• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Chromecast
Disclaimer
Link to Chromecast :
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/chromecast/?null     

The discounts for most organizations are at 25%.  

25% Discount program
Price before Discount = $34.99
Discount = 20% = $8.75
Price after Discount = $26.24

How to get Verizon Employee or school discount:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/employee-discount-ema...     

From the above link, enter your work email or school email (.edu). If they have a partnership with Verizon, you will get an email with a link to register. 
Proceed as per the email. 

Side note: You can get discounts at 25% for other accessories. You get 20% discount for monthly subscriptions. 

*** Some employee discount programs may not qualify - YMMV. 

Update:
Deal Discount changed to 35% last night. Currently deal is not showing up. Possibly deal is dead now. Please post reply if it works. 

Verizon Wireless
See Verizon Wireless coupons that earn Up to $75.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

chromecast
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
35% Discount program for Verizon employee is active.
Discount = 35% = $12.25
Final price aft... (more)

w50023 (Jan. 12, 2014 @ 9:37a) |

I bought the Chromecast when it first came out. I am not impress with it and still favor streaming content via my Roku a... (more)

icantiwont (Jan. 12, 2014 @ 9:53a) |

i have 2, both plug into the USB ports on my TV's for power as they are not the newest HDMI.

when you 'cast' Netflix, or ... (more)

cbkcc100 (Jan. 12, 2014 @ 10:04a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How is the performance if I stream video (not youtube) using chrome? I watch videos on a site that uses flash. Hope the quality is at par with the quality we can get from youtube.

Sometimes my wifes laptop get laggy (2008 macbook) but my desktop (core i7) works nearly perfect.  It stream abilities are dependent on the hosts resources.

OrionTHX said:   Sometimes my wifes laptop get laggy (2008 macbook) but my desktop (core i7) works nearly perfect.  It stream abilities are dependent on the hosts resources.
  Thanks. Just to confirm, if I use youtube or other supported apps, it does not depend on the host computer right? I wish Amazon supported chromecast. 

Awesome find... Green for you OP! Bonus that it could be billed to my account and I could order it while taking care of "other business."

ussvoyager04 said:   How is the performance if I stream video (not youtube) using chrome? I watch videos on a site that uses flash. Hope the quality is at par with the quality we can get from youtube.
  I did not have good experience with a number of sites. Its either too laggy /  The best  experience is with youtube and Netflix ofcourse but other than that, I gave up chromecasting other sites., unless there are some improvements

Thanks in for one

If you are using Netflix or YouTube or Google Play or any "native supported" app, then it does not use your laptop at all. All your laptop does essentially is send a signal to Chromecast saying "play this URL" and Chromecast plays it. When you use the Chrome tab streaming, what it does is tell the Chomecast "Play this URL" and it gives the Chromecast a link to your own laptop. Then your laptop has to encode the video to send to the Chromecast. Your bottleneck here is thus usually CPU speed and not Network speed. Some point of reference I have is my wifes 2011 Core i5 Macbook Air can stream 720p at high quality to the Chromecast and it looks pretty good... not perfect, but it's fine watching Hulu full screen using this. My Core i7 laptop can do a better job at 1080p and looks near perfect.

Another cool feature about the Chrome tab streaming is it is pretty intelligent with the full screen making multi-tasking on the laptop possible. That is, if you full screen the flash video, you can then ALT+Tab to a different window on your laptop and keep working, and the Chromecast keeps playing on the TV fine..since you are casting THE TAB and not your whole desktop. You can even open a new Chome tab and browse the web while the other tab that you have in the background is casting to the TV.

perfect now gooogle can watch what you watch

Does this still come with 3 months of Netflix?

cgshopper said:   Does this still come with 3 months of Netflix?

I don't think so. Don't see it on Bestbuy too. 

The deal with the chromecast is that it does a really good job feeding video from web sites to your television if you have a good wireless network. When you 'tab-cast' from a PC, things get complicated. The computer pulls he media from the source, transcodes the media, and streams it to the chromecast. If your PC is not capable of transcoding, then you will get choppy video at the tv. If you are pulling the stream via a wireless connection then streaming from the PC to the chromecast, the quality of your network will come into play.

That's why the reviews are so mixed. It's been great for me, but my PC is very good and both pc and router have gigabit ethernet. the router is a new ac router as well.

Still have $10 coupon from BB CEO will burn that on black friday for this Chromecast $29.99-$10=19.99+tax..

NOTE : I thought about pulling trigger but after recent reviews, they had an update where it no longer allows you to play your own videos... only youtube and Netflix now.... keep your crap then I wont buy

camar0 said:   NOTE : I thought about pulling trigger but after recent reviews, they had an update where it no longer allows you to play your own videos... only youtube and Netflix now.... keep your crap then I wont buy
  Not entirely true.

ussvoyager04 said:   How is the performance if I stream video (not youtube) using chrome? I watch videos on a site that uses flash. Hope the quality is at par with the quality we can get from youtube.
  On my old P4 3ghz desktop with 2 GB RAM it was very laggy & would time out sometimes.  On my i3 ultrabook with 6GB RAM it streams like a champ!

camar0 said:   NOTE : I thought about pulling trigger but after recent reviews, they had an update where it no longer allows you to play your own videos... only youtube and Netflix now.... keep your crap then I wont buy
  If you want to play your own videos you can play them through chrome. If it plays in chrome it plays on your TV too. Just make sure you have good PC/laptop and router setup.

I'm in for one, I already have an employee discount so I just logged in and it was 25% off.

Entered work email, the wait begins.

35% off for me

no 3 free months of Netflix? I guess the 3 months is worth roughly $9 or $3/mo.

Thanks OP... Great find.

pietromoon said:   perfect now gooogle can watch what you watch
  You think it's private without the chromecast?    

Any one can say how long would it take for the email confirmation?

pietromoon said:   perfect now gooogle can watch what you watch

I have some bad news for you pietromoon, everyone already knows what you watch.  If this is a problem, consider switching to an antenna and broadcast television.

wizwor said:   The deal with the chromecast is that it does a really good job feeding video from web sites to your television if you have a good wireless network. When you 'tab-cast' from a PC, things get complicated. The computer pulls he media from the source, transcodes the media, and streams it to the chromecast. If your PC is not capable of transcoding, then you will get choppy video at the tv. If you are pulling the stream via a wireless connection then streaming from the PC to the chromecast, the quality of your network will come into play.

That's why the reviews are so mixed. It's been great for me, but my PC is very good and both pc and router have gigabit ethernet. the router is a new ac router as well.

Someone PM'd me looking for a 35% off code.  There is none.  I just logged into my Verizon account.  That 35% discount is my company's employee discount.  

Is anyone else with the discount program attached to their account not seeing the discount pop up for this?  Any other accessory I try gives me the 25%, but the Chromecast is giving me nothing.

It isn't showing up for me either.

Thanks OP.

Email says "Up to 25% off of accessories."

But seems like ChromeCast isn't one of those accessories in our case. No discount code showing.

phils725 said:   Is anyone else with the discount program attached to their account not seeing the discount pop up for this?  Any other accessory I try gives me the 25%, but the Chromecast is giving me nothing.

It looks like the discount is not showing up now. Someone told me that they got 35% discount yesterday night. Seems strange to me. Changed to YMMV. 

It came up 25% for me. But I was not able to place the order until I logged off and logged in as guest.

I'm a Verizon employee and I normally receive a 25% discount on accessories and it didn't show for me

35% Discount program for Verizon employee is active.
Discount = 35% = $12.25
Final price after Discount = $22.74 + Tax (for NJ residents $1.59) = $24.33

I bought the Chromecast when it first came out. I am not impress with it and still favor streaming content via my Roku and app enabled DVD player. Below is my review from August 2013 and my opinions of it has not changed. I think it has potential, but Google is for some reason holding back on opening the floodgates for developers.

1. You need to be relatively close to your wireless router.
2. You have to use Chrome web browser. At this time, I have not been able to find the plugin for Firefox. I don't believe there is one.
3. There is a few seconds lag between content on your computer and your tv.
4. It was a little glitchy streaming content even with Chrome.
5. Since there is a plugin for Netflix, it seems to stream Netflix content just fine. Watching Burn Notice right now. I wouldn't ditch the Roku or Apple TV just yet. I have also been able to "cast" from my android phone to tv, but what's the point? I can do that from my laptop without draining the battery on my phone.
6. Keep in mind that only a very limited amount of things can be "casted" at this time. See here: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3006709
7. This thing is USB powered, so you will need an USB port on your tv. Otherwise, it comes with a plug for you to plug into your AC outlet. In all my searches I have not seen a picture of the cord going from the device to an USB port/AC outlet. It obviously looks cleaner just plugged into the HDMI port w/o the cord.
8. The physical width of the device will block 2 HDMI ports. To get around this it also comes with a 4 to 5 inch HDMI "extension cord" (for a lack of a better term) that allows to push it off to the side. They claim the extension cord will also help boost signal from your wireless router. I have not installed it. I simply placed a router in the room where I have this installed.
9. At one point they were offering a 3 month promotional code to Netflix. Google store and Amazon are no longer offering this promotion. Best Buy still has it on its website the promotion, but it is currently sold out.
10. My conclusion is that if you have a streaming device already, this will not replace it. I still prefer using my Roku for streaming Netflix and other contents. I think they hit the right price point, because it's only $35. If you are considering purchasing this I would wait until they support more contents/apps/plug-ins and browsers. I'm not particularly thrilled that I have to use Chrome. My preferred browser is Firefox.

i have 2, both plug into the USB ports on my TV's for power as they are not the newest HDMI.

when you 'cast' Netflix, or any supported apps, it streams directly to your Chromecast and not 'through' your phone or laptop.  however, using the phone or laptop to control the playback will use battery life.

it is larger and will block ports, yes it should be near your wireless signal.  i believe all of the Netflix codes had to be used by 12/31/13 anyway.  yes, you have to use Chrome, i assume that unless a third party plugin comes out, they will not allow FF.

now that it allows Plex, it is a huge boost, however you need to be a Plex subscriber at this time to use it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014