• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
In case you've been looking as I have for a reasonable deal on a type cover 2 keyboard for your newly acquired $199 Surface RT...
The cost of the type cover 2 at Microsoft is $129.99. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Type-Cover-2...
This cover is different from the touch covers currently bundled at WalMart and Staples for the $250 price point as its the newest version with tactile and backlit keys.
If you bundle using the surface accessories current deal at Microsoft you get the Type cover 2 ($109), $25 Microsoft GC ($10) and a surface sleeve (29.99) for total of ~$149. Saving you $55.00. Free shipping. Not too bad if you ask me. See below.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Acce...  
Do me one better if you can

If you choose to go with the cover regularly bundled (touch cover) then you're looking at a total cost of $119 with the other cover coming in at $79.01.

Best Buy
See Best Buy promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Microsoft - Touch Cover 2 - Black
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Great deal,thanks op

carvalho (Dec. 15, 2013 @ 9:25p) |

That wedge cover on Amazon sucks. The whole point of the popular ones are that they serve as a cover as well. I ended ... (more)

Mulox (Dec. 15, 2013 @ 9:35p) |

How has your experience been with the bluetooth keyboard?  I've read mixed reviews on battery draining and disconnects p... (more)

RaiderNation (Dec. 18, 2013 @ 12:32p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Are you sure Touch and Type cover 2 keyboards sold for Surface 2 are compatible with the Gen 1 Surface?

EDIT: I wrote this when I thought OP was talking about the touch cover. Either it's been edited, or I just completely misread it.

Having bought a Surface bundled with the touch cover, I'd say spend the money on a type cover. I'm not sure of the differences between the newer and the old, but the touch cover is frustrating to use. I think you'd be better off with an older type cover as opposed to a newer touch cover. My type cover (older model) just came today and it's so much easier to use.

IMHO.

@cnIsfg

Here's the type cover2 bundled with the 1st gen by Microsoft OOS: http://holiday.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/html/pbPage.... 

According to this review the type cover 2 is compatible across all surface models: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-type-cover-2-revi... 

You had me (laughing) at "if you bought a Surface RT...".  What...they were out of Blackberry Playbooks?

Thanks OP. I got the Type cover (1) on eBay for $89 but this is interesting.

PippiLongStockings said:   @cnIsfg

Here's the type cover2 bundled with the 1st gen by Microsoft OOS: http://holiday.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/html/pbPage....  

According to this review the type cover 2 is compatible across all surface models: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-type-cover-2-revi...  

OK thanks I was not sure. I know there were some issues using the 1st gen type cover on the Surface 2..

Can anyone confirm is the Type Cover 1st edition is mechanical? Type 2 has  Actiavtion: Moving (mechanical) keys.

cyfan said:   You had me (laughing) at "if you bought a Surface RT...".  What...they were out of Blackberry Playbooks?
  Ignorance is Bliss...

Hot if you really need that kind of cover. I just picked up a bluetooth keyboard on clearance for $10 for the rare occasion i need a keyboard with my RT. Now instead of spending $10 i feel like i saved $140.

milkandcookies said:   Can anyone confirm is the Type Cover 1st edition is mechanical? Type 2 has  Actiavtion: Moving (mechanical) keys.
  Type cover has mechanical keys. Touch Cover does not and is pressure based.
I have the first gen type cover and it makes the surface pro a very nice "almost laptop"

sdfsadf

Sounds like a great deal. I would love a Surface and hope they have a good bundle price on Cyber Monday that includes a keyboard.

cyfan said:   You had me (laughing) at "if you bought a Surface RT...".  What...they were out of Blackberry Playbooks?
  If you are a person who downloads and plays free games then RT is not for you.

I have a iMac Bluetooth keyboard and touch mouse. Can anyone confirm that I can use these with this?

Bundle does not have charcoal cover,
CORRECTION:  - if you click more products you get charcoal too

I have several BT keyboards and hope one of them would work.

I have a bluetooth keyboard, and it is nice, but it does nothing to protect my device. Also, it drains the battery on the Surface faster.

Thanks OP, this is exactly what I need... type cover (mechanical keys) with backlighting. Just wish I could get the type cover by itself for under $100 since I already have a sleeve.

There is a Staples coupon for $20 off $100. Is $129.99 the lowest price on the type cover with backlit? Has anyone found it cheaper (not eBay)? I would like for Staples to pricematch and use the $20 off $100 for a better price.

Or HP TouchPads

On a serious note, RT is fine for what it is. Just understand what you're buying in to. I think the mass confusion on RT versus the full experience has doomed the "RT" moniker, hence why MS removed it on the new line.

Great deal,thanks op

That wedge cover on Amazon sucks. The whole point of the popular ones are that they serve as a cover as well. I ended up buying a brand new type cover with backlit keyboard for $73 shipped on eBay and I absolutely love it.

How has your experience been with the bluetooth keyboard?  I've read mixed reviews on battery draining and disconnects paring over and over. Those issues probably have more to do with the keyboard quality than anything with the surface device i'd think.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014