Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

brake pads
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
FYI...........................I bought from sub seller.   FREE SHIPPING

richps1961 (Mar. 19, 2014 @ 8:25p) |

DAMN.....I forgot my Fatwallet " Cash Back"..

richps1961 (Mar. 19, 2014 @ 8:28p) |

Elcheapothegreat (Mar. 20, 2014 @ 1:53a) |

*After mail-in. To submit for your rebate, please go to www dot wagnertqrebate dot com (The FW redirect messes the link up) To complete rebate processing, the online rebate form must be completed and submitted along with the original receipt validating qualifying Wagner ThermoQuiet or Wagner ThermoQuiet CeramicNXT product purchased. Wagner SevereDuty™and QuickStop® products do not qualify. Maximum product rebate is $30 ($15 front set and/or $15 rear set). We reserve the right to pay rebate via check, PayPal, or prepaid card. The Visa prepaid card is not redeemable for cash or usable at any ATM. Terms and Conditions apply to the card. Subject to applicable law, a monthly maintenance fee of $3 (USD) applies, but is waived for the first six months after the card is issued. Your card is issued by MetaBank™. Offer valid 2/24/14 through 5/31/14. Rebate submissions must be postmarked within 14 days of purchase. Only one rebate per person and/or household address (except two in Rhode Island). Allow 10 weeks for delivery of rebate following the date of processing of all required documentation at Program Headquarters. Valid in 50 United States and D.C. Excludes Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and other U.S. territories. Void where prohibited. This offer cannot be combined or used with any other brake rebate offer, promotion, coupon or discount card. For alternate means of redemption call 1-855-278-7987.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

From rebate form: "Wagner SevereDuty™and QuickStop® products do not qualify. Maximum product rebate is $30
($15 front set and/or $15 rear set)"

Forgive me for the dumb question since I never change break pad by myself. Is this good for all sedan and minivan like Honda Odyssey? Also, do people normally buy two in order to change both front breakpads at the same time?

Yes, and Yes. 

anaheimhill said:   Forgive me for the dumb question since I never change break pad by myself. Is this good for all sedan and minivan like Honda Odyssey? Also, do people nirmally buy two in order to change both front breakpads at the same time?
The part numbers should be specific to your Honda Odyssey.  Look them up on Wagner's website to find your part number and order based on that.  Check the specifications, but normally when you buy a package of front brake pads it's a set of 4 pads.  It is recommend to change all front pads at the same time so they wear evenly.  

Since you have never changed pads before, ask a mechanic friend for help, research online on forums for tips and videos, and buy either the Manufacturer's, Haynes, or Chilton's repair guide for your model year Odyssey.  They will not only be able to help you change your pads, but also help inspect and diagnose other issues that may be present. Brakes are one of the most vital safety components of your vehicle and you want to make sure you do it 100% correctly.

EDIT;  And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use the emergency jack to hold up your car.  Spend a couple extra bucks and get a good set of jack stands to set the front of your van on.  Too many horror stories about jacks failing and taking limbs off

anaheimhill said:   Forgive me for the dumb question since I never change break pad by myself. Is this good for all sedan and minivan like Honda Odyssey? Also, do people normally buy two in order to change both front breakpads at the same time?
  One set includes four pads, two pads for each side.

horspowr1001 said:   
anaheimhill said:   Forgive me for the dumb question since I never change break pad by myself. Is this good for all sedan and minivan like Honda Odyssey? Also, do people nirmally buy two in order to change both front breakpads at the same time?
The part numbers should be specific to your Honda Odyssey.  Look them up on Wagner's website to find your part number and order based on that.  Check the specifications, but normally when you buy a package of front brake pads it's a set of 4 pads.  It is recommend to change all front pads at the same time so they wear evenly.  

Since you have never changed pads before, ask a mechanic friend for help, research online on forums for tips and videos, and buy either the Manufacturer's, Haynes, or Chilton's repair guide for your model year Odyssey.  They will not only be able to help you change your pads, but also help inspect and diagnose other issues that may be present. Brakes are one of the most vital safety components of your vehicle and you want to make sure you do it 100% correctly.

Very good advice!

ffd55 said:   Yes, and Yes. 

Not true.  It says these are a front "set" and a rear "set".  Also the picture shows 4 pads meaning two sets of two. From what I can tell, you just need one set for the front, and one for the back.  

Thanks for the heads up on the rebate. The pads were cheaper for me at Advance Auto Parts with the coupon.

anaheimhill said:   Forgive me for the dumb question since I never change break pad by myself. Is this good for all sedan and minivan like Honda Odyssey? Also, do people normally buy two in order to change both front breakpads at the same time?

Another note, often the front pads need to be replaced before the back pads as they absorb the majority of the inertia when stopping. 

lavamatrix18 said:   

Another note, often the front pads need to be replaced before the back pads as they absorb the majority of the inertia when stopping. 

Be careful of making this assumption on a Honda. I have a 2003 Honda CRV and the rear brakes tend to go out before the fronts and the non indicator (inner) disc pad is the one that wears out first (you get no warning your brakes and wearing out, so you'll need to replace or resurface the rotor). Talked to Honda service and they verified this too. Also, be sure to check the Odyssey as Honda tends to use a combination disc/drum unit in the rear. The drum is used only for the emergency brake, so don't be surprised if you find this on your van.

Just a word of caution regarding these brake pads. In my experience, these squeak horribly. I have a mechanic friend that absolutely hates this pad. Unfortunately, I found this out after purchasing them. He said that this product cost him a small fortune in unhappy customers and re-do's. He warned that if I decided to install them, they WILL squeak. Well, he was right. It didn't happen immediately, but within a few days they squeaked as expected. In all fairness, I must say that they stop just fine and the price is good but that is all negated by amount of annoying noise they produce. I would not use these again if I got them for free.

dimsumkid said:   
lavamatrix18 said:   

Be careful of making this assumption on a Honda. I have a 2003 Honda CRV and the rear brakes tend to go out before the fronts and the non indicator (inner) disc pad is the one that wears out first (you get no warning your brakes and wearing out, so you'll need to replace or resurface the rotor). Talked to Honda service and they verified this too. Also, be sure to check the Odyssey as Honda tends to use a combination disc/drum unit in the rear. The drum is used only for the emergency brake, so don't be surprised if you find this on your van.

I have a 2007 Odyssey and can confirm the front and rear pads are straight-forward disc replacements. I believe the e-brake is a drum unit, but my manual and OdyClub.com doesn't indicate there is much to worry about here compared to some e-brake drums that require shims inserts with some regularity. Some vehicles burn up rear pads quickly because of modern stability-assist systems, especially in sports cars. My OEM pads on front and rear both have slots that are visible (a little challenging to see the inner ones, but you can).

Thanks OP. Brakes coming due both front and rear on my Honda Odyssey. Bought at RockAuto though and saved about $6 total on both sets. Use code 1955120017197685 for 5% discount there (just put it in the "how did you hear about us" box)

Elcheapothegreat said:   Just a word of caution regarding these brake pads. In my experience, these squeak horribly. I have a mechanic friend that absolutely hates this pad. Unfortunately, I found this out after purchasing them. He said that this product cost him a small fortune in unhappy customers and re-do's. He warned that if I decided to install them, they WILL squeak. Well, he was right. It didn't happen immediately, but within a few days they squeaked as expected. In all fairness, I must say that they stop just fine and the price is good but that is all negated by amount of annoying noise they produce. I would not use these again if I got them for free.
  So the pads are not thermoQUIET? That's bad, because brake squeaking is really annoying...  

giselmey said:   Elcheapothegreat said:   Just a word of caution regarding these brake pads. In my experience, these squeak horribly. I have a mechanic friend that absolutely hates this pad. Unfortunately, I found this out after purchasing them. He said that this product cost him a small fortune in unhappy customers and re-do's. He warned that if I decided to install them, they WILL squeak. Well, he was right. It didn't happen immediately, but within a few days they squeaked as expected. In all fairness, I must say that they stop just fine and the price is good but that is all negated by amount of annoying noise they produce. I would not use these again if I got them for free.
  So the pads are not thermoQUIET? That's bad, because brake squeaking is really annoying...  

I could not agree more!

These are probably better than the Autozone Duralast, but I spent $20 on front pads 9 years ago and haven't spent more since because Autozone gives lifetime warranty (free swap out when time comes). Something to consider if you have an Autozone near you. For my newer car I may go that route with the ""better"" pads instead of the cheapos.

Go to Advance Auto website, add Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic pads to your cart, use code TRT30 for 30% off, and they also have $15 front and $15 rear rebates...
About $25 for these pads (plus tax)... and you get a lifetime warranty!

radam13 said:   These are probably better than the Autozone Duralast, but I spent $20 on front pads 9 years ago and haven't spent more since because Autozone gives lifetime warranty (free swap out when time comes). Something to consider if you have an Autozone near you. For my newer car I may go that route with the ""better"" pads instead of the cheapos.
  Please elaborate, free exchange for life? (ie ...whe the pad wear out, you get a another set free?)

freeyellow2000 said:   
radam13 said:   These are probably better than the Autozone Duralast, but I spent $20 on front pads 9 years ago and haven't spent more since because Autozone gives lifetime warranty (free swap out when time comes). Something to consider if you have an Autozone near you. For my newer car I may go that route with the ""better"" pads instead of the cheapos.
  Please elaborate, free exchange for life? (ie ...whe the pad wear out, you get a another set free?)

yea, more info. Most have limited lifetime warranty which is one replacement.

Be careful with Autozone. The last time I tried to get them to replace a set of "lifetime warranteed" pads with receipt, they refused. According to the Manager, the lifetime warranty is against defects not wear.

Just remember when you're dealing with "lifetime" pads that something has to give. These pads will overheat and warp rotors more readily, and won't have the bite of better pads. Something has to give in the equation, and if it isn't the super-hard pad, it's your rotors that will suffer. Last I checked those are much more expensive to replace than pads.

NotAClue said:   Go to Advance Auto website, add Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic pads to your cart, use code TRT30 for 30% off, and they also have $15 front and $15 rear rebates...
About $25 for these pads (plus tax)... and you get a lifetime warranty!

YMMV on getting a decent price. Pads for my Odyssey on Advance Auto were nearly double the price of Amazon. Advance after 30% off: $85   Amazon: $66  RockAuto: $59   (QC1089 front and PD1088 rear)

jimates said:   
freeyellow2000 said:   

yea, more info. Most have limited lifetime warranty which is one replacement.

I haven't exchanged brakes in over a year, but in my Warren MI store I would buy brake pads, remove old ones, bring the old ones in and get a refund. Or, I could take off the old ones, bring them in and walk out with a new set. I've done this swap 3 times. Maybe it's a YMMV and their policy may have changed in the last 18 months.  I've talked to associates in the past about this and responses have been a "Yup! Just bring it in". It doesn't make business sense obviously, but it could be something where people will keep coming back. In my case it's just normal wear. Because I've done this over 10 years on 1 car, I haven't run studies to check the impact on rotor wear and all that. When I was swapping every 3 years I would do it as a precaution meaning it might not have been at the "must change now" point, but they would have 60-80k on them. Again, normal wear, bring them in and swap out. Haven't had issues, haven't followed the rules about turning rotors every time I do brakes, I do up keep up on brake fluid changes so all is good.

If it works at your local store like that, cool, if not, OP posted what seems a good deal too.

DrElectron said:   Be careful with Autozone. The last time I tried to get them to replace a set of "lifetime warranteed" pads with receipt, they refused. According to the Manager, the lifetime warranty is against defects not wear.
  That is shady. The lifetime warranty is against wear. You should tell them the sales associate told them it is against wear AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WEAR THEM DOWN TO THE METAL. That is what I'm told here in San Diego, CA. One time, I got new pads AND a few bucks back because the price had gone down from when I originally bought them.

cyfan said:   
ffd55 said:   Yes, and Yes. 

Not true.  It says these are a front "set" and a rear "set".  Also the picture shows 4 pads meaning two sets of two. From what I can tell, you just need one set for the front, and one for the back.  

WOW!!!  Some people are dumber than a box of rocks (not you cyfan)...

Everyone that has ever changed disc breaks KNOWS that you need 1 set per AXLE, which has 2 discs.  Since you have 2 DISCS and each DISC need an inner and an outer pad, a SET of PADS for an AXLE has 4 pads (outer left, inner left, inner right, out right).

And I don't only insist on jack stands, but also Wheel chocks for the wheels on the ground.... both in front of them and behind.

I don't work in the industry, but worked on many different types of vehicles (BIG ASS type) in the army years ago... and saw more people nearly hurt, HURT, CRUSHED, and killed from stupidity under vehicles.

So anyone that bit get these installed yet? Let us know if you have good or bad experiences with them?

glenatuf said:   So anyone that bit get these installed yet? Let us know if you have good or bad experiences with them?
  I used these on my 99 Toyota Landcruiser and they were great. Definitely worked at least as well as OEM.

Be careful if you buy the wagner brake shoes or metallic pads. The Ceramic still uses the standard formula so they should still be ok but they have really gone down in quality on their shoes and metallic pads.

The metallic pads for my truck are FE temp rating, that is very bad rating for a metallic pad. FF is good but FE and EE are very low end pads. FE means it will not grab well when cold, first letter, and will have a lot of brake fade when hot, second letter. Last set of pads from Wagner I bought were EE and I just sold them as I could not use them.

The shoes I did order are rated EE, again very low end. On top of that the friction material was not smooth, had dips in it, and had glue on the surface as well. These look worse than the no name white box shoes I have seen before.

I use to be a full time tech and ran ,y own shop at one point. Wagner use to be a great pad and I have used a lot of them. But from the last several sets of pads and shoes I have seen I would not use them unless you want a ceramic pad and those are still ok as of now.

Elcheapothegreat said:   Just a word of caution regarding these brake pads. In my experience, these squeak horribly. I have a mechanic friend that absolutely hates this pad. Unfortunately, I found this out after purchasing them. He said that this product cost him a small fortune in unhappy customers and re-do's. He warned that if I decided to install them, they WILL squeak. Well, he was right. It didn't happen immediately, but within a few days they squeaked as expected. In all fairness, I must say that they stop just fine and the price is good but that is all negated by amount of annoying noise they produce. I would not use these again if I got them for free.

Pads don't squeak.  Pad backing plates squeak.  This is because they are metal, and the caliper pocket they sit in is metal.  When you hit the brakes, the pads grab the rotor, causing the pad backing plate to shift in the caliper pocket... metal on metal = squeak.  There are a couple of solutions... 1) make sure the backing plates fit tightly and cannot move (and this might be your friend's issue... because if the manufacturer makes the backing plates fit loosely in the pocket, they move more when you hit the brakes, thus causing the squeak), or 2) use caliper lube on the backing plates (this lubes the metal-on-metal surface so it doesn't squeak... BTW, if you're not using caliper lube EVERY TIME you service your brakes, you deserve squeaky brakes.  It'd be like changing your oil without putting oil into the engine... just not smart.  Don't cheap out on the $2 single-use tube that cures the problem, only to then blame the brake pads for your installation error.

But Wagner Thermoquiet state that they don't require any lubrication on the pad back. Are you saying I should smear some grease on anyway?

Hip2bSquare said:   But Wagner Thermoquiet state that they don't require any lubrication on the pad back. Are you saying I should smear some grease on anyway?

Caliper lube... absolutely yes.

FYI...........................I bought from sub seller.   FREE SHIPPING

DAMN.....I forgot my Fatwallet " Cash Back"..

labboypro said:   

Pads don't squeak.  Pad backing plates squeak.  This is because they are metal, and the caliper pocket they sit in is metal.  When you hit the brakes, the pads grab the rotor, causing the pad backing plate to shift in the caliper pocket... metal on metal = squeak.  There are a couple of solutions... 1) make sure the backing plates fit tightly and cannot move (and this might be your friend's issue... because if the manufacturer makes the backing plates fit loosely in the pocket, they move more when you hit the brakes, thus causing the squeak), or 2) use caliper lube on the backing plates (this lubes the metal-on-metal surface so it doesn't squeak... BTW, if you're not using caliper lube EVERY TIME you service your brakes, you deserve squeaky brakes.  It'd be like changing your oil without putting oil into the engine... just not smart.  Don't cheap out on the $2 single-use tube that cures the problem, only to then blame the brake pads for your installation error.

~~First of all, it doesn’t matter if it’s the pad or the backing plate that is squeaking.  You purchase them as a single product.  If you want to play semantics, you’re on your own.  Secondly, you made an assumption that was ultimately incorrect.   I did use caliper lube when installing these brakes and YES, I always use caliper lube.   Finally, my mechanic friend owns a highly respected shop and purchases brake lube by the 5 gallon bucket.   The techs in his shop do hundreds of brake jobs a year and only the Wagner Thermoquiet Brakes squeak.    They have been on the phone with Wagner’s tech support and have tried multiple things to rectify the problem from brake shims to putting a multidirectional surface on the rotor face.  None of these “solutions” fixed the issue.  The one thing that did fix the issue is when they discontinued purchasing Wagner brakes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014