with touch cover: --- thanks and credit to yesidonoitall
www.ebay.com/itm/251461748987 

Member Summary

Microsoft Windows Surface RT 64GB Tablet - NEW
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wasn't new 32GB $199 a while ago?

ahcool said:   Wasn't new 32GB $199 a while ago?
And manufacturer refurbished 64GB for $199 a day or two ago as well... I don't mind refurbished tablets, and I actually feel pretty comfortable buying one since refurbished ones are actually checked before being sold, but I don't know about others...

Here is my poetry for the day

"You would think seller MICROSOFT would be a STELLER"

98.7%, not good....

If you are considering this, do be aware that all manufacturers (except Microsoft) have dropped Windows RT due to incompatibility with standard Windows products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT#Software_compatibility

"... the only desktop applications officially supported by Windows RT are those that come with the operating system itself; such as File Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Office RT. Only Windows Runtime apps (obtained from Windows Store or sideloaded in enterprise environments) can be installed by users on Windows RT devices. Developers cannot port desktop applications to run on Windows RT, since Microsoft developers felt that they would not be properly optimized for the platform."

Before Nokia Phone Division was acquired my MS, they had the Nokia 2520. I'd buy that if it wasn't so expensive..

DrKlahn said:   If you are considering this, do be aware that all manufacturers (except Microsoft) have dropped Windows RT due to incompatibility with standard Windows products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT#Software_compatibility 

"... the only desktop applications officially supported by Windows RT are those that come with the operating system itself; such as File Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Office RT. Only Windows Runtime apps (obtained from Windows Store or sideloaded in enterprise environments) can be installed by users on Windows RT devices. Developers cannot port desktop applications to run on Windows RT, since Microsoft developers felt that they would not be properly optimized for the platform."

Dell has claimed that they will ship another RT device in the future and Nokia (now Microsoft) is currently shipping their new tablet.

The fact remains that those who criticize RT for not being able to run standard Windows Apps are either clueless or have an agenda. I don't really hear people complaining that the iPad won't run standard Mac applications, nor do I hear people complain that there are TONS of Linux-based applications that are not available on Android devices. There are plenty of valid complaints that you can make about RT, but being able to run desktop apps shouldn't be one of them. There was a reason why MS offered both the Surface Pro and Surface RT.

The fact is that software is going to the subscription/cloud/appstore delivery system. Microsoft knows this and I suspect that is the reason they are so doggedly pursuing the Windows app store and still making RT and also why the lifecycle of RT is so long (it will be supported for quite some time to come).

While I understand your point, I think one of the issues is that this is not what many customers expect from the product.
When a product is called "Windows" and looks identical to the standard desktop Windows, people would think it would run Windows applications.

With iPad, it's obvious from the first glance that this is a blown up iPhone/iPod Touch, and they actually do run iOS applications as people would expect.

I don't think there would have been so many negative press if, say, Windows RT was called "Surface OS" and ran Metro tablet UI only while the Windows 8 continued on with an evolved Windows 7 interface (potentially running the Modern Apps in a desktop windows mode). It just seem like a promising product ruined by a bad UI decision and a huge marketing failure.

kiwi11 said:   While I understand your point, I think one of the issues is that this is not what many customers expect from the product.
When a product is called "Windows" and looks identical to the standard desktop Windows, people would think it would run Windows applications.

With iPad, it's obvious from the first glance that this is a blown up iPhone/iPod Touch, and they actually do run iOS applications as people would expect.

I don't think there would have been so many negative press if, say, Windows RT was called "Surface OS" and ran Metro tablet UI only while the Windows 8 continued on with an evolved Windows 7 interface (potentially running the Modern Apps in a desktop windows mode). It just seem like a promising product ruined by a bad UI decision and a huge marketing failure.

There have been products named "Windows CE", "Windows Phone", "Windows Mobile" etc. Do you really expect that they all would run desktop applications?

Perhaps Apple did market the expectations better and having the Surface Pro out there to confuse the situation even more might have been a mistake, but the product is quite good and has a place in the digital ecosystem should Microsoft decide to continue selling devices and pushing the OS. Heck, if they could get iTunes on it, my kids would have no objections to it because they rarely install desktop software anymore anyway!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014