• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Roku 3500R Streaming Stick HDMI 2014
Disclaimer
linkage
Amazon said: Compact stick design. Plugs discreetly right into the HDMI port. Great for wall-mounted TVs.

1,000+ entertainment channels and counting. By far the most movies, sports, news, music and kids' shows of any streaming player.

Control with remote or mobile. You can choose to control your entertainment via your iOS or Android device. Or use the included remote that everybody can share. It's your choice.

Send to TV from mobile. Use mobile apps, such as Netflix and YouTube, to cast videos from your phone straight to your TV.

Stunning HD video quality. Immerse yourself in the action with rich, vibrant video streaming up to 1080p* HD.

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Abt Electronics
See Abt Electronics promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You are better off getting one from Target with your Red card (5%).
Got one myself, you can do voice search if you use th... (more)

ElectricGerm (Apr. 11, 2014 @ 1:08a) |

i don't have a red card, and it would have cost me over 5% in gas to get there

morecowbell (Apr. 11, 2014 @ 1:52a) |

Perhaps you need another perspective on Amazon (a company which I like, by the way):  http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsa... (more)

Slikkster (Apr. 23, 2014 @ 3:24p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Shows "In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process". Anybody know if these are about to show up on the shelves at Best Buy or WalMart soon?

I'm not sure I get the deal here. 99 cents savings isn't a big deal to me, I'd rather go to BB or WallyWorld and walk out with it.

I would gladly pay to not go to WM.

Is this better than a Chromecast?  Can you go to any web site or just what comes with the stick?

99 cents off? wow so cool~

miqie said:   Is this better than a Chromecast?  Can you go to any web site or just what comes with the stick?
The Roku SS is a very different device, it's more of a standalone appliance as opposed to being dependent on a PC like the Chromecast.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-stick-vs-chromecast,review-2058...

Not on the shelves in Wallyworld around here yet.

Looks like a good deal, only $14 more than Chromecast, but comes with a remote and plays Amazaon Instant Video, which Goggle's stick won't.

Also available at ABT for same price!

http://www.abt.com/product/78354/Roku-3500R.html? w/free shipping.

jayK said:   
miqie said:   Is this better than a Chromecast?  Can you go to any web site or just what comes with the stick?
The Roku SS is a very different device, it's more of a standalone appliance as opposed to being dependent on a PC like the Chromecast.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-stick-vs-chromecast,review-2058... 
Link not working. I couldn't get it to link here, either.

anyone hear about the Amazon Fire TV? how is it going to compete with Roku, Chromecast and all?

I've been reading up on the Amazon Fire on cnet and engagdget and Amazon's web site. It seems to be more of the same with the streaming boxes. Roku lacks youtube/Google play (on most Roku devices), same for Amazon Fire so far (I fear this is Amazon trying to be like Apple), Chromecast - fewer apps and lack Amazon Prime and lacks remote if you want that (I do and I don't want my 6 year old getting into a habit of grabbing my phone to play Barney).

The Fire Box interface seems very Plex like. It will have a game controller available for an additional price.

I suggest waiting for some real reviews to come in before buying the Amazon Fire Box.

The Roku stick, from what I've read, its just a little slow compared to the standard boxes, but functions fine.

The Chromecast is great, it just doesn't have all the apps yet. I really reccomend waiting 6 months to see how these all shake out. Once Chromecast apps are developed, I think that will be the best option.

A big selling point of the Roku stick is that it's MHL and all those 'Roku ready' TV remotes can pass commands to it.

Can either of these devices browse anywhere on the web?  My cable internet has a movie site that I stream from my laptop.  Would be nice to have something that just stays attached to the TV all the time.

BennyZz said:   A big selling point of the Roku stick is that it's MHL and all those 'Roku ready' TV remotes can pass commands to it.

THIS Roku stick is not MHL.  It's just a stripped down Roku 2.  The Roku era ended with the introduction of the Amazon Fire TV.  The FTV combines everything worthwhile about the Roku 3 with everything worthwhile about the Ouya.  For pure OTT, that is the streamer you want.  Those of us who are OTA first have to look at the Mohu Channels device with its OTA grid guide.

Why all of a sudden is every new product sold at retail price a HOT DEAL?

Lays Potato chips are on sale this week buy one get one free... NOW that is a hot deal! Retail ISN'T

wizwor said:   

THIS Roku stick is not MHL.  It's just a stripped down Roku 2.  The Roku era ended with the introduction of the Amazon Fire TV.  The FTV combines everything worthwhile about the Roku 3 with everything worthwhile about the Ouya.  For pure OTT, that is the streamer you want.  Those of us who are OTA first have to look at the Mohu Channels device with its OTA grid guide.

For pure OTT? What is it offering in that realm that Roku isn't offering? HBO Go? I love statements like "end of the era" for such and such products, before it's even hands-on in the general public. I certainly don't think Roku and other streaming-box providers are going to just throw their hands up and say "You win, Amazon!".

Oh, and that not-so-minor issue with bluetooth-only remote control isn't going to be a big selling point. A lot of people have universal IR-based remotes and want a device that can take IR commands. Looks like Amazon decided not to go that route. Are there workarounds like smartphone/tablet control? Voice remote capability? Sure, but again -- that's another device to have to incorporate.

The bottom line is that while I'm always happy about new devices like this entering the marketplace, it's really very premature to suggest that it's the "end of an era" for anything. It may be for you, but universally? Only time will tell.

The MHL version of the Roku Streaming Stick is $20 more.

http://www.roku.com/products/roku-ready-streaming-stick

Maybe I should create a new thread in Hot Deals as the manufacturer is selling it for retail price.

Slikkster said:   For pure OTT? What is it offering in that realm that Roku isn't offering? HBO Go?

Roku has HBO Go. The only advantages Amazon Fire TV has are voice control and gaming.

jayK said:   
Slikkster said:   For pure OTT? What is it offering in that realm that Roku isn't offering? HBO Go?

Roku has HBO Go. The only advantages Amazon Fire TV has are voice control and gaming.

I was being sarcastic, lol.  Should have added the /sarc tag, as the Fire isn't offering HBO Go at launch.  It was a playful swipe at his "For pure OTT" (and this acronym should be spelled out as while it's been around for a while, it's not quite mainstream -- Over-The-Top) comment.

rockin' the roku
Disclaimer
JRedleg said:   I'm not sure I get the deal here. 99 cents savings isn't a big deal to me, I'd rather go to BB or WallyWorld and walk out with it.
since it's not available at WalMart (according to online), then i guess you must be lucky enough to have it available at your bestbuy (both of which i dislike, btw). for me, it's not available at BB, and i checked a few other random zip codes and it was also not available. guess i wouldn't want to wait for the immediate availability

ZombieHunter said:   Why all of a sudden is every new product sold at retail price a HOT DEAL?

Lays Potato chips are on sale this week buy one get one free... NOW that is a hot deal! Retail ISN'T

availability can be an issue. your analogy might work better if it included lays chips that you cannot get in your area.

oh, and confirmation email just came...i got mine

Slikkster said:   For pure OTT? What is it offering in that realm that Roku isn't offering? HBO Go? I love statements like "end of the era" for such and such products, before it's even hands-on in the general public. I certainly don't think Roku and other streaming-box providers are going to just throw their hands up and say "You win, Amazon!".
Explained here...

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/fire-tv-torche...
Slikkster said:   Oh, and that not-so-minor issue with bluetooth-only remote control isn't going to be a big selling point. A lot of people have universal IR-based remotes and want a device that can take IR commands. Looks like Amazon decided not to go that route. Are there workarounds like smartphone/tablet control? Voice remote capability? Sure, but again -- that's another device to have to incorporate.
You can pair it with a keyboard and/or a game controller -- in case you want to play something more sophisticated than Angry Birds or Hangman.
Slikkster said:   The bottom line is that while I'm always happy about new devices like this entering the marketplace, it's really very premature to suggest that it's the "end of an era" for anything. It may be for you, but universally? Only time will tell.

The reason the Roku era is over is that Roku is still paying bills with venture capital. They cannot turn a profit on their $99 streamers and they are not going to make a profit selling hardware to compete with the FTV at a price that competes with the FTV. The company has been for sale for more than a year and they brought in an expert to help with that in December. No one who was unwilling to buy a company whose only competitor considered their streamer a hobby is going to pony up now that Amazon has entered the fray.

Since introducing the Roku 3, Roku has introduced four new streamers. Every one was 1/5 as powerful as the Roku 3. This stick is one of the four. It's OK to like Rokus -- I have six -- but Amazon doesn't enter a market for sport.

You are better off getting one from Target with your Red card (5%).
Got one myself, you can do voice search if you use the Roku app.

ElectricGerm said:   You are better off getting one from Target with your Red card (5%).
Got one myself, you can do voice search if you use the Roku app.

i don't have a red card, and it would have cost me over 5% in gas to get there  

wizwor said:   
Slikkster said:   For pure OTT? What is it offering in that realm that Roku isn't offering? HBO Go? I love statements like "end of the era" for such and such products, before it's even hands-on in the general public. I certainly don't think Roku and other streaming-box providers are going to just throw their hands up and say "You win, Amazon!".
Explained here...

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/fire-tv-torche... 
Slikkster said:   Oh, and that not-so-minor issue with bluetooth-only remote control isn't going to be a big selling point. A lot of people have universal IR-based remotes and want a device that can take IR commands. Looks like Amazon decided not to go that route. Are there workarounds like smartphone/tablet control? Voice remote capability? Sure, but again -- that's another device to have to incorporate.
You can pair it with a keyboard and/or a game controller -- in case you want to play something more sophisticated than Angry Birds or Hangman.
Slikkster said:   The bottom line is that while I'm always happy about new devices like this entering the marketplace, it's really very premature to suggest that it's the "end of an era" for anything. It may be for you, but universally? Only time will tell.

The reason the Roku era is over is that Roku is still paying bills with venture capital. They cannot turn a profit on their $99 streamers and they are not going to make a profit selling hardware to compete with the FTV at a price that competes with the FTV. The company has been for sale for more than a year and they brought in an expert to help with that in December. No one who was unwilling to buy a company whose only competitor considered their streamer a hobby is going to pony up now that Amazon has entered the fray.

Since introducing the Roku 3, Roku has introduced four new streamers. Every one was 1/5 as powerful as the Roku 3. This stick is one of the four. It's OK to like Rokus -- I have six -- but Amazon doesn't enter a market for sport.

Perhaps you need another perspective on Amazon (a company which I like, by the way):  http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2013/08/15/why-amazon-is-...   

Has Amazon Instant Video (free for Prime) overtaken Netflix -- even with the side benefits of free prime delivery?  Doesn't look like it to me.  Couldn't you make the same argument about Apple and/or Google getting into the competition space as Amazon when you say "not playing for sport"?  Amazon hasn't exactly taken over the tablet throne from Apple, have they? They've made strides in the markets they've entered, but they're not the market leader (as the link I posted above attests).

The FTV voice search is fine if you're looking for content on Amazon Instant Video (or apparently paying customer Hulu Plus), but Roku's search is pretty universal.  Let's remember what these streamers are primarily used for:  streaming.   Not gaming, etc. That's niche.  And, there's better platforms for that, like Xbox and PS.  Always apply the "what would the common user want this device for"?   And if you're going to reply that the FTV does gaming at a cheaper price point, I would counter that the under-powered (your characterization) Rokus other than Roku 3 are cheaper than the Roku 3 and the FTV.  They're meant to provide options for customers who might not need all the features of the R3 and want a lower price point.  The new HDMI Stick is $50.  More than Chromecast?  Sure - but a lot more capable, too.  

I might add that it took Amazon about 7 years to make a profit -- although they did signal that it might take that long in their business plan.  

Now, could Amazon try a real power play and make the FTV such a loss-leader that it didn't make sense to go any other direction?  Yeah, I guess.  Kind of cheesy, but that's business, right? Consumers wouldn't complain.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014