• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 7mm height with Adapter Solid State Drive 2.5-Inch SV300S37A/120G
Disclaimer
Amazon has this Kingston 120GB SSD drive for $65.99 with free shipping for orders over $35 and free shipping with prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=s9_hps_gw_g147_i... 

240GB for $124.99, same site

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=nosim/?ascsubtag=FWchq2j... 

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5" SSD
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

cool

This sale is still on. I'm amazed the mods didn't front page this.

These drives are much slower than the competition.. Make sure you read the more recent reviews.

ManFromEast said:   These drives are much slower than the competition.. Make sure you read the more recent reviews.
  Can you post some?

ManFromEast said:   These drives are much slower than the competition.. Make sure you read the more recent reviews.

Yep, should be considered a SATA 2 (3.0Gbit/sec) drive.

Sach said:   
  Can you post some?

This has been discussed multiple times, here and elsewhere.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1333452/

If you are thinking of speed, then carefully read the reviews on this item at Amazon. I purchased this for an old W xp with sata II connection and do not need the speed.

It's kind of amazing that Kingston keep sending the same reply to every complaint review about this saying that their claims are true, but ONLY if you use one specific benchmark program which only uses heavily compressable data -- and then tries to claim that that ONE benchmark and NO other -- accurately simulate real world experience. So, if all, you're going to do is run that ONE benchmark and nothing else with that hard drive, then I guess their claims are true. Otherwise, this SSD is about 1/3-1/4 of their claimed speed.

At this price, 1/3 of the advertised speed and much slower than the competition, this is NOT a good deal!

esteckis said:   If you are thinking of speed, then carefully read the reviews on this item at Amazon. I purchased this for an old W xp with sata II connection and do not need the speed.

Why would you bother when you can get a Much faster drive from Crucial, pny, intel etc for just a few dollars more? I don't know about you, but the SSDs I'm investing in will long outlast the old computers I am upgrading.

Also, I won't continue to financially support companies like Kingston that try to pull off shady moves like this.

I have a SATA II motherboard. Would this be a good upgrade considering the motherboard or would it be better to get an SSD like the Crucial N500 or the Samsung EVO. In other words, considering the SATA II MB, would it make a difference in speed if I got the Kingston or one of the other two?

I purchased it because it was the cheapest at the time. Since the xp computer is not doing any heavy read or write it did not matter to me.  I also look at it if I get 5 years use running XP, then what will be newer down the road in SSD's and connections it would be cheaper to buy newer versions.  I still even have a W 98 computer because of 1 cad cam software dependent upon that W 98n version, LOL.

Anandtech had a nice write-up on the issue recently:
http://anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300...

Sach said:   I have a SATA II motherboard. Would this be a good upgrade considering the motherboard or would it be better to get an SSD like the Crucial N500 or the Samsung EVO. In other words, considering the SATA II MB, would it make a difference in speed if I got the Kingston or one of the other two?
  For an extra $9, get the Crucial or another. The reviews say this drive will do around 150MB/s. SATA II should max out at 375MB/s (in theory) and 300MB/s sustained write. This drive will barely utilize half your interface.

ManFromEast said:   
Sach said:   I have a SATA II motherboard. Would this be a good upgrade considering the motherboard or would it be better to get an SSD like the Crucial N500 or the Samsung EVO. In other words, considering the SATA II MB, would it make a difference in speed if I got the Kingston or one of the other two?
  For an extra $9, get the Crucial or another. The reviews say this drive will do around 150MB/s. SATA II should max out at 375MB/s (in theory) and 300MB/s sustained write. This drive will barely utilize half your interface.

Thanks!

Shady business practices from Kingston on this drive...it should be shunned at any price.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014