http://www.amazon.com/Allola-Womens-Cashmere-Scottish-Plaid/dp/B00GS8GYLC/ 

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

scarf
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I wanted the cashmere!
Disclaimer
When I was a little girl in Panama, a rich American came to our town and he was wearing the softest most beautiful sweater. I said to him, "what do you call this most beautiful fabric?", and he said "they call it cashmere". I repeated the words "cashmere, cashmere". I asked if I could have it, and he said "No. Get away from me." Then he started walk away. But I grabbed onto his leg screaming for him to give me the sweater and he dragged me through the street. And then he kicked at me with the other foot and threw some change at me. Oh, but I didn't want the change Georgie. I wanted the cashmere.

I was hoping this was a man's scarf. What differentiates a man's scarf from a woman's scarf, anyway? I've got a thing for cashmere. I never pass up a good deal on cashmere. I'll get a couple or more of these for women's gifts, but...

What do you think, Fatwallet-ers...can this be worn by men? Is the color/pattern too girly? Would I get funny looks walking down the street?

Is that a red dot?

Don't forget 6% FW Cash Back!

Sounds like a good deal on the surface, but actually might not be a good product.

There are lots of cheap Chinese cashmere scarves on the market. I ordered one off eBay a few years ago, was warm enough but nowhere near the softness of a high-quality cashmere scarf.

Also, note that the scarf isn't sold by Amazon, it's sold by these guys, who've only just registered on Amaon: http://www.allola.com/ (And a direct link to this scarf: http://www.allcashmere.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPat...

Their website doesn't list contact info, company information, or where the products are made.

They also have the trademark "high retail price for unbranded items, with apparently steep discounts" that I've seen on similar merchandise.

I've got a number of scarves in wool, alpaca, cashmere... I'd recommend you get a wool one rather than the "cashmere" listed in this deal.

Do you dare to buy one from Amazon?  If it is not 100% pure cashmere, you can easily return it to Amazon and file complaint to Amazon.

gtl said:   Do you dare to buy one from Amazon?  If it is not 100% pure cashmere, you can easily return it to Amazon and file complaint to Amazon.
  Why bother if there are warning signs it won't be a good product?

By the way, do you know the differences between wool and cashmere?

cga said:   I was hoping this was a man's scarf. What differentiates a man's scarf from a woman's scarf, anyway? I've got a thing for cashmere. I never pass up a good deal on cashmere. I'll get a couple or more of these for women's gifts, but...

What do you think, Fatwallet-ers...can this be worn by men? Is the color/pattern too girly? Would I get funny looks walking down the street?

I would just skip it.  Not only is the quality questionable as actionjbone said, but the pattern is too close to the Burberry check pattern, so it looks like you're trying to pretend you spent $300.  I saw some decent looking cashmere scarves at Costco today for about the same price and you get to feel the thickness and softness before you decide to buy.

Thanks for the advice and information, jcantanixon. I guess I'll skip it, as you suggest. Unfortunately, there's no Costco near me, so I can't check out their scarves. Guess I'll stick to cashmere sweaters.

If you guys are looking for a cashmere scarf, stalk Sierra Trading Post for Johnstons of Elgin scarves. There's a huge FW thread for further discounts.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/johnstons-of-elgin-cashmere-scarf-for-men-and-women~p~86213/

satchelsofgold said:   If you guys are looking for a cashmere scarf, stalk Sierra Trading Post for Johnstons of Elgin scarves. There's a huge FW thread for further discounts.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/johnstons-of-elgin-cashmere-sca...

Thanks for the Sierra Trading Post suggestion. I bought one of their J of E scarves and padded the order a few dollars so I could use the 30% coupon. The $10 shipping charge is a bit hard to swallow, but I couldn't resist the scarf.

gtl said:   By the way, do you know the differences between wool and cashmere?
  'course I do - well enough to want good wool over bad cashmere.

The quality of the goat is very important. And I'm guessing that the knockoff scarves are either shed from lesser-quality-haired breeds of goats, or include the coarser topcoat not permitted in American cashmere. Like I said, I used to own one - was still warm, just not as nice as even my good wool scarves.

actionjbone said:   
gtl said:   By the way, do you know the differences between wool and cashmere?
  'course I do - well enough to want good wool over bad cashmere.

The quality of the goat is very important. And I'm guessing that the knockoff scarves are either shed from lesser-quality-haired breeds of goats, or include the coarser topcoat not permitted in American cashmere. Like I said, I used to own one - was still warm, just not as nice as even my good wool scarves.

I bought one cashmere scarf from allola before for my mom.  The quality is very good. My mom likes it very much.  She said it is much better than the costco one, even better than the Macy's one.

By the way, the best cashmere comes from the Inner Mongolia, China.

I bought their ring shawl before as a gift to my sister, who is a "cashmere-savvy" lady living in New York, she is quite satisfied with the cashmere. I am glad to see they are on Amazon now, I am eyeing on the 2-ply shawl, this is the style you cannot find elsewher! Glad I can take advantage of free shipping this time...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014