Solar powered lamp @Dollar tree

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Dollar Tree, Inc.: Floral Supplies, Party Supplies, Cleaning Supplies
Disclaimer
Just got back from DT, bought this lamp and thought to share with others. It is actually pretty nice for buck.
LINK
7˝" Solar-Powered Table Lamp – Recharges during the day, turns on automatically at night

Member Summary

Solar powered lamp
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks, OP!

stranjbrew (Feb. 11, 2014 @ 7:55p) |

FWIW, I looked into doing a NiMH battery bank for a bicycle trip, Some can handle a c/8 charging rate indefinitely! or 1... (more)

Photowhit (Feb. 17, 2014 @ 8:45p) |

"casa" is spanish for "house." deia is a village on the island of mallorca. he obviously builds a house in this village ... (more)

morecowbell (Feb. 17, 2014 @ 9:27p) |

The unit has an on/off switch on the top.

Runs 3 LEDs off a rechargeable 1.2V AAA cell
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Do you know the power output of the solar panel ? Or the size of the battery holding the charge? wanted to see if it could be modified for other things...

I asked because I have one of the handcranked flashlights   The crank charges a 3.6 v  NiCad  cell .  With the resent power outage it could be modified to charge AAA, or AA  cells     If the panels could do the same then a few together could provide a charge for Cell phones or back up battery.   I also have the Itrent mirror  uses a Micro usb port to charge  with 2 usb outputs  The micro usb port is failing If I'm going to fix it I could wire in panels and a mini usb port   

wow. great deal OP

bb6619 said:   Do you know the power output of the solar panel ? Or the size of the battery holding the charge? wanted to see if it could be modified for other things...
  Surely the same as the 97 cent ones WalMart had for outside

flyhighutah said:   Just got back from DT, bought this lamp and thought to share with others. It is actually pretty nice for buck.
LINK 
7˝" Solar-Powered Table Lamp – Recharges during the day, turns on automatically at night

I saw trhoise the other day, every register had a bunch of them, I will go back today for a real look at them.
I am also going for those great always deal on hand flour tortillas they have I make casadeias every day.

yesidonoitall said:   
bb6619 said:   Do you know the power output of the solar panel ? Or the size of the battery holding the charge? wanted to see if it could be modified for other things...
  Surely the same as the 97 cent ones WalMart had for outside

useful information if I had gone to WalMart  at the time

How many hours of light output do you get?

I just picked up a screen door for my submarine, next I was looking for a solar powered flashlight to use when the power went out, but this lamp might do, thanks OP.

yesidonoitall said:   
flyhighutah said:   Just got back from DT, bought this lamp and thought to share with others. It is actually pretty nice for buck.
LINK 

I saw trhoise the other day, every register had a bunch of them, I will go back today for a real look at them.
I am also going for those great always deal on hand flour tortillas they have I make casadeias every day.

Quesadilla...

FuriousGeorge11 said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
LINK 

Quesadilla...

Gud spellur! lol

I asked because I have one of the handcranked flashlights   The crank charges a 3.6 v  NiCad  cell .  With the resent power outage it could be modified to charge AAA, or AA  cells     If the panels could do the same then a few together could provide a charge for Cell phones or back up battery.   I also have the Itrent mirror  uses a Micro usb port to charge  with 2 usb outputs  The micro usb port is failing If I'm going to fix it I could wire in panels and a mini usb port   

Let's assume the PV panel area is 3 square inches from the picture and given height dimensions. Generally, large house mounted panels have a collection/square foot of somewhere around 10W/sqare foot. This panel probably isn't near as efficient as high quality residential panels. 1/8W power output would be pushing it.

The iphone has a 6Wh (1500mAh) battery. This panel would take about 48 hours to charge an iphone assuming the phone is off while charging. 

The battery is a single AAA.  I figure that when it runs out, I can replace it with a NiMH like I do with my outdoor solar lights.

FuriousGeorge11 said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
LINK 

Quesadilla...

How you spell it is irelavant
It is always a flower tortea with melted cheez

Can this lamp be used outdoors on a deck?

yesidonoitall said:   
FuriousGeorge11 said:     Quesadilla...

Going far afield here but... Not true. More traditionally made with "the corn ones," as Lalo Guerrero called them.

yesidonoitall said:   
LINK 

How do you find recipes?

vatech1999 said:   
yesidonoitall said:   

How do you find recipes?

That's easy. Just google "mexican food with flour tortilla, cheese and fried vegetables inside".

For other commonly available mexican fast food items just answer a few binary questions and do similar searches:
1. corn or flour tortilla?
2. open or closed?
3. if closed, is it rolled up or folded?
etc.

You don't have to remember any more names, or let your spelling skills hold you back.

I bought a few, perfect for setting in window where I know I can get to if lights go out, with snow days happening in south
Cheap way to be prepared
Not that I don't already have 3 packs of ten led flashlights from hd deal but better safe than sorry

omarECD said:   Can this lamp be used outdoors on a deck?
  The wind can tip them easily, even bumping the table can.

Great find, tkx

yesidonoitall said:   
FuriousGeorge11 said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
LINK 

Quesadilla...

moron...

peas said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
FuriousGeorge11 said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
LINK 

Quesadilla...

moron...

What is a moron?

bb6619 said:   I asked because I have one of the handcranked flashlights   The crank charges a 3.6 v  NiCad  cell .  With the resent power outage it could be modified to charge AAA, or AA  cells     If the panels could do the same then a few together could provide a charge for Cell phones or back up battery.
Please don't.   NiCd and NiMH cells bulge and outgas hydrogen when overcharged.  If the hydrogen gas were to collect someplace, you'd have a fire danger and even the possibility of explosion.  Lithium batteries like in cell phones are even worse.  They will catch fire and explode when overcharged, or if you try to charge an over-discharged cell, and their voltage gradient is so gradual it's difficult to know when to shut off charging even with a regulated 5V/12V power source.

All of these batteries are supposed to be recharged by electronics which constantly monitor the cell voltage, and shut off the charging current when the voltage exceeds a certain amount.  Recharging it with an unregulated power source like a hand crank or a solar panel is just asking for trouble.  If you really want to homebrew something like this to charge batteries, pick up a 12V or 5V (USB) voltage regulator and connect that to your solar panel.  Then buy a pre-packaged battery charger which takes 12V or 5V.  The battery protection circuitry in the charger will prevent an explosion.  And the voltage regulator will insure the charger functions properly.

These are not very bright. Cheap LED flashlights give out more light. Ours last maybe 2 hours if we are lucky. Suggest you buy a 10-20 LED flashlight for around $3 instead which will give out much better light, even if you have to fool around with AA's. We used these as lights in a Christmas Tree Village. Works for that, But I would not rely on them for a power outage. By the way we charge ours on a window sill in the California sun, so they should be fully charged each day.

Bump!

flyhighutah said:   Bump!
  Ouchie

although it's not that bright,i will buy one for my bedroom decoration,it looks so graceful

omarECD said:   Can this lamp be used outdoors on a deck?
  no, you will be tossed in jail

I bought a bunch of these last summer at Dollar Tree for camping. They're not very bright, but they are perfect for next to our beds plus a few on the tables. Also get the cheap solar lights that go in the ground and put them on either side of tent entrance.

Solandri said:   
bb6619 said:   I asked because I have one of the handcranked flashlights   The crank charges a 3.6 v  NiCad  cell .  With the resent power outage it could be modified to charge AAA, or AA  cells     If the panels could do the same then a few together could provide a charge for Cell phones or back up battery.
Please don't.   NiCd and NiMH cells bulge and outgas hydrogen when overcharged.  If the hydrogen gas were to collect someplace, you'd have a fire danger and even the possibility of explosion.  Lithium batteries like in cell phones are even worse.  They will catch fire and explode when overcharged, or if you try to charge an over-discharged cell, and their voltage gradient is so gradual it's difficult to know when to shut off charging even with a regulated 5V/12V power source.

All of these batteries are supposed to be recharged by electronics which constantly monitor the cell voltage, and shut off the charging current when the voltage exceeds a certain amount.  Recharging it with an unregulated power source like a hand crank or a solar panel is just asking for trouble.  If you really want to homebrew something like this to charge batteries, pick up a 12V or 5V (USB) voltage regulator and connect that to your solar panel.  Then buy a pre-packaged battery charger which takes 12V or 5V.  The battery protection circuitry in the charger will prevent an explosion.  And the voltage regulator will insure the charger functions properly.

That's a bit of a stretch, verging on "knowing just enough to be dangerous". NiMH cells can be trickle charged indefinitely at C/300. These tiny solar cells barely put out that much current in real-world conditions. The sun doesn't shine 24/7 which further limits how much energy can be put into the cell.
That being the case, using these cells to charge batteries would take forever unless you're at the equator at high noon all the time. There are much more practical ways to charge cells.

digitaldoc said:   
The battery is a single AAA.  I figure that when it runs out, I can replace it with a NiMH like I do with my outdoor solar lights.

I have some outdoor solar lights with NiCds (labeled 450 mAh) that don't hold a charge anymore (stay on for under an hour at dusk).  I was also considering replacing NiCd with NiMH.  Just read the page peas linked to (thanks!) , which says that (only) NiCd cells can ordinarily be charged indefinitely at C/10 without damage but NiMH are more touchy (actually, it provides much more info).
Question:  Which NiMH (brand/model) have you swapped in, and how (long) have they lasted?  (Hours per night and months in service)
peas said:    <Some stuff that makes me think this is a good idea; I should get reasonable life from NiMH as the overcharging should be manageable in this situation.>

[Edit: Idea:  If I use NiMH, I could tape over a bit of the panel at a time 'till they only seem to be getting enough to charge 'em, not more.]

elvey said:   
digitaldoc said:   

I have some outdoor solar lights with NiCds (labeled 450 mAh) that don't hold a charge anymore (stay on for under an hour at dusk).  I was also considering replacing NiCd with NiMH.  Just read the page peas linked to (thanks!) , which says that (only) NiCd cells can ordinarily be charged indefinitely at C/10 without damage but NiMH are more touchy (actually, it provides much more info).
Question:  Which NiMH (brand/model) have you swapped in, and how (long) have they lasted?  (Hours per night and months in service)
peas said:    <Some stuff that makes me think this is a good idea; I should get reasonable life from NiMH as the overcharging should be manageable in this situation.>

[Edit: Idea:  If I use NiMH, I could tape over a bit of the panel at a time 'till they only seem to be getting enough to charge 'em, not more.]

The chances of overcharging any decent NiMH AA with tiny solar cells is remote. Do the math: solar insolation is roughly 5-6 hrs during the summer. That's if you took the peaks & valleys, all the curves in the graph, and smashed it into a rectangle. Remember calculus? That's what it's used for.  With the solar constant being 1361 W/m2, that's rougly a max of 8 kWh/m2 of energy during the summer.
Transfer that to the lamp whose panel looks approx 1 sq in, or 0.00064516 sq m, and probably with an efficiency under 10%.
8000 Wh/m2 * 0.00064516 m2 * 0.10 = 0.51 Wh

An Eneloop AA rated at 2 Ah (2000 mAh) and 1.2v stores approx 2.4 Wh.  So, it'd take almost 5 days in full summertime sunlight, perfectly aligned, and no shade, to fill an Eneloop. Overcharging isn't a factor at all. And that's why your solar lights' NiCds are only 450mAh.  There's no need for any more storage.

Also since the solar lights run immediately after they're charged, self-discharge is a non-factor. You could buy the cheapest, crappiest high-discharge NiMH and they'd perform about as well as the more expensive Eneloop in your application.

Thanks, OP!

FWIW, I looked into doing a NiMH battery bank for a bicycle trip, Some can handle a c/8 charging rate indefinitely! or 1/8th of their capacity in amp hours, not likely you would want to string together enough of these to reach a 1/8th charging rate for a 2.8 Ah 1.2 volt cell. NiMH dissipate the extra energy as heat so some caution should be used, but not as much as shorting them, as they can release their energy very rapidly! I did that experiment when shorting out a spare battery pack for a flash in my pocket (against some change)

FuriousGeorge11 said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
LINK 

Quesadilla...

"casa" is spanish for "house." deia is a village on the island of mallorca. he obviously builds a house in this village every day  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014