Google Wallet Card FREE!

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Free Google Wallet Card at wallet.google.com . It's like the Google Wallet app, but an actual physical card.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-wallet-card-now-avialable-order-ships-10-12-days  

"The Google Wallet Card is a physical prepaid debit card that allows you to access your Wallet Balance in the real world, at ATMs, banks, and wherever MasterCard® Debit is accepted."

Member Summary

google wallet
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
There was a problem authorizing your card. Contact your bank if this problem continues.

This is the error I get when I tr... (more)

oradbatic (Nov. 26, 2013 @ 8:22p) |

Got my GW card a couple of weeks ago.

Loaded it with credit card a couple of times, no fees.

Great maybe for CashBack on ... (more)

rpina1 (Dec. 19, 2013 @ 11:39p) |

I am writing because I ordered a card about a month ago and know I cant find it so I really need

mshill47 (Mar. 01, 2014 @ 7:21a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

for verification they ask your last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, birth date.

Also as promotion till Dec 1st you can add up to $250 to your GW account through your CC for free, anything after that, you will be charged 2.9% + $0.30 service fee (adding from the bank is free)

Ordered it hoping Google comes up with some Wallet deals soon

why the hassle?

Good info...went ahead and ordered one. This is nothing compared to the physical card they had planned earlier, but always nice to have more options.

While interesting, I'm not seeing why this would be better than a rewards credit card or similar. Can someone clarify what I'm missing?

s002cjs said:   While interesting, I'm not seeing why this would be better than a rewards credit card or similar. Can someone clarify what I'm missing?

At this point i would say you're right - it's basically worthless.  It allows you to spend money from your Wallet account.  To put money *in* your wallet account you can either do it as a bank transfer for free or pay a 2.9% fee to put it in from a credit card.

i know Google Wallet has some protection, but I'm sure its no better than most of the other cards.

I only requested it so I have it on file should they choose to enhance their services.

s002cjs said:   While interesting, I'm not seeing why this would be better than a rewards credit card or similar. Can someone clarify what I'm missing?

Depends on what offers google brings later,

For now I can think of 
1) No cash withdrawal charge at ATM's
2) Pool multiple accounts to one place
2) Maybe some future rewards on using the card

If nothing comes up, is there anything to lose?

bhanush said:   

Depends on what offers google brings later,

For now I can think of 
1) No cash withdrawal charge at ATM's
2) Pool multiple accounts to one place
2) Maybe some future rewards on using the card

If nothing comes up, is there anything to lose?

Realistically only your last offer is anything of value (what I assume was meant to be #3) - future rewards.

Cash withdrawal at ATMs - why is this even necessary?  It is your GW account - you can just ACH transfer into a bank account for free.  Sure, its nice to have, but not a game changer at all by itself.

Pool multiple accounts into one place - This only has value if your accounts that back-end the card can actually be exposed directly to the vendor.  The original GW card was going to have this feature (like the new Coin, or unmaterialized Echo cards).  I doubt that we will see this happening as they already nixed the initiative.

So rewards are all I can think of...paypal has already done this with their similar card.  So for instance you might get $10 off a $40 purchase at Home Depot if you use your GW card.  It is precisely these offers why you should get the card now, rather than when the offers come out since you might miss out on it as you wait for your card.

But yes, there is nothing to lose (other than the physical card) if you have one...so why not!

bhanush said:   for verification they ask your last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, birth date.

Also as promotion till Dec 1st you can add up to $250 to your GW account through your CC for free, anything after that, you will be charged 2.9% + $0.30 service fee (adding from the bank is free)

Hi, where you can get this info? I need some CC to fill the spending..

Like one of these: https://amtrakguestrewards.com/info/news  
ADD YOUR AMTRAK GUEST REWARDS ACCOUNT TO GOOGLE WALLET

TERMS & CONDITIONS
Receive a 500 Point Bonus by being one of the first 10,000 Amtrak Guest Rewards Members to add your Amtrak Guest Rewards account to your Google Wallet between November 12, 2013, 12:00:00am CT and December 15, 2013, 11:59:59pm CT. Not one of the first 10,000, then receive a 100 Point Bonus until December 15, 2013. Only one bonus per Member allowed. Other terms and conditions may apply.

awhosit said:   
bhanush said:   for verification they ask your last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, birth date.

Try Loading money to your wallet account, first 250$ is free.

Wow, just read this article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427423,00.asp

What horrible horrible journalism. First the author seems to indicate that this GW card is the same one as the project that got nixed a while back.
Then she goes on to compare it to Coin - which it isn't like at all.

How do people like this even have jobs?

do you have to transfer money to your wallet balance to use the card?

because using wallet from your phone does a straight charge against your credit card without any transfer fee. i'm surprised it wouldn't be the same thing

bhanush said:   

Try Loading money to your wallet account, first 250$ is free.

Thanks. Does it show as a purchase or cash advance in your case? Probably I can block cash advance before trying with my bold.

abscess said:   do you have to transfer money to your wallet balance to use the card?

because using wallet from your phone does a straight charge against your credit card without any transfer fee. i'm surprised it wouldn't be the same thing

I was wondering this too...as I believe this is how Paypal works with their card.  But even if so, what does it add?  The charge will still be against GW and you won't get the bonus points/purchase protections/etc as if you had used your card directly.

Yes, it may make it possible to switch what CC is used for backup funding on your account via a mobile app - but I wouldn't risk that convenience for what you lose.

I like it for a few reasons:

1) Pool accounts for bigger purchases.. I have 3 checking accounts at different banks for different purposes and being able to string more than 1 debit card together for large purchases would be cool
2) Could get them for family and limit spending by funding it when needed

I do wish though that someone at Google comes up with a 2FA method for preauthorizing swipes. If it's linked to an APP, you should be able to have the option to approve each swipe from within the app. That would be a nice to have though.

secgeek said:   I like it for a few reasons:

1) Pool accounts for bigger purchases.. I have 3 checking accounts at different banks for different purposes and being able to string more than 1 debit card together for large purchases would be cool
2) Could get them for family and limit spending by funding it when needed

I do wish though that someone at Google comes up with a 2FA method for preauthorizing swipes. If it's linked to an APP, you should be able to have the option to approve each swipe from within the app. That would be a nice to have though.

So for #1 - what do you mean here?  AFAIK you can likely have some sort of backup funding source, but you wouldn't be able to dynamically allocate X between them.  So are you saying you would just add say $200 from each of 3 debit cards to your GW so that you could make a $600 purchase?
Not really sure why you would want to do this... I mean do you not believe in CC?  Buy that item with for $600 on your CC, get points/CB plus purchase protection, etc.  Then billpay your CC $200 from each account if you need to.  Maybe I misunderstand your intent?

#2 - yeah...I guess you can get a GW account for your kids (if allowed by the T&C) and add some money to them.  Of course Serve, BB, and myriad other cards can do this.  I won't say GW might be better/worse for this, but it isn't like this is a new feature.

Thanks i got one.

I don't believe in CC and haven't for a while. Most big purchases I make I use my Amex charge card and just pay it off at the end of the month... It would be cool if say I wanted to spend 3k, I could fund google wallet with say 3k (from 2 or more sources) and make the purchase that way.

Could get rid of the annual fees on the Amex card, but then again I forgot about reward points that I use fairly often.

For some reason their system could not verify me with my info as it is on my credit report, even with my full SS #, so they want me to send in an ID and proof of address using a recent bill. I can get a $22,000 line of credit from Visa with no problem, but a pre-paid debit card from Google needs all of this?

Please help me out and dumb this down a little.

Why do you or I need this?

donrull said:   For some reason their system could not verify me with my info as it is on my credit report, even with my full SS #, so they want me to send in an ID and proof of address using a recent bill. I can get a $22,000 line of credit from Visa with no problem, but a pre-paid debit card from Google needs all of this?

Don't know the reason, but wanted to point out that the verification process is not specifically to get this card.  I only say that because at some point prior I had to verify myself...I think it might have been when the added the "send money" feature from gmail a few months back.
So, depending on your history with GW, you may already be "verified" and requesting the card is easy as a click.

If it is worth it to you to be verified by them (for this card or something else) and you are legit - it only takes 3 minutes to scan in and email the info they want.  There could have been bad info on your credit report, or maybe you clicked one wrong answer...or maybe it was an error on their end.  I wouldn't take it personally.  Their verification process is meant to meet federal regulations and is not/may not be the same verification process a credit card provider performs.

It requires an SSN. Will it affect your credit scores?

Does anyone know if "loading" the wallet with a credit card is considered a charge or a cash advance? There's a TON of card companies offering 0% APR for as long as 18 months, but this is only on purchases. If you're able to load the card, and it's viewed as a purchase, you would be able to withdraw the $250 from an ATM for an essentially interest free loan. Nothing spectacular but it's something.

ep11365 said:   It requires an SSN. Will it affect your credit scores?
  No, SSN is used for verification.  It would only hurt your score if it was an extension of credit, which it is not.

I'm curious if loading $250 into Google Wallet will count as online purchase for Discover 5% CB. Going to give it a try...

ChipLeader said:   I'm curious if loading $250 into Google Wallet will count as online purchase for Discover 5% CB. Going to give it a try...
  I would love to know this too!  I have an AmEx card I'd like to offload some $ onto my GW account for a nice intro bonus.

Edit:  I gave it a go an added $10.  It shows up as:
=0.625emCATEGORY  BUSINESS SERVICES - INTERNET SERVICES

To me it appears it counts as a purchase, and not a transfer.  Correct me if I'm wrong!

Interesting concept....pay 2.9% surcharge to use your own money as a credit card. How brilliant is that....for the person who gets to collect 2.9% fee and interest on unused money.

I just ordered and it didn't ask me for any of that info

donrull said:   For some reason their system could not verify me with my info as it is on my credit report, even with my full SS #, so they want me to send in an ID and proof of address using a recent bill. I can get a $22,000 line of credit from Visa with no problem, but a pre-paid debit card from Google needs all of this?
  All about them getting a clear profile of the complete data picture on users. I don't trust google seeing how they are forcing consolidating everything(youtube + g+). It may just be me,

If you link a Visa Signature card to this and buy electronics, for example, say goodbye to the 2-yr warranty, etc.

Only use this at McDonalds and 7-11.

awhosit said:   

S197 said:   Does anyone know if "loading" the wallet with a credit card is considered a charge or a cash advance?

Wondering same thing. From everything I've read online the answer is no. May be powerful in addition to AP.

Also FAQ link

yet another way for google to collect information on you and monitor your habits

I saw an ad for an all-in-one credit card called COIN the other day.

https://onlycoin.com/

check out the video... pretty nifty.

I would prefer this to Google aggregating even more of my data (ie spending habits at the point of purchase)

if you transfer funds from your discover cc before Dec. 1st, are you eligible for the 5% Cash Back?

Am I the only one who doesn't see the personal benefit to giving Google the last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, and birth date? They are giving you a useless card in return for them having your verified identity.

peste386 said:   Am I the only one who doesn't see the personal benefit to giving Google the last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, and birth date? They are giving you a useless card in return for them having your verified identity.
if you use any google services and don't think they have that already i'm betting you're mistaken. IMO asking for that info on this screen was merely a formality.

that said, i'm struggling to find a reason to use this card i just requested.

patofw said:   if you use any google services and don't think they have that already i'm betting you're mistaken. IMO asking for that info on this screen was merely a formality.
that said, i'm struggling to find a reason to use this card i just requested.

I guess for most people that is true. I've always been very careful to not give Google any real personal information. In fact, in your Google Ad Settings you can see what your assumed profile is that Google uses to serve you ads. Google thinks I'm 20 years younger then I actually am.

peste386 said:   Am I the only one who doesn't see the personal benefit to giving Google the last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, and birth date? They are giving you a useless card in return for them having your verified identity.

Don't they already know these?

Skipping 27 Messages...
I am writing because I ordered a card about a month ago and know I cant find it so I really need

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014