• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Changhong 50" 1080p LED HDTV
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Now with $1 wall mount according to another post.

chelciecl (Apr. 08, 2014 @ 7:23a) |

Does anybody have any input on the longevity of these TV's? I'd like to buy one for my grandparents, but don't want it ... (more)

DOOMI (Apr. 10, 2014 @ 2:31p) |

Bump

serenity22 (Apr. 27, 2014 @ 3:54p) |

50" 1080p LED Back-lit LCD HDTV (1920 x 1080)
60Hz Refresh Rate
3 HDMI Ports
400:1 Contrast Ratio
350 cd/m2 Brightness
8ms Response Time
1 Year Warranty
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So this tv is $399 normally and they marked it up to $419 to show a free hdmi cable worth $20 for $399? Those cables are a buck. Where is the deal?

Trickracen said:   So this tv is $399 normally and they marked it up to $419 to show a free hdmi cable worth $20 for $399? Those cables are a buck. Where is the deal?
  it was $450 for awhile but i know what you mean.

Yes!!!

Last time it was posted here it was 399 as well.

$399.99 is the lowest price for this T.V. consider the HDMI cables a bonus.

The lowest is about $360 when they had the Master card 10% discount.

Trickracen said:   So this tv is $399 normally and they marked it up to $419 to show a free hdmi cable worth $20 for $399? Those cables are a buck. Where is the deal?

Party Pooper !

Wasn't too happy with the picture quality, returned it last time!!

"Changhong", one of the leading brand names in HDTV.   heh, heh

missmatch said:   Wasn't too happy with the picture quality, returned it last time!!

Interesting. Looking into this offer the last time, I saw quite a few comments/reviews that gave me the impression this was a real find. I don't have the specific citations, but I recall the gist being Changhong was a legit industry source of screens for several name brand TV manufacturers and that(despite the funny name) the quality was there. I don't own one and I've not yet even seen one, but I was considering it.

HTuttle said:   
missmatch said:   Wasn't too happy with the picture quality, returned it last time!!

Interesting. Looking into this offer the last time, I saw quite a few comments/reviews that gave me the impression this was a real find. I don't have the specific citations, but I recall the gist being Changhong was a legit industry source of screens for several name brand TV manufacturers and that(despite the funny name) the quality was there. I don't own one and I've not yet even seen one, but I was considering it.

I saw one at a customers house in person yesterday, my opinion is that the picture quality was good at worst, and while I didn't do an in depth evaluation the quality did seem to be decent at worst, much better than many of the more common bargain brands. I have no clue as to who or what Changhong is, but I am pretty familiar with bargain basement TV sets, you may recognize the name on the front, but you have no idea who actually built or designed it, ALL of the old American brand names have been out of business for decades, and the logos are licensed to be slapped onto the cheapest available parts on the Chinese market. Most of us are far more familiar with no name Chinese built TV sets than we realize.

ChangHong is the largest TV company in China

Safe your money and buy a real brand tv, cheap became expensive.

timbui said:   Safe your money and buy a real brand tv, cheap became expensive.
  Dude, use the $500 car theory (yes it arose when used autos were cheap before cash fro clunkers, hehehe). You buy a $500 car and do NO work except changing fluids, maybe wiper blades. Minimal to zero maintenance, I've even read of people who never change oil just add more when it gets low. Drive it til it drops, junk it for around $75 ( or sell it for a parts car for a bit more) then purchase another cheapie.
400 bucks get two or three years out of it, then buy another.
All brands have Planned Obsolescence. Quite a few are obvious with parts failing a couple of months after warranty ends.
It isn't as if your four year old 2k tv increases in value.

It only took FW a week to figure out that this was the better deal of the two Changhong TVs and finally put it on the Hot Deals page.

EvilWizardGlick said:   
timbui said:   Safe your money and buy a real brand tv, cheap became expensive.
  Dude, use the $500 car theory (yes it arose when used autos were cheap before cash fro clunkers, hehehe). You buy a $500 car and do NO work except changing fluids, maybe wiper blades. Minimal to zero maintenance, I've even read of people who never change oil just add more when it gets low. Drive it til it drops, junk it for around $75 ( or sell it for a parts car for a bit more) then purchase another cheapie.
400 bucks get two or three years out of it, then buy another.
All brands have Planned Obsolescence. Quite a few are obvious with parts failing a couple of months after warranty ends.
It isn't as if your four year old 2k tv increases in value.

Haha I bought my first car, 96 monte carlo with 150k miles for $500.  Drove that badboy for 4 years until some chick pulled out in front of me and I totaled it.  State Farm gave me a check for $2350 which covered me getting a few years newer car.  Worked out well for me, now if I could just rinse and repeat

You had full coverage on a 500$ car? hehe.. well, I guess it worked out great.

leprechanmonkie said:   

Haha I bought my first car, 96 monte carlo with 150k miles for $500.  Drove that badboy for 4 years until some chick pulled out in front of me and I totaled it.  State Farm gave me a check for $2350 which covered me getting a few years newer car.  Worked out well for me, now if I could just rinse and repeat

if the tires were not bald you might have stopped in time

i paid for 200$ on thí brand new TV, and quality just bad

Drouo said:   You had full coverage on a 500$ car? hehe.. well, I guess it worked out great.
  Chick pulled out in front of him, not his fault. So yes the other insurance would take care of the total. I highly doubt he was paying full coverage of that car.

Trickracen said:   
Drouo said:   You had full coverage on a 500$ car? hehe.. well, I guess it worked out great.
  Chick pulled out in front of him, not his fault. So yes the other insurance would take care of the total. I highly doubt he was paying full coverage of that car.

You sir, are correct.  Why would a fatwalleter carry full coverage on a 500$ asset? Being a college student I wasn't opting to carry full coverage and I'm still carrying basic coverage on my replacement car as well; I don't drive much and when I do, I do it safely.

Warranty....3 weeks or 10 hours limited warranty....must send back to Guangdong prepaid.

belgique said:   Warranty....3 weeks or 10 hours limited warranty....must send back to Guangdong prepaid.
  It is a one year parts and one year labor warranty.  Return to depot or to authorized repair center.
http://www.changhongusa.com/support/warranty-information/

I bought this a few weeks ago. First one arrived DOA, but Newegg got an express RMA for me and a new one came 2 days later and I'm very happy with it as a secondary tv for the basement gaming area. Titanfall looks great.

I'm not using the stock speakers so I can't attest to the sound quality. Great picture for the price.

agreed with the perplexity re: the positive reviews which is what is leading me to wonder if the Chinese have hired laborers/workers to specifically log on & write so many positive reviews. I have had a similar experience re a couple other China made products!!

I bought this around Jan 1 for $399 from Newegg. Working fine so far, daily Netflix use. Note: no headphone jack; I've seen complaints about that.

missmatch said:   agreed with the perplexity re: the positive reviews which is what is leading me to wonder if the Chinese have hired laborers/workers to specifically log on & write so many positive reviews. I have had a similar experience re a couple other China made products!!
  Except that they are "verified" owners on Newegg.

China doesn't make anything worthwhile except:

-The Panasonic Plasma TV I've had nearly 10 years
-The surround sound speaker system
-90% of my clothes and shoes
-Half of my appliances
-Even this Logitech keyboard and mouse I'm using to post this

LOL!

phutureprimative said:   
missmatch said:   agreed with the perplexity re: the positive reviews which is what is leading me to wonder if the Chinese have hired laborers/workers to specifically log on & write so many positive reviews. I have had a similar experience re a couple other China made products!!
  Except that they are "verified" owners on Newegg.

@missmatch Let me burst your bubble. I am not a hired Chinese laborer/workerworker and I do own a Changhong T.V. and it is awesome. 

Thank you. 

sold the hdmi cables for a dollar a pop at my yardsale #profit

I like this fantasy because it suggests that Chinese laborers earn enough to afford personal computers, internet connection, have free reign of access to the internet, spend their free time promoting the company that they work for, and can read/wright perfect English.

Other than China I think the only place major TV manufacturers exist today is Korea.  Just because a brand may have a Japanese or American name does not mean that is where it is made.

Stillll goin!

st4rdust said:   Stillll goin!
  Now with $1 wall mount according to another post. 

Does anybody have any input on the longevity of these TV's? I'd like to buy one for my grandparents, but don't want it to break all of the time and be a hassle. Obviously there will be duds, but a general consensus on quality would be helpful.

Bump

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014