• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We just finished up our contract at AT&T and have been shopping around for phones.  I just got back from Best Buy where I was able to get them to price match Amazon.com for a black and white version of the Galaxy Note 3 for $199.99 each as well as apply the $50 gift card promotion they currently have for cell phone upgrades.  We did have to extend our contract for an additional two years.  Hope this helps someone. 

Best Buy $50 gift card reservation (do this before leaving the house) that can be applied instantly to your phone purchase  https://www-ssl.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17413&type=page&promoCode=RESERVE3  Note:  You have to sign-up for each line that you will be upgrading. 

Amazon.com AT&T Galaxy Note 3 Black for $199.99  http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Black-AT/dp/B00F2SDM00/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1391721713&sr=8-10&keywords=galaxy+note+3 

Amazon.com AT&T Galaxy Note 3 White for $199.99 http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-White-AT/dp/B00F2SBJFK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391722040&sr=8-3&keywords=galaxy+note+3+white 

Best Buy Price Match Policy (bottom of page)  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/Low-Price-Guarantee/pcmcat290300050002.c?id=pcmcat290300050002 ).  Note:  In theory they could deny price matching more than one phone (of the same color) but this didn't matter to me since I took a printout of Amazon pricing for both black and white versions.  I overheard the manager say that they will only match the price of "sold by Amazon" merchandise and after looking at my printouts he approved it.

Member Summary

galaxy note 3
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Don't expect this to be the norm. Price match policy specifically excludes post paid or contracted devices. You may be lucky, but don't create a stir if denied. Also, be polite and bring up your desire to price match beforehand. If you do it afterwards and the store is unwilling to price match you have just complicated matters and can expect to be there a lengthy period of time as the employee has to call and reverse your upgrade.

A quick word of advice, goto a bestbuy mobile store in a mall or someplace that is not connected to an actual bestbuy store. At least here in Maryland, they honor Amazon prices but not in the actual stores.

It is a really galaxy note 3? I have see the clone note 3 have Samsung logo before, like http://www.001mobilephone.com/no-1-n3-phone-p.html, it can make a sumsang logo, looks like the really note 3.

Just a follow-up. I'm taking the phones back today and will be switching our old phones to T-Mobile. Best Buy failed to inform me that I'd see an "upgrade fee" of $36 per line for the privilege of extending our contract for two years. Additionally, there were about $80 worth of government and regulatory fees that they could not explain. Lastly, and the icing on the cake, is that no one explained that the shared data plan will increase from $15 per line to $40 per line after an upgrade. I specifically asked/verified with Best Buy that nothing would change on my plan or add additional cost.

I only found out about all of this because I went to add a feature to one of the lines and noticed it was listing the line as costing $40 per month. I then recorded a chat session where I questioned the $40 and was told by the AT&T rep that I'd be receiving a credit of $25 per line per month so that it would be the same rate. Unfortunately, when I checked a "customer service summary" that came in this morning all of the info he had given me was completely wrong. After an hour on the phone with customer service and retentions they simply said the other person was wrong and that I'd have to go back to Best Buy to get everything undone and I might not be able to get my old rate back. I let them know that was fine and since I couldn't trust anything that AT&T reps say would be switching to T-Mobile.

I've been pretty happy with AT&T but really felt kicked to the curb on this one. I would advise folks to get anything AT&T says in writing but unfortunately that appears to not do a lot of good . Sorry for posting a deal that could end up costing you more in the long run!

awishon said:   Just a follow-up. I'm taking the phones back today and will be switching our old phones to T-Mobile. Best Buy failed to inform me that I'd see an "upgrade fee" of $36 per line for the privilege of extending our contract for two years. Additionally, there were about $80 worth of government and regulatory fees that they could not explain. Lastly, and the icing on the cake, is that no one explained that the shared data plan will increase from $15 per line to $40 per line after an upgrade. I specifically asked/verified with Best Buy that nothing would change on my plan or add additional cost.

I only found out about all of this because I went to add a feature to one of the lines and noticed it was listing the line as costing $40 per month. I then recorded a chat session where I questioned the $40 and was told by the AT&T rep that I'd be receiving a credit of $25 per line per month so that it would be the same rate. Unfortunately, when I checked a "customer service summary" that came in this morning all of the info he had given me was completely wrong. After an hour on the phone with customer service and retentions they simply said the other person was wrong and that I'd have to go back to Best Buy to get everything undone and I might not be able to get my old rate back. I let them know that was fine and since I couldn't trust anything that AT&T reps say would be switching to T-Mobile.

I've been pretty happy with AT&T but really felt kicked to the curb on this one. I would advise folks to get anything AT&T says in writing but unfortunately that appears to not do a lot of good . Sorry for posting a deal that could end up costing you more in the long run!

There is always a $36 fee when you upgrade your phone.  You paid it the last time you upgraded too I'm sure. Thats why I can't stand subsidized phone pricing.  If you are switching to tmobile check out the nexus 5 or moto x; you can pick them up for around $300 (full price unsubsidized) and use them in conjunction with the $50/mo unlimited text & data plan tmobile offers.

awishon said:   Just a follow-up. I'm taking the phones back today and will be switching our old phones to T-Mobile. Best Buy failed to inform me that I'd see an "upgrade fee" of $36 per line for the privilege of extending our contract for two years. Additionally, there were about $80 worth of government and regulatory fees that they could not explain. Lastly, and the icing on the cake, is that no one explained that the shared data plan will increase from $15 per line to $40 per line after an upgrade. I specifically asked/verified with Best Buy that nothing would change on my plan or add additional cost.

I've been bitten by the $36 fee as well as losing my rollover minutes -- It takes a number of phone calls, but I've always managed to get it set straight.
Even though I still have unlimited data grandfathered in, I think I am going to leave ATT and port to Verizon... I currently have a line with each company, and am realizing that I do not normally use more than 2GB/month.  Verizon is about $10 cheaper/month with unlim talk and text, 2GB.  ATT is unlim data, 300min, and 200 texts. 

I've been kicked every time I've had to deal with ATT over the past 9 years -- It just isn't worth it to me anymore.

Good luck, don't get ripped off!

Oh yeah, The whole reason I looked into this thread is the temptation to upgrade from a Note 2 to a Note 3... I'm trying to wait for the Note 4

Thank you OP. The BB refunded $100 + tax. It's not a bad deal for $150 for a brand new Note 3.

I called BB online and they are refunding me the 100 plus tax too easy.

MyNameisTiM said:   A quick word of advice, goto a bestbuy mobile store in a mall or someplace that is not connected to an actual bestbuy store. At least here in Maryland, they honor Amazon prices but not in the actual stores.
  Do you mind sharing where you had success with this? I am in MD too, close to DC metro area and wanted to try this in Bethesda MD store on another phone I liked on Amazon.com. BB policy strictly says they dont price match on contracted phones though. 

TIA

I wish AT&T would set the record straight on their new MobileShare Value plan.
I spoke to 2 reps in 2 days, and both were quite helpful, both sounded very knowledgeable, yet they directly contradicted each other on upgrades 

First one said if you buy a new phone w/2-year plan, your per line cost for that line jumps from $15/month to $40/month.
The second rep said no, you may continue to upgrade with 2-year contract phones, and keep the $15/month/line charge, without having to join AT&T Next.

I was able to record neither conversation, so who knows? This thread seems to support Rep #1.

Just an FYI...I know that this seems to be focused around AT&T @ BB, but if you happen to be on Verizon and want to upgrade to the Note 3 you can do so for about $99+$30 upgrade fee+tax. The $99 is based on trading in older existing smart phone that will provide a credit of at least $100. I just did this for my mom this past weekend with a Samsung Stratosphere that normally only gets a credit of about $6 and they gave her $100.

Total came to about $183 based on the following break down.
$199 phone price
- $100 trade in credit (gift card applied toward purchase)
+ $30 upgrade fee
+ $53 CA Tax on $599 retail price of phone

We were debating about moving her over from Verizon to AT&T but the monthly plan cost didn't work out in her favor.

Free shipping?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014