5D $600 Usually $650-ish, sometimes gets to $550

5N $450 Ususally closer to $500, lowest ever is $430

Member Summary

Drobo 5N
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

that is a good deal on a nice piece of equipment, and it has excellent reviews too. I like how it is simple, can use msata ssd as cache, and battery backed up. However it is expensive enough for someone that knows computers and storage to question if that is really the best way to add 5 protected drives to a computer. If i was just adding space top a desktop it would be easier to buy a bigger case, RAID controller card, and a hot swap drive cage. If you were trying to use it as shared storage than a gigabit NAS device would be a better choice than USB3.

Thanks OP

valeadmagnet said:   that is a good deal on a nice piece of equipment, and it has excellent reviews too. I like how it is simple, can use msata ssd as cache, and battery backed up. However it is expensive enough for someone that knows computers and storage to question if that is really the best way to add 5 protected drives to a computer. If i was just adding space top a desktop it would be easier to buy a bigger case, RAID controller card, and a hot swap drive cage. If you were trying to use it as shared storage than a gigabit NAS device would be a better choice than USB3.

Thanks OP

That's where I'm at personally. I feel like I'd get more use out of a low-end desktop than this. It'd also be about half of the price. I wouldn't have the hot-swap drive bays but I could easily add a pile of external drives.

These are really nice looking though...

The advantage of Drobo is peace of mind. Can pull off something similar with storage spaces in Windows 8 (and WHS before it), but the advantage with Drobo there is that Drobo is faster (especially with a cheap 20-30GB mSATA plugged in).

If budget is king, use WIndows 8. But Windows 8 isn't as good as Drobo. This is a great deal for Mac, Linux, or people with PCs that want peace of mind and performance with their storage.

Plus, it works with Backblaze and CrashPlan, so you can cloud backup your 8 TB of stuff.

I just bought one about a month ago.  I am getting horrible transfer speeds.  I tried to transfer data from my 500 gB hdd to 3TBx4 Drobo and its already been 24 hours and i still have 250gb data more to go.  I am getting transfer speeds of 1 to 2 mbps sometimes dropping to 100 or so kbps. 

I had set up the drobo a week ago, so it had enough time to configure and set up the drive.  Anyone has any suggestions?  I am using new blackhawk netgear router so router should not be a problem.  Research online and quiet a few people are having the same problem but no solution. 

Sadly i threw away the boxes so not sure if i will be able to return. 

are you using the network or attached one? If you're using the network one try changing the cable or forcing the port to gig full duplex. It sounds almost like the device isn't negotiating the link correctly.

It is 5n networked... how do i force gigabit?

I will try changing the cable. 

Ive had the v2 for a while know.
Its good. Replaced the fan with a super quite one because it sounded like a vacuum cleaner when I first got it.
Maxxed out the bays and and have more TBs than I know what to do with.

When I first got the system and tooled around with it hosed something up.
I thought to myself no problem I could just get the data off right?
Wrong. Its not a fool proof as you think. There are plenty of instances where your data will be irrecoverable.
Luckily I haven't had any issues except for when I first started.

Looking to upgrade now (thunderbolt) but dont want to part with the $$$.
These things are still pretty expensive.

i have the drobo-fs, and the transfer rates are horrible. atrocious. when the time arrives, i'm going to get synology... 

I was really thinking that a lowend PC with a couple drives running  OpenFiler  or  FreeNAS  as the OS instead of Windows or Linux, might be a pretty easy solution for protected shared network storage when I made the initial comment about a less expensive NAS solution.

Personally I use a Windows  PC doing soft RAID to local drives and archiving it up to the cloud for a penny a gig using Amazon Glacier 

valeadmagnet said:   I was really thinking that a lowend PC with a couple drives running  OpenFiler  or  FreeNAS  might be a pretty easy solution for protected shared network storage when I made the initial comment about a less expensive NAS solution.

Personally I use a Windows  PC doing soft RAID to local drives and archiving it up to the cloud for a penny a gig using Amazon Glacier 

FreeNAS is the way to go. I love mine, build something with good specs and it will blow away these appliances and still be cheaper.

A bit off topic from OP's deal, but does anyone sell a decent 5-bay case like this for a FreeNAS build? I'd love to find the 5-bay Drobo case, but without the custom software price.

I have a ~$50 NZXT case that has 8 3.5" bays and then 3 5.25" bays. So far I've used all eight HDD slots, and I've installed one of those 4-in-1 bays that holds 4 2.5" drives. i have a cheap mobo/processor. 4 sata on board. 2 sata via pci-express. 12 sata from pci cards. im running ubuntu server (with GUI) and just use a soft-raid RAID-6 setup and then some JBOD. Server has a cyberpower battery backup (bought after a power outage caused me to lose 12 tb of data). i bought most of the hardware two years ago, and I anticipate this lasting 3-5 more years. it's slow if you try to browse the web, but it runs sabnzbd, sickbeard, and torrents just fine. no problems with streaming media to several WDTV boxes in our house.

asuka said:   The advantage of Drobo is peace of mind. Can pull off something similar with storage spaces in Windows 8 (and WHS before it), but the advantage with Drobo there is that Drobo is faster (especially with a cheap 20-30GB mSATA plugged in).

If budget is king, use WIndows 8. But Windows 8 isn't as good as Drobo. This is a great deal for Mac, Linux, or people with PCs that want peace of mind and performance with their storage.

Plus, it works with Backblaze and CrashPlan, so you can cloud backup your 8 TB of stuff.

If you're limited to Windows then maybe a Drobo is for you. There are many ways to accomplish Drobo's features using Linux and it's free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014