• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
First post so go easy.
Just got an email that the Dell Outlet is having a sale on refurbed Venue 8 Pro 32GB model for $185 + tax + Shipping.  I was told via a chat session with a customer service agent that shipping was "supposed" to be free on all systems in the outlet and she manually adjusted me to free shipping (from $19.99!).  YMMV on that shipping part however but worth the effort to save $20 and get 3-5 day ground included at no charge. Dell Outlet 

Venue 8 Pro

• Processor: Intel Atom processor Z3740D (2MB Cache, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core)
  • Windows 8.1
  • 32 GB eMMC Hard Drive
  • 2 GB Single Channel DDR3L-RS 1600MHz
  • 8.0 inch IPS Display with HD (WXGA 1280 x 800) resolution with 10-pt capacitive touch
  • Dell Outlet Venue 8 Pro

More deals in the official Dell Home coupon thread.
Dell Consumer
See Dell Consumer promo codes that earn 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

Dell Venue 8 (39.10kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I just got mine, priced at 149+tax, and pretty happy with it. If you can see get it, I would recommend it.

amishp11 (Feb. 18, 2014 @ 10:44a) |

Did it include MS Office 2013?

xpolarx (Feb. 18, 2014 @ 2:52p) |

no, it may or may not come with one month trial of the Microsoft Office 365.

fatwally2102 (Feb. 18, 2014 @ 3:06p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Not trying to crap on your thread but I had one of these for awhile. The OS and apps are not as polished and certainly not up to the same level as what you'd find with iOS on an iPad. During the month I owned it I had to do a factory reset because of buggy driver issues. A big PITA after I had everything configured. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one of these until the OS / app situation improves dramatically. Maybe things will get better with windows 9?

rated:
Thanks, OP. You should add "Refurb" and the price of the product to the title of your post.

You can edit the post to have the title be:
Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB REFURB $185

rated:
Please put Refurbished on the Title. Thanks  (a second too late! misch beat me to it)

rated:
Added refurb, thanks for the heads up.

In response to the device itself, got my father one for Christmas and there were some issues with drivers and Windows 8.1. We rolled the device back to Windows 8. Not sure if that driver issue has been resolved yet or not but outside of that issue I would hardly say this can't compete with an iPad (not trying to start a fanboi war here). Considering this is full Windows and not RT, I think the number of non-RT apps that will work on this device handily spank the iPad though admittedly non touch optimized. Since you can boot to desktop this is a good laptop replacement when paired with a bluetooth keyboard.

rated:
I got a 64 gb one for $199 and then got 10% off and free shipping (so $179+tax) via Dell Chat.
Apparently others were able to get the 64 gb for $185 but chat said that was out and the extra price was for 'cosmetic' difference. I did see a 32 gb for $185 but spent the extra $12 after discount to get the built in space.

Good deal, replacing an original Nexus 7 with this.

rated:
Ok deal if you can get the free shipping. With tax (in CA) and the shipping costs, it comes out to $223 for me. A new one on Amazon (Prime eligible) is $275 (after tax). I'm ok with refurbs, but sometimes $50 is worth getting new.

rated:
Got my confirmation email. $179+tax for a 64 gb refurb, free shipping. I just said this via chat:
I am interested in purchasing a Venue 8 Pro Refurb tablet, I have one in my cart but I am unable to apply the 10% promotional code that I received for a new purchase, and I am also being charged for shipping - I thought that Dell Outlet offered free shipping too."

The immediate response was no problem on both, but that the 64gb was now $199 rather than $185. I took the deal. Took about ten minutes in chat, mostly waiting.

rated:
gregerst said:   Not trying to crap on your thread but I had one of these for awhile. The OS and apps are not as polished and certainly not up to the same level as what you'd find with iOS on an iPad. During the month I owned it I had to do a factory reset because of buggy driver issues. A big PITA after I had everything configured. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one of these until the OS / app situation improves dramatically. Maybe things will get better with windows 9?
  it' not the OS.  it' Dell GARBAGE!
i also bought one for 199$ on Microsoft store black friday sale.
this garbage REFUSE to charge  on desktop usb port, and REFUSE to charge on car charger!   I also have Lenovo  Miix2 tablet, it will charges on anything as long it' microUSB input!
Maybe this is why it' "refurbished" cus people return this garbage left and right!

rated:
10W USB friend...probably requires 2.1 amp charger.

rated:
Just be aware there seems to be a charger issue with the Dell Venue 8 Pro.
It effectivly bricks the device.

I'd read this before getting one.
Link 

rated:
palmettorover said:   10W USB friend...probably requires 2.1 amp charger.
  that' the problem!  even if the tablet is TURNED OFF, you still need 10w to charge!  ridiculous  Dell garbage!
you DONT see other tablets REFUSE to charge on usb port or car charger.  example.  Ipad,  Lenovo miix2 tablet.

rated:
Ipads use 10W they just charge mega slow on 5W standard

rated:
palmettorover said:   Ipads use 10W they just charge mega slow on 5W standard
  would you rather mega slow charge on 5W or   not charging at all?

rated:
netnerd said:   
  that' the problem!  even if the tablet is TURNED OFF, you still need 10w to charge!  ridiculous  Dell garbage!
you DONT see other tablets REFUSE to charge on usb port or car charger.  example.  Ipad,  Lenovo miix2 tablet.

Actually, my iPad Retina did not charge after 2.5 hours of charging in my car on a family trip.  That's a slight exaggeration - it went from 4% to 5% battery left in 2.5 hours.

And if you read the forum posts about Dell Venu 8 Pro not charging, the complaints are the exact same thing.  Only going up a few percentage battery in 2-3 hours.

Most of the people in the threads even admit that they're using a 2 amp (not 10 amp or even 5 amp) charger.

See here:
http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4...

rated:
FinancialAnalyst said:   
netnerd said:   

Actually, my iPad Retina did not charge after 2.5 hours of charging in my car on a family trip.  That's a slight exaggeration - it went from 4% to 5% battery left in 2.5 hours.

And if you read the forum posts about Dell Venu 8 Pro not charging, the complaints are the exact same thing.  Only going up a few percentage battery in 2-3 hours.

Most of the people in the threads even admit that they're using a 2 amp (not 10 amp or even 5 amp) charger.

See here:
http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4... 

that' what about when you using 1A car charger? 
what?? 10amp or 5amp?  2A= 10w
i would love someone to do a youtube showing they able to charge this Dell with car charger!  i tried two 2A car charger, it still wont charge!

rated:
If you read the post mentioned above from knowit2, the two data pins need to be shorted AND it would appear that some cables for some reason don't play nice even with the Dell charger (which shorts the two data pins). I know my HP Touchpad was the exact same, the barrel charger they came with shorted the data pins to charge at max current.  A guy came up with a process to short a car charger and then sold them as the only available option that would charge in a car.

That's why a standard car charger may not work even if it is 2.1amp.

rated:
palmettorover said:     A guy came up with a process to short a car charger and then sold them as the only available option that would charge in a car.

That's why a standard car charger may not work even if it is 2.1amp.

isnt that a Dell problem?  my car charger charges fine on my Galaxy Note3 and Lenovo miix2 tablet  except the Dell that wont charge.

rated:
Two different issues at play here. #1 some people are having difficulty charging their Dell tablets with ANY charger...including the Dell charger/cable combo it came with. Based on what I've read, it appears to be a software issue either in the BIOS or windows updates (USB driver) or a combination of the two.

#2 The issue of the tablet not charging on a standard 2amp charger is completely different because again, it requires that the charger or the cable itself short out the two middle usb data pins to trick the tablet into knowing it's a high current charger and not (for example) the USB port from your PC. My Touchpad is identical and I suspect my HP Touchpad charger will successfully charge the Dell at full 800mah (which is the max the Dell Venue Pro 8 has been confirmed to take despite the 2amp rating of the charger).

rated:
Issue #3 It seems the charger input is a USB A&B and the charger cord USB is USB A. This is causing broken pins by inserting upside down.
(I could have those letters wrong).
see this page

rated:
pitflyer said:   Got my confirmation email. $179+tax for a 64 gb refurb, free shipping. I just said this via chat:
I am interested in purchasing a Venue 8 Pro Refurb tablet, I have one in my cart but I am unable to apply the 10% promotional code that I received for a new purchase, and I am also being charged for shipping - I thought that Dell Outlet offered free shipping too."

The immediate response was no problem on both, but that the 64gb was now $199 rather than $185. I took the deal. Took about ten minutes in chat, mostly waiting.

Thanks for this.  I used the same line except for the regular Venue 8.

rated:
I have a 32 Gb Dell Venue 8 Pro and a 64 Gb Dell Venue 8 Pro.
Never had a problem with in house WALL charging. I have purchased (2) spare chargers from eBay -  "Verizon Rapid Wall Charger with 6ft. Cable" 2.1 Amp. - for under $15, they work fine.
Did all the updates on my tablets and never had a problem. Very impressed with these tablets! And getting to like Windows 8.1.
Be sure to do all the Dell updates. 

rated:
but can you charge it in the car?

rated:
i sure can

rated:
khmer6 said:   i sure can
  sure! i believe you.  no need to take a video.
just take a pic in the car showing the red light is on, then i  know it' charging.
i tried two 2A different car charger, it still wont charge!

rated:
microcenter Dell venue 8 pro brand new $199

rated:
netnerd said:   but can you charge it in the car?

No one should buy this b/c you can't charge it in the car!  Seriously, we get that you can't do it...stop cluttering up this thread with it.  99% of the people out there don't need to, myself included.  It is a GREAT alternative to an ipad and half the price (or more).  It's not RT but the full Windows 8.1 <-------------(OMG, look at that!!! A positive review)

</rant>

rated:
Didn't this product just first become available in November 2/2013? And not just over three months later they have enough quantity to sell them refurbished? when Dell sells refurbs of current model laptops and pcs they are at best 10% off, but these are 33% off of what they are asking for new. Something sounds very fishy about this to me.

rated:
I tried to charge in the car and here is what I found.
From a Verizon 12 volt lighter charger - Will show icon of a plug - but icon of battery not moving. If you click on battery icon,  a windows box opens and it says  "plugged in - NOT charging".
I then tried a 12 volt lighter to USB charger -  (with the USB cord that came with my Dell plug in home charger) - same NOT charging message.
I then tried my Dell home charger (that came with Dell) plugged in to my 12 volt inverter, plugged into 12 volt plug, WILL NOT CHARGE.
I think some people may think the Venue Pro is charging in the car because they see the plug symbol next to the battery icon appear when they plug it in. However when you click the battery icon - the message will appear " Plugged in -NOT charging.
I never have charged this in my car because the battery life is excellent. (I use for work) mostly opening and reading Windows files - so I charge every couple of days, at night at home.
But now I realize charging in the car is not happening.
I will add I really like my Dell Tablet.

Hope this helps.

rated:
GTO said:   microcenter Dell venue 8 pro brand new $199
  now that deserves some green!  cheaper than Dell when you add in that $19.99 shipping...

rated:
xbxbxbxb said:   I tried to charge in the car and here is what I found.
From a Verizon 12 volt lighter charger - Will show icon of a plug - but icon of battery not moving. If you click on battery icon,  a windows box opens and it says  "plugged in - NOT charging".
I then tried a 12 volt lighter to USB charger -  (with the USB cord that came with my Dell plug in home charger) - same NOT charging message.
I then tried my Dell home charger (that came with Dell) plugged in to my 12 volt inverter, plugged into 12 volt plug, WILL NOT CHARGE.
I think some people may think the Venue Pro is charging in the car because they see the plug symbol next to the battery icon appear when they plug it in. However when you click the battery icon - the message will appear " Plugged in -NOT charging.
I never have charged this in my car because the battery life is excellent. (I use for work) mostly opening and reading Windows files - so I charge every couple of days, at night at home.

Hope this helps.

I charge mine in my car all the time...

I took an old 2.1A fast charger (10W), spliced a 1.8K Ohm resistor across USB data +/-, and it seems to work fine.

rated:
mdburkey said:   
xbxbxbxb said:   I tried to charge in the car and here is what I found.

Hope this helps.

I charge mine in my car all the time...

I took an old 2.1A fast charger (10W), spliced a 1.8K Ohm resistor across USB data +/-, and it seems to work fine.

It's not your 1980's Radio Shack anymore!

rated:
gregerst said:   Not trying to crap on your thread but I had one of these for awhile. The OS and apps are not as polished and certainly not up to the same level as what you'd find with iOS on an iPad. During the month I owned it I had to do a factory reset because of buggy driver issues. A big PITA after I had everything configured. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one of these until the OS / app situation improves dramatically. Maybe things will get better with windows 9?

The Metro/Modern apps are basically a joke, but who really cares!

Where this tablet shines: full IE, full Firefox or Chrome, full version of Office, full Adobe Flash support, full Silverlight support, etc.

This is small, light, fast, and runs full Windows -- not Windows RT.

PowerPoint + Miracast = useful!

Having a tablet that can access our full EMR system including forms that require Word macros = excellent!
(something that CANNOT be done from either OS X Safari or iOS).

Having a tablet that can install Windows 8.1 PRO upgrade and have full AD connectivity for use with our Domain = hallelujah!

Having a decently fast Quad Core, Bay Trail  processor that can install full VLC with DirectShow filters and playback about any video format (including rips of our training DVD's off micro-SD) = wonderful.

For home users - it's ok.
For business users - it's fantastic.

The USB charging issue is a bit of a pain, but fairly easy to work around with a bit of wiring/soldering.

rated:
fiveoh said:   
netnerd said:   but can you charge it in the car?

No one should buy this b/c you can't charge it in the car!  Seriously, we get that you can't do it...stop cluttering up this thread with it.  99% of the people out there don't need to, myself included.  It is a GREAT alternative to an ipad and half the price (or more).  It's not RT but the full Windows 8.1 <-------------(OMG, look at that!!! A positive review)

</rant>

HELLOOOO???
Seriously, this is a 8 inches windows tablet!  it' meant to be portable and carry around!  
Let say you going to travel,  ooh, i'm forgot to charge the battery, let me to charge it in the car so i can use it on the airplane.  but this thing wont charge in the car!   Other tablets have no problems charging in the car!
If i want to use it at home, i'll get the 10 inches Surface Pro II !

rated:
mdburkey said:   

The USB charging issue is a bit of a pain, but fairly easy to work around with a bit of wiring/soldering.

what??  you buying a NEW tablet, it supposes to work out of the box!   yeah, this 185$ deal is for a refurbished but even BRAND NEW tablet wont charge is ridiculous!  
in the car world, if you buy a new car and having problems, that is a "lemon".  haha

rated:
netnerd said:   
mdburkey said:   

what??  you buying a NEW tablet, it supposes to work out of the box!   yeah, this 185$ deal is for a refurbished but even BRAND NEW tablet wont charge is ridiculous!  
in the car world, if you buy a new car and having problems, that is a "lemon".  haha

Looks like you are very passionate about this tablet

This should help ease the tension

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088U4YAG/ref=oh_details_o00_s... 

It is very common for devices that use USB power to work properly with some adapters and not with others

rated:
If you are unhappy with this tablet, simply send it back for a/s or get a refund.

There are many of us who think this tablet is worthy of having and "netnerd" has left too many replies on the same subject.

rated:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the charger on the Dell Venue 8 Pro, per se -- at least not one that isn't shared with almost all the other tablets of similar ilk in the same price range (i.e. Toshiba).

The major drawback is that you cannot:
1) Use cheap, off-the-shelf high current chargers
and
2) Have USB devices connected while charging.

Problem #1 is simply a matter that Dell didn't follow Apple's "standard" for a high current charger -- or anyone else's -- because there really ISN'T a standard for a high capacity 10W charger that anyone actually follows. You can't blame Dell on this one -- the problem is that basically every single manufacturer has come up with some slightly different method for signaling this and most devices and chargers totally ignore the USB Battery Charging Specification. Some devices short both data pins, some devices tie them together via a resistor (200 Ohm, quite often), Apple holds one a 2V and the other at 2.8V, etc. Dell basically picked there own resistor value to identify their charger. If you connect the two data lines across anywhere from a 1.5K-1.8K Ohm resistor, things seem to work right and it thinks it is a Dell charger.

Problem #2 is a bit tricker to address, but still doable. Take a USB hub connected via power-Y cable to the Dell (or similar) high current charger, tie a two-pole toggle switch into the data lines with the lines connected normally in one position and connected to the resistor in the other. If you then connect the cable with the resistor enabled, allow it to detect the circuit and start charging, then flip the switch, the USB lines become re-enabled and you can use the other devices on the hub. The only caveat being that in this configuration the other devices devices are stealing power from the DV8P. The simplest solution to this is to use a powered hub and wire it to connect the power lines to the DV8P *only* to the external charger (i.e. use two different wall transformers at the same time). Or, better yet, just use a 4A 5V supply instead -- then you have plenty of juice for all ports plus the DV8P. Assuming the battery charging IC in the DV8P is a standard one, then it should only pull as much current as it is capable of handling to safely charge the battery, so having extra shouldn't hurt anything.

Of course, anytime you are doing soldering and splicing, there is always the possibility of something going wrong -- so don't do it unless you know what you are doing and are willing and able to afford frying things occasionally.

If you aren't wedded to the idea of charging and having USB devices connected simultaneously, it's not that big a deal.

rated:
xpolarx said:   
netnerd said:   
mdburkey said:   

Looks like you are very passionate about this tablet

This should help ease the tension

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088U4YAG/ref=oh_details_o00_s... 

It is very common for devices that use USB power to work properly with some adapters and not with others

i already bought a 2A car charger from ATT, it wont charge.  so i assume i got a fake 2A charger.  so i wasted money on another 2A car charger, it still wont charge!  i bought this one.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KY4ACG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i already refund this tablet.   i just letting people know that this Dell tablet is garbage!   Isnt this what this forum is for?  Others tell you about bargain and i tell you what you need to know before you wasted hard earned money on it!  When i buy something Brand New, i expect it to work 100%.   Note:  I paid 299$ for Lenovo Miix2 8 inches tablet and 199$ on this Dell on Microsoft black friday sale.   I rather keep the more expensive tablet that works 100% then the Dell that only works 80% ?

Skipping 23 Messages...
rated:
no, it may or may not come with one month trial of the Microsoft Office 365.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014