Google Wallet Card FREE!

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
secgeek said:   I don't believe in CC and haven't for a while. Most big purchases I make I use my Amex charge card and just pay it off at the end of the month... It would be cool if say I wanted to spend 3k, I could fund google wallet with say 3k (from 2 or more sources) and make the purchase that way.

Could get rid of the annual fees on the Amex card, but then again I forgot about reward points that I use fairly often.

I guess this is OT, but I don't understand your rationale at all.  You don't believe in credit, but you use a charge card...and pay a fee for it at that.  What sense does that make?  Since you already have the Amex card, why not just do the 3K on that?  Then pay it off like you normally would.  You'd apparently get the rewards from that.  How is that any different?  

I got it, because I believe Google already knows everything about me, and I have to be ok with it. I am guessing that like the Paypal card (which has given me some special discounts at Home Depot and other places) that Google Wallet will have special discounts for using their card. So I'll get it in my wallet at home (I won't be carrying it every day, for sure) and see what they come up with.

The only decision I have is if I should go ahead and fund my Google Wallet with money from my CC now, before they charge fees, or just wait till later when there may be fees. It's kind of annoying the way they have it setup -- I have a Google Play balance, a credit card on my wallet, and the google wallet balance. I use Google Play All Access for $8/month, but that will ONLY charge to the credit card, not to my wallet or the Play balance. It should all be one bucket.

Infinion said:   
secgeek said:   I don't believe in CC and haven't for a while. Most big purchases I make I use my Amex charge card and just pay it off at the end of the month... It would be cool if say I wanted to spend 3k, I could fund google wallet with say 3k (from 2 or more sources) and make the purchase that way.

Could get rid of the annual fees on the Amex card, but then again I forgot about reward points that I use fairly often.

I guess this is OT, but I don't understand your rationale at all.  You don't believe in credit, but you use a charge card...and pay a fee for it at that.  What sense does that make?  Since you already have the Amex card, why not just do the 3K on that?  Then pay it off like you normally would.  You'd apparently get the rewards from that.  How is that any different?  

I agree, saying you don't believe in a CC but using a charge card is pretty ludicrous.  Especially for someone who apparently understands how to manage money (as I will assume you do).
Only difference between an AmEx Charge Card and a Credit Card is that the Charge card has not *preset* spending limit (doesn't mean unlimited).
Both will charge you fees if you don't pay it off at the end of the month (both penalties and interest charges).  Yes, the grace periods and rates work out differently, but the net effect is the same.

Most savvy people on this forum (and in general) pay of their credit cards/charge cards monthly.  Just because someone uses a credit card doesn't mean they believe in living on credit.
I put everything I can on my CC and pay it off monthly.  The last time I carried a balance was in college.

Credit cards, when used properly give you many benefits (convenience, protection, ability to easily track charges, rewards, etc).
Not that Charge Cards can't give you these as well - but the point is - they are basically equivalent and you can fall into the same pitfalls with both.
Would you charge 20K on your Charge Card and not pay it off ASAP?  No.  So why would you think doing the same on your credit card?

bhanush said:   Also as promotion till Dec 1st you can add up to $250 to your GW account through your CC for free, anything after that, you will be charged 2.9% + $0.30 service fee (adding from the bank is free)
  As far as I can tell, this is only eligible for new users.  If you signed up last year and took advantage of the free loads then you'll still get charged the 2.9 + .30.  I churned about $10k through this before I stopped because of reports of accounts being frozen/closed.

pitflyer said:    I am guessing that like the Paypal card (which has given me some special discounts at Home Depot and other places) that Google Wallet will have special discounts for using their card. So I'll get it in my wallet at home (I won't be carrying it every day, for sure) and see what they come up with.

This is a good point. So I think I'll make a new Google account with my real information to get the card but then never use that account so that it can't be tied to my daily web activity/email usage.

This turn of the conversation got me thinking...
There really should be laws that require all entities required to collect information for the purposes of complying with federal regulations (such as collecting SSN or bank account info in this case), that that information is to be used *solely* for purposes of meeting federal regulations and must be excluded from any other data usage by the organization unless specifically opted in by the customer.

Now how do we get that rolling?

My only wish is for an alternative payment method than paypal when using eBay. I know that will probably will never happen since the two are owned by eBay. Having GW will open up more payment options.

Interesting point with the Google Play card is that it doesn't work for the Google Chromecast. I used this hot deal $50 Google Play Credit for Note 3 but i wasn't able to apply the google wallet funds money to the purchase of the Chromecast from the Google Play store. Given this quirk, I'm curious to know what other restrictions are applied to google wallet.

bhanush said:   for verification they ask your last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, birth date.

Also as promotion till Dec 1st you can add up to $250 to your GW account through your CC for free, anything after that, you will be charged 2.9% + $0.30 service fee (adding from the bank is free)

Ordered it hoping Google comes up with some Wallet deals soon

Is it Dec 1st or Dec 31st? Ordered my card today, said it will be here in 10 days.

kvs25 said:   
bhanush said:   for verification they ask your last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, birth date.

Also as promotion till Dec 1st you can add up to $250 to your GW account through your CC for free, anything after that, you will be charged 2.9% + $0.30 service fee (adding from the bank is free)

Ordered it hoping Google comes up with some Wallet deals soon

Is it Dec 1st or Dec 31st? Ordered my card today, said it will be here in 10 days.

Says Dec 1st on their website, I suppose you can transfer money to google wallet without receiving your physical card, have not tried it yet.

pitflyer said:   I got it, because I believe Google already knows everything about me, and I have to be ok with it. I am guessing that like the Paypal card (which has given me some special discounts at Home Depot and other places) that Google Wallet will have special discounts for using their card. So I'll get it in my wallet at home (I won't be carrying it every day, for sure) and see what they come up with.

The only decision I have is if I should go ahead and fund my Google Wallet with money from my CC now, before they charge fees, or just wait till later when there may be fees. It's kind of annoying the way they have it setup -- I have a Google Play balance, a credit card on my wallet, and the google wallet balance. I use Google Play All Access for $8/month, but that will ONLY charge to the credit card, not to my wallet or the Play balance. It should all be one bucket.

If they do this it opens a mega churn.  CC-> in store Google Play cards-> Google Wallet balance-> ACH bank transfer.  They'd have to police it carefully.

went ahead and ordered....hopefully they will announce some offers in the future...something on the lines of bonus for bringing one's direct deposit (salaries) etc....

Yes please

gamer83 said:   pitflyer said:   I got it, because I believe Google already knows everything about me, and I have to be ok with it. I am guessing that like the Paypal card (which has given me some special discounts at Home Depot and other places) that Google Wallet will have special discounts for using their card. So I'll get it in my wallet at home (I won't be carrying it every day, for sure) and see what they come up with.

If they do this it opens a mega churn.  CC-> in store Google Play cards-> Google Wallet balance-> ACH bank transfer.  They'd have to police it carefully.

I would only give Google my identity and spending habits in exchange of some real benefits. Since the benefits are not clear, and a coupon for Home Depot or whatnot is not enough incentive for me, I'm keeping this in the queue for the time being.

BenH said:   This turn of the conversation got me thinking...
There really should be laws that require all entities required to collect information for the purposes of complying with federal regulations (such as collecting SSN or bank account info in this case), that that information is to be used *solely* for purposes of meeting federal regulations and must be excluded from any other data usage by the organization unless specifically opted in by the customer.

Now how do we get that rolling?

We the people https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/ ?

peste386 said:   Am I the only one who doesn't see the personal benefit to giving Google the last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, and birth date? They are giving you a useless card in return for them having your verified identity.

I'm pretty sure I've told them everything about my identity at some point. My personal advice, next time I move, don't share it with the entire world and get a private mailbox.

If you want to start hiding yourself, there are lots of tips in this popular FWF post -- http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/647601/ 

protrek said:   
peste386 said:   Am I the only one who doesn't see the personal benefit to giving Google the last 4 digits of your SSN, name, address, and birth date? They are giving you a useless card in return for them having your verified identity.

Don't they already know these?

Of course they do, and if they don't they just 'Google' for it.

I think the COIN idea is better than the google wallet....for now.

BenH said:   
Infinion said:   

I agree, saying you don't believe in a CC but using a charge card is pretty ludicrous.  Especially for someone who apparently understands how to manage money (as I will assume you do).
Only difference between an AmEx Charge Card and a Credit Card is that the Charge card has not *preset* spending limit (doesn't mean unlimited).
Both will charge you fees if you don't pay it off at the end of the month (both penalties and interest charges).  Yes, the grace periods and rates work out differently, but the net effect is the same.

Most savvy people on this forum (and in general) pay of their credit cards/charge cards monthly.  Just because someone uses a credit card doesn't mean they believe in living on credit.
I put everything I can on my CC and pay it off monthly.  The last time I carried a balance was in college.

Credit cards, when used properly give you many benefits (convenience, protection, ability to easily track charges, rewards, etc).
Not that Charge Cards can't give you these as well - but the point is - they are basically equivalent and you can fall into the same pitfalls with both.
Would you charge 20K on your Charge Card and not pay it off ASAP?  No.  So why would you think doing the same on your credit card?

I keep the charge card around so I don't get into debt. I get points on almost everything I use it for. I get that I should probably move it all to no fee CC's, but I use the charge card like cash. 

If somehow you think that your bolded part of my response in any way takes away from the point I was trying to make your comprehension skills are apparently as strange as your spending habits. What you do with a "charge card" is no different than what masses of people do with "credit."

Just because you use a credit card for its conveniences and/or to earn rewards does *not* mean you are "living on credit."

If you can afford all that you charge, and pay it back in time not to accumulate interest charges, then there are pretty much only benefits to using cards.

Has anybody been successful loading Paypal debit master card onto their Google Wallet?

I meant paypal reloadable debit master card onto Google wallet or Bluebird?

oradbatic said:   I meant paypal reloadable debit master card onto Google wallet or Bluebird?
  Yes, I drained both my $150 paypal debits onto Google Wallet.

There was a problem authorizing your card. Contact your bank if this problem continues.

This is the error I get when I try to link Paypal card

Got my GW card a couple of weeks ago.

Loaded it with credit card a couple of times, no fees.

Great maybe for CashBack on some cards? Not sure if it shows up as cash advance yet, my credit card doesn't have Cash Back.

You can also use GW card to get CashBack at a retailer, if you buy something of course.

I am writing because I ordered a card about a month ago and know I cant find it so I really need

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014