• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Staples has the Brother HL-5470DW on sale for $146.99, they are also offering a $50 trade allowance if you bring in a laser printer, so 146.99- 50= $96.99.  It's duplex, holds a full ream of paper, rated @ 40 ppm, I brought in my 12 yr old dead laser and got the deal.
Looks to be at least $50 less than anywhere else.

Link:  http://www.staples.com/Brother-HL-5470dw-Laser-Printer/product_3...

Staples
See Staples discounts that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Brother Laser HL-5470
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Monochrome? Color? Maybe it's right there, but I can't see it on the product page anywhere. Prints 40 ppm, so sounds monochrome....

Nevermind. Spotted it: "It features fast monochrome printing at up to 40ppm and automatic duplex printing for producing professional two-sided documents."

"The Brother HL-5470dw laser printer provides small- to medium-sized businesses with everything they need to meet their black-and-white printing needs."

It is a monochrome printer. And it is a very good printer.
Has a USB port for direct connection to your PC as well as a RJ-45 for a network connection to share with everyone on your network.
Also has WIFI so you can use it wirelessly from PCs, laptops, or tablets.
It is fast at 40ppm and does duplexing (two sided printing) automatically (you do not have to manually turn the page over and reinsert it).
Another nice thing about Brother vs other brands (looking at you HP) is that the Toner and Drum are separate parts.
This means that every 3,000 pages you can replace the Toner very inexpensively, and when it is time to replace the Drum after 30,000 pages you may just choose to just buy an entirely new printer for less than the cost of the drum (or if you are mechanically inclined you can buy the drum component from eBay and install it inside the drum cartridge using  videos found on YoutTube for instruction, but you millage may vary..
HP cartridges include the drum making each replacement much more costly.
This deal is good but periodically Newegg does have it for about $69 (most recently for black Friday, but also about six to eight weeks before that).

Excellent printer. This is my workhorse printer for printing closings (got optional second tray). Best of all this still uses generic replacement toner and drums. Generic drums are cheap enough that I never bothered to try to roll my own replacements.

Roll your own... lol.
The Brother DR-720 Drum could be had for about $110, clones for about $45, or the part to install inside of your existing drum can be had from ePay for only about $13.
Instructions on how to install the part in the drum is available on youtube.

Great workhorse printer, even though the optional second tray costs more than the printer on a deal.

In researching this printer the only possible issue I read about is that on some newer homes with newer type circuit breakers some people had problems dropping the breaker when it turned on/woke up.  Several said they fixed the problem with new brother firmware, and one said he had to replace his circuit breaker with an older type breaker.   My home was built in 2001 and I have the printer in a room fed by a 15 amp breaker feeding it and  2 PCs and thus far I have seen absolutely no problems with it, lights don't dim nothing.
Have not had it long but really liken this printer so far.

yeah refurb drums / replacing drums though usually involve EXTREMELY cheap parts (see Amazon reviews for Brother non-genuine drums dr-520, dr-620, current version dr-720). Most of which causes poor print quality or very short life span (usually right outside the return period of Amazon). If you can deal with that, then do it - but as a business owner with 3 generations of brothers - I try to just cheap out on the toner since that needs replacement so often compared to the drum. I wish someone would create quality nongenuine parts are a cheap price  

critten: I've never had problems with third party drums, but had a bad streak of lousy third party toner. I've switched to Linkyo brand-a little more expensive than the cheapest, but top quality.

tommy22: I've seen user reviews that claimed electrical problems. I'm using my printer (with a bunch of other equipment) in a Revolutionary War era building with a somewhat dodgy electrical system and never had a bit of problem-no lights dimming, circuits/fuses popping, etc. I've also used it in a ten year old home with no issues.

DoctorMorbius: You're right about the optional second tray-very expensive, plus it's flimsy-especially compared to the second tray on my ancient Brother MFC-8840D (300,000+ pages and still going strong).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014