC hacked and your money stolen.  Where as iPhone with iBeacon will require a fingerprint to send money!

i am an iPhone 5s user too. you know how you have an on/off switch in the control center to turn things like wifi and bluetooth on/off? well, android and windows phones have a button to turn off NFC in their control panel when you don't need it. also, NFC doesn't pass any data off unless you specifically tell it too.

now please stop making yourself look stupid.
BenH said:   You do realize that the iPhone fingerprint has already been hacked in several forms?
Exclusive of any issues with NFC, IOS devices I believe have been historically pretty insecure.

another one.... in order to fake a finger print you need a lab with about $20,000 worth of equipment. if you need someone's credit card number that bad it is easier and more cost effective to punch them in the face and take their wallet.

terroralpha said:   
jbfromfl said:   Actually I have owned every platform.  I currently use a 5S, but would use a windows phone if it had the apps I need.  I will only use an android phone to tinker.  I was pointing out the stupid people at ISIS.  As for the other people who talk about NFC, wait until you get your android NFC hacked and your money stolen.  Where as iPhone with iBeacon will require a fingerprint to send money!

i am an iPhone 5s user too. you know how you have an on/off switch in the control center to turn things like wifi and bluetooth on/off? well, android and windows phones have a button to turn off NFC in their control panel when you don't need it. also, NFC doesn't pass any data off unless you specifically tell it too.

now please stop making yourself look stupid.
BenH said:   You do realize that the iPhone fingerprint has already been hacked in several forms?

Yes you can turn it off, but if the OS is compromised it doesn't matter what you do.  The windows phone is fine.  However, the Android OS is very flawed.  Mainly due to devices not being on a relatively current build.  Using outdated Android is like using windows XP without virus software.  You did not really want to send a copy of everything you type to that guy in Russia, did you.  

It may be a relative small issue today... but the risk is growing everyday.  That is why Android KitKat is going to try to be backward compatible to lower spec phones as the manufactures still make these.

If you're going to hate on ISIS, at least hate on it for valid reasons... like Verizon's intentional blockade of Google Wallet.

So do what I'm doing, lock in the $200 back and send ISIS asunder.

jbfromfl said:   Yes you can turn it off, but if the OS is compromised it doesn't matter what you do.  The windows phone is fine.  However, the Android OS is very flawed.  Mainly due to devices not being on a relatively current build.  Using outdated Android is like using windows XP without virus software.  You did not really want to send a copy of everything you type to that guy in Russia, did you.  

It may be a relative small issue today... but the risk is growing everyday.  That is why Android KitKat is going to try to be backward compatible to lower spec phones as the manufactures still make these.

Comparing an outdated Android to Windows XP is unfair - both to Android and to Windows XP.

Android devices that are out of date are only vulnerable if you:

1) Sideload apps outside of Google Play (which you have to explicitly authorize)
2) Disable or refuse to enable Google Verify Apps (which provides automatic malware scanning of all apps installed instantly).

Granted, pre-Gingerbread devices cannot access Verify Apps, but Google bent over backwards to backport Verify Apps to Android 2.3+. Today, Android is far more secure to Windows XP.

And in fairness to Windows XP, Microsoft has continued to patch a 12 year old operating system which they very clearly have dropped mainstream support for. Seen Apple issue a security update for OS X 10.1 recently? How about Ubuntu 8.04?

KitKat is for making cheaper devices. For users that follow the two simple steps above, which most do anyways because they've never head of sideloading to begin with, let alone would agree to allow unverified apps thanks to the security warnings, there is no pressing security reason to backport old devices to KitKat. Most old devices won't be updated.

P.S. If you want to critique Android on core OS security grounds, Windows Phone pre-7.8 is equally unsupported. In fact, it's less supported because Android 2.3 saw point releases long after Honeycomb and ICS dropped. And many manufacturers, despite the lack of need for the above reasons, continued to backport 2.3.5, 2.3.6, and 2.3.7 to increase security.

P.P.S. Android's open for anyone to audit. iOS and Windows Phone aren't. Security through obscurity is a dangerous way to live.

Thanks for info, didn't know about the new charges as I never used this account.  Only signed up to get a bonus deposit.

asuka said:   
jbfromfl said:   Yes you can turn it off, but if the OS is compromised it doesn't matter what you do.  The windows phone is fine.  However, the Android OS is very flawed.  Mainly due to devices not being on a relatively current build.  Using outdated Android is like using windows XP without virus software.  You did not really want to send a copy of everything you type to that guy in Russia, did you.  

Comparing an outdated Android to Windows XP is unfair - both to Android and to Windows XP.

Android devices that are out of date are only vulnerable if you:

1) Sideload apps outside of Google Play (which you have to explicitly authorize)
2) Disable or refuse to enable Google Verify Apps (which provides automatic malware scanning of all apps installed instantly).

Granted, pre-Gingerbread devices cannot access Verify Apps, but Google bent over backwards to backport Verify Apps to Android 2.3+. Today, Android is far more secure to Windows XP.

And in fairness to Windows XP, Microsoft has continued to patch a 12 year old operating system which they very clearly have dropped mainstream support for. Seen Apple issue a security update for OS X 10.1 recently? How about Ubuntu 8.04?

KitKat is for making cheaper devices. For users that follow the two simple steps above, which most do anyways because they've never head of sideloading to begin with, let alone would agree to allow unverified apps thanks to the security warnings, there is no pressing security reason to backport old devices to KitKat. Most old devices won't be updated.

P.S. If you want to critique Android on core OS security grounds, Windows Phone pre-7.8 is equally unsupported. In fact, it's less supported because Android 2.3 saw point releases long after Honeycomb and ICS dropped. And many manufacturers, despite the lack of need for the above reasons, continued to backport 2.3.5, 2.3.6, and 2.3.7 to increase security.

P.P.S. Android's open for anyone to audit. iOS and Windows Phone aren't. Security through obscurity is a dangerous way to live.

4 out of 10 don't have option #2 because they are on an old version. 

Windows XP was mostly fixed by the security companies not Microsoft.  That is why I compared Android to XP without virus protection.  Also, have you seen the size of the checks they get from their corporate clients to continue to patch XP.  How much is Google charging!

Microsoft provided all the security updates of windows 8 to all the old phones and people have installed it directly from Microsoft.

Android can be secure, with additional security software, but the statistics don't lie.  The phones don't get updated and security vulnerabilities remain.  They can be made secure, with 3rd party software, but most are not.  This is why Android is for trained professionals no the general public.  

old android phones, the ones that came with android 2.x never came with NFC. so this argument is pointless. drop it.

Anyone have a link to the apk to sideload? My rooted galaxy s III isn't showing it on the market but I want to give it a try

Serve has fees soon. :/ Glad I read Fatwallet. Maybe they were planning to tell cardholders the day before the change.

They sent me out mail a few weeks ago. If you load money on the card they don't charge fees.

with my ISIS $$ I am going to the bar, get with the ladies
maybe KISSKISS a lot
also buy lots of beers
then ill go in the bathroom and PISSPISS a lot!!!

k3naa said:   Anyone have a link to the apk to sideload? My rooted galaxy s III isn't showing it on the market but I want to give it a try
  You'll get to the download page if you go to the page on their website that is included in this thread. I didn't find it in Google Play, either.

I see there's an offer for $10 back when you make any purchase at Verizon Wireless. It doesn't say that their is a minimum purchase amount. I wonder if they have any accessories that would come out to $10 or less? Probably would have to be something on clearance. You might be able to make a bill payment and get it. Unfortunately, I am on combined billing with my FiOS account and cannot pay my cell phone bill separately.

may i go to gas station buy $1000 gas giftcard with this offer?

govenar said:   At T-Mobile store: got the free Advanced SIM, signed up for isis, linked my serve card to it (I already had a serve card with $1000 on it from 5 $200 CC loads), paid $1000 toward my T-Mobile bill using isis.  Easy $200 (assuming the credit posts).

So, T-Mobile (at least this location in southern California) didn't limit isis transactions to a small amount.  And they let me pay more than I owed for my T-Mobile bill.

Update: got the $200 credit in my Serve account today (two days after my purchase).  It says "Credit: Compliments of Isis".

FUApple said:   
Sammich said:   
FUApple said:   no iphone supported? wow!!

Get used to it. This isnt 2005. Most of us have moved on to better things.

2005? What happened in 2005? First iPhone came in 2007 and Samsung didn't copy it till couple of years later....

How does Samsung copied Apple when apple doent even have NFC to begin with?  haha

Joe2836 said:   Serve has fees soon. :/ Glad I read Fatwallet. Maybe they were planning to tell cardholders the day before the change.
  if you read their fees.   it said If Serve signup by using Isis Mobile app, no monthly fee!

Just got this error... WTF... time to decompile this app and remove this restriction :-P

billrubin said:   
k3naa said:   Anyone have a link to the apk to sideload? My rooted galaxy s III isn't showing it on the market but I want to give it a try
  You'll get to the download page if you go to the page on their website that is included in this thread. I didn't find it in Google Play, either.

It's in the market for rooted verizon s3, but app refuses to run.

just get the patch for ISIS for rooted phone at xda !
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2425346 

The list of places is not complete at all. I have used it at best buy, kroger family of stores. I am sure there are a lot more pieces that accept it.

govenar said:   
govenar said:   At T-Mobile store: got the free Advanced SIM, signed up for isis, linked my serve card to it (I already had a serve card with $1000 on it from 5 $200 CC loads), paid $1000 toward my T-Mobile bill using isis.  Easy $200 (assuming the credit posts).

So, T-Mobile (at least this location in southern California) didn't limit isis transactions to a small amount.  And they let me pay more than I owed for my T-Mobile bill.

Update: got the $200 credit in my Serve account today (two days after my purchase).  It says "Credit: Compliments of Isis".

Do you mind if I asked you what you spent $1000 on to receive your $200 credit from ISIS?

ohmygoodnesspirate said:   
govenar said:   

Do you mind if I asked you what you spent $1000 on to receive your $200 credit from ISIS?

T-Mobile bill, i.e., paid for multiple months of service ahead of time (they let me pay more than was due on my current bill).

Glad I saw this thread. I didn't know about the fees starting soon. Plus I have a Nexus 5, which isn't supported. I actually have 11 bucks in my account still. I'm gonna use it up, then cancel.

kenbenobi said:   Glad I saw this thread. I didn't know about the fees starting soon. Plus I have a Nexus 5, which isn't supported. I actually have 11 bucks in my account still. I'm gonna use it up, then cancel.
  Somebody quoted a $5 fee but the email I got said it was only a $1 per month fee. Are people in different areas getting different fees?

Also got an email from Serve the other day that they have deals like a regular Amex card. You sync your card with Twitter, Facebook or Foursquare and add deals to your card. You will probably have to unsync your other Amex or create a new social acct if you have already synced another Amex card. It could actually be worth keeping if you can use the deals. The $5 Exxon credit will buy me 5 months.

How do you reactivate a old cancelled serve account?

Serve card is eligible for Small Biz Saturday promo also. Sign up is live now.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1296249/m18119527/#m18...

VegasVegan said:   Serve card is eligible for Small Biz Saturday promo also. Sign up is live now.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1296249/m18119527/#m18...

I also realized that today. Signed up both my serve cards. Now 4 total amex cards with the SBS promo

anyone tried ISIS at bestbuy?
my brother thinking of buying a desktop all in one computer.

anybody get bonus?

Here's an article about ISIS. The writer isn't impressed.

Isis Mobile Payments Launches With No Meaningful Advantages

taz112576 said:   The list of places is not complete at all. I have used it at best buy, kroger family of stores. I am sure there are a lot more pieces that accept it.
It should be usable at any merchant that has the touch credit card reader. Most groceries, drug stores, even Staples has them. I see that they list CVS and Rite Aid near me, but not Staples. I forgot about OfficeMax (which is on their list), maybe I'll use the app to buy the discounted gift card from them on Friday.

Can't say how awesome this deal is. The Point of Sale CashBack is the hardest gap to fill, and 20% CB is phenomenal. Thanks!

billrubin said:   
taz112576 said:   The list of places is not complete at all. I have used it at best buy, kroger family of stores. I am sure there are a lot more pieces that accept it.
It should be usable at any merchant that has the touch credit card reader. Most groceries, drug stores, even Staples has them. I see that they list CVS and Rite Aid near me, but not Staples. I forgot about OfficeMax (which is on their list), maybe I'll use the app to buy the discounted gift card from them on Friday.

OM don't take it,  after merging with OD this feature is disabled (at least in my area)

kaktak said:     OM don't take it,  after merging with OD this feature is disabled (at least in my area)
Well that sucks! Good thing I didn't get down to OM to try it. Strange that they'd disable the contactless reader.

I actually tried to load money onto my Serve card yesterday from rebate debit cards It stopped working after the 2nd card so I did not have enough money on the card to do the OM deal. I found old threads that said they've been cracking down on this.  So I need to figure out a way to get money onto the card quickly, although it sounds like it may not matter at this point (plus I'm sure by the time I get to OM in the morning they will have sold out of the very few gift cards that they had available for the promotion.

I used it at 3 places this weekend and the 20% rebate showed up 2 days later as "Compliments of ISIS", one per transaction.

I tried to use it at a couple more places but their contactless reader wasn't working. I hate when that happens!

A couple people mentioned here that Serve has a $5 monthly maintenance fee. Though that is waived with monthly direct deposits of $500 or more.

I just downloaded Serve's Schedule_of_Services_and_Fees_12_03_13.pdf. The monthly fee is only $1 not $5. Am I missing something?

I've looked around & this is the lowest cost overall for a major (V, MC, DSCR, AMEX) prepaid credit card I've found NOT forcibly tied to another bank account.
I like that I can go to CVS hand them cash & it's loaded without any fees. No greendot, vanilla road etc. bs load card. 7-11 is to be added to CVS as a no
load fee location in the future.

I am awaiting the delivery of my Serve card. After I canceled, destroyed, and ranted a bit to an AMEX CSR about the ridiculousness/highway robbery/insanity of
the greendot, vanilla road etc. BS of their regular (not Serve) prepaid Amex card.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014