Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Amazon Fire TV
Disclaimer
The Amazon Fire TV is featured on Amazon for $99.00 with free shipping.

• Over 200,000 TV episodes and movies.
  • Millions of songs & over 100 games
  • Prime members get access to thousands of movies and TV shows
  • Voice Search
  • Fast quad-core processor
  • 2GB Memory
  • 1080p HD video
  • Pre-registered to your Amazon account

Not sure what kind of feedback this will get, but since it's available now I thought I'd post it.

Link

Member Summary

fire tv
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
In this case, istme13 is correct.  If someone is going to state something like it's: "a lot better" than another product... (more)

respdoc (Apr. 09, 2014 @ 4:45p) |

FireTV is now available at Staples for the same $99. Link

At least you can use whatever coupon you might have, and get 5... (more)

Narcosis (Apr. 15, 2014 @ 4:38p) |

One word (well, acronym) that makes FireTV worth the $99: XBMC

I bought 3.  Not hot, but XBMC without jumping through hoo... (more)

gboshort (Apr. 30, 2014 @ 10:54a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

new deal? Yes
hot deal? No

slervik said:   
Not sure what kind of feedback this will get, but since it's available now I thought I'd post it.

Doesn't make it a hot deal. This is full retail price along with the fact it has no major advantages over similar devices to justify full cost. 

LetsGoMets1 said:   new deal? Yes
hot deal? No

True this. But I believe brand new items warrant exposition

Amazon: Bringing back 2009 technology with 2014 prices!!

GreenTrash said:   
hot deal? No

If I posted a Roku-3 at $99  (Full Retail), would that be a hot deal?

Wait to see some feedback on the device and maybe a slight sale

The Instant Afro feature kills the deal.

GreenTrash said:   
hot deal? No

I guess if slervik didn't post it, someone would.

Now, if someone had some way of knocking the price off... or some secret way of lowering it... that's a hot deal.

Redbeard25 said:   

Now, if someone had some way of knocking the price off... or some secret way of lowering it... that's a hot deal.

True...it was probably a stretch to think only products and prices even remotely resembling "hot deals" would be posted in this section. 

As for the price..random rumors of them including free months (3-6) of Prime in the future...but nothing concrete yet. 

Thank you for posting this. That way I can make an informed decision myself whether I want one. Quit bashing people posting information.

is this thing better than Roku, chromecast, apple tv, etc?

KGar13 said:   is this thing better than Roku, chromecast, apple tv, etc?
http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-vs-roku-vs-chromecast-vs...

Other than voice search (may or may not be a gimmick) and better support for games the Fire TV doesn't have much going for it vs. Roku 3.

Stream from Windows home server? Like WD TV.

KGar13 said:   is this thing better than Roku, chromecast, apple tv, etc?
  Looks like it will offer a more performance than a roku3 but unless you are gaming or using the extra power probably not a hugh difference.

If you have a older Roku, pre Roku3, then it would be a good upgrade. But so would a Roku3.
I have a roku3 and will watch this but no rush to "upgrade".

Did I miss the coupon or special price?

eddweebic said:   Thank you for posting this. That way I can make an informed decision myself whether I want one. Quit bashing people posting information.
  Mods are not moving it to Off Topic, so by that it must be a hot deal.
  A "Hot Deal", should mean a really good discount..ie a great deal.  Full retail price is not a discount.
  I don't think it was product bashing as much as the posting something at full retail in the hot deals forum, just because it was new to the marketplace.

why wouldn't Amazon include prime with this thing? i mean make it hard to pass up, as it is, so many other things do the same, does it do anything prime video doesn't do already? prime works fine on a PS3

respdoc said:   
Redbeard25 said:   

True...it was probably a stretch to think only products and prices even remotely resembling "hot deals" would be posted in this section. 

As for the price..random rumors of them including free months (3-6) of Prime in the future...but nothing concrete yet. 

needs to be a full year of prime in my opinion, netflix throws around the free intros, should set themselves apart IMO 

This is not a hot price, but 2 features may make it a better choice than a Roku 3.

Also, they are basically giving everyone a free 30 day trial if you buy one: "You can return any Amazon Fire TV devices you purchased directly from Amazon.com for a full refund within 30 days of the day you received it as long as it's in new condition and the return is in accordance with our return policy."

If the voice search actually works, if you can use this in places like a hotel using hotel wifi, and if the prime instant video interface is more usable than on other devices, this could be a reasonable alternative to a Roku 3.

Since they're willing to loan me one for 30 days, I purchased one to see if it's in fact a good alternative to other devices out there.

outtawhack said:   This is not a hot price, but 2 features may make it a better choice than a Roku 3.

Also, they are basically giving everyone a free 30 day trial if you buy one: "You can return any Amazon Fire TV devices you purchased directly from Amazon.com for a full refund within 30 days of the day you received it as long as it's in new condition and the return is in accordance with our return policy."

If the voice search actually works, if you can use this in places like a hotel using hotel wifi, and if the prime instant video interface is more usable than on other devices, this could be a reasonable alternative to a Roku 3.

Since they're willing to loan me one for 30 days, I purchased one to see if it's in fact a good alternative to other devices out there.

FW'ers are patiently waiting for the rash of refurb'd Fire TVs on Amazon Warehouse deals

outtawhack said:   This is not a hot price, but 2 features may make it a better choice than a Roku 3.

I'm trying hard to see what the advantage of having this box over Roku might be. Still not clear if you could play any Android game and app on it.
If you buy the remote they do offer $10 in coins and a free game. Nothing special for early adopters tough.

I wonder what "In new condition" means. It seems to imply you can use the device, throw away the manual, and still return it for 100% refund... but it doesn't specify what 'new' means. To me, new != used... Strange.. not sure how you can call something new if you used it for 29 days.

Far and away the biggest advantage to this over the Roku 3 is that this is also essentially an Android game console. They even have an Xbox-style controller for it for $40.

esoterica said:   Far and away the biggest advantage to this over the Roku 3 is that this is also essentially an Android game console. They even have an Xbox-style controller for it for $40.
  Agreed on that , remains to be seen how much the game library will be crippled compared with other Android consoles.

esoterica said:   Far and away the biggest advantage to this over the Roku 3 is that this is also essentially an Android game console. They even have an Xbox-style controller for it for $40.
  Maybe...but it is another $40.  So we are up to $140 (and that't not including a Prime subscription at $79 to $99).  

respdoc said:   
  Maybe...but it is another $40.  So we are up to $140 (and that't not including a Prime subscription at $79 to $99).  

Fire TV should be perfectly usable without Prime, the Prime streaming video service is underwhelming IMO compared to Netflix.

This is Apple prices... what are they thinking? OP - red is for the price...

(edit)it's launch day, too early to bash it imo. Give it some time, most games don't even hit for a month. Word is  controller comes bundled with coins, It has everthing you guys are always complaining about, my only gripe initially is USB 2 and no 4K support (yet). Amazon has the backbone to trash some of the other boxes out there. could be a player if they can stream games from the cloud like onlive, this isn't another Ouya. they'll probably toss in some prime soon. MS, Apple and Sony could use some competition

I like many FW readers appreciate some degree of order here. We appreciate not having to weed through non-hot deals posted in the "hot deals" forum. I'm sure there are other sections of this site to make announcements.

For the price of Fire TV with the Amazon Fire Game Controller, you are on a hole for $140+tax. For that, you can probably pick up an Xbox for $150 where you can stream videos as well. Also, with Prime membership at $99, you can join xbox live gold for $45 (onsale most of the time) and get 24 games for free!

Unless the Fire TV allow you to Cyber chat with the chic that you chat with in Kindle HDX.......

Any option for connecting a webcam to the USB port for Skype or similar? If so, this product would be a hit.

I would really like to see a true all-in-one Media center type of solution which doesn't involve a power hungry PC. I'm leaning towards the Intel NUC with XBMC so that the grandparents can get an all in one solution (not cheap though). I was hoping this box would have some sort of video conferencing capability, either Skype or Google Hangouts or even a propriety solution from Amazon.

The reviews are in: 3 stars for the Fire TV. (Roku 3 has 4.5 stars.)
www.amazon.com/Amazon-CL1130-Fire-TV/product-reviews/B00CX5P8FC/

One big limitation is that voice search only works with Amazon apps, not third party apps like Netflix.

Let me be the first to say it here, it's a waste of money for the time being. Nothing materially different than a Roku. I'll be sending mine back to Amazon in 29 days.

outtawhack said:   Let me be the first to say it here, it's a waste of money for the time being. Nothing materially different than a Roku. I'll be sending mine back to Amazon in 29 days.
  Ya..that seems to be the general consensus.

I don't see how they could not offer some decent incentives/offers with purchase...in the near future...unless they just plan on taking a wash on the whole product.  

Then we  might have a "hot deal". 

Many models of Sony and LG Blue Ray already offer Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu+ and more (and I get DVD/BR functionality for free) for less than $99. What does FireTV do extra?

respdoc said:   
slervik said:   

Doesn't make it a hot deal. This is full retail price along with the fact it has no major advantages over similar devices to justify full cost. 

Wired has this article on the subject

WIRED 
Wired said: t’s available right now. But Amazon isn’t just throwing out a gaming-capable device and seeing what happens. Its announcements on Wednesday pushed gaming as hard as streaming video, if not more so. It made much of the relative power of the small box’s internals, touting its “quad-core processor with 3x the processing power of Apple TV and Roku, a dedicated Adreno 320 graphics engine, and 2 GB of memory.” That’s aimed at gamers. Grandma doesn’t give a crap how much RAM is in the box she uses to binge-watch seasons of Murder, She Wrote. Amazon Game Studios, a division formed in 2012 to create a social Facebook game that no one remembers, has been on a hiring and acquisition tear; the company just purchased Double Helix, the developer behind the acclaimed next-gen games Killer Instinct and Strider, and yesterday we learned that Portal designer Kim Swift and Far Cry 2 creative director Clint Hocking have now joined the group. Over a hundred games are available now, and Amazon says it’ll be in the thousands by sometime next month. It’s got Minecraft. (It’s even got Double Dragon Trilogy.) Oh, and it has a controller. While the $40 Amazon Fire Game Controller is not included in the $100 Fire TV box by default, the fact that Amazon is pushing it on day one is pretty significant. It’s not trying to introduce any novel features, just imitate the standard controller layout that the big three consoles use

it's got potential but nothing grabs be yet. I have Prime and a Kindle fire HD so keeping an eye on bundles, not paying current price. I would like to try that BT gamepad on some of my other stuff. BB is selling them too.

For $99 it should include the game controller, then the Fire TV would be a game changer compared to Apple TV or Roku 3.

Skipping 20 Messages...
One word (well, acronym) that makes FireTV worth the $99: XBMC

I bought 3.  Not hot, but XBMC without jumping through hoops make the 1080p FireTV a worthwhile replacement for a couple of jailbroken ATV2s (720p limited).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014