• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
ISIS is a mobile wallet application for contact-less payments.  Read about it here .

They currently have a promotion for AmEx Serve card holders where if you use ISIS to pay with your serve card you will get 20% back up to $200!

Here is the promotion link .

Here you can search for places near you that accept ISIS payments 

So all you have to do is go and buy $1000 worth of stuff from the stores listed (Walgreens and CVS appears to be listed in my location).  20% back on that is a cool $200 posted right to your Serve account.

Here's the rub... you need a cellphone that supports it.  Which basically means a relatively recent Android model.  Look to see if your phone supports it here .

Not only is this an amazing promotion, but the ISIS app actually looks really great,  Unfortunately, it can't be used everywhere (or by every phone).

Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

ISIS is a mobile wallet application (42.63kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yes, the 20% back offer is extended thru end of February.  I signed up at the end of January and received an email from ... (more)

lambo881 (Feb. 08, 2014 @ 10:12p) |

kaktak (Mar. 13, 2014 @ 2:50p) |

The promotion worked at CVS for purchase of a Serve card (initial balance load transferred to another Serve card) and a ... (more)

idfubar (Mar. 15, 2014 @ 4:21a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
No IOS... thumbs down to ISIS! iBeacon hello!

rated:
Office Depot came up in my area.LOL! Too bad I closed my Serve account a couple of weeks ago when they introduced their insane monthly maintenance fees.

rated:
cnIsfg said:   Office Depot came up in my area.LOL! Too bad I closed my Serve account a couple of weeks ago when they introduced their insane monthly maintenance fees.

  
Their $5 monthly fee doesn't apply if you load at least $500 monthly.  'Most people (on this forum) with a Serve (or BB) have no issues loading $500+ monthly.

rated:
no iphone supported? wow!!

rated:
So I go to cvs, buy $1000 VR and pay with Isis/serve, come home load back to serve, and get $200 back? Am I missing something?

rated:
FUApple said:   no iphone supported? wow!!
  
Get used to it. This isnt 2005. Most of us have moved on to better things.

rated:
FUApple said:   no iphone supported? wow!!
  
This requires NFC (Near Field Communications) support which so far the iPhone's hardware does not support.
 

rated:
Sammich said:   
FUApple said:   no iphone supported? wow!!
  
Get used to it. This isnt 2005. Most of us have moved on to better things.

2005? What happened in 2005? First iPhone came in 2007 and Samsung didn't copy it till couple of years later....

rated:
Mungo said:   
FUApple said:   no iphone supported? wow!!
  
This requires NFC (Near Field Communications) support which so far the iPhone's hardware does not support.

makes sense. thanks.

rated:
A list of requirements

-Android device
-NFC
-Mobile network
-AT&T or Verizon or Tmobile
-American Express Serve Card
-spending $1000 in participating stores

rated:
Note if you have a Rooted phone this will not work. The ISIS app will just give you an error that your phone is rooted & quit.

rated:
Can you use wifi to connect to the internet if you don't have a data plan with one of these carriers?

rated:
Good deal, but no Nexus 4/5 device support. Ridiculous.

rated:
Mungo said:   Note if you have a Rooted phone this will not work. The ISIS app will just give you an error that your phone is rooted & quit.
  So let me understand.  If you are smart and want a secure phone, you bought an iPhone and this won't work.  
If are smart and bought a phone that was open and flexible, you bought and android phone and rooted it, again this won't work.  
If you didn't know what the hell you were doing and listened to the guy at the phone store, you bought that cheap android phone and it is not open and flexible and not secure, winner winner chicken dinner, ISIS is for you.

rated:
Mungo said:   Note if you have a Rooted phone this will not work. The ISIS app will just give you an error that your phone is rooted & quit.
  
There are apps that allow you to temp unroot.  Have you tried them and see what it does?

rated:
BenH said:   
cnIsfg said:   Office Depot came up in my area.LOL! Too bad I closed my Serve account a couple of weeks ago when they introduced their insane monthly maintenance fees.

  
Their $5 monthly fee doesn't apply if you load at least $500 monthly.  'Most people (on this forum) with a Serve (or BB) have no issues loading $500+ monthly.

 I disagree. Most savvy FWers don't want to load $500  a month on a card which they get no guaranteed monthly Cash Back rewards. and no purchase protection benefits. You might as well just use your debit card. IMO most who here who got a Serve card did it for the sign up bonus and the occasional matching of funds loaded. I have been using my ISS capable Galaxy Note phone for a few months now while on the road to make payments with my BOA card and I have discovered most retailers limit ISIS transactions amounts to $25 and they restrict the type of items you can purchase. (Ie CVS does not allow ISIS on GCs ,stamps, alcohol or prescriptions) . This highest ISIS payment limit I have seen is a BP station that allowed $50 prepaid in the store. Spending $1000 at $25 a pop on things you actually need is not as easy as you might think.

rated:
pretty intersting, I never know you could save money with those things. thanks

rated:
jw530 said:   Can you use wifi to connect to the internet if you don't have a data plan with one of these carriers?
  Nope you need a phone that has a Secure Element SIMM card and a data plan. Verizon charged me $15 for that SIMM. Few if any phones come with a Secure Element SIMM card standard. Even with the Secure Element SIMM card installed if you try to use it on a Wi-Fi network the Android application will  start with all the options greyed out.

rated:
wtfu said:   A list of requirements

-Android device
-NFC
-Mobile network
-AT&T or Verizon or Tmobile
-American Express Serve Card
-spending $1000 in participating stores

  You forgot a Secure Element SIMM card

rated:
like cheap plastic knockoffs with horrific user experience? ok.

rated:
cnIsfg said:   
BenH said:   
cnIsfg said:   Office Depot came up in my area.LOL! Too bad I closed my Serve account a couple of weeks ago when they introduced their insane monthly maintenance fees.

  
Their $5 monthly fee doesn't apply if you load at least $500 monthly.  'Most people (on this forum) with a Serve (or BB) have no issues loading $500+ monthly.

 I disagree. Most savvy FWers don't want to load $500  a month on a card which they get no guaranteed monthly Cash Back rewards. and no purchase protection benefits. You might as well just use your debit card. IMO most who here who got a Serve card did it for the sign up bonus and the occasional matching of funds loaded. I have been using my ISS capable Galaxy Note phone for a few months now while on the road to make payments with my BOA card and I have discovered most retailers limit ISIS transactions amounts to $25 and they restrict the type of items you can purchase. (Ie CVS does not allow ISIS on GCs ,stamps, alcohol or prescriptions) . This highest ISIS payment limit I have seen is a BP station that allowed $50 prepaid in the store. Spending $1000 at $25 a pop on things you actually need is not as easy as you might think.

  
I highly disagree on the first statement - while many may have signed up for the bonuses, those are paltry in comparison to the manufactured spend opportunity that Serve provides.  I load thousands on my (wife's) Serve each month.

Regarding the latter... I have not used ISIS yet.  If indeed the retailers will not allow large transaction then that definitely puts a damper on things.  If they have a hard and fast rule that no GCs are allowed at all then I agree, this makes the task a bit onerous unless you are in need of something specific at these retailers.

However, if the restriction is not on all GC purchases, but rather certain amounts, then you can certainly still churn this pretty easily.  WG/CVS sells retailer gift cards of all types with no activation fees.

If they allow you to buy a $25 Amazon or Best Buy GC let's say... A $25 transaction I would think would be allowed.  Now that means you need 40 visits to the stores, but most people don't have a hard time finding 3-4 of these retailers within a short distance.
You could do a quick run to all stores.  Now that is still 10 rounds of trips, but as this promo goes until next year, and the holidays are coming up I am sure that many people can use these GCs.

20% back is a very good return to make this worth while to those that have these retailers nearby.

I agree that if your statements about ISIS restrictions are true this makes it difficult, and the hardware requirements further restrict the audience.  But this is still an extremely generous Cash Back offer.

rated:
It gets harder, you need the app, and nfc phone AND a new isis sim. The sim contains the isis secure element required to use isis. Need to visit a tmobile store to swap out your sim.

rated:
BenH said:   
cnIsfg said:   
BenH said:   
cnIsfg said:   Office Depot came up in my area.LOL! Too bad I closed my Serve account a couple of weeks ago when they introduced their insane monthly maintenance fees.

  
Their $5 monthly fee doesn't apply if you load at least $500 monthly.  'Most people (on this forum) with a Serve (or BB) have no issues loading $500+ monthly.

 I disagree. Most savvy FWers don't want to load $500  a month on a card which they get no guaranteed monthly Cash Back rewards. and no purchase protection benefits. You might as well just use your debit card. IMO most who here who got a Serve card did it for the sign up bonus and the occasional matching of funds loaded. I have been using my ISS capable Galaxy Note phone for a few months now while on the road to make payments with my BOA card and I have discovered most retailers limit ISIS transactions amounts to $25 and they restrict the type of items you can purchase. (Ie CVS does not allow ISIS on GCs ,stamps, alcohol or prescriptions) . This highest ISIS payment limit I have seen is a BP station that allowed $50 prepaid in the store. Spending $1000 at $25 a pop on things you actually need is not as easy as you might think.

  
I highly disagree on the first statement - while many may have signed up for the bonuses, those are paltry in comparison to the manufactured spend opportunity that Serve provides.  I load thousands on my (wife's) Serve each month.

Regarding the latter... I have not used ISIS yet.  If indeed the retailers will not allow large transaction then that definitely puts a damper on things.  If they have a hard and fast rule that no GCs are allowed at all then I agree, this makes the task a bit onerous unless you are in need of something specific at these retailers.

However, if the restriction is not on all GC purchases, but rather certain amounts, then you can certainly still churn this pretty easily.  WG/CVS sells retailer gift cards of all types with no activation fees.

If they allow you to buy a $25 Amazon or Best Buy GC let's say... A $25 transaction I would think would be allowed.  Now that means you need 40 visits to the stores, but most people don't have a hard time finding 3-4 of these retailers within a short distance.
You could do a quick run to all stores.  Now that is still 10 rounds of trips, but as this promo goes until next year, and the holidays are coming up I am sure that many people can use these GCs.

20% back is a very good return to make this worth while to those that have these retailers nearby.

I agree that if your statements about ISIS restrictions are true this makes it difficult, and the hardware requirements further restrict the audience.  But this is still an extremely generous Cash Back offer.
 

No offense, but if  you are loading thousands monthly to a Serve account it sounds like you are wasting a lot money. Other than a few measly $25-$50 matching fund promos there have been no other Cash Back opportunities for Serve members unit this promo. Plus this promo requires additional hardware so it is not available to even available all Serve card holders. .In comparison there are MANY traditional credit card promos that offer as much has a $1000 cash or cash equivalent sign up bonus plus up to 5% back monthly which can generate some descent if you are spending thousands per month. Also and IMO the most import is that your consumer protection rights with Serve are severely limited vs a regular credit card covered under the FCBA . That is why AMEX loves to offer this reloadable card as their liability is near zero

As far as ISIS, it is was designed for quick micro-payments at retailers and at automated vending/kiosks . Bottom line, you are not going to find any retailer willing to accept ISIS for huge dollar transactions. As for CVS  I have already posted my experience above. You are not going to buy any GC( CVS or third party)  at CVS using ISIS. I have not used it in other similar retailers since I have not found any participating in  ISIS but I seriously doubt those restrictions are CVS specific but rather a  block placed in the ISIS system.

If you already have the hardware and you are willing to jump through the hoops to make many small purchases required to get to $1000 then this is a great deal. However that 20% return quickly diminishes when you factor in your gas, time and effort to get to $1000 especially when compared to many here who already get a minimum 5% back PLUS other bonus opportunities such as $5 back on $25 at BP with their regular AMEX Card without any hassles

rated:
It's a good deal if you can get it to work and ISIS apparently will also remove the service fee. Here's what irritates me, this is the first I'm hearing about a service fee, they sent me no notice. My phone is rooted so I uninstalled the app and am canceling my Serve account. Android is open source and I will do with my phone as I please thank you very much. Verizon users, support Google Wallet! Root users can use already or wait until the update when it can no longer be blocked.

rated:
does Straight Talk =  AT&T? I am on the AT&T network via Straight Talk but doubt I can walk into an AT&T store to get a Secure Element SIM card.

rated:
Nice. Looks like it just paid for my new LG G2! And Serve is not charging a monthly fee in NY so I still have mine.

I also found a free 12 ounce Jamba Juice smoothie or juice coupon in the offers. And $15 off $30 at Toys R Us.

rated:
iPhone only and no one bats an eye

Android only and everyone loses their mind.


rated:
cnIsfg said:   
No offense, but if  you are loading thousands monthly to a Serve account it sounds like you are wasting a lot money. Other than a few measly $25-$50 matching fund promos there have been no other Cash Back opportunities for Serve members unit this promo. Plus this promo requires additional hardware so it is not available to even available all Serve card holders. .In comparison there are MANY traditional credit card promos that offer as much has a $1000 cash or cash equivalent sign up bonus plus up to 5% back monthly which can generate some descent if you are spending thousands per month. Also and IMO the most import is that your consumer protection rights with Serve are severely limited vs a regular credit card covered under the FCBA . That is why AMEX loves to offer this reloadable card as their liability is near zero

 


No offense taken...you are apparently ignorant (and I say that in its truest meaning, not in an offensive way) with the idea of manufactured spend and the usage of Serve and other pre-paid cards as a means to liquidate .
I assure you that Serve only serves (no pun intended) to make me money.
cnIsfg said:   
As far as ISIS, it is was designed for quick micro-payments at retailers and at automated vending/kiosks . Bottom line, you are not going to find any retailer willing to accept ISIS for huge dollar transactions. As for CVS  I have already posted my experience above. You are not going to buy any GC( CVS or third party)  at CVS using ISIS. I have not used it in other similar retailers since I have not found any participating in  ISIS but I seriously doubt those restrictions are CVS specific but rather a  block placed in the ISIS system.

If you already have the hardware and you are willing to jump through the hoops to make many small purchases required to get to $1000 then this is a great deal. However that 20% return quickly diminishes when you factor in your gas, time and effort to get to $1000 especially when compared to many here who already get a minimum 5% back PLUS other bonus opportunities such as $5 back on $25 at BP with their regular AMEX Card without any hassles

Again, I'm not going to dispute your experience with ISIS, as I have none myself and have no reason to doubt you. There are people (like myself) who make several visits weekly to CVS and Walgreen type stores for related purchases and the ability to buy maybe $25-50/visit and get 20% Cash Back is a great perk. If you are right and they won't let you use ISIS for even that amount then I agree that earning the $200 on this deal is likely more difficult. Gas arguments are really worthless as I can guarantee that I could make at least 3x as many trips as I would need to on less than a tank of gas ($40) which still leaves a huge profit margin. Your time argument is more valid if indeed you had no reason to visit these stores in the first place.

rated:
No love for Sprint.

rated:
Thanks for the post. But, maybe you should take "Easy" out of the Title and add YMMV.

rated:
thanks

rated:
wtfu said:   A list of requirements

-Android device
-NFC
-Mobile network
-AT&T or Verizon or Tmobile
-American Express Serve Card
-spending $1000 in participating stores

  + security SIM card

rated:
zmmnj said:   
wtfu said:   A list of requirements

-Android device
-NFC
-Mobile network
-AT&T or Verizon or Tmobile
-American Express Serve Card
-spending $1000 in participating stores

  + security SIM card

  My G2 apparently has one as the app did not complain.

rated:
vandbmdub said:   iPhone only and no one bats an eye

Android only and everyone loses their mind.


  It's not that the iPhone is NOT supported, it's that it CAN'T be because it doesn't have NFC capability. Android devices have had them for a few generations now.

rated:
cnIsfg said:   
jw530 said:   Can you use wifi to connect to the internet if you don't have a data plan with one of these carriers?
  Nope you need a phone that has a Secure Element SIMM card and a data plan. Verizon charged me $15 for that SIMM. Few if any phones come with a Secure Element SIMM card standard. Even with the Secure Element SIMM card installed if you try to use it on a Wi-Fi network the Android application will  start with all the options greyed out.

  The app didn't complain about my LG G2, so it must have one.

rated:
At T-Mobile store: got the free Advanced SIM, signed up for isis, linked my serve card to it (I already had a serve card with $1000 on it from 5 $200 CC loads), paid $1000 toward my T-Mobile bill using isis.  Easy $200 (assuming the credit posts).

So, T-Mobile (at least this location in southern California) didn't limit isis transactions to a small amount.  And they let me pay more than I owed for my T-Mobile bill.

rated:
I have the phone, the app, the network, the SIM card, and the Serve card; however I have no place to use it. The only two merchants on this rock are Jamba juice and Verizon. I have no need for $1000 of over priced smoothies. This may be a better deal for those in large cities but not worth my time here

rated:
Craig said:   I have the phone, the app, the network, the SIM card, and the Serve card; however I have no place to use it. The only two merchants on this rock are Jamba juice and Verizon. I have no need for $1000 of over priced smoothies. This may be a better deal for those in large cities but not worth my time here
I think you're confusing the in-app offers with this 20% deal (so did I initially). That appears to be valid with any merchant that takes ISIS, which includes Walgreens and Office Depot. I also was underwhelmed with the in-app offers (although $15 off $30 at Toys R Us is nice if you have kids).

Skipping 73 Messages...
rated:
The promotion worked at CVS for purchase of a Serve card (initial balance load transferred to another Serve card) and a NetSpend card (balance transferable via Amazon Payments)...

PS: Thanks OP!

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014