• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
It's that time of year where retailers are unloading their bulky unsold Mr. Beer kits.
Found the Premium Kit at Rite Aid yesterday for $12.49 (the boxes on display had no prices on them, rang up as 75% off from $50).

Kit includes:
INCLUDED:
(1) Fermenter with Lid & Tap Assembly 
(1) Standard Refill (Classic American Light)
(11) Reusable Plastic 740-ml Bottles w/ Caps
(11) Labels with MR.BEERŽ Logo 
(1) Packet MR.BEERŽ Carbonation Drops
(1) Brewing with MR.BEERŽ -- Instructional DVD
(1) Easy to Follow 4 Step Brewing Instructions 

These will likely come down in price further if they don't move, but at the $12.50 price it was low enough for me.

Member Summary

Mr. Beer Premium Kit
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice one op!

Just some conversions, as each batch makes 2 gallons:
2 gallons = 11 x 740 ml bottles
2 gallons = 256 oz = 21 12-oz bottles

Prices on site range from $15 to $25 / 2 gallons
Price per "12-oz" Mr Beer bottle: $0.71 to $1.19
Price per "12-oz" in $15 12-pack: $1.25 (e.g. Sam Adams, Shipyard, Geary's, you know, all the good New England Beer!)

Can you sanitize and reuse the "Equipment" that comes with the kit to brew beer in larger quantities. This seems like a cheap way to load up on a few of these sets and get equipment that would otherwise cost a lot. Or is the equipment real garbage?

if you're sure you'll brew beer as a hobby -- you'll want something bigger and better. Go to a store dedicated to brewing beer and wine and you'll get substantially better equipment.

that said - this would be a very cheap way to find out if you have the patience for it and it is certainly a hot deal for $12.50

Called several stores in my area today and none instock...except I found one that had three. They said they would hold one. When I got there there were two boxes right at the entrance along with 75% Christmas clearance. However the boxes both had a large sheet/price of $49.99. I brought one to register and it rang up at $12.49 (cashier was somewhat surprised). After I paid for it, I told her I'd be back to get another one, which I did.

Not sure if they actually did hold a box behind counter or not. I mentioned it to the cashier, but I guess she didn't think much of it because I had one in hand.

I'll either sell the second to a friend at cost, sell to a college student at profit, or keep the bottle and extra mix for a second batch.

Thanks OP.
Got 2 yesterday - cheaper than a refill alone plus got some more bottles which I needed anyway and additional kegs to brew multiples.
Great find!

 

I've had one sitting in my closet for over a year. Would any of the ingredients gone bad by now?

CORRECTION: I've had it up there in the closet for almost two years now!

I might buy this just for the refill, alone. But the reason why I never used it is because its not really brewing so much as it is mixing stuff and letting it sit there for a while.

donsanedrin said:   I've had one sitting in my closet for over a year. Would any of the ingredients gone bad by now?

CORRECTION: I've had it up there in the closet for almost two years now!

I might buy this just for the refill, alone. But the reason why I never used it is because its not really brewing so much as it is mixing stuff and letting it sit there for a while.

  
Take a look at the bottom of the refill container - it'll have an expiration date.  As long as your closet isn't an oven or rain forest it should be ok if the date hasn't passed.


Groupon 25 for 50 RedEnvelope I used for Mr. Beer Refills 6.90 per all told. You may like something else.
Disclaimer
KidKeller said:   Thanks OP.
Got 2 yesterday - cheaper than a refill alone plus got some more bottles which I needed anyway and additional kegs to brew multiples.
Great find!

 

  
If you're looking for a good deal on refills - Red Envelope of all places has a 3 pack of International Series available for $29.99 + tax.
This deal was better previously, but a little over $10 shipped (not factoring in 6% CashBack thru Fatwallet (follow their link here for cashback and free shipping )) for what should be better tasting flavors isn't bad.  Do note that I ordered them from Red Envelope last month and the refills have an expiration of 7/2014 so you won't want to wait long to make them.  I have one of them brewing now and it appears to be doing what it should a few days into the process (yeast is jumping around and what not).

Shopko has these on clearance as well, but I didn't check the price. Maybe I'll head back today and see. I'm a home brewer so I have the "real" equipment but I didn't consider using these bottles as giveaways rather than glass bombers.

I did this exact thing last year. Bought the cheap kit at rite aid on clearance, bought extra hops since the kit was only American light beer.

End result. Made a batch of good, drinkable beer w/ my nephew and son, learned something along the way.

Recommended.

No reason you couldn't use the kit multiple times. 

juser said:    bought extra hops since the kit was only American light beer.

 

  Can you explain a bit concerning this recipe.  I was planning to start a batch over the weekend, but I'm guessing the American Light beer (also in my package) is on par with Bud.  Is that a correct assessment?  I would prefer to make a tastier brew.
 

dazviking said:   
Can you explain a bit concerning this recipe.  I was planning to start a batch over the weekend, but I'm guessing the American Light beer (also in my package) is on par with Bud.  Is that a correct assessment?  I would prefer to make a tastier brew.
 

 

  

Wouldn't anyone?
 

mpattdu said:   Shopko has these on clearance as well, but I didn't check the price. Maybe I'll head back today and see. I'm a home brewer so I have the "real" equipment but I didn't consider using these bottles as giveaways rather than glass bombers.
  Wow, talk about inflated prices at Shopko. They have the Premium kit marked at $100 normal price and currently on 50% off clearance for $50. The Mr. Beer website doesn't even sell for $100!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014