• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This link is their online listing for it for $195.49. In-store its $19.50
I know the webpage says its sold online only but they do have it in stores at the clearance price. Please note it will probably be extreme YMMV because it was listed before at its previous clearance price of $39.50, but they are still out there.

Link here 

Here is a current coupon to use to sweeten the deal even further and also use rewards to possibly get them a little cheaper

Link here 

Check inventory here

Link here 

Ripped from SD

People are saying that the black ones are marked down as well. NOT TRUE, at least not in my area (34982)

More deals in the official Staples clearance thread.
Staples
See Staples promo codes that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

chair (14.88kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

NotAClue (Jan. 29, 2014 @ 9:43a) |

Inventory checker above doesn't seem to work for me on IE or Chrome...

http://checkinventory.net/  This one however works ... (more)

z3n (Jan. 29, 2014 @ 10:20a) |

My local store said "Low Stock Clearance Item" - so I went on Monday to look....manager and I went all over and couldn't... (more)

hallf (Feb. 01, 2014 @ 9:57a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Good post! That's a heck of a deal for a chair. I wonder if you could choose it in black though and it be the same price?

rated:
I agree with OP. Extremely YMMV.

rated:
Ya this is an extreme YMMV, I actually got two of these @ $39.50 and now I have to dig outr my receipts and see if I can get a price adjustment. Really nice chairs for $40, outstanding if you can find them for $20!

rated:
Limited availability in Reynoldsburg Ohio (suburb of Columbus)

rated:
Brown only at one store near me but black is in every store so I'm guessing that black is more $.

Brown SKU 927818
Black SKU 923281

rated:
Can we buy it online, return to store, and then rebuy at clearance price?

rated:
gd78 said:   Can we buy it online, return to store, and then rebuy at clearance price?
Doesn't sound like something a store would be willing to do. Clearance price is a B&M price, full price on line. 
I've seen dot com returns B&M but they're not 90% off.  I'd also bet that the store would take the hit on it.
I know that stores have to price match dot com but I don't know if dot com has to price match B&M especially when you're talking about clearance.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   
gd78 said:   Can we buy it online, return to store, and then rebuy at clearance price?
Doesn't sound like something a store would be willing to do. Clearance price is a B&M price, full price on line. 
I've seen dot com returns B&M but they're not 90% off.  I'd also bet that the store would take the hit on it.
I know that stores have to price match dot com but I don't know if dot com has to price match B&M especially when you're talking about clearance.

I was assuming that B&M would just mark it down and resell it as their own inventory (at the in-store price)

rated:
I don't know how it comes into their inventory.  If it comes into their inventory worth $195.49, then to sell it for $19.50 they take a loss.
If it comes into their inventory as a freebie ($0) then I guess they make money if they sell it to you for $19.50.
Not quite the same thing, but I recently bought Dymo Shipping scales that were originally $179.99, clearance price ~$23.  I commented to SM that it was a great deal.  He said yes it was for me but that each scale had "cost" him $80.  He didn't look happy.

rated:
I've done the return & rebuy at Staples on a color laser printer that was clearanced $149 in B&M stores (but not in stock in my area) and $549 online. It was the manager's call and he did it but told me he didn't have to. If what he told me was true, his options were to either accept the return at $549 and ship it back to the warehouse (which he said would involve a refund from corporate and cost him nothing but the trouble involved), or price match and not have to mess with it (which he said would count against his store's bottom line). He certainly wasn't friendly about doing it, but he did it.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   I don't know how it comes into their inventory.  If it comes into their inventory worth $195.49, then to sell it for $19.50 they take a loss.
If it comes into their inventory as a freebie ($0) then I guess they make money if they sell it to you for $19.50.
Not quite the same thing, but I recently bought Dymo Shipping scales that were originally $179.99, clearance price ~$23.  I commented to SM that it was a great deal.  He said yes it was for me but that each scale had "cost" him $80.  He didn't look happy.

I scored those Dymo scales, too (with 20% off coupon )
 They had them hidden away in a back room. As if not selling them at all were better than taking a loss.

rated:
gd78 said:   
my4mainecoons said:   I don't know how it comes into their inventory.  If it comes into their inventory worth $195.49, then to sell it for $19.50 they take a loss.

I scored those Dymo scales, too (with 20% off coupon )
 They had them hidden away in a back room. As if not selling them at all were better than taking a loss.

25% off coupon and $10/$50 coupon in combination with Avery binders made them ~$16 ea

rated:
looks like a price mistake...

rated:
So my store says low stock.....if I go and and they say they have one, can I ask them to ring it up in the register to see what price it rings up without having to lug the box up front?

rated:
bhoup said:   So my store says low stock.....if I go and and they say they have one, can I ask them to ring it up in the register to see what price it rings up without having to lug the box up front?
  yes, hopefully there will be a price tag on it and you just bring the tag up front-- even if the price tag has wrong price printed bar code should give clearance price.

rated:
This should be well known, and if not here it is...

What is on clearance AT ONE LOCATION IT MAY NOT BE IN ANOTHER, WM IS THE SAME...

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   Not quite the same thing, but I recently bought Dymo Shipping scales that were originally $179.99, clearance price ~$23.  I commented to SM that it was a great deal.  He said yes it was for me but that each scale had "cost" him $80.  He didn't look happy.

He must have missed Economics 101... if the scales never sold, they would have cost him $103.  He was taking a smaller loss than if you had set them back on the shelf... he should have been VERY happy.

rated:
Keep in mind most stores have or had at least one on display, so the chances of finding one in a box are really low. If you decide to get a floor display model check it thoroughly for missing or damaged parts, these chairs have a 5 year warranty through Staples.

The black one was on sale for $99 the week I bought my brown ones, it was featured on the front page of the weekly ad. Not sure if it's still on sale but it's definitely not clearanced yet.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   This should be well known, and if not here it is...

What is on clearance AT ONE LOCATION IT MAY NOT BE IN ANOTHER, WM IS THE SAME...

No, that's how it is at Target and WM. Prices ending in 50˘ are system wide clearance items, they may have special tags put on them by stubborn and cheap store managers but if you can get a UPC for them they will scan at the current clearance price.

rated:
bhoup said:   So my store says low stock.....if I go and and they say they have one, can I ask them to ring it up in the register to see what price it rings up without having to lug the box up front?

If you ask them to check stock on SKU 927818 it will show them the current price (in this case $19.50) and the number they have in stock. Before asking I would strongly suggest that you go back to the furniture department and check every assembled brown chair to see if there's one there first; that way if they tell you there is only one showing in stock you know if it's the floor display model. If someone asks if you need help brush them off until you check every chair personally, if you give them the SKU and wander off to look at chairs the CSR will check and if there's one left boxed they'll be sitting in it at the end of the day, not you.

rated:
Staples® Karston™ Bonded Leather Managers Mid-Back Chair, Black

Item 923281

Model 21086-CC

$99.99

rated:
Staples® Karston™ Bonded Leather Managers Mid-Back Chair, Brown

Item 927818

Model 21320-CC

$195.49

rated:
Which one is nicer... brown or black?

rated:
NotAClue said:   Which one is nicer... brown or black?
  I like the paisley....

rated:
^^^

The one that is available and if both are available, then it is personal preference depends on what else you have matching in room, etc.

rated:
I'm seeing "Low Stock" on all the stores near me. I may have to make a run around town to see if I can find one.

Bittersweet, since I sat in some Refurbed Aerons locally last week, promising myself that I would swear off cheap office store chairs. My current 'bonded leather' chair looks like it has a skin disease.

rated:
NotAClue said:   Which one is nicer... brown or black?
  whichever makes you happier-- sitting in a brown chair knowing you only paid $19.50 or sitting in a black chair that matches your decor
now if you get a brown chair for $19.50 and it matches your decor, well that's really nice

rated:
I have a several year old version of this same chair. I got a very good deal on it back then. These are very good chairs & will give you many years of service.

rated:
pic of receipt

rated:
thanks

rated:
when is the sale till

rated:
"Bonded leather" is a huge no-no.

rated:
granthell said:   "Bonded leather" is a huge no-no.
  I thought this too, but.....  a few months ago, I bought another bonded leather office chair from Staples, also store clearance.  I paid like $30 (orig $180+) and it's so much more comfy than my 10 yr-old fabric office chair.  So for $30 spent, my ass is now happy everyday...Well worth it, bonded leather or not.

rated:
Found 2 in jersey. But they ring up at $99.99 each. No clearance in nj

rated:
No clearance in grand rapids

rated:
Damn was hoping to score... None within 100 miles of me.. Great post other than that, this is truly what FW is all about. Thanks.

rated:
the woman at my store said that these are brand new to their store and that there would be no way they would be on clearance. just be aware that simply because the store has them in stock does not mean that they are on clearance

rated:
In my area, nyc, only the brown is on clearance and they are Out of Stock here. Black one rings up at $99.99

Skipping 26 Messages...
rated:
My local store said "Low Stock Clearance Item" - so I went on Monday to look....manager and I went all over and couldn't find any Brown (4 Black ones though at $99.99) even though his system said they had one in stock. Checked the inventory checker just now and it still says "Low Stock Clearance Item"....

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014