• 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

price tag
Disclaimer

picture of rain bareel
Disclaimer
My local HD has the 50 gallon rain barrel for $30.03.  I am in Northern IL.  Here is the link to the item on their website.  

Home Depot
See Home Depot promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

50 gallon flat back rain barrel
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Blue drums may also be available from porta-john rental companies. The chemical used to clean and disinfect the portable... (more)

thx (Feb. 04, 2014 @ 5:28a) |

I'd pass on those..... pun intended. For real though - use food grade.

StueyG (Feb. 04, 2014 @ 5:34a) |

Good deal here just not in my area (VA) I'm looking for a couple to water a garden vs. running piping or hoses several h... (more)

prsrcokr (Feb. 04, 2014 @ 12:53p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Raise it up off the ground if you're planning on using the spigot.  I have mine on cinder blocks.

Can't even buy the stand in Placerville, CA for $30!

sideout said:   My local HD has the 50 gallon rain barrel for $30.03.  I am in Northern IL.  Here is the link to the item on their website.  

Where in illinois? What store had it? thank you.

California doesn't get rain anymore... 

water is ~$1.5 /1000 gallons in my neck of the woods. I would need to fill this 400 times to recoup my investment. Assume it rains every 5th day 9 months a year, which is a lot. You wouldn't need this on days when it rained, and likely not on the day after, either. So fill on day one, drain on day 3, fill on day 5, repeat. That's 67 fills/year. 6 years to recoup investment.

I live in the desert, so this wouldn't pay off in my lifetime.

EDIT:
Is the red because I'm incorrect or because you don't like making environmental decisions based on how it affects your wallet? If this would pay back in 1 year, I'd say jump on it. Unfortunately, the cost of gas for many people to pick this up in their truck or SUV would likely add a year or more to the payback.

RedCelicaGT said:   water is ~$1.5 /1000 gallons in my neck of the woods. I would need to fill this 400 times to recoup my investment. Assume it rains every 5th day 9 months a year, which is a lot. You wouldn't need this on days when it rained, and likely not on the day after, either. So fill on day one, drain on day 3, fill on day 5, repeat. That's 67 fills/year. 6 years to recoup investment.

You would make a HORRIBLE hippie!  

RedCelicaGT said:   I live in the desert, so this wouldn't pay off in my lifetime.

Water is life.  We may all live in the desert soon (without having to move).  http://ed.ted.com/lessons/fresh-water-scarcity-an-introduction-t...

RedCelicaGT said:   water is ~$1.5 /1000 gallons in my neck of the woods. I would need to fill this 400 times to recoup my investment. Assume it rains every 5th day 9 months a year, which is a lot. You wouldn't need this on days when it rained, and likely not on the day after, either. So fill on day one, drain on day 3, fill on day 5, repeat. That's 67 fills/year. 6 years to recoup investment.

You live in the desert and water is cheap.  So who's subsidizing it and where's it coming from? 

It's coming from lake mead and pumped to vegas. I use quite a bit of water. Have a few thousand ft^2 of grass and a pool with no cover, 30 palm trees and many tropical plants.

My huge water bills are used for capital improvements to the water system and to pay for rebates for people to turn their lawns into nice zeroscapes. I'm doing my bit to save water by using it.

would you mind telling me where you are in Illinois? I'm trying to see if I can get someone to ship it to me- my Home Depot is selling it for 130!

labboypro said:   
RedCelicaGT said:   I live in the desert, so this wouldn't pay off in my lifetime.

Water is life.  We may all live in the desert soon (without having to move).  http://ed.ted.com/lessons/fresh-water-scarcity-an-introduction-t... 

I can fight TED with TED Desertification is likely caused by poor land management by BLM and other government agencies worldwide.

http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_d...

I saw this one at the Machesney Park, Illinois store #1956.  They had about 3 in stock.  

EDIT:
Is the red because I'm incorrect or because you don't like making environmental decisions based on how it affects your wallet? If this would pay back in 1 year, I'd say jump on it. Unfortunately, the cost of gas for many people to pick this up in their truck or SUV would likely add a year or more to the payback.

A hot deal is a hot deal relative to what this might cost at everyday prices.  This is a good deal in that respect.  If the criteria for a hot deal was how economical the particular item was relative to everything else, there wouldn't be much to post about here since much of what is posted is non-essential items.

I think that is why your comment got red.

Fair enough, but this barrel doesn't have HDMI, so I'll pass.

RedCelicaGT said:   Fair enough, but this barrel doesn't have HDMI, so I'll pass.
  FINALLY an intelligent comment!

this is a great deal. I have a couple of these I bought at tractor supply for $99.99 on sale a few years ago. The only thing I don't like about these is it's difficult to use with most diverters because of the way it fills through the top. Not really an issue if you live in areas that don't freeze, but something to keep in mind otherwise.

I bought a huge barrel from a food distributor for $5 that used to contain olives. Another $6 in materials at Lowe's & a few scraps from around the house made a nice rain barrel for my garden. Plants do better with natural rain water than they do with chlorinated, fluoridated water out of the tap. This would be nice for the front of your house where aesthetics are a concern, but I'll take my homemade barrel anyday for function.

I guess they're clearing them out to make room for the new 2014 models.

Good luck cleaning the sheets of algae growth which also clogs the spigot... Though feel good to go green

now, if we can just get some rain.

The point is to collect water when it is large supply and just runs down the sewers. At that point it helps no one.

mahalos said:   Good luck cleaning the sheets of algae growth which also clogs the spigot... Though feel good to go green
  if that happens you are not using enough water

Like I said. The point is to collect water when it is large supply and just runs down the sewers. At that point it helps no one.

Emergency preparation. Holds more water than a 30-gal hot water heater and is more sanitary than filling the bathtub.
Even if its non-potable, water is still useful for flushing the toilet.

$119 in my stores and has to be ordered and shipped to store

I admit it.  I'm a little 'extreme'.  Not only in penny pinching but as a tree hugger.  I live where water is plentiful but its $$$.
I empty my rain barrel every winter.  I fill buckets and store it in the garage.  I use it to water the Christmas tree and house plants.  I use it to pre-rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, to scrub the laundry room sink, etc. 
When its below zero the water freezes in the 5 gallon buckets so I bring it in the house to keep it liquid.  When I didn't do that, the buckets cracked.
I think next year I'll empty into buckets, move the barrel into the basement then empty the buckets back into the rain barrel.
I've never had an issue w/ algae. 
I read where someone used a nylon stocking on the screen to filter out even smaller sized particles.  Anyone do anything like that?

ehow.com has answers to the algae problem....

RedCelicaGT said:   Fair enough, but this barrel doesn't have HDMI, so I'll pass.
  You're on a roll today ,huh?

wow, that is awesome good deal. too bad, not in my area. it is $119.  u very lucky.
TY, OP.

I'll be getting a few of these if fracking comes to my area.

Beware that it may be illegal in some areas to collect rainwater.
Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water

chumbucket said:   Beware that it may be illegal in some areas to collect rainwater.
Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water

Lol, come arrest me. "What are you in for?" 

"Collecting rain water."

"THIS THUG IS HARD CORE!"

Stupidest law I've ever heard of.

RedCelicaGT said:   It's coming from lake mead and pumped to vegas. I use quite a bit of water. Have a few thousand ft^2 of grass and a pool with no cover, 30 palm trees and many tropical plants.

Congratulations, Lake Mead is running dry

IgorSkovoroda said:   Emergency preparation. Holds more water than a 30-gal hot water heater and is more sanitary than filling the bathtub.
Even if its non-potable, water is still useful for flushing the toilet.

Another item to add to my hurricane preparation kit. Thanks

http://www.emptypaintcans.com/55gallonreconditionedplastictighth...
manufacturer site.
works to about $40 for drum and $90 shipping ($130)

chumbucket said:   Beware that it may be illegal in some areas to collect rainwater.

Raises some good points along with a healthy dose of tinfoil hat hysteria.

coolbreeze said:   

Lol, come arrest me. "What are you in for?" 

"Collecting rain water."

"THIS THUG IS HARD CORE!"

Stupidest law I've ever heard of.

Agree.  Even more stupid than the dumbass maryland rain tax law.

imo water heater is one of the best can be convert to catch rain water.  Keep an eye on craiglist.

Yes it does has hdmi..
Helps
Droughts
Momentary c
Inside

Good deal OP. If you can find it that's a nice looking rain barrel for cheap. For those who can't find it check Craigslist. There's usually 55G blue drums for 5-20 bucks on there and then there's the 300G cubes for usually about 100.

Skipping 6 Messages...
Good deal here just not in my area (VA) I'm looking for a couple to water a garden vs. running piping or hoses several hundred feet to the area. The gutters on my shed will work perfect for the system. Not everyone's looking at the ROI of a purchase, more finding a needed item at the best possible price!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014