STAPLES USPS Shipping
Disclaimer
see scan! GREAT NEWS!!

Member Summary

Mail Time
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

wow wonder if it will be spending counted toward status levels too.  Even if not awesome news, probably saves me $30 in gas a year and countless frustrations with the local post office.

Unless you are shipping Parcel/Standard Post, Cheaper to Buy online.

If they do what OD did when they launched USPS that would be good. But not great.
Not to mention how inconvenient it is to wait for someone to get around to do it.

Online for the win!

anyplace said:   Unless you are shipping Parcel/Standard Post, Cheaper to Buy online.

If they do what OD did when they launched USPS that would be good. But not great.
Not to mention how inconvenient it is to wait for someone to get around to do it.

Online for the win!

not when you factor in possible coupon use and 5% rewards back, plus some people get 5x points with Chase Ink at Staples.

anyplace for the LOSE!

Staples B&Ms in my area have been doing this for a couple of months now. They can only do Priority and Express mailings and the rates are standard USPS counter rates. They have a very limited selection of Priority Mail and Express mail box envelop selection.

cnIsfg said:   Staples B&Ms in my area have been doing this for a couple of months now. They can only do Priority and Express mailings and the rates are standard USPS counter rates. They have a very limited selection of Priority Mail and Express mail box envelop selection.

I'm guessing you'll see an improvement in that, if they want to be competitive and attract real business as they roll this out, they'll need to offer pretty close to what you can find at the post office.

MISTERCHEAP said:   
anyplace said:   Unless you are shipping Parcel/Standard Post, Cheaper to Buy online.

Online for the win!

not when you factor in possible coupon use and 5% rewards back, plus some people get 5x points with Chase Ink at Staples.

anyplace for the LOSE!

Since when does Stapes Shipping center purchases earn Rewards? I know copy and print purchases have earned as much has 20% under the old Rewards program  but Staples Ship center has always been exempt as far as I am aware? Also don't forget just like with UPS Staples is not liable if someone steals your packages before they are scanned by the pickup agent as Staples does not scan any packages or assume any liability. This has been an issue with some stores especially around the  holidays when they frequently have an overflow that doe not fit behind the counter.

MISTERCHEAP said:   
cnIsfg said:   Staples B&Ms in my area have been doing this for a couple of months now. They can only do Priority and Express mailings and the rates are standard USPS counter rates. They have a very limited selection of Priority Mail and Express mail box envelop selection.

I'm guessing you'll see an improvement in that, if they want to be competitive and attract real business as they roll this out, they'll need to offer pretty close to what you can find at the post office.

You can always order as much Priority Mail and Express supplies as you want from USPS online, delivered free to your house anyway.  Then just take what you have to Staples.

MISTERCHEAP said:   

Online for the win!

anyplace for the LOSE!

OD had regularly issued USPS/UPS coupons when they launched USPS services.
Since then ALL copy center coupons EXCLUDE Shipping services.  

Wasting Gas and time in a Staples to pay FULL RETAIL

5lb package FL to CA
Express
Post Office Price $56.50
Online Price $39.87

Priority
Post Office Price $21.20
Online Price $18.70

PLUS $1-$2+ for gas

Free Pickup
WIN yet you still lose.

anyplace said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

Online for the win!

anyplace for the LOSE!

5lb package FL to CA
Express
Post Office Price $56.50
Online Price $39.87

Priority
Post Office Price $21.20
Online Price $18.70

PLUS $1-$2+ for gas

Free Pickup
WIN yet you still lose.

and, you're totally forgetting the 20% off Staples GC's you can buy every month or two via cashstar or GC Mall ($50 for $40) 20% off from the get go. Yeah, you keep shipping from your computer, let me know how that works out for you financially!! BWHAHAHAHAHA

cnIsfg said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

Online for the win!

anyplace for the LOSE!

Since when does Stapes Shipping center purchases earn Rewards? I know copy and print purchases have earned as much has 20% under the old Rewards program  but Staples Ship center has always been exempt as far as I am aware? Also don't forget just like with UPS Staples is not liable if someone steals your packages before they are scanned by the pickup agent as Staples does not scan any packages or assume any liability. This has been an issue with some stores especially around the  holidays when they frequently have an overflow that doe not fit behind the counter.

look it up, pretty sure it does.

Pretty dumb to start it 10 days before Christmas IMO. Most people will not realize it's an option until after the holiday.

AFAIK postage is typically excluded from any type of deals like milk and cigarettes pretty much everywhere... I'd use the rewards on other things and purchase online and for first class packages via PayPal.

rsuaver said:   AFAIK postage is typically excluded from any type of deals like milk and cigarettes pretty much everywhere... I'd use the rewards on other things and purchase online and for first class packages via PayPal.

sorry, but this is not postage (as in stamps), it's shipping charges.  If they are paying you rewards on them, you'll be able to spend rewards on it. That how their program works. If you choose not to, that's your call, but you're not prohibited from doing so.

I think when you add up all the ways you can save here, plus if you factor you're probably going to a Staples B&M more often than your local Post Office, it starts looking pretty attractive. I know I'll be using this service there for certain!

MISTERCHEAP said:   
anyplace said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

Online for the win!

anyplace for the LOSE!

5lb package FL to CA
Express
Post Office Price $56.50
Online Price $39.87

Priority
Post Office Price $21.20
Online Price $18.70

PLUS $1-$2+ for gas

Free Pickup
WIN yet you still lose Dopey.

and mr noplace, you're totally forgetting the 20% off Staples GC's you can buy every month or two via cashstar or GC Mall ($50 for $40) 20% off from the get go. Yeah, you keep shipping from your computer, let me know how that works out for you financially!! BWHAHAHAHAHA

I do.
At the rate of  $2,300-$2,800 Monthly

My savings per shipment are even a few % less than what I posted previously for USPS(i used discount example available to everyone)
and Significantly Less for Ground via FedEx

Saving money at the click of a button at MY convenience  4am, 8am 7pm anytime I want. 

MISTERCHEAP said:   
cnIsfg said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

Online for the win!

anyplace for the LOSE!

look it up, pretty sure it does.

From the Staples Rewards Site:

From technology and business services to cleaning supplies and coffee, earn 5% back in rewards on everything in store and online. Not valid on postage, gift/phone cards and savings passes

You notice it does not state just stamps. The few times I have used the Staples shipping center in the past year I did not earn any rewards on shipping and I had to pay right there on a separate register.  Also I tried to using a physical Staples GC from and eBay/Gift Card deal back in September they would not take a Staples GC as payment for shipping services. I don't know about Rewards as I have never attempted to use them on shipping services.

Brought a parcel in a few days ago with the UPS 20% off coupon. They accidentally did USPS. I was still able to use the coupon (manager override) and I paid with a giftcard, so, YMMV. Forgot about delivery confirmation and they did not try to upsell, so am now worried my $500 return might get "lost" in the mail. Oh well.

screenshot
Disclaimer
cnIsfg said:   

From technology and business services to cleaning supplies and coffee, earn 5% back in rewards on everything in store and online. Not valid on postage, gift/phone cards and savings passes

You notice it does not state just stamps. The few times I have used the Staples shipping center in the past year I did not earn any rewards on shipping and I had to pay right there on a separate register.  Also I tried to using a physical Staples GC from and eBay/Gift Card deal back in September they would not take a Staples GC as payment for shipping services. I don't know about Rewards as I have never attempted to use them on shipping services.

Everyone's input thus far (including mine) is just speculation.  We simply don't know if shipping services will constitute "postage" or, perhaps "Office on the Go" services (which DO earn Rewards for Premier members).  Or... perhaps Staples hasn't yet figured it out themselves.  And, will USPS services be handled differently than the commercial carriers (UPS/FedEx/DHL).

However (and, again, this is MY speculation), the landing page here-- http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/usps/stores/san_francisco.html has a graphic that is CLEARLY tied to "USPS shipping" claiming I'll get "5% back in Rewards on EVERYTHING except postage stamps... " (their wording, my emphasis).

Maybe we can set aside the pissing match and someone can get a factual position statement from Staples on this.  Just a thought.

labboypro said:   
cnIsfg said:   

Everyone's input thus far (including mine) is just speculation.  We simply don't know if shipping services will constitute "postage" or, perhaps "Office on the Go" services (which DO earn Rewards for Premier members).  Or... perhaps Staples hasn't yet figured it out themselves.  And, will USPS services be handled differently than the commercial carriers (UPS/FedEx/DHL).

However (and, again, this is MY speculation), the landing page here-- http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/usps/stores/san_francisco.html has a graphic that is CLEARLY tied to "USPS shipping" claiming I'll get "5% back in Rewards on EVERYTHING except postage stamps... " (their wording, my emphasis).

Maybe we can set aside the pissing match and someone can get a factual position statement from Staples on this.  Just a thought.

Maybe they will change after the first of the year but as of today it is Not "speculation" when I used it 12 times this year and have yet to earn any rewards on shipping services.

Can we pay with convenience cards? If so, I know where I'll be shipping stuff...

I  received a reply from our dedicated Staples rep asking about Rewards back on USPS shipments. He confirmed all shipping services earn 5% back in rewards as of December 1st so it looks LannyP and others were right here. This is a good deal for low volume shippers who otherwise don't get discounts.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014