• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Apple iPad 2 16GB with Wi-Fi Black - Walmart.com
Disclaimer
$100.00 off normal retail.

Link

Walmart
See Walmart coupons that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
deleted

anand8 (Feb. 19, 2014 @ 10:21p) |

can you price match to H.H. Gregg if the ipad is not available in your area?

anand8 (Feb. 19, 2014 @ 10:49p) |

Black market?  Was the iPad2 some how illgotten?

GWBush (Feb. 19, 2014 @ 11:08p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Still too expensive for a tablet that's years almost 3 years old w/ 16GB, but it must be nice to be Apple and take advantage of the sheeps...

I'm glad that low cost android tabs are flooding the market because it will put pressure on Apple to hopefully stop marking these up so much.  Who charges $100 for a 16GB flash storage upgrade?

I'm also glad there's more low cost Android garbage out there. It helps me justify why I pay more for better products like Apple.

I still use this model. It works great - I've had it for two and half years with absolutely no problems.

Is it overpriced? Arguably, but that's due to the nature of Apple products more than the retailers. It's still a good deal - you don't see Apple products discounted much. I'm sure someone more knowledgable in tablets can argue there's better models for your money, but if you specifically want an iPad, this is a good price. 

I have a friend who just retired his ipad2 for an ipad air. He found it to be getting slower and slower. At this price, It is a horrible deal. Save your money and get a discontinued ipad4 (New ipad) for $100 more, or an ipad air for $150 more.

If you purchase an iPad 2 instead of an iPad Air, you are losing out on:

Processor speed: Going from a 64-bit A7 to a dual-core A5 is a huge decrease in performance
Display quality: Going from a 2048×1536 Retina display at 236ppi to a 1024×768 display at 132ppi
FaceTime (front-facing) camera: Going from a 1.2MP camera to a low resolution VGA camera
Rear camera: Going from a 5MP iSight camera with 1080p recording to a 960×720 featureless camera with 720p recording
Siri Voice Assistant: This feature is not available at all on the iPad 2
Power and data port: Going from a Lightning adapter to the older 30-pin connector that no one makes accessories for anymore
Future-Proofing: the next iOS upadate will undoubtedly leave the ipad2 in the dust, much like iOS 6 did with the ipad 1st generation

You are welcome in advance.

190rev said:   I have a friend who just retired his ipad2 for an ipad air. He found it to be getting slower and slower. At this price, It is a horrible deal. Save your money and get a discontinued ipad4 (New ipad) for $100 more, or an ipad air for $150 more.

Processor speed: Going from a 64-bit A7 to a dual-core A5 is a huge decrease in performance
Display quality: Going from a 2048×1536 Retina display at 236ppi to a 1024×768 display at 132ppi
FaceTime (front-facing) camera: Going from a 1.2MP camera to a low resolution VGA camera
Rear camera: Going from a 5MP iSight camera with 1080p recording to a 960×720 featureless camera with 720p recording
Power and data port: Going from a Lightning adapter to the older 30-pin connector that no one makes accessories for anymore
Future-Proofing: the next iOS upadate will undoubtedly leave the ipad2 in the dust, much like iOS 6 did with the ipad 1st generation

Not everyone needs/wants/desires the latest and greatest.  I'm still happy with my iPad 1 which still does everything I want it to do.  I can read books, surf the net, retrieve every published aviation chart and plate for my airplane, watch movies and TV, and several other things without missing any of the things you mentioned.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Scumbag, for real?
cool story about your ipad 1. But that isn't the point. This is fatwallet, and my post was simply providing information for the decision at hand. If you think spending $300 on outdated tech like the ipad2 is a great deal, then your aviation charts have sorely misguided you. Since you aren't into the "latest and greatest," then you would realize there are a ton of other wiser alternatives than spending 3 Benjamins on this tablet.

Heck, even the ipad2 is going for $280 refurbed. Even though that's a better deal it still isn't worth it.

190rev said:   I have a friend who just retired his ipad2 for an ipad air. He found it to be getting slower and slower. At this price, It is a horrible deal. Save your money and get a discontinued ipad4 (New ipad) for $100 more, or an ipad air for $150 more.

+1  

Great deal, these work well & don't fail much.

We have ipad1, ipad2, ipad3 and now ipad air.
All working, mainly for web surfing.

pokumon said:   Still too expensive for a tablet that's years almost 3 years old w/ 16GB, but it must be nice to be Apple and take advantage of the sheeps...

i went down the android tablet route before. twice. first Samsung then Asus. my first android tablet was the galaxy 10.1, the alleged "ipad killer" that came out like 2 months after the ipad 2. that thing was atrociously slow. the web browser filled up the ram within minutes of browsing then entire tablet became unusable. i had to fire up the task killer every 15 minutes, like clockwork. and that's with flash not installed on the tablet. when Samsung released the touchwiz update 1 month later, the tablet because completely inoperable. then there was another update a few months later that didn't help one bit. after that Samsung never released another update for the tablet. i sold the galaxy tab and got an ipad 2 which still gets updates TO THIS DAY!!! nearly 3 years later. never had a problem with it. applications run smooth as butter.

also at some point i was given an asus transformer prime by a friend who tried to convince that android is better than apple. it was crap. not as bad as the Samsung but still crap. no one developed any apps for it. the wired magazine app only existed for iOS. cisco VPN software (which i used for work) only existed on iOS. my car's USB interface only worked with iOS. and i don't blame them. if i was a developer or car maker, i wouldn't ever waste my time trying to integrate something that doesn't work into my product because then i would have loads of stupid people calling customer service asking why their shitty tablets and phones don't work right.

the asus transformer prime is still laying around in my basement somewhere right now collecting dust. i'd throw it in the garbage if i didn't feel so bad about adding to out ongoing landfill problem.

Good story, but Cisco Anyconnect for Android has been around since July 2011. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/a...

I don't download apps for specific magazines, not sure why anyone would. Also don't know anyone that would plug in a 10 inch tablet to use in the car. Where do you put it, on the passenger seat?

jcantanixon said:   Good story, but Cisco Anyconnect for Android has been around since July 2011. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/a... 

I don't download apps for specific magazines, not sure why anyone would. Also don't know anyone that would plug in a 10 inch tablet to use in the car. Where do you put it, on the passenger seat?

you did your research, you even took the time to dig up some instructions. too bad you didn't actually use any of the first android releases of anyconnect and webex on a tablet. it was like every other android app at the time. it was just the phone app, blown up and completely unusable.

if you haven't seen Wired's magazine app, you are missing out. try it out sometime and you'll see what i mean. as for the car integration, i was referring the the android in general. car manufacturers don't waste time with it. nissans (for example) can't communicate with windows mobile or android at all via USB. they only communicate with apple products. luxury cars on the other hand integrate so well with apple products that some even have Siri buttons now. but no S voice buttons.
pokumon said:   I'm glad that low cost android tabs are flooding the market because it will put pressure on Apple to hopefully stop marking these up so much.

yes, thank god for that. what would we do without all that junk that will stop working in 6 months and become landfill.

Seems like a bad idea to pay $300+tax for 3 year old device which barely works on iOS7. This device will be pretty much unusable in next 1-2 years.

Why not put $100 extra and buy later versions as you probably want to keep it for next 2-3 years?

gregerst said:   I'm also glad there's more low cost Android garbage out there. It helps me justify why I pay more for better products like Apple.
  I am so glad that I own Apple stock and Android tablet. My portfolio loves people like you - keep giving, please!

I agree this is maybe not a great deal for an ipad 2. Maybe $249. That being said i have and ipad 2 and i love it. Its quick and does not lag. Works fine for me on ios7. For a 3 year old tablet its great. Apple did it too good when they put this baby out. Thats why you dont even need an ipad 3 or 4..... This baby is great. Now the ipad air thats new and the time to step up. If you never used an ipad 2 thn you cant judge it because it can compete well with todays tablets. Worth $250 new easy... $300 not so much... Add the $180 and get the ipad air and enjoy that for another 3 years. Android tablets are great and i have programmed a few but i still choose the ipad jailbroken for my own use.

pokumon said:   Still too expensive for a tablet that's years almost 3 years old w/ 16GB, but it must be nice to be Apple and take advantage of the sheeps...

I'm glad that low cost android tabs are flooding the market because it will put pressure on Apple to hopefully stop marking these up so much.  Who charges $100 for a 16GB flash storage upgrade?

I do see Apple products as relatively expensive, but I also see them as without a doubt the cleanest, simplest to use, and most reliable made.  If one has an iPhone or IMac they seamlessly synchronize contacts, calendars, and mail.  They backup and restore much more easily than any other device, and though they can certainly be damaged like any device, the build quality is head and shoulders above the fray.  So calling their customers sheep seems ignorant to me.  I might call them price insensitive as a Nexus does most if the same thing albeit in a more complicated (arguably more versatile) way for about 30% less but I have had to open Nexus devices to reconnect the loose battery connections and replace screens that had their digitizers fail etc, which are things you just don't see happen with iPads.  The android user experience and google play store us just not as simple as the Apple experience.  Microsoft offerings are even more overpriced and clunky as hell ( physically and in terms of the operating system) but do satisfy the needs of those that want to run the same app they might run on a PC.  Nice that there are alternatives that fill all needs but it is not just sheep that have made the iPad so much more successful than any of the competitor products year after year.

terroralpha said:   
jcantanixon said:   Good story, but Cisco Anyconnect for Android has been around since July 2011. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/a... 

you did your research, you even took the time to dig up some instructions. too bad you didn't actually use any of the first android releases of anyconnect and webex on a tablet. it was like every other android app at the time. it was just the phone app, blown up and completely unusable.

if you haven't seen Wired's magazine app, you are missing out. try it out sometime and you'll see what i mean. as for the car integration, i was referring the the android in general. car manufacturers don't waste time with it. nissans (for example) can't communicate with windows mobile or android at all via USB. they only communicate with apple products. luxury cars on the other hand integrate so well with apple products that some even have Siri buttons now. but no S voice buttons.

Actually, I did, and still do use Anyconnect for Android (now on version 3.0 on my Nook HD).  I don't know what you mean about it being blown up and unusable.  It doesn't require much interaction.  Open app, enter password.  It runs in the background and allows me to connect to the office LAN.  Webex?  (shrug)  Never tried it on a tablet, but if you prefer the iPad implementation then you should've used that as your example instead of Cisco VPN.  I've used Anyconnect almost every day for the last couple of years with no issues so your comment was 180 degrees out from my personal experience.

For cars, yes I completely agree, iPod integration is much better and more widespread.  I have an iPod in my car and it works well.  However, this thread is about an iPad deal so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

OT - I'm tech agnostic.  I have various Android and Apple devices, as well as Apple and Google stock.  Competition is good for the consumer.

fatgempler said:   

I do see Apple products as relatively expensive, but I also see them as without a doubt the cleanest, simplest to use, and most reliable made.  If one has an iPhone or IMac they seamlessly synchronize contacts, calendars, and mail.  They backup and restore much more easily than any other device, and though they can certainly be damaged like any device, the build quality is head and shoulders above the fray.  So calling their customers sheep seems ignorant to me.  I might call them price insensitive as a Nexus does most if the same thing albeit in a more complicated (arguably more versatile) way for about 30% less but I have had to open Nexus devices to reconnect the loose battery connections and replace screens that had their digitizers fail etc, which are things you just don't see happen with iPads.  The android user experience and google play store us just not as simple as the Apple experience.  Microsoft offerings are even more overpriced and clunky as hell ( physically and in terms of the operating system) but do satisfy the needs of those that want to run the same app they might run on a PC.  Nice that there are alternatives that fill all needs but it is not just sheep that have made the iPad so much more successful than any of the competitor products year after year.

No, anyone buying a device that is 3 years and 3 generations old for ~68% of what a brand new one costs is just a sheep.

Apple, Android, Asus, whatever.  Technology changes quickly.  You may *think* you don't need a newer iPad, but even simple web browsing is going to get slower and slower as websites and the technology that powers them requires more CPU,GPU,RAM, etc to render correctly.

Anyone thinking this is a deal or good buy at $299 needs to rethink their decision.

If you are going to buy an iPad with this screen resolution and this CPU, go with the first generation iPad Mini.  At least the first gen Mini should be functional longer into the future as it has the same internals but better performance given it only needs to run a device 2/3 of the size.

I agree that the $399 second generation iPad mini is a better performer than this iPad, but the $299 first generation mini has the same processor as the iPad 2 being discussed in this thread.  And you can't ignore the fact that a mini is smaller and so is a very different machine.  The mini is better for book reading in my opinion, all around more portable, but the smaller screen makes it less desirable for surfing the web or typing messages. 

Another thought I had about the complaint of the high cost of Apple products is the fact that they hold their resale value unlike any other brand. Even Microsoft has slashed the prices of their tablets 50% after not even being on the market for a year, and that is for a new product. Contrast that to iPad, this unit that was originally $499 when first released 3 years ago is selling for $299. So if you like to buy new products often then the seemingly expensive Apple products will actually cost you less because you can sell them for close to what you paid for them if you don't wait too long.

I enjoy my Apple products, but it's time for the iPad 2 to go. At Sam's Club the other day I witnessed a poor woman struggling to decide between the $399 iPad 2 (yep, that's the right price) and the $479 iPad Air. I can't believe there's normally only an $80-100 price difference between these two drastically different models.

My wife's Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2013 have charging problem even after 1 replacement. Her little sister's Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" batter is out after one year. It won't last more than 30 minutes of idle time. Nice part about it is I can repair it. However, My iPad 2 haven't failed and still working like new. Never have a problem with it. Gave it to my dad because it is portable and he love how easy it is to use. Got my wife an iPad Air to replace her Samsung Galaxy Note because it was won't charge like it suppose to and it got adware that I have to periodically remove for her. I figured I gave the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" a try when it was on sale for $140 at bestbuy over the holidays. So laggy. I don't mind it being slow to load, but when I have to press the screen a few times to get it to load something really ticked me off. Back to bestbuy it went. So I bought an iPad mini with retina. I figured spending a little more on this little toy was better for me because it is not too big. I loved it. All three iPads that I've owned works well. No problem. Maybe I have been lucky with the Apple products and not so lucky with Samsung products. But Apple seems to work well for me. Btw, I don't mind paying the premium to not have to worry about the little things here and there.

For those of you who can "afford" the extra $100 or so to buy the latest and great, then by all means go for it. For the lazy or not-so-tech savvy folks, buying an iPad 2 maybe a better choice.

I just swapped my iPad 2 (of 3 years) for an iPad Air ($499)

Went to Staples. Price matched HH.Gregg's $449 price. ($449)

Used my $120 in rewards (ink). ($329)

Got my $25 gift card rebate for their tablet promo. ($304).

5% back in rewards. ($289)

Sold my iPad 2 on craigslist for 250 cash. ($39)

iPad Air in Space Gray... very nice!

edit: Ipad 2 was still working perfectly! Just wanted to upgrade before black market price dropped.

deleted

Joe328 said:   I just swapped my iPad 2 (of 3 years) for an iPad Air ($499)

edit: Ipad 2 was still working perfectly! Just wanted to upgrade before black market price dropped.

can you price match to H.H. Gregg if the ipad is not available in your area?

Joe328 said:   I just swapped my iPad 2 (of 3 years) for an iPad Air ($499)

Black market?  Was the iPad2 some how illgotten?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014