• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Lowes.com has the Porter Cable  4-Tool 18-Volt Cordless Combo Kit for $99.00 with free shipping was $159.00.   
Includes circular saw, drill/driver, reciprocating saw, flashlight, double-ended screw driving bit, 6-1/2" circular saw blade, 6" wood cutting blade, 2 nickel cadmium batteries and charger

LINKY:   http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&productId=50078420&cId=detail 

SPECS:
Circular saw has 6-1/2" blade and 50° bevel for greater and more efficient cutting capacity
Reciprocating saw delivers 3,000 SPM for fast cutting
Flashlight has 5-watt bulb providing up to 5 hours of run-time
Batteries recharge in 3 hours
3-year battery warranty
3-year tool warranty

Lowe's
See Lowe's promo codes that earn Up to 2.25% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

porter cable (43.13kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:

NiCad is the deal breaker for me.

Amazon had this until Dec 31, no tax and free shipping after 20$ off. The better deal for Lowes now, is the $159 two drill/impact driver set, with two lithium batteries. The LX and EX alone cost more than the kit by itself. I got it just to get the batteries and impact driver.

It is year 2014, NiCads are outdated before turn of the century, Go Li-on You'll never go back.

GWBush said:   It is year 2014, NiCads are outdated before turn of the century, Go Li-on You'll never go back.
  The same kit in lithium is $239.  For an occasional use home owner it might not be worth more than double the money.  Back in the day before they commonly used Li-on on tools I had ni-cd tools that had tons of power, decent run time and the batteries lasted many years.  Granted these were tools that cost substantially more than these porter cable ones but it is possible with ni-cd.  If cared for ni-cd can work very well (if the included batteries are any good which they may not be).  A couple of hints though.  It is recommended (in general, not by porter cable) to discharge the battery down to 1v every few months.  If you are using your tools very often that takes care of it but make sure you occasionally Sometimes alternate batteries.  I also don,t really trust the charger.  it is 400ma and at that rate, its easier for the charger to miss termination voltage and over charge.  A charger that charges in one hour is actually better for the battery (provides the ideal 1c charge rate and is less likely to miss termination voltage).  The charger doesn't charge to a certain voltage.  It charges till the voltage stops climbing and drops a little due to a change in the chemistry of the battery (happens when its full).  

Porter cable states its ok to leave the battery on the charger forever so they seem to have confidence in it (enough to warranty it for 3 years or 5 years if you bought the Lowes extended warranty for $12).  I'm not so sure I do and may get the better charger eventually.  On a side note it seems Lowes has this now permanently (it says new low price instead of sale anyway)  at this price so perhaps its discontinued.  They also have the same kit and the only difference seems to be it has the better charger for $160.  Its still cheaper to get this kit and buy the better charger separably.  

If the batteries do turn out to be junk there is a factory service center 20 miles from me so I'm good.  You can also rebuild them for $20-30, possibly with better cells than they started with too.  Its a bit cheaper than li-on.  If you are a professional then time is money and the li-on might be worth it but in that case I would get the best tools I could, not these.  My first impression is they are decent for the money but not on par with high end tools (which is expected at that price).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014