Voting History
rated:

Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH - Ethernet CableCARD Network Tuner
Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs more
Disclaimer

Ceton Corp - multi-stream TV tuner and digital entertainment solutions
Disclaimer

Disclaimer
Got this e-mail from Ceton 

No matter what you're celebrating, for the next two days you can save big on Ceton InfiniTV 6 and Ceton Echo at Amazon.
Buy one: save $70!

Buy two: save $150!

Any combination of InfiniTV 6 and/or Echo qualify.

Ceton Echo 

Ceton InfiniTV6 PCIe 

Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH 

Promo Code: MARCHFUN 
(Sale ends March 4, 2014 at 11:59 pm, or while supplies last)

Dump Your Cable Boxes!

Watch and record up to 6 channels at once!

Enjoy TV and DVR on every TV set!

Eliminate monthly fees for cable boxes and DVR!

How does it all work? 

Learn More

InfiniTV 6 PCIe 
InfiniTV 6 ETH 
Ceton Echo 
My Media Center 

I have been using InfiniTV4 PCIe since the say it came out in 2010, until September of last year, when we upgraded to Ceton InifniTV6 ETH. I have not had any major issues, other than the early stage teething, which were worked out by Ceton. 

It was a definite upgrade from ATI DCT's that we were using before.

Buy a tuner and an extender for $328, basically making the extender $28 with a $150 discount code. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have FIOS, but most (all?) of my channels are still MPEG2, which is hard on Android/ios devices.

jumpfroggy (Mar. 07, 2014 @ 4:07p) |

How big is your TV? and How big is your Android device? 

I have never been fond of watching TV on a tiny screen.

blueiedgod (Mar. 09, 2014 @ 9:29p) |

TV's are 50+ inches. Android phone (gnex) is about 4.5. Not nice for arm's length TV watching, but great if it's right... (more)

jumpfroggy (Mar. 09, 2014 @ 9:57p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

ahh 6 channels! I would love to upgrade if my 4 channel had any problems. Don't know if I ever went to 4 channels recording at a time but why not have 6 for the same cable card rental price.

OMG, I don't need 6 channels over 4, but I definitely am sick of having to restart my server/HTPC to get my "TV Signal" working again in Windows Media Center.
I hope this infinitv6 is the solution. I want a STANDALONE device and it will work great because I hardwired my entire house with cat6 and a managed 24-port gigabit switch

Purchased the ETH 6-channel version. I assume my current network setup will suffice.  I just have to re-run a new coaxial now... damn.

*EDIT*
Wait a sec, it's $229 on Newegg also, and on Newegg I can get CashBack (and have a premier account for free shipping). Sorry, Amazon. I'm canceling with Amazon...

us said:   ahh 6 channels! I would love to upgrade if my 4 channel had any problems. Don't know if I ever went to 4 channels recording at a time but why not have 6 for the same cable card rental price.
  I'm in the exact same boat.

Would this work with DirecTV?

anyone have experience moving from Tivo to this? I used to have an HTPC, but my wife did not enjoy that...

ElGuache said:   Would this work with DirecTV?
  no

Raptor said:   anyone have experience moving from Tivo to this? I used to have an HTPC, but my wife did not enjoy that...
  I don't recommend this technology to anyone.  While I love my setup now, I have probably spent 30+ hours on the line with customer service related to various issues I've had with cablecard technology over the last 2 or so years.  The majority of those issues occurred while I had my internal PCI Infinitv4.  Using the Inifinitv ETH 6, I have had far fewer issues, the only current ones being that the tuning adapter randomly flakes out (I even got a replacement but didn't help) and I have to periodically call Time Warner to reset the signal, and also every 2-3 weeks, the tuner DRM pairing with Windows Media Center turns red and I have to reboot all my devices in a specific order to get them paired back up again.

uhm, you still need a PC to use these

i've been using a infinitv4 for a few years now, and except for a few months with bad firmware (kept on having to reset the device) it's been great.  i record 30+ hours of shows a week (i delete a lot of them).  however i do not use a tuning adaptor, had one briefly and would not use them if i do not need to, however i know some people don't have a choice with only 1 cable provider.

FYI i have an older HTPC and if i go past 4 recordings things slow down (i also have a dual-tuner, non-cable card), i can still watch recorded shows but thats all, if you have a newer HTPC should be no problem, mine is pre i3/i5/i7, i think it's a LGA775 CPU so it's pretty old.

mistadeal said:   
Raptor said:   anyone have experience moving from Tivo to this? I used to have an HTPC, but my wife did not enjoy that...
  I don't recommend this technology to anyone.  While I love my setup now, I have probably spent 30+ hours on the line with customer service related to various issues I've had with cablecard technology over the last 2 or so years.  The majority of those issues occurred while I had my internal PCI Infinitv4.  Using the Inifinitv ETH 6, I have had far fewer issues, the only current ones being that the tuning adapter randomly flakes out (I even got a replacement but didn't help) and I have to periodically call Time Warner to reset the signal, and also every 2-3 weeks, the tuner DRM pairing with Windows Media Center turns red and I have to reboot all my devices in a specific order to get them paired back up again.

I too have spent dozens of hours, but I am still going to try out the ETH 6 to replace my PCIe one.  I want something on my network so that it doesn't rely on a desktop.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

g0dMAn said:   
mistadeal said:   

I too have spent dozens of hours, but I am still going to try out the ETH 6 to replace my PCIe one.  I want something on my network so that it doesn't rely on a desktop.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Don't cross your fingers - just get the Silicondust HDHomerun Prime.  I have been using the original HdHomerun since it was introduced.  I've been using a Prime with cablecard for years.  The only problems I have ever had were the original cablecard pairing process.  I can't even remember the last time I had to reboot the tuner - well over a year.

tadr said:   Don't cross your fingers - just get the Silicondust HDHomerun Prime.  I have been using the original HdHomerun since it was introduced.  I've been using a Prime with cablecard for years.  The only problems I have ever had were the original cablecard pairing process.  I can't even remember the last time I had to reboot the tuner - well over a year.

THIS! I was an early adopter of the Ceton InfiniTV4 and man was it painful. I stuck with them for about 2 years, even bought a new one thinking maybe my Gen1 board had problems, but nope. I literally had to do active maintenance on the machine several times a week.

I finally decided to buy a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Prime and the thing just works! Mine only has 3 tuners (I think there is another model with more tuners), but that is fine for our household. And I NEVER have to touch the thing, I never get cranky calls or emails from the wife when I'm not around to fix it, it is just BETTER.

Also, I blamed a lot of the problems on the tuning adapter (Time Warner), but wouldn't you know it, those problems went away with the HDHomerun. Guess it was a problem with how the Ceton drivers interacts with the tuning adapter all along.

Anyways, I appreciate what Ceton did for the HTPC market and bringing innovative new products out. They just seem to take things to 90% and can't quite get them to 100% - I've read the same complaints about the Echo which I was very interested in, but now just plan to stick with my old Linksys extenders since they didn't add anything worthwhile.

woolooloo said:   
tadr said:   Don't cross your fingers - just get the Silicondust HDHomerun Prime.  I have been using the original HdHomerun since it was introduced.  I've been using a Prime with cablecard for years.  The only problems I have ever had were the original cablecard pairing process.  I can't even remember the last time I had to reboot the tuner - well over a year.
THIS! I was an early adopter of the Ceton InfiniTV4 and man was it painful. I stuck with them for about 2 years, even bought a new one thinking maybe my Gen1 board had problems, but nope. I literally had to do active maintenance on the machine several times a week.

I finally decided to buy a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Prime and the thing just works! Mine only has 3 tuners (I think there is another model with more tuners), but that is fine for our household. And I NEVER have to touch the thing, I never get cranky calls or emails from the wife when I'm not around to fix it, it is just BETTER.

Also, I blamed a lot of the problems on the tuning adapter (Time Warner), but wouldn't you know it, those problems went away with the HDHomerun. Guess it was a problem with how the Ceton drivers interacts with the tuning adapter all along.

Anyways, I appreciate what Ceton did for the HTPC market and bringing innovative new products out. They just seem to take things to 90% and can't quite get them to 100% - I've read the same complaints about the Echo which I was very interested in, but now just plan to stick with my old Linksys extenders since they didn't add anything worthwhile.

I'm looking to get the  Silicondust HDHomerun Prime also. this is a good price for the ceton, but there are too many bad reviews about this product, where there are no issues with Prime and if you believe  Silicondust at CES 2014 they said they are coming out with a 6 turner middle of 2nd Quarter.

as the former owner of the original infinitv4 card and current owner of infinitv6 eth, i can tell you that active cooling is the key. had a small fan blowing on the pcie card and never had issues. when i got eth, put a fan next to it. no issues. new silicondust has a fan as well.

Word of warning, the Prime works pretty well if you have an HTPC but past that your options for watching on a TV are basically PS3 (clunky interface) or XBox360. There are no cheap ways to consume the stream -- there's an Android app but it's unofficial, not free, and isn't reviewed well.

magnafides said:   Word of warning, the Prime works pretty well if you have an HTPC but past that your options for watching on a TV are basically PS3 (clunky interface) or XBox360. There are no cheap ways to consume the stream -- there's an Android app but it's unofficial, not free, and isn't reviewed well.

I currently use an xbox360, WDTV live and VLC on any computer, PC or mac

I'm sure there are plenty of other options too.

Get a new wife

alienjedi said:   
us said:   ahh 6 channels! I would love to upgrade if my 4 channel had any problems. Don't know if I ever went to 4 channels recording at a time but why not have 6 for the same cable card rental price.

If you build it, they will use it. We have 12 tuners, and there are times when all 12 are in use (we do run 6 TV's off the single HTPC, though)

Does anyone have this that can confirm it works as it should. I have HDHR Prime and love it but the wife keeps on recording Beverly Hills House Wives and it hogs up all the tuner. LOL 6 tuners would resolve this problem only if the tuner works. I've heard lots of issues on the Ceton compared to HDHR

blueiedgod said:   alienjedi said:   

If you build it, they will use it. We have 12 tuners, and there are times when all 12 are in use (we do run 6 TV's off the single HTPC, though)

Is your house a bar? That is a lot of TV's.

jason745 said:   
magnafides said:   Word of warning, the Prime works pretty well if you have an HTPC but past that your options for watching on a TV are basically PS3 (clunky interface) or XBox360. There are no cheap ways to consume the stream -- there's an Android app but it's unofficial, not free, and isn't reviewed well.

I currently use an xbox360, WDTV live and VLC on any computer, PC or mac

I'm sure there are plenty of other options too.

WDTV live itself is $120, I wouldn't call that cheap.  Is it just streaming from the DLNA server?
Too bad there's no native Roku support.

alienjedi said:   
blueiedgod said:   
alienjedi said:   

I'm totally with you, LOL!
How can you use more than 6 tuners?!  Okay, maybe 6-8 MAX in a big family, but what is going on there? I want to join the party!

I've thought about doing the HD Prime like others have said, but then I'd probably need two of them and my HTPC would have to be linked to it.  I want a device that can be standalone should anything happen... this way if my HTPC goes down, the other satellite computers (nettops) can handle themselves at least for live TV.  I'm also soon going to host everything on my ESXi server (passthrough to all TVs in the house so all TVs will be Windows 7 computers), and just have a backup HTPC.  This way, any TV can access my MKV library, do live TV, and watch recorded TV.  It's still a month or so away, but I've got all the parts and my ESXi build is almost ready

also curious how someone uses 12 tuners at once! the only time i run out of 6 is when NCAA march madness is happening because all the episodes are live. other times, you are recording stuff that will repeat later that night or the next day so if you run out of tuners it will record the next showing.

now if all 6 tvs are trying to watch live programming, i can see that being a problem, but why watch live programming and sit through commercials? Just watch something already recorded and timeshift by an hour.

g0dMAn said:   
alienjedi said:   
blueiedgod said:   
alienjedi said:   

I'm totally with you, LOL!
How can you use more than 6 tuners?!  Okay, maybe 6-8 MAX in a big family, but what is going on there? I want to join the party!

I've thought about doing the HD Prime like others have said, but then I'd probably need two of them and my HTPC would have to be linked to it.  I want a device that can be standalone should anything happen... this way if my HTPC goes down, the other satellite computers (nettops) can handle themselves at least for live TV.  I'm also soon going to host everything on my ESXi server (passthrough to all TVs in the house so all TVs will be Windows 7 computers), and just have a backup HTPC.  This way, any TV can access my MKV library, do live TV, and watch recorded TV.  It's still a month or so away, but I've got all the parts and my ESXi build is almost ready

6 TV's on at the same time require 6 tuners if each TV is viewing a different channel, throw in a couple of recordings, and recording time overlap, and you will use 12 tuners pretty frequently. 

If you want redundancy, set up your desktop as a stand in HTPC. That's what I have. Should HTPC go down, then my desktop kicks in (haven't had to do that in real life, yet, just in dry runs). 

Using multiple nettops limits your ability to share recordings if they are copyright protected, and you will have to maintain multiple recording drives, pooling and sharing them, and dealing with multiple recordings of the same program made by end users on different net tops. 

Central HTPC with central Network attached storage, and multiple extenders allow copyrighted content to playback in multiple TV's, not just "the one it was recorded on" Even though, physically, it is still being played back on the device it was recorded on (extenders create RDP sessions, which comply with copyright restrictions)

plums said:   also curious how someone uses 12 tuners at once! the only time i run out of 6 is when NCAA march madness is happening because all the episodes are live. other times, you are recording stuff that will repeat later that night or the next day so if you run out of tuners it will record the next showing.

now if all 6 tvs are trying to watch live programming, i can see that being a problem, but why watch live programming and sit through commercials? Just watch something already recorded and timeshift by an hour.

Some people prefer to watch live TV, like news. I watch most recorded TV in 2x (WMC compensates for voice shift, so that people don't sound like chipmunks). a 1 hour show, with commercials removed, can be viewed in as little as 20 minutes. Watching TV in real speed makes you feel like it is very s - l - o - w

alienjedi said:   
blueiedgod said:   
alienjedi said:   

Bars usually have multiple TVs showing the same 3-4 programs, which is a lot easier to implement than having 6 TV's showing completely different programming each. 

Does this to h264? The upcoming HDHomeRun is supposed to do that, which is what I'm waiting for. I have the Hauppauge DCR-2650 dual tuner (by silicondust), working with mythtv, playing on laptops/pcs in the house. It's been great. Really waiting for SD's next device to come out, but this is tempting.

jumpfroggy said:   Does this to h264? The upcoming HDHomeRun is supposed to do that, which is what I'm waiting for. I have the Hauppauge DCR-2650 dual tuner (by silicondust), working with mythtv, playing on laptops/pcs in the house. It's been great. Really waiting for SD's next device to come out, but this is tempting.

No need for on-the-fly conversion, many providers are already switching from MPEG2 to H.264. Verizon FiOS has a couple of channels in H.264. 

blueiedgod said:     
  I have FIOS, but most (all?) of my channels are still MPEG2, which is hard on Android/ios devices.

jumpfroggy said:   
blueiedgod said:     

How big is your TV? and How big is your Android device? 

I have never been fond of watching TV on a tiny screen. 

blueiedgod said:   How big is your TV? and How big is your Android device? I have never been fond of watching TV on a tiny screen. 
TV's are 50+ inches. Android phone (gnex) is about 4.5. Not nice for arm's length TV watching, but great if it's right in front of your face (ie. in bed, sitting on the couch, etc). I don't watch TV on android nearly at all, but that's mainly due to performance.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014