• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Does anyone know whether ATT charges for issuing enhanced SIM?
Thx.

rated:
No charge for secure element card on At&t

rated:
BenH, et. al...

Has anyone managed to successfully make a non-trivial Isis/Serve purchase (say, for many hundreds at CVS), where the cashier needs to punch in the last four digits of the card?  I know the Isis app will display the last 5 digits of the Isis generated card numbers -- didn't know if this would fly...

rated:
To answer my own question above -- I successfully made a large CVS purchase with Isis.  The last 4 digits of the card can be displayed by tapping on the Serve card when it's on the screen -- it'll display the last 5 digits of the RFID generated card number (which differs from your physical Amex or Serve card).  The cashier punched in the last 4 digits without difficulty or question.

rated:
I never realized how many stores' contactless readers were broken until I started using this app! I bought some gift cards at Shoprite (supermarket) last week since they had a deal where you got $15 back when you bought $100 worth. At my normal store, none of their readers were working. So I tried another store that I was near that day, and while I noticed the light on the reader at customer service (I only saw the light because the normal cover was taken off), it did not work at a register. I went to customer service, and it worked there. But the cashier had never seen someone use their phone for this before, so he cancelled the transaction and insisted that a supervisor come over before he would let it go thru! Of course the supervisor told him that if  the register took it, it was fine. But as a result of cancelling the first transaction, I had my first $100 transaction holding money on my account for several days as a pending transaction!

Anyway, tomorrow OfficeMax has a deal for $15 off your purchase of $150 worth of AMEX gift cards. It says it excludes the $200 card, so I'm guessing that the idea is that you need to buy 2 cards to get to $150, which will make it a marginal money maker for most people. However, OM was actually on the list of stores that ISIS had in my area, so if their contactless readers are actually working, it could be a good use for the 20% off. The limit is 2 offers, so you'd be able to get $300 worth of gift cards.

rated:
Got my two credits totaling $200!  Easy peasy.

<edit>

To the Isis haters here, some commentary...  Isis really doesn't suck!  As BenH has already stated, the app is reasonably polished.  Also, for those spewing about the greatness of Google Wallet... Wallet uses MasterCard's PayPass NFC and MasterCard's payment processing system, regardless of the cards that you have linked to it.  In other words, it's an indirect purchase, much the same way that a PayPal POS purchase appears as a PayPal purchase, rather than a direct merchant purchase.  Doing this also complicates many of the credit card purchase protections that we particularly enjoy.  As a Google front-ended MasterCard purchase, I'm also sure Google's taking a piece of the payment processing pie, much the same way PayPal pockets CC fees, regardless of funding sources.

Most of us FWer's (particularly those that frequent FWF) are CC bonus-whores.  Having an intermediary in the payment processing mix thwarts the proper categorization of purchases.  As best as I can tell, Isis does *not* do this -- the posted transactions appear as straight-up merchant purchases (with Isis appended to the description).  I suspect that this level of integration is what's causing the slow adoption of Isis with various financial institutions -- as the FI has to be complicit in the RF transaction.  It appears that Isis is temporarily combating this by encouraging users to use Amex Serve, funding "with their favorite credit card".  Of course, this causes the same categorization issues that Google Wallet causes, but it does provide some of the perks that Amex cards bring to the party.

rated:
jbfromfl said:   
Mungo said:   Note if you have a Rooted phone this will not work. The ISIS app will just give you an error that your phone is rooted & quit.
  So let me understand.  If you are smart and want a secure phone, you bought an iPhone and this won't work.  
If are smart and bought a phone that was open and flexible, you bought and android phone and rooted it, again this won't work.  
If you didn't know what the hell you were doing and listened to the guy at the phone store, you bought that cheap android phone and it is not open and flexible and not secure, winner winner chicken dinner, ISIS is for you.

An iPhone is not any more secure than any other phone from a security perspective (arguably they are less secure given recent vulnerability reports). They are only "secure" from the user in that the user cannot do what they want with it - however that's not the same as actual security, which in the case of digital wallets is "how likely is your phone to get compromised and have a data loss incident". 

There are workarounds so that ISIS can work on some rooted Android ROMs.

No offense to you, but the claim that iPhone is a secure phone just on the merits of iOS is flawed and people with that thought process are not "smart". In fact, iOS has security issues like any other operating system and is possibly a better Target for being compromised, because (and I'm making a broad generalization here) less security-conscious users use this platform or users that think it's "secure" without doing anything.

rated:
Here's a link to the thread discussing the OfficeMax AMEX gift card deal. I got $600 worth of gift cards today. I made around $16 buying them but of course the big savings is the $120 I'll get from AMEX.

Link

rated:
wtfu said:   A list of requirements

-Android device
-NFC
-Mobile network
-AT&T or Verizon or Tmobile
-American Express Serve Card
-spending $1000 in participating stores

So Sprint users don't qualify?

rated:
this service isis is named after a female ancient egyptian whose boyfriend/brother, named osiris, was killed and brutally cut into pieces and his body parts hidden all over town. then isis tried to find all the body pieces, she found all his body parts except just one, which i will not mention. in honor of this missing body part, egyptians started making oblisks, and the most famous egyptian oblisk was taken from egypt and relocated to central part, new york. then we erected the washington monument, in honor of osiris' missing body part that isis could not locate anywhere in town.
so when you are using the isis payment method, i would like you to know the backstory of isis.

rated:
NubileGrandma said:   this service isis is named after a female ancient egyptian whose boyfriend/brother, named osiris, was killed and brutally cut into pieces and his body parts hidden all over town. then isis tried to find all the body pieces, she found all his body parts except just one, which i will not mention. in honor of this missing body part, egyptians started making oblisks, and the most famous egyptian oblisk was taken from egypt and relocated to central part, new york. then we erected the washington monument, in honor of osiris' missing body part that isis could not locate anywhere in town.
so when you are using the isis payment method, i would like you to know the backstory of isis.

And milk comes from a cow's tit.  The point?

rated:
I got 4 $29.18 credits from Serve for my $150 gift card purchases at OfficeMax on Sunday. So I have enough to do it one more time. Need to figure out if it's worth doing $300, as it will definitely put me over, but it might be worth it as an easy way to get the remainder of the $200.

rated:
Has anyone paid a Verizon bill with this?

I went to Verizon today to try and pay. Frustrating experience. They just kept getting an error message. They didn't have any advice for me or understanding as to why. I called Serve. They said no transaction was even attempted. I left the store and eventually went back to even try again. They said a manager looked it up and was able to confirm you can't pay a Verizon bill using ISIS. You can only buy new phones or accessories. This doesn't quite make sense to me and as always with retail you have to wonder if someone just didn't know what they were doing.

If no one else has tried this yet, would someone with Verizon please try to pay a bill this way?

They did upgrade my SIM card for free and add ISIS to my account as a feature (free but the manager said it has to be added). I was able to use ISIS successfully at the CVS next door to purchase a Cracker Barrel card. However, it only allowed up to the amount I had in my Serve account ($13). It did not automatically switch to my backup Visa card as it was supposed to. I attempted to add funds with my credit card and it said to call Serve. I called Serve (again) and they said it was a security feature and they had to contact my Visa issuer, etc. In short, big mess. I had to laugh at every step on the app and webpage that kept using the word "EASY". Nothing like this is ever as easy as they make it sound.

rated:
anyone knows how to deal with the "your phone is rooted" error?

rated:
tomprc,

Did you follow the steps here? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2425346

rated:
tomprc said:   anyone knows how to deal with the "your phone is rooted" error?
  there are some apps what allow temp un root

rated:
jasonatq1520radiocom said:   Has anyone paid a Verizon bill with this?

I went to Verizon today to try and pay. Frustrating experience. They just kept getting an error message.

I've had a couple of stores where it got declined (multiple times) and I have no idea why. It's certainly frustrating when it happens!

What is the proper way to use the Jamba Juice promotion? I used it yesterday for the second time. The first time they just entered the coupon code and it was free and I never used my phone. Yesterday. the person had me touch my phone but then when I saw it was still charging me $5.41 I had them call over the manager and he allegedly did something to correct it and make it free. however, I am showing a pending charge for $5.41 on my Serve account. I hope it does not actually clear since I don't want to have to figure out how to dispute a charge on Serve.

rated:
I just wonder if its as the employees say just not possible to pay a bill with Isis. Like something in their computer blocks and prevents them from doing so. That's what the error message they received was explained to me to mean. I've reached out to a couple Verizon help areas but I'm really not sure where to post this issue. Billing? Account? Apps on the phone? Tech support? Isis? Verizon? Square? My Visa issuer? :/

rated:
jasonatq1520radiocom said:   I just wonder if its as the employees say just not possible to pay a bill with Isis. Like something in their computer blocks and prevents them from doing so. That's what the error message they received was explained to me to mean. I've reached out to a couple Verizon help areas but I'm really not sure where to post this issue. Billing? Account? Apps on the phone? Tech support? Isis? Verizon? Square? My Visa issuer? :/
Why don't you just say "I want to pay my bill with my credit card" (do not mention ISIS) and then just touch your phone instead of using a physical credit card. In theory, it should be the same process. If they tell you that you can't pay by credit card, then that would explain the phone issue.

rated:
We did try it that way. Then the employees say when I touch my phone, an error with a number appears on their screen with no further explanation. They don't know why or how to bypass that error. I ask if they can call anyone to find out more information and they say no. Later I confirmed via Facebook with Verizon that paying your bill will NOT work. The employees were right. Why? Who knows. Dumb. Sucks. So I paid my gigantic 2 month, 2 line, $260 bill and did NOT get 20% off

Now I'm wondering if I could have bought Verizon gift cards at the Verizon store with ISIS... then used those to pay my bill :/

But either way, it's done for last month. Might try again with my gift card idea this month. I just want 20% off my Verizon bill lol

rated:
I've been able to pay my Verizon bill in the store with ISIS using the Serve card.  The employee walked me though it, so it wasn't so bad. You are correct though, it was supposed to automatically pull from the backup source but it doesn't. Every time i need to make a purchase a have to transfer the funds.  Has anyone successfully bought gift cards with the ISIS serve account at Walgreens?  I was hoping to buy gift cards to get the 20% back but that would need to be $750 in cards. 

rated:
i bought some gift cards at Rite Aid with isis, total $1000. got the $200... the only problem is that the isis supposedly showed the last 5 digits of my serve card on my phone but that was NOT the last 5 digits printed on my card!! anyone has the same problem on their isis wallet?
very strange but the cashier still let the transaction go through since i was a regular there...

rated:
FUApple said:   
Sammich said:   
FUApple said:   no iphone supported? wow!!

Get used to it. This isnt 2005. Most of us have moved on to better things.

2005? What happened in 2005? First iPhone came in 2007 and Samsung didn't copy it till couple of years later....

He must have meant Blackberry.  Which is true, everyone DID move to better things

rated:
will this work for blue bird?

rated:
No, just Amex Serve that is loaded on ISIS (Bluebird can't be loaded on ISIS).

rated:
jasonatq1520radiocom said:   We did try it that way. Then the employees say when I touch my phone, an error with a number appears on their screen with no further explanation. They don't know why or how to bypass that error. I ask if they can call anyone to find out more information and they say no. Later I confirmed via Facebook with Verizon that paying your bill will NOT work. The employees were right. Why? Who knows. Dumb. Sucks. So I paid my gigantic 2 month, 2 line, $260 bill and did NOT get 20% off

Now I'm wondering if I could have bought Verizon gift cards at the Verizon store with ISIS... then used those to pay my bill :/

But either way, it's done for last month. Might try again with my gift card idea this month. I just want 20% off my Verizon bill lol

I paid part of my verizon bill with no issue using ISIS.  (using the $10 free credit, so just prepaid $10 of my bill).  This was back in december though, not sure if they added some restrictions since then.

rated:
catbertsf said:   i bought some gift cards at Rite Aid with isis, total $1000. got the $200... the only problem is that the isis supposedly showed the last 5 digits of my serve card on my phone but that was NOT the last 5 digits printed on my card!! anyone has the same problem on their isis wallet?
very strange but the cashier still let the transaction go through since i was a regular there...

Did you see the earlier post from 'HotSalami'...?

rated:
billrubin said:   
jasonatq1520radiocom said:   Has anyone paid a Verizon bill with this?

I went to Verizon today to try and pay. Frustrating experience. They just kept getting an error message.

I've had a couple of stores where it got declined (multiple times) and I have no idea why. It's certainly frustrating when it happens!

What is the proper way to use the Jamba Juice promotion? I used it yesterday for the second time. The first time they just entered the coupon code and it was free and I never used my phone. Yesterday. the person had me touch my phone but then when I saw it was still charging me $5.41 I had them call over the manager and he allegedly did something to correct it and make it free. however, I am showing a pending charge for $5.41 on my Serve account. I hope it does not actually clear since I don't want to have to figure out how to dispute a charge on Serve.

Are you sure the promotion isn't a credit back after you're charged the full price...?

rated:
This promo was to expire in January but it's been extended through this month too.

rated:
Is this extended or a new offer for feb?

rated:
Yes, the 20% back offer is extended thru end of February.  I signed up at the end of January and received an email from ISIS yesterday telling me about the 20% and showing an offer expiration of January 28.  I got my Serve sign-up bonus of $20 right away and had tested it out with a couple of small purchases.  I received 20% back on those purchases which was nice.  Just need to get funds loaded so I can take advantage of the full $200 back.  I do find the Jamba Juice coupon a little tricky to use and ended up paying for one.  With Jamba Juice, you need to select the offer first so that a coupon, which looks like another card, shows up behind your Serve or preferred payment card.  If there's no "card" behind it, then it's not going to be free.  Then when you tap, it should process the coupon, but be careful.  In my case, the cashier couldn't process it the first time and I had to tap again.  However, the coupon disappeared after the first tap and I didn't realize it.  What I needed to do was not tap again yet, but to back out to the offers and select again.  Learned the first time, works great now.  Others have mentioned issues with readers not working and I ran across that tonight.  Lots of bugs and not a lot of stores that take it yet.  Will have to see if things improve.  By the way, for you iPhone owners on AT&T, you can now use ISIS, but you'll need to buy a special case with a NFC chip.  The cases went on sale at AT&T stores last week.

rated:

rated:
The promotion worked at CVS for purchase of a Serve card (initial balance load transferred to another Serve card) and a NetSpend card (balance transferable via Amazon Payments)...

PS: Thanks OP!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014