• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Staples have a exclusive offer (17%off) today for Motorola SB6121 
$69.99 - $11.90 (17%off YMMV) = $58.09
Click product links several times until you see coupon under rating stars

More deals in the official Staples clearance thread.
Staples
See Staples coupons that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

modem (15.91kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Makes sense to get the newer SB6141 for those with the $25 off $75 coupon.
We have been using our SB6121 without any issu... (more)

Seal (Jan. 31, 2014 @ 9:59p) |

Great deal. I've had one for over 2 years now on Comcast. I pay for 20mbps+5mbps boost, and consistently get speeds in t... (more)

BloodyInsane (Feb. 02, 2014 @ 5:16a) |

Thanks Op

ArtieLange (Feb. 02, 2014 @ 7:15a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Good deal and a good way to save $7 a month on renting a box, which is what Comcast charges.

rated:
I believe I read somewhere that Comcast is experiencing a lot of issues with this model.

rated:
Ive had this model with comcast for the last 3 years....no problems whatsoever...

rated:
I just tried the other model sb6141 and the same offer came up, so it looks like it might work on other models as well?

rated:
Nice deal on a nice cable modem.

rated:
wbrosche said:   I believe I read somewhere that Comcast is experiencing a lot of issues with this model.

I use the Zoom 5341J with comcast for 2 yrs. no problems.

About $65.

rated:
wbrosche said:   I believe I read somewhere that Comcast is experiencing a lot of issues with this model.

It's on their list of officially approved devices.  It's also the same one that I have, and it's been working fine.

rated:
  I have been using it for over a year no problem at all. I think this is a good deal though.

rated:
Buy this with 11 FAR binders on sale this week and use $30 off $150 to make the final price $28.09 + tax! Depending on state, you may have to pay tax on $121.

Link to deal on binders

rated:
I do not have issue with this modem + comcast

rated:
  Not if you follow the instruction @ Amazon review during installation.

rated:
I bought a few of the SB6141's for customers in the last 2 weeks.  I went to Staples where it was $100 and price matched Amazon's price of $80, then used the 15% coupon taking it to $66.  Just an FYI.  The 6141 is supposed to be faster.

rated:
I bought a few of the SB6141's for customers in the last 2 weeks.  I went to Staples where it was $100 and price matched Amazon's price of $80, then used the 15% coupon taking it to $66.  Just an FYI.  The 6141 is supposed to be faster.

rated:
I've been using this modem with Time Warner Cable Roadrunner and I can't believe how much faster broadband is from when I had Roadrunner 13 years ago. DOCSIS unlocked the express lane. Now if only these telecoms would reduce their pricing...

rated:
TeamAllen said:   I just tried the other model sb6141 and the same offer came up, so it looks like it might work on other models as well?
  Just curious what the difference is between the two models. The best I can figure is the cheaper one has 4 downstream channels and the more expensive one has 8. The cheaper one is thus rated at 100mb vs 300mb for the more expensive one. However does this matter if someone doesnt have internet service that is beyond 100mb down?

rated:
lavamatrix18 said:   
TeamAllen said:   I just tried the other model sb6141 and the same offer came up, so it looks like it might work on other models as well?
  Just curious what the difference is between the two models. The best I can figure is the cheaper one has 4 downstream channels and the more expensive one has 8. The cheaper one is thus rated at 100mb vs 300mb for the more expensive one. However does this matter if someone doesnt have internet service that is beyond 100mb down?

lwlee said:   So What Is The Real Difference Between SB6141 and SB6121?
The Motorola SB6141 is the latest in the SB61xx family that started with the SB6120 and then followed by the SB6121. However both Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 are essentially the same technically except for the box design and some minor variations. The SB6141 continues in that fashion. Design wise, the SB6121 and SB6141 are also essentially the same.
However there are two main things that makes the SB6141 different from the SB6121. Most important of all is that the SB6141 has twice the download capacity than that of the SB6121. This is due to the fact that the SB6141 has the ability to channel bond up to eight channel downstream instead of four for the SB6121. The other factor is that the SB6141 is not only the latest of the SB61xx family but it is also slightly cheaper than its predecessor even though it has a bigger capacity.

FWIW, I have the SB6121 with Comcast and have had no issues 2+ years.  I did notice a huge (50% +) increase on my download speeds however vs my old router.

rated:
Thanks Logician, but I am still wondering if I dont have an internet connection that is above 100mb then whatever gains from the 8 channels wouldnt be realized correct? Just trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $26.

rated:
I have Comcast but only 5.0 Mbps rated service. Any reason to upgrade my current modem?

rated:
lavamatrix18 said:   Thanks Logician, but I am still wondering if I dont have an internet connection that is above 100mb then whatever gains from the 8 channels wouldnt be realized correct? Just trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $26.
  I'm pretty sure you are correct. At least I bought my SB6121 last month based on that understanding. 

rated:
does this work with verizon fios? looks to be a coax line coming in for fios as well

rated:
Pimpee said:   does this work with verizon fios? looks to be a coax line coming in for fios as well
  No, This will not work with verizon fios, the coax line coming in for fios is for TV Program.

rated:
Great price on this. $66 was the lowest Ive seen. Green.

rated:

I've read about problems/complaints as well, but I've been running this model with Comcast (2nd highest-speed package) for years with no problems.  Very fast.  The only times I've experienced issues, it has been on Comcast side, not the modem (or my network routers, switches, nodes, etc.)

rated:
Thank you so much!

rated:
Great Deal,I am going to get this modem with Time Warner. Does anyone know of a WiFi Router that works well with this modem?

rated:
Kyoootee said:   Great Deal,I am going to get this modem with Time Warner. Does anyone know of a WiFi Router that works well with this modem?

Note that others have reported loosing some speed when switching to DOCSIS 3.  Apparently Time Warner is able to limit your speeds to what you actually pay for with their latest updates.   I have Comcast so I have had no issues, but something to look in to. 

I totally agree it is a no brainer to buy a modem rather than pay rental fees (it will pay for itself within the year), however if you have the TW standard plan (capped at 15mb/sec) and a DOCSIS 2 or 3.0 modem will not help with speeds.

rated:
I paid full price for this from Amazon a couple months ago, works great with the Cox 20Mbps plan.

rated:
I bought this for $42.39 after the $30 coupon ...so price was great.
But I am having connectivity issues with Comcast and my internet was more stable when using the SB5121..YMMV

rated:
SB6141 $79.99 shipped today on Amazon

rated:
deanbp said:   SB6141 $79.99 shipped today on Amazon
  Also at Best Buy.  That's where I got mine a couple of days ago.  My parents modem went out and I needed one.

rated:
TeamAllen said:   
  Also at Best Buy.  That's where I got mine a couple of days ago.  My parents modem went out and I needed one.

I actually bought the SB6141 for future proof since I got a $25 off $75 from eBay which brought the cost down to about $67.50 (after tax, cost of coupon minus FWCB).  I figured it was worth the extra $6 for the SB6141. 

rated:
Comcast replaced my modem 5 times in 12 months due ongoing problems. I guess if I buy one, they will blame my hardware. Good deal. Thanks

rated:
lavamatrix18 said:   
TeamAllen said:   

I actually bought the SB6141 for future proof since I got a $25 off $75 from eBay which brought the cost down to about $67.50 (after tax, cost of coupon minus FWCB).  I figured it was worth the extra $6 for the SB6141. 

Makes sense to get the newer SB6141 for those with the $25 off $75 coupon.
We have been using our SB6121 without any issue for the past 2 years.

rated:
Great deal. I've had one for over 2 years now on Comcast. I pay for 20mbps+5mbps boost, and consistently get speeds in the 30s. Install was simple. Just followed the instruction manual, then a 5 minute call to Comcast to activate the modem (gotta give them the MAC address).

I don't know the exact policy, but from what I hear, I think the issues people have with this modem stem from Comcast blacklisting devices once they change owners. They add MAC addresses to a "blacklist". If you try to use a device that's already been used by another customer, you might run into some issues. It's supposed to prevent the use of stolen modems, but it probably curbs the used modem market more than anything. Since this is a brand new modem, there should be no issues of this kind. Other than this, I've never heard of any problems with this modem except ISP-side issues.

rated:
Thanks Op

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014