• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://creditmonitoring.target.com/#?v=1B18FB011314 

In addition to a complimentary copy of your credit report, you will receive daily credit monitoring, identity theft insurance where available, and have access to personalized assistance from a highly trained Fraud Resolution Agent. This offer applies to all Target guests who shopped in U.S. stores. To register, please go to creditmonitoring.Target.com before April 23, 2014. 

Guests will have until April 23, 2014 to request a code and until April 30, 2014 to register their code with Experian.

What is offered as part of the credit monitoring/ProtectMyID?

The one year of free monitoring membership to ProtectMyID includes:

Credit Report: You will get a free copy of their Experian credit report. If you enroll online, your report will be available online. Online credit reports are available for 30 days.
Daily Credit Monitoring: You will receive alerts for one year that reflect changes to your Experian credit report during your membership term. This includes new inquiries, newly opened accounts, new derogatory information (such as delinquencies or medical collections) and more.
Identity Theft Resolution: If confirmed that you have been the victim of identity theft, you will be assigned a dedicated, U.S.-based Experian Fraud Resolution Agent who will walk you through the fraud resolution process—and remain available to answer questions—from start to finish.
Identity Theft Insurance: If you have been a victim of identity theft relating to this incident, you will immediately be covered by a $1 million insurance policy that can help you cover certain costs, including lost wages, private investigator fees, and unauthorized electronic fund transfers for one year.
ProtectMyID ExtendCARE: Access to personalized assistance from a highly-trained Fraud Resolution Agent will continue even after the initial one year ProtectMyID membership expires.

Credit scores will not be offered to guests who sign up for the free year of credit monitoring. You do not need a credit score to receive the benefits of credit monitoring.

Member Summary

target
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I got it instantly. Totally worth the free credit monitoring. I'm about to contact their resolution department.

PhantomCypher (Apr. 23, 2014 @ 2:39p) |

finally got an alert after 3 days

DoonGuy (Apr. 23, 2014 @ 6:07p) |

Looks like this is still live.  I just requested and received my code.

cuafe (Apr. 25, 2014 @ 7:14a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What happens after the end of one year? If I still have the same credit card number, isn't the chance of fraud the same on day 01 or day 500?

Good find OP.

Bizatch said:   What happens after the end of one year? If I still have the same credit card number, isn't the chance of fraud the same on day 01 or day 500?

Valid question....Target s/b offering free credit monitoring for 10 years from this mess.

Bizatch said:   What happens after the end of one year? If I still have the same credit card number, isn't the chance of fraud the same on day 01 or day 500?
  If your card has been compromised, your bank or credit union should issue you a new one. If they haven't already decided to, you can call and request it at any time.

In addition to a complimentary copy of your credit report, you will receive daily credit monitoring, identity theft insurance where available, and have access to personalized assistance from a highly trained Fraud Resolution Agent. This offer applies to all Target guests who shopped in U.S. stores. To register, please go to creditmonitoring.Target.com before April 23, 2014. 

Guests will have until April 23, 2014 to request a code and until April 30, 2014 to register their code with Experian.

What is offered as part of the credit monitoring/ProtectMyID?

The one year of free monitoring membership to ProtectMyID includes:

Credit Report: You will get a free copy of their Experian credit report. If you enroll online, your report will be available online. Online credit reports are available for 30 days.
Daily Credit Monitoring: You will receive alerts for one year that reflect changes to your Experian credit report during your membership term. This includes new inquiries, newly opened accounts, new derogatory information (such as delinquencies or medical collections) and more.
Identity Theft Resolution: If confirmed that you have been the victim of identity theft, you will be assigned a dedicated, U.S.-based Experian Fraud Resolution Agent who will walk you through the fraud resolution process—and remain available to answer questions—from start to finish.
Identity Theft Insurance: If you have been a victim of identity theft relating to this incident, you will immediately be covered by a $1 million insurance policy that can help you cover certain costs, including lost wages, private investigator fees, and unauthorized electronic fund transfers for one year.
ProtectMyID ExtendCARE: Access to personalized assistance from a highly-trained Fraud Resolution Agent will continue even after the initial one year ProtectMyID membership expires.

Credit scores will not be offered to guests who sign up for the free year of credit monitoring. You do not need a credit score to receive the benefits of credit monitoring.

actionjbone said:   
  If your card has been compromised, your bank or credit union should issue you a new one. If they haven't already decided to, you can call and request it at any time.

How do I know if my card has been compromised until after someone puts a fraudulent charge on it?  What if that person waits until day 400 to put the fraudulent charge on my card?

Thanks for the link

Bizatch said:   
actionjbone said:   

How do I know if my card has been compromised until after someone puts a fraudulent charge on it?  What if that person waits until day 400 to put the fraudulent charge on my card?

I think if you used your card at Target between Thanksgiving and when they made the announcement, consider it compromised and tell your bank.

It's advisable to monitor your cerdit card daily. If you see a fradulent charge, call the Credit Card company immediately and you will not be held responsible for any charges that you point out to them.

dave9095 said:   
Bizatch said:   
actionjbone said:   

I think if you used your card at Target between Thanksgiving and when they made the announcement, consider it compromised and tell your bank.

If this is true, why aren't all credit card issuers automatically sending new credit cards to all card holders that used their card at Target during the effected dates?

MISTERCHEAP said:   

what a bunch of bull@#$%!  that is like saying  "We are not offering you a chance to win a Mercedes.  You do not need a Mercedes to enter the contest to win a bicycle".

Bizatch said:     If this is true, why aren't all credit card issuers automatically sending new credit cards to all card holders that used their card at Target during the effected dates?

Based on our Target purchases during that time and without any prompting, Discover sent us new cards last week, by Priority Mail.

TomPtz said:   It's advisable to monitor your cerdit card daily. If you see a fradulent charge, call the Credit Card company immediately and you will not be held responsible for any charges that you point out to them.
  I have a Capital One card and check my account daily.  A few months ago, there was a pending charge on my card for a ticket on Kenya Air.  When I called the fraud department, they said to wait for the charge to go through.  You would think they would act right away, but they didn't. 

Thanks for the advance information. Just signed up.

Both my Discover and AMEX were compromised around the 10th of December.

It's interesting, however, that they are not giving us more that one credit report that you can see for 30 days.

If they do notify you of unusual activity, you would want to look at your credit report. Also, their system may not pick up all fraudulent charges, so you need to look at the report. Additionally, there is no provision for a free security freeze. The only 100% effective way to keep new credit and inquiries out of your credit file is to place a security freeze on the account.

The funny thing is, the free monitoring really has nothing to do with your credit card number being stolen.
This is mainly a PR/apology from Target.

propcgamer said:   The funny thing is, the free monitoring really has nothing to do with your credit card number being stolen.

You're right. But this is a pretty standard thing that banks/retailers in this situation do.
What in this offering is going to protect your existing credit card from abuse or notify you if there is fraudulent activity? And as others have said, you should just get a new card number if you're concerned. The one card I used at Target during this period was an FIA AMEX, and it got replaced last week, although it wasn't clear it was due to Target (someone else here reported getting the same notice and they did not use the card there, and the letter simply said it was an unnamed merchant.

Bizatch said:   
dave9095 said:   
Bizatch said:   
actionjbone said:   

If this is true, why aren't all credit card issuers automatically sending new credit cards to all card holders that used their card at Target during the effected dates?

It costs the card issuers money to reissue the cards while it doesn't cost them anything to charge back any fraudulent charge to the merchant so that's why they don't automatically reissue the cards. 

propcgamer said:   The funny thing is, the free monitoring really has nothing to do with your credit card number being stolen.

That is correct.

And I just noticed we are only getting a copy of the Experian report, but not Equifax or Transunion.

excoriatorb said:   
Bizatch said:     If this is true, why aren't all credit card issuers automatically sending new credit cards to all card holders that used their card at Target during the effected dates?

Based on our Target purchases during that time and without any prompting, Discover sent us new cards last week, by Priority Mail.

So did Penfed - they did not explicitly said about Target data breach. But in my infinite wisdom, I correlated that

I'm just thinking, how is this credit monitoring different than CreditKarma, Quizzle or Credit Sesame ?  I signed up for all these so I'm wondering how this credit Target monitoring thing any better than three free ones?

ach1199 said:   I'm just thinking, how is this credit monitoring different than CreditKarma, Quizzle or Credit Sesame ?  I signed up for all these so I'm wondering how this credit Target monitoring thing any better than three free ones?

Difference between this and Credit Karma: This will give you access to an identity theft resolution agent AND insurance for such things as unauthorized EFTs. 

I only used my Target CC once during that period. Does that mean only my Target card may be compromised or is it possible my identity is compromised and therefore potentially affect all my cards?

After providing your email address, Target sends you a web page link and a unique code.

The website they provide is not encrypted (at least the page where you enter your code).

Upon entering my provided unique code correctly, I received the message:
Please enter a valid activation code. Verify the characters you are entering. Verify the code you are entering matches what is on the notification you received.

Anyone else have success or failure?  

Bizatch said:   
dave9095 said:   
Bizatch said:   
actionjbone said:   

They are doing it. (At least my credit union) I got a letter from the bank and they cancelled my card and sending me a new one, without me having to call them.

Thanks OP,

Anyone else reluctant to sign up for this offer as well? How do we know this site is not a hoax or fraud as well. Granted I did see it as a secure site but still...(just a though I had when I was getting ready to sign up)

NEDeals said:   After providing your email address, Target sends you a web page link and a unique code.

The website they provide is not encrypted (at least the page where you enter your code).

Please enter a valid activation code. Verify the characters you are entering. Verify the code you are entering matches what is on the notification you received.

worked for me.

shallot said:   I only used my Target CC once during that period. Does that mean only my Target card may be compromised or is it possible my identity is compromised and therefore potentially affect all my cards?
Yes, your identity may have been compromised, basically anything in the Target database.

Any credit card or debit card previously used at Target or Target.com is also at risk.

OrionTHX said:   Thanks OP,

Anyone else reluctant to sign up for this offer as well? How do we know this site is not a hoax or fraud as well. Granted I did see it as a secure site but still...(just a though I had when I was getting ready to sign up)

Cause this is the link in the Target official press release this AM, you can google it if it makes you feel better.

Signed up and got a code within 5 mins and then signed up on protectmyid.com . Guess no free credit score ..some discounted price..will stick to credit karma for now. I do have a Target card and so far has not been compromised.

If you're concerned enough to take the time to sign up for this free credit monitoring, couldn't you also find five minutes to call for a new card with a new number sometime in the next year?

ProtectMyID.com is free for AAA members and we already signed up with the site with AAA, so I don't need this. 

MisterBeefhead said:   
  If you're concerned enough to take the time to sign up for this free credit monitoring, couldn't you also find five minutes to call for a new card with a new number sometime in the next year?

5 minutes x 70 million accounts = insanity.

There are only 2 real options:
1) Every credit card issuer automatically replaces every credit card used at Target during the malware timeframe.
2) Target offers LIFETIME credit monitoring.

Anything less is trying to take the cheap/easy/sleazy way out and will lose me as a customer.

Use cash if you do not want any potential risk - unless you are robbed in person - and until US vendors stop accepting paper money.
Punishment must be more severe for identity thieves - I'm sure they have children & families
They must learn that destroying families will result in the destruction of their own.

When I click on 'credit score' it wants $3.95 for me to view it. 

My credit union sent a letter, cancelled my card and sent me a new one, without me having to call them.

Bizatch said:     5 minutes x 70 million accounts = insanity.

1) Every credit card issuer automatically replaces every credit card used at Target during the malware timeframe.

Anything less is trying to take the cheap/easy/sleazy way out and will lose me as a customer.

You have 70 million accounts? Wow.

And once again, what does the credit monitoring service do to prevent your existing card from being misused? How would having lifetime credit monitoring (not credit card monitoring) service prevent it from happening?

Also, who is going to lose you as a customer? Target or your card issuer?

dave9095 said:   
NEDeals said:   After providing your email address, Target sends you a web page link and a unique code.

worked for me.

One cannot cut and paste the code -- type the code in and it should work.  You will also have to enter the code a second time on the promotion banner on the checkout page. 

Bizatch said:   
MisterBeefhead said:   

5 minutes x 70 million accounts = insanity.

Your credit card info is more likely to be stolen at many places that you dined at then at Target.  You just don't know about it.  Don't be naive.

Skipping 68 Messages...
Looks like this is still live.  I just requested and received my code.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014