• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've bought many TracFones from this eBay seller over the years.   I've always had painless, fast transactions.

- Brand new Android phones
- Free 2nd day USPS priority mail shipping
- All phones are triple minutes for life
- Separate (i.e. not preloaded on phone) 400 min / 1 year card included ($100 value in itself) = 1200 minutes.

1a. LG Optimus Dynamic II ($149 - $10 eBay instant coupon for this seller = $139)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Optimus-Dynamic-II-Smartphone-with-12... 
**** EDIT 2/12 Noon - LG sold out for now.  Will update link if relisted ****

1b. LG Optimus Dynamic II ($129 + $20ish in shipping/tax)
http://www.qvc.com/LG-Tracfone-Prepaid-Android-with-1200-Min-Tex... 

2. Samsung Galaxy Centura ($149 - $10 eBay instant coupon for this seller = $139)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Centura-Android-with-1200... 

3. ZTE Valet ($129 - $10 eBay instant coupon for this seller = $119)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTE-Valet-Android-Smartphone-with-1200-M... 

NOTE: I plan on activating the 1 year card on my current non-android phone (to get bonus minutes.  Adding airtime to Android phones current does not allow bonus codes).  Then I'll wait a day or two and do online activate Android phone and transfer phone numbers and minutes.

Member Summary

tracfone
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I would like to know how this went/goes. It states on the Tracfone website that attempting to move bonus minutes to a ph... (more)

dalelaroy (Feb. 11, 2014 @ 2:26p) |

I got the ZTE Valet last Thursday. I used the 1 year/400 mins along with a promo code 14774 (250 bonus mins)on my old tr... (more)

Norseman (Feb. 11, 2014 @ 2:48p) |

Also bought the ZTE Valet.  Had a 15%off coupon via email for downloading the eBay app.  Made the phone essentially free... (more)

glocks (Feb. 27, 2014 @ 5:49p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've also purchased several items from this seller with zero problems, always the best prices.

Not to thread-crap, but:
same phone--LG Dynamic II, triple mins, 600 min card, for $130 at HSN 

scottsd said:   Not to thread-crap, but:
same phone--LG Dynamic II, triple mins, 600 min card, for $130 at HSN 

Yes... HSN is $9 cheaper.  But HSN phone is only 200min card x 3 (600 total min)... good for 90 days.  I do believe you get a free car charger wtih HSN deal, however with you have to pay tax as well (kills the $9 off).  I think HSN is free shipping for that item for now.

Link at top of this post is for 400min card x 3 (1200 total min)... good for 365 days.  It's worth the extra $9.

BTW... if you do only want the 200min card, this eBay seller has same deal for $119 ($129 - $10)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Optimus-Dynamic-II-Smartphone-600-Min... 

Or same eBay seller has just the phone for $99 ($109 - $10)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Optimus-Dynamic-II-LG39C-Android-Smar... 

Oh right -- I mistook that the "600 min" card in the HSN deal would be _before_ tripling.

I wonder how the economics of this work out, compared to the non-Tracfones where you pay a fxed monthly amount for a fixed # of MG data. Say if you use 200 MB/mo?'

Well, I looked up some prices:
200 mi card  $40; this triples to 600 min plus 600 MB data (good for 90 days)
Data-only card: 750 MB, $20 (with carryover); I think you would use this if you still had mins left but were running out your data allotment

So if you use 250 MB data in a month, it could cost you $7 or so (1/3 x $20 data card).

Let me rephrase that --
the 1 year card with 400 mins (1200 tripled) costs $100; 1/12 of that is about $8/mo, for 100 mins, 100 MB.
So if you stay under that limit, that's all it would cost you.
If you need more data, say an additional 250 MB per month, add about $7.
So total for 100 mins, 250 MB is about $25/mo.
That seem reasonable?

Ditto on the seller, "shopcelldeals". good buying experience with them.

Awesome deal! Just ordered the ZTE.

For those of you trying to decide:

All 3 use the Verizon network.

All 3 have GPS.

The LG and ZTE come with 4 gig MicroSD cards, the Samsung does not.

All 3 have 3 megapixel cameras - but only the ZTE includes a flash.

NOTE: I plan on activating the 1 year card on my current non-android phone (to get bonus minutes.  Adding airtime to Android phones current does not allow bonus codes).  Then I'll wait a day or two and do online activate Android phone and transfer phone numbers and minutes.

Do transferred minutes get tripled?  I didn't think they did.  While your plan would get you bonus minutes, you might only get double minutes - is your current phone a triple minute one?

A Comparison of the Valet and Centura Galaxy from Tracfone
http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2013/10/tracfone-zte-valet-... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS7TbsUn1iY 

I bought the ZTE Valet Z665c for my daughter for Xmas (recent HSN deal for $80 with 600min). Was pleased enough with the phone that I bought 2 others for others in the family since then (from shopcelldeals).  Had no problem porting an AT&T GoPhone # to the ZTE Tracfone as well. Only ounce of complaint (I think mentioned in the reviews) is that the wi-fi range isn't stellar, but adequate. Have a small zone in the house (2 floors away from a 802.11g router) that the signal drops.

Paboo, just curious if there is a reason why you've bought several phones over the last several years. Do the old ones break? Is it a desire to upgrade? Just curious - I am the last holdout in my IT team of 140 people to get a cell phone, and some people I work with seem to change phones every month but I've never asked why until now.

Do transferred minutes get tripled?  I didn't think they did.  While your plan would get you bonus minutes, you might only get double minutes - is your current phone a triple minute one?

No, transferred minutes do not tripled.  At least I think you are asking if you had 600 minutes left over on your non-Android Tracfone, they would not turn into 1800 minutes on the Android phones.  No, however you will get 600 talk minutes, 600 text, and 600MB of data in this case.

I just got my new LG39c in the mail today.   I have added the 1 year card to my old LG840 phone (my current phone) and used the bonus code 92816 for extra 250 minutes.   So just added 1450 (1200 + 250) minutes and 365 of service to my LG840.   Had about 1000 minutes and 100 days of service left on my LG840.  Tomorrow I will do online transfer from old to new phone and expect to see 2450 minutes, 2450 text, and 2,450MB data with 465 days of service.

JassieB said:   Paboo, just curious if there is a reason why you've bought several phones over the last several years. Do the old ones break? Is it a desire to upgrade? Just curious - I am the last holdout in my IT team of 140 people to get a cell phone, and some people I work with seem to change phones every month but I've never asked why until now.

I've never had issues with them breaking.  Battery life would get a little shorter after a couple years of use, but that is to expected.   TracFone (or this eBay seller, actually) always seems to have free refurbished phones (or sometimes new) when I needed to buy my 1 year service, so would upgrade for giggles.

A lot of Peeps like to have the latest and greatest imho... that's why they seem to upgrade every year.  Keeping up with the Jones?   BTW... these Android phones are probably as fast and robust as new phones were 2-3 years ago.  Tracfone always seems to use phone technology that is a few years ago.

scottsd said:   I wonder how the economics of this work out, compared to the non-Tracfones where you pay a fxed monthly amount for a fixed # of MG data. Say if you use 200 MB/mo?'

Well, I looked up some prices:
200 mi card  $40; this triples to 600 min plus 600 MB data (good for 90 days)
Data-only card: 750 MB, $20 (with carryover); I think you would use this if you still had mins left but were running out your data allotment

So if you use 250 MB data in a month, it could cost you $7 or so (1/3 x $20 data card).

Let me rephrase that --
the 1 year card with 400 mins (1200 tripled) costs $100; 1/12 of that is about $8/mo, for 100 mins, 100 MB.
So if you stay under that limit, that's all it would cost you.
If you need more data, say an additional 250 MB per month, add about $7.
So total for 100 mins, 250 MB is about $25/mo.
That seem reasonable?

Tracfone has never been for power users.  I rarely make phone calls and don't text much.  As for data... I've had the LG840 for a year or so and 95% of the time I access the data when connected to WIFI which does not count against minutes/MBs. 

Tracfone does have some seperate 'Data Only' GB cards for a little lower price per MB. 

Pretty good find OP

I used to have a Tracfone I pretty much only used it for emergencies it was fine for that purpose

Paboo said:   

No, transferred minutes do not tripled.  At least I think you are asking if you had 600 minutes left over on your non-Android Tracfone, they would not turn into 1500 minutes on the Android phones.  No, however you will get 600 talk minutes, 600 text, and 600MB of data in this case.

I just got my new LG39c in the mail today.   I have added the 1 year card to my old LG840 phone (my current phone) and used the bonus code 92816 for extra 250 minutes.   So just added 1450 (11200 + 250) minutes and 365 of service to my LG840.   Had about 1000 minutes and 100 days of service left on my LG840.  Tomorrow I will do online transfer from old to new phone and expect to see 2450 minutes, 2450 text, and 2,450MB data with 465 days of service.

unless they changed recently, all minutes transferred from a non android phone do get tripled (3x talk + 3x sms + 3x data). You cannot transfer at all from an android phone, you just lose everyting.

All these phones use Verizon. I have the centura (rooted with custom rom) with 600/600/600 and a year of service and get no signal at all at my house. Anyone want to make an offer?

I also have the Samsung and browsing the web is frustratingly slow, especially when I'm not connected via wifi.  Also the battery needs to be recharged every 2-3 days, depending on how much I use the phone. 

Why you ask do some get new phones. With Tracfone, many people that have been loyal to them over the years sometimes find it is cheaper/more economical to get a new phone rather than to purchase additional air time cards. By activating this new phone, their airtime is extended (days of service). Sometimes they offer phones, especially refurbished, that contain airtime cards. Maybe they are wanting to move up to a phone that includes triple minutes. It may be for a newel model with better features. Battery issues. Etc.
I have used Tracfone since it first came out over ten years ago and this is why I have switched phones.

jimates said:   
Paboo said:   

No, transferred minutes do not tripled.  At least I think you are asking if you had 600 minutes left over on your non-Android Tracfone, they would not turn into 1500 minutes on the Android phones.  No, however you will get 600 talk minutes, 600 text, and 600MB of data in this case.

I just got my new LG39c in the mail today.   I have added the 1 year card to my old LG840 phone (my current phone) and used the bonus code 92816 for extra 250 minutes.   So just added 1450 (11200 + 250) minutes and 365 of service to my LG840.   Had about 1000 minutes and 100 days of service left on my LG840.  Tomorrow I will do online transfer from old to new phone and expect to see 2450 minutes, 2450 text, and 2,450MB data with 465 days of service.

unless they changed recently, all minutes transferred from a non android phone do get tripled (3x talk + 3x sms + 3x data). You cannot transfer at all from an android phone, you just lose everyting.

All these phones use Verizon. I have the centura (rooted with custom rom) with 600/600/600 and a year of service and get no signal at all at my house. Anyone want to make an offer?

jimates... you used to be the Tracfone MAN... what happened?

When the Centura was first offered on HSN a few months ago they erroneously promised to triple minutes on transfer.   What I think HSN was trying to say is for every minute transferred, you get 1 minute talk, 1 minute data, and 1MB data (i.e. "tripled").   I think a few people might of  gotten the triple-triple (3 each for each 1 minute transfer) during the rollout confusion, but it's 1 each for 1 now.

qcumber98... Been impressed with my LG39c so far.  Only used on WIFI though.  I do know that all of these Android will only utilize 3G data speeds.   I think this is why Tracfone only allows older (3G only) phone up to this point.  They 'borrow' Verizon and ATT towers for their service and I'm sure they would of had to pay a lot more for 4G and/or 4G LTE.

How do you get the -$10 coupon?

Sorry OP, but I do not think this is a very good deal.
First of all, anyone can purchase the One Year 400 Minute card from Tracfone anytime for just $99 and it is often discounted.
Any smartphone that TracFone sells comes with Triple Minutes/Text/Data for life making that $99 plan a 1200 minute plan.
Your plan to buy the eBay 'Deal' just to activate the One Year 400 Minute card on your non Android TracFone will not yield you triple minutes.

As for the phones, the LG phone mentioned is terrible, and the Samsung is more expensive and not nearly as good as the ZTE Valet (faster processor, better camera, flash for the camera, and comes with a 2gb micro sd card).
The ZTE Valet is often found on sale at Target or BestBuy for under $60.

That said, common complaints about TracFone smartphones stem from the way they changed their minute plans. Non smartphone TracFones has usage based on minutes only. Your used the phone for a minute it deducted a minute from your bucket of minutes, you sent a text and it deducted a fraction of a minutes from your bucket of minutes, you used data and it deducted some minutes from your bucket of minutes. This changed with the TracFone smartphones as they now have three buckets, one for talk, one for text, and one for data. You purchase a 400 minute card and apply it to your TracFone then, because of their triple minute policy for smartphones, you have 1200 minutes of talk, 1200 text messages, and some amount of data (unknown) available to use. The problem comes for someone that texts a lot or talks a lot or uses a lot of data... once they run down that one bucket they have to purchase another 'minute' card (as opposed to sharing the usage pool of minutes between talk/text/data with non-smartphones).

I think TracFones represent an excellent value, particularly for occasional or emergency use users, and I think the ZTE Valet is a pretty good phone (but it is no iPhone or Galaxy which cost over 10 times the price when you consider the total cost of ownership) but for some these TracFone smartphones are not as good of a value as a the plain Tracfones.

Just wanted to help people make informed purchases.

Paboo said:   BTW... these Android phones are probably as slow and robust as new phones were 2-3 years ago.  Tracfone always seems to use phone technology that is a few years ago.

Actually the ZTE Valet is a very modern phone and very capable.  What makes it sell regularly for under $50 (current price at BestBuy) is that it does not have a great screen.  Not nearly as sharp or bright as the likes of a iPhone or Galaxy.  Sam operating system as the Galaxy but a somewhat less powerful, but perfectly capable processor.  Up to the individual to decide if the much higher price of the Galaxy (or iPhone, but since this is a Google/Andriod device it compares more directly with the Galaxy) is worth it.  Oh, and on top of the service fees, if you loose your Galaxy you are looking at riding out your two year contract or paying $700 for a new one vs another $50 for another ZTE,

fatgempler...

I don't think I was clear about activating the 1 year / "1200" card. Both old and new phones are triple minutes for life. Tracfone has always offered bonus code minutes when you activate the card. However with the Android phones they are not accepting bonus codes. So 1 year card will always be 1200 minutes.

I went ahead and added the 1 year card to my old phone yesterday and got 250 bonus minutes. So 1450 on my old phone. Now just this morning I transfer service from old phone to new phone. Now have 1450 talk, 1450 text, and 1,450MB data. Very good trick for getting extra bonus minutes on initial setup if you are transfer from old Tracfone to a new one.

As for the new triple bucket plan... It is kind of confusing and I thought I hated it at first, but it is actually great for the user. In one year I can talk for 1450 AND 1450 text message AND 1,450MB of data. On the old phone I could of talked 1450 minutes OR 4350 texts (about .3 minutes per text) OR 14.5 MB data (100KB / minute). So only sucks if you are power texter... but if you are a power texter now you can now download a text app and use your app to text and much better rate than old (.3 min per text).  Data used to really suck on the old phone, now it's 100x more for you buck.

Not sure where you are getting your info about these phones.  I think you may be thinking of the first LG Optimus Dynamic (which is horid.  Andriod 2.1 I think).  Link above is for the new LG Optimus Dynamic II.   All the reviews I have rate all three about the same. I think the Valet has flash for it's camera, but other than that, all the same. I have the LG840 and like it so decided to go for the LG39c smartphone.

Yes... very capable phones, I'm pleased with all three. Maybe top of line a couple years ago. Only made that comment b/c I know Jessie's tech buddy will not be impressed. Hmm... I'm changing 'slow' to 'fast' in post that you quoted. Makes more sense.

Paboo

were you able to transfer your minutes on their website or did you have to call?  I had heard if you were transferring a large number of minutes you couldn't do it on their website and was wondering if that was true or not.
Thanks

hospoman said:   Paboo

were you able to transfer your minutes on their website or did you have to call?  I had heard if you were transferring a large number of minutes you couldn't do it on their website and was wondering if that was true or not.
Thanks

Yes... did the standard Tracfone to Tracfone online process.  I heard the same issue from users about large number amounts a couple months ago when the Android first came out, but haven't heard anything lately.  I took photos of my service end date and minutes from my old phone just in case.

I had 3218 minutes on old and now have 3220 talk, 3220 text, and 3220.0 Mb of data, service ending 07/15/2015 according to tracfone online.

Only issue is phone still isn't working yet.  I think they had to port my number from ATT to Verizon, but who knows.  Will be calling help desk shortly.  In the past Tracfone to Tracfone has been super quick to transfer minutes and get phone up and running.

****edit**** Called the 'Executive?' number (800 876 5753) and got someone in Miami. They were quick to fix. Had me call a *#+digits number. Wish I would of remember numbers, phone doesn't have in my call log.

fud2 said:   How do you get the -$10 coupon?
  Click the links.  You will see mention of it at top of listing.   Nothing to click or type in, $10 will be taken off automatically during checkout.

Paboo said:   fatgempler...
Not sure where you are getting your info about these phones.  I think you may be thinking of the first LG Optimus Dynamic (which is horid.  Andriod 2.1 I think).  Link above is for the new LG Optimus Dynamic II. 

Right, I did confuse the LG you mentioned with the older one that HSN was pushing in December... This Optimus ii is not bad at all, but the ZTE Valet is still the better value of all three, less expensive and has more features than both the Samsung and the LG.

Paboo said: You will see mention of it at top of listing

Thanks found it...Can anyone explain in simple terms how the data plan works?  I've had a basic phone for years...Does the year of service include a monthly allotment of data?  Is it a yearly allotment?  Do you buy data separate from minutes?

Paboo said:   fatgempler...

I don't think I was clear about activating the 1 year / "1200" card. Both old and new phones are triple minutes for life. Tracfone has always offered bonus code minutes when you activate the card. However with the Android phones they are not accepting bonus codes. So 1 year card will always be 1200 minutes.

I went ahead and added the 1 year card to my old phone yesterday and got 250 bonus minutes. So 1450 on my old phone. Now just this morning I transfer service from old phone to new phone. Now have 1450 talk, 1450 text, and 1,450MB data. Very good trick for getting extra bonus minutes on initial setup if you are transfer from old Tracfone to a new one.

As for the new triple bucket plan... It is kind of confusing and I thought I hated it at first, but it is actually great for the user. In one year I can talk for 1450 AND 1450 text message AND 1,450MB of data. On the old phone I could of talked 1450 minutes OR 4350 texts (about .3 minutes per text) OR 14.5 MB data (100KB / minute). So only sucks if you are power texter... but if you are a power texter now you can now download a text app and use your app to text and much better rate than old (.3 min per text).  Data used to really suck on the old phone, now it's 100x more for you buck.

Not sure where you are getting your info about these phones.  I think you may be thinking of the first LG Optimus Dynamic (which is horid.  Andriod 2.1 I think).  Link above is for the new LG Optimus Dynamic II.   All the reviews I have rate all three about the same. I think the Valet has flash for it's camera, but other than that, all the same. I have the LG840 and like it so decided to go for the LG39c smartphone.

Yes... very capable phones, I'm pleased with all three. Maybe top of line a couple years ago. Only made that comment b/c I know Jessie's tech buddy will not be impressed. Hmm... I'm changing 'slow' to 'fast' in post that you quoted. Makes more sense.

What promo code did you use for the 250 bonus minutes?

Norseman...
I used 92816, but it expires today (2/1).  Looks like this is new code:  14774 - 250 bonus minutes - Valid through February 27th 2014

fud2...
Best description of how TracFone works?  It's a prepaid phone.  Your minutes never expire (and rollover) as long as you keep your service active.  Best value is to buy the 1 Year card / 400 Minutes (that triple to 1200 minutes on most phones).  This will allow you to uses the minutes over the whole year.  It is not limited to 100 per month. If you run out of minutes, then either buy another 1 Year card / 400 Minutes, or you can buy their 60 min cards, 120 min cards, 200 min cards.   All of these will get tripled on most phones, but service will only be extended by 90 days.

If you mean you have had a basic "TracFone" for years, then you already know about the minutes.   With the Android phones they now have 3 separate buckets when you used the same old minutes cards.  You will get text, talk, AND data with the standard old minutes cards.  See posts above to see how buckets get incremented.   When one of your buckets run dry (talk or text or data) then you loss that ability for that bucket until to add another minutes card to your account.

They also have a new 'Data only' cards.  I've only seen these available on TracFone website for now.  The best one looks like $50 for 2GB of data.  These will not extend your service data at all and only your data bucket would get updated.  No extra talk or text minutes.

Thanks Paboo, I just ordered the ZTE Valet from your eBay link. I'll add the 400 minutes plus bonus to my Samsung S390g and then activate/transfer minutes/time/phone number to the Valet.

Thanks Paboo...Understood

Sorry if I'm being dense, but are you saying that if you put the new 400 minute card on your old phone, you get 1200 minutes + 250 from bonus code and 365 days of service added to whatever you have on the old phone already.  Then you can transfer all of this to the new phone and that 1450 min becomes 1450 min + 1450 text + 1450 MB, plus same for all of what you already had on the old phone?  My point is that you indeed do get triples minutes, only they have to have been tripled on the non android phone, correct?

Yes... old non Android phone has to be a triple minute phone as well. Keep forgeting that TracFone still sell a couple of double minute phones and some Peeps may still have some older TracFones.

Also... triple minutes only apply when using the card. Transfers are only one to one transfer of minutes.

Thanks Paboo! I bought the LG one because the ZTE has wifi issues and the Samsung has time zones issues according to the reviews I read and I didn't see any major complaints against the LG.

jimates said:   

I just transferred my minutes and service from a non-Android phone to an Android phone and my minutes/text/data did not get tripled.  It would have been great if it had, but then I realized people could just do an endless round of upgrading back and forth among phones, even if they were just double minute phones, and create an ever expanding pool of minutes.

It appears that ZTE Valet can also be had for 69.99 with 600 minutes (i.e., I assume tripled 200 minutes card).  This would make it cheaper, because the incremental 3*200 minutes cost only 40.00 at tracfone, but you save $50 over the phone with the larger minute allotment.  Am I missing anything here?

m2go,

the 1200 minutes is for a year, the 600 minute option is 90 days...you need to look at how many minutes you will go through and how fast to decide what is best for you

Skipping 6 Messages...
Also bought the ZTE Valet.  Had a 15%off coupon via email for downloading the eBay app.  Made the phone essentially free, since the 400 min./1 yr. card retails for $100.  Thanks for the info!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014