• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MT7XGS

4.3 out of 5 stars  (289 customer reviews)

Edward Boyd's agnosticism rested "not ... too much on any positive position ... but rather on a host of negative ones" about Christianity. In an attempt to address these negative issues, his son Greg, a professor of theology, asked his father, a strong-willed, highly intelligent, and stubborn 70-year-old, to enter into a correspondence in which "all of their cards would be laid on the table." Greg would give his father the opportunity to raise all his objections to the veracity of Christianity, and Greg would "answer these objections as well as give positive grounds for holding to the Christian faith."
Three years and more than 30 letters later, Letters from a Skeptic was published and Edward Boyd came to accept Christ. During his journey, he and his son hash through such topics as why the world is so full of suffering; why an all-powerful God needs prayer; how you can believe in someone who rose from the dead; and how another man's death can pardon others.

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Letters from a Skeptic (13.53kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:

This is a fantastic book. Thanks OP!

Editorial Reviews
Greg Boyd longed for his father to know Christ. But as a former atheist turned believer, Greg understood Ed Boyd's reservations. So he offered a unique invitation: His father could write Greg with any questions on Christianity, and he would in turn deliver a thoughtful response.

What began as an intimate correspondence between father and son soon captivated seekers everywhere. Letters from a Skeptic presents a profound defense of the Christian faith. Throughout, listeners will discover a conversation that not only brought Ed Boyd to Christ, but impacted thousands of lives around the world.

Thanks OP.

Amazon doesn't allow the camels to track prices of eBooks. Anyone know what it usually sells for? IOW, not the list price but is it often free?

I bought my mom a kindle fire for christmas to get her into reading with the idea that their are 56K free books on Amazon.

Since getting this for her, she seems to love it, but she says every book she has downloaded for free results in their being a followup book that you have to buy.

Can someone direct me as to whether she is downloading the "right" books, or is this basically what all the free books are? a teaser to the rest of the story?
I dont use a kindle so I don't know how to direct her.

RhizzleBop said:   I bought my mom a kindle fire for christmas to get her into reading with the idea that their are 56K free books on Amazon.

Since getting this for her, she seems to love it, but she says every book she has downloaded for free results in their being a followup book that you have to buy.

Can someone direct me as to whether she is downloading the "right" books, or is this basically what all the free books are? a teaser to the rest of the story?

You don't need an actual Kindle device to buy and read Kindle ebooks. They have free apps for all platforms.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771

Get the right app, download the books and you can see if your mom is downloading the right files.

RhizzleBop said:   I bought my mom a kindle fire for christmas to get her into reading with the idea that their are 56K free books on Amazon.

Many books provide free "previews" which is typically the first couple chapters. This is what you're mom is downloading and ARE different from the 'free ebooks'.

This could be the case.
However, she is telling me they are complete books, but then at the end the story continues.  She mentioned some are series, so their are other books that follows.
Is there an easy way to avoid these?

My mom does not "Do internet".  So I can't get her to "google" best free ebooks or anything.
Is their a good easy way for her to search within kindle to only see the free books?
We literally searched in her kindle "Free kindle books" and their were 56K results I thought these were the free ones.
However, I don't use a Kindle.  I have an Ipad, and I don't read digital books so I cant tell her what to download.

I can possibly install the kindle app on my ipad and use her login just to try and guide or monitor what she's downloading but since I'm not super familiar with all of this, I'm not sure I can.

What I'd like is to be able to direct her to say "Search for Free kindle books" or whatever term on her kindle, and then avoid ones that say "yadayada".  or something that will help.

Thanks!

Hi,
Here's the best way that I've found to discover the Top 100 free e-books for kindle:

It is true that some authors offer the first book in a series as a free book in order to gain a following (perfectly reasonable -and helpful- tactic, IMO).  But I have 'bought' many, many free books that are stand-alone.
Also, if your mom is patient, many authors rotate the free book in the series (Book 1 during one month, Book 2 during another, etc.). In this way, it is possible to collect all books in the series as free books.

Hope this helps.

Nice find. Thank you.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014