• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Microcenter carries new Dell Latitude E7240 laptops in stores at $1399+.  Some stores also have have factory refurbished units. The E7240 is compatible with the E series docking stations.  Their in-store stock screens describe the units.  Mine came with I7 4600U CPU, 8GB memory, 128GB MSATA type SSD, wifi, webcam and bluetooth but no touchscreen.  

http://www.microcenter.com/product/429611/Latitude_E7240_125_Ult...  

Member Summary

Dell Latitude E7240 Refurbished
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Dell
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have the bigger brother (E7440) and love it. I did get the 1920x1080 touchscreen which is well worth it. The one at Microcenter doesn't have a webcam or fingerprint reader either. Does have a backlit keyboard which is always nice. 90 day warranty stinks.

12.5 inch, no touch screen, windows 7. No fancy secondary cpu, run of the mill 128gb ssd. I don't see anything remarkable about this laptop, even at $799. You can find 13-14 inch laptops with touchscreens and ULV processors starting for less, with a full warranty.

I have a couple of dozen of these at work, waiting to be unpacked. They're light and thin (almost in a MacBook Air kinda way). There's no CD/DVD drive, as they're meant for the road warrior type. Seem to be nice machines.

Its worth noting that these are MSATA SSD drives (snap in like laptop memory), they do not use "Run of the mill SSD drives" that JeffMD indicated above. There is no room, nor interface for a traditional SSD in the 7240 laptops.

I see, they are ultra thins. I ment run of the mill as in 128gb which is on the small end of things of SSD drives today, but understandable as a msata device.

Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 90 Days Limited
Labor 90 Days Limited

Nice setup but the warranty and lack of dedicated graphics seems kinda cold...

Logan71 said:   I have a couple of dozen of these at work, waiting to be unpacked. They're light and thin (almost in a MacBook Air kinda way). There's no CD/DVD drive, as they're meant for the road warrior type. Seem to be nice machines.

Its worth noting that these are MSATA SSD drives (snap in like laptop memory), they do not use "Run of the mill SSD drives" that JeffMD indicated above. There is no room, nor interface for a traditional SSD in the 7240 laptops.

I also deploy these laptops at work, and I can vouch for the quality of these machines -- well built (soft touch plastic), rigid (part aluminum), sleek, and thin. Comparing to the previous gens of 12" Latitudes we deployed (such as the 6000 and the older 4000 series), the E7240 is a major improvement in my opinion. It works nicely with the E-Dock if you do purchase one. They aren't as thin as Macbook Airs, but you know as soon as you pick it up that it is very well built with precision and quality.

Price seems decent for what you are getting. However, like some of the posts mentioned, I would give it a second thought considering there is only 90 days warranty especially since this is a refurb unit, not brand new. Unless you purchase it with a credit card that extends the warranty for a year, I wouldn't buy it considering this is a refurb laptop. Otherwise, take your chances. Keep in mind a brand new unit would come with 3 year Dell warranty, and that usually adds around $200 on top of the machine itself.

jaymex619 -- none of these 12" Dell business laptops ever had a dedicated graphics. This isn't any Alienware or Razor laptop that specializes in cramming desktop-replacement components into a tiny form. I have rarely come by 12" laptops with a dedicated card. Even if it is a dedicated card it is no better than the integrated graphics. Also I wouldn't underestimate Intel integrated graphics. Though definitely not a frame-rate breaker, it will be casual gaming performance. Integrated graphics have definitely come long ways from our usual expectations of integrated card performance. You would be surprised just as I was.

**The E7240 comes with 2 x MSATA ports, meaning you can add another MSATA drive on top of what is in there already. Not bad at all.
*MSATA performance is still pretty fast, despite its smaller form. Though 2.5" SATA SSD drives will still beat MSATA SSD drives by numbers, it isn't noticeable at all for everyday use. Yes, I do a lot of testing on these machines, and they are fast..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014