• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Saw these at Costco store for $19.99 with $9 instant manufacturer's rebate. So this should be nationwide not regional since no Power company's rebate is involved.
Tried them in the bathroom and only 3 are more than enough compared to 8 condacent bulb I originally had in the same bathroom.

Detail:
Feit 40W (uses only 8W) LED Dimmable, instant ON, mercury free G25 bulbs. Pack of 3 for $10.99 at Costco B&M

Home Depot sells the same bulb for $9.97 for one bulb.
HD Link 

Home Depot
See Home Depot discounts that earn 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Feit G25
Thanks jaxguy
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Not for vanity bulbs. At least they are way brighter (and harsher) than the 40W incandescents we had, even in a three-li... (more)

dbphillips (Jan. 26, 2014 @ 7:30p) |

I agree - we replaced 60 or 65 watt bulbs with these and they seem brighter and more sharp. Unless you're lighting a la... (more)

wantonsoup (Jan. 27, 2014 @ 11:34a) |

Too bad not in Iowa City. They had some other and still have some subsidized, but not the vanity ones that I need a coup... (more)

TeeSemmel (Feb. 02, 2014 @ 1:34p) |

YMMV
NOT national.
Costco uses MIR for Energy/Utility company rebates.
See here for some rebate by zip info;
.com prices for the bulbs are higher than warehouse,
but regional rebate information should be similar between site and B&M
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Do you think these are better than fluorescent ones that are in the same shape?

inhoso69 said:   Do you think these are better than fluorescent ones that are in the same shape?
  LED bulbs are mercury free, use less electricity than CFL and last longer than any other bulb in the market available.

inhoso69 said:   Do you think these are better than fluorescent ones that are in the same shape?
  Yes.  If only because they're instant on.

I found these at the same price and got a pkg.  A little dimmer than I expected, but a good color of light.

Dunno know if it's a "hot" deal.  A lot of diode lights were similarly on sale.

Other than they are Feit Electronics...worst bulb company EVER! I have had one of their CFL bulbs explode on me, with glass flying everywhere...and their lifespan is always very sub-par. Even though I love Costco, I will never buy bulbs made by this company. Wish costco would carry reputable brands for bulbs instead of these super cheap/dangerous ones.

I use these in landscaping lighting for my sidewalk.  They work great, provide plenty of light and the price can't be beat.  And they have not exploded on me.

I checked wattage savings on the costco bullbs . they were very close to CFL.
Are paying 6 times the CFL price because the life of LED is more?
Don't have exact info but that's why I didn't buy.

The instant on is nice for bathrooms and kitchens. In fact my CFL life has been subpar in areas that get turned on and off a lot. This is where LED takes the big advantage, and the dimming of course. I have several Feit bulbs now, all work great. The only ones that didn't were the little chandelier type bulbs and that was a dimming problem when 3 were paired together, very odd (single and double bulb dimming worked fine).

jaxguy said:   
  LED bulbs are mercury free, use less electricity than CFL and last longer than any other bulb in the market available.

SUPPOSEDLY last longer than any other bulb.  Just my opinion, but as the prices continue to drop, so does the potential quality of low end bulbs.  High prices and good margins means every LED maker in China's going to try to get in on the trend.

CFL bulbs have mercury & if they brake, are to be removed by haz mat due to the mercury.
Big savings to have LED.

ezwrighter said:   Other than they are Feit Electronics...worst bulb company EVER! I have had one of their CFL bulbs explode on me, with glass flying everywhere...and their lifespan is always very sub-par. Even though I love Costco, I will never buy bulbs made by this company. Wish costco would carry reputable brands for bulbs instead of these super cheap/dangerous ones.
  I'm waiting for Kirkland Signature bulbs. =)

This sounds like a good price for this bulb size. However, a 40 watt equivalent bulb is not usuable for much.

I love the idea of LED replacement bulbs, but I think most people are not likely to buy them until equivalent bulbs in 60, 75, & 100 watt are reasonably priced and ALL dimable.

I know I need bulbs in those wattage and am not likely to pay more than $3 or $4 per bulb. When they get to that price, with perhaps a rebate, then I will buy them.

I have seen some very cheaply made LED bulbs , and bought a few. They did not last.

great deals

Mercury is a big problem for CFLs. Have a friend whose toddler winged a toy in his bedroom and broke a CFL. She called some Fed agency ( don't recall.....possibly poison control center) and due to the mercury they recommended getting rid of the carpet. Sure you save a bit on electric but at what cost. LEDs have it all over CFLs.

Is there a limit on the $9 instant rebate?

cool deals ,thanks

ezwrighter said:   Other than they are Feit Electronics...worst bulb company EVER! I have had one of their CFL bulbs explode on me, with glass flying everywhere...and their lifespan is always very sub-par. Even though I love Costco, I will never buy bulbs made by this company. Wish costco would carry reputable brands for bulbs instead of these super cheap/dangerous ones.
  So true!

jaxguy said:   

Use less electricity because they're dimmer. These LED bulbs are only 150 lumens. That's very low.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302123-3-26957_0+1z11whs__?productId=320... 
These CFL's are 10W, but are 600 lumens. They're also instant on, although I prefer slow start up in the bathroom and can't believe people complain so much about it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_351606-75774-LBP9GM2_0+1z11whs__?product... 
9W, 350 lumens

http://www.lowes.com/pd_354618-75774-LBP11R202/27K_0+1z11whs__?p... 
11W, 380 lumens

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302424-3-26965_0+1z11whs__?productId=320... 
These are 13W, but are 800 lumens.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213568-75774-LBP15TDM_0+1z11whs__?produc... 
These use 15W, but are 1025 lumens.

etc.

If you get dimmable CFL's, you could dim them down to the 8W these use, but have much more light output than this LED.

Also LED's can go bad just like CFL's.  And I've had some CFL's for about 15 years.

Hmmm. No rebate in Kirkland itself.

mine when out about every 9 months or so.

Feit bulbs have died fast- CFL and/or Feit LED's.  Suggest to avoid.

got these for my bathroom a couple of months ago. Replaced 40 watt incandescent.  These are definitely brighter. Happy  so far.

Florescent Lighting is done 5 years Tops

fatwaltag said:   Feit bulbs have died fast- CFL and/or Feit LED's.  Suggest to avoid.
  Add me to the list.  I will NEVER buy FEIT brand bulbs again.

Slickone said:   
jaxguy said:   

Use less electricity because they're dimmer. These LED bulbs are only 150 lumens. That's very low.

The OP package shows 500 lumens at 8watts.

Yeah, I don't think these are 150 lumens. They're not "bright", but 150 is basically decorative, casting almost no usable light.

I've had very good experience with bulbs from Costco, mostly Feit. One was bad out of the box, no hassle to replace. One started to go flaky after about 6 months (flickering after on a minute or two). No hassle to replace. There was a little bit of effort because they came in 3 packs - they said they'd need at least 2 to do a return. They were still selling these, so I picked up a new pack and basically returned that, swapping in my bad bulb each time. I've had dozens in use for more than a year, that's the extent of the troubles.

These bulbs are not for me, no fixtures where a G shape works and has a standard connector size. Plus they are a bit dim, I'd look to use them outdoors or in small areas like stairways or closets. $11 for 3 is a great deal if you've got a good spot for them.

I wish there was a costco near me

not available at SoCal costco's so definitely not a national thing

Keep buying them and taking every single one of them that fails earlier than promised back to Costco.

Sooner or later Costco might get the hint.  It's really odd that most of the stuff Costco carries is anywhere from similar to far better than other stores.  Yet their bulbs are crap.

I tried the costco LEDs versus a comparable branded CREE bulb from Home Depot. They were 30% cheaper at costco, and matched soft white color. However, when switched on, they had a 1/4 second delay which may not seem like much but it was noticeable enough, especially if all your bulbs don't match. I also noticed my cree bulbs have a 10 year warranty, these from costco I think were 2 or 3 year warranty. I took them back.

Good price, but not happy with usability or warranty. Good price though, I paid around 18.00 for the cree lamps.

FranksandBeans said:   

Keep buying them and taking every single one of them that fails earlier than promised back to Costco.

Sooner or later Costco might get the hint.  It's really odd that most of the stuff Costco carries is anywhere from similar to far better than other stores.  Yet their bulbs are crap.

I wasn't happy with their CFLs, too many early deaths and longer warmups than the ones from Fry's when they had them for a quarter each.
Got 6 of the Feit LEDs, the reflector 65W equivalent from when they had them for $6.40. So far I'm happy with the LEDs, but it's not long yet, I'm watching.

... and bananas is another sad chapter in Costco. Even Sams got better bananas, but for everything else  Costco  is the place to go

Gojumpina said:   
Slickone said:   
jaxguy said:   

The OP package shows 500 lumens at 8watts.

I was going by the ones at HD that the OP linked to and said were the same bulb. They show 150 lumens.

Slickone said:   
jaxguy said:   

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302123-3-26957_0+1z11whs__?productId=320... 
These CFL's are 10W, but are 600 lumens. They're also instant on, although I prefer slow start up in the bathroom and can't believe people complain so much about it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_351606-75774-LBP9GM2_0+1z11whs__?product... 
9W, 350 lumens

http://www.lowes.com/pd_354618-75774-LBP11R202/27K_0+1z11whs__?p... 
11W, 380 lumens

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302424-3-26965_0+1z11whs__?productId=320... 
These are 13W, but are 800 lumens.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213568-75774-LBP15TDM_0+1z11whs__?produc... 
These use 15W, but are 1025 lumens.

etc.

If you get dimmable CFL's, you could dim them down to the 8W these use, but have much more light output than this LED.

Also LED's can go bad just like CFL's.  And I've had some CFL's for about 15 years.

These LED G25 Bulbs are rated 500 Lumens each instead of 150 Lumens each. You will see it by taking look at the picture under member summary.

jaxguy said:   

Also LED have the full brightness right away, CFL take a while though the time varies. Almost all LED bulbs are dimmable, CFLs rarely and even the ones that claimed to be didn't do it well.
LED last longer if they are built correctly. Since the energy is consumed in a rather small area/volume the trick is to get the heat away from the semiconductor fast enough so it'll operate at a low temperature. If this is done right they should last decades.

I bought two packs of these exact globe 3-packs to try in the bathroom - I'm probably going to take one back ($9 off here in eastern wa).  I've a four lamp over-the-mirror setup, with two feit CFL bulbs from Costco (last of a 6 pack, and two Panasonic bulbs from many years ago that are still going strong (as the feits CLFs have burned out, the Panasonics haven't.)  I agree that Costco CFL bulbs are the very very worse bulbs, even worse than the free bulbs given to my penniless mother in law that have chinese on the box.

So far, I don't like the garish white light of these LEDs, but for $10 it's worth experimenting.  They are very bright (500 lumens, and brighter than the CFLs), but cast a shadow beneath my nose and eyes.  I've since just put the two LEDs in the center two sockets, and the two Panasonics on the outer sockets - I get instant-on (w/ 1/4s delay) and a slow brightening of the other two.  I noticed the base of the LED bulb gets very hot (take the bulb out after it's been on) - and this bodes not well for the longevity.  Heat = Death.

I agree with the other poster that the warmup of CFLs is nice - especially when you're still rubbing your eyes and getting into the shower.  But when pinching a loaf and the magazine you're trying to read can't be seen until you're halfway done, the delay sucks.

Interestingly enough, at Costco, right next to the 3-packs for $10 are single packs for $7 (after $3 off) of what seems to be a much better bulb - a two-tired finned design.  They're also Feit branded.  

As LEDs get more common we'll have more informed choices.  Regardless, LED lighting is definitely showing their presence on the freeway here near downtown - all the lights have been replaced with LEDs - kind of video game futuristic - real low with a bright white light.  

There's some people I know of who go around specifying LED lighting for stuff like car lots, office buildings, grocery stores - and they're having great success cutting the power bill for their clients.  Take for example the fluorescent strips between the freezer/ref doors at your grocery store - they put out heat that must be removed else the ice cream will melt - but with much cooler LEDs in place they're paid for in just a quarter or two.

But these Costco ones really get hot on the base.  I wonder what's up with that.

do you have the item number? thanks

Must be regional, not on sale in Colorado. BTW I have about 7 of these sets (so 21 bulbs) and use them in bathrooms, they're awesome.

On sale in Utah. Just picked up 5 packs. They are pretty bright!

Skipping 11 Messages...
dbphillips said:   
po90260 said:   40w is way too dim. Guess I'll have to wait a couple of years.
Not for vanity bulbs. At least they are way brighter (and harsher) than the 40W incandescents we had, even in a three-light fixture.

And the Issaquah Costco has a $12 rebate now. $8 for three is stupid cheap. Some stores wanted that much for an incandescent vanity bulb.

Too bad not in Iowa City. They had some other and still have some subsidized, but not the vanity ones that I need a couple too.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014