• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Launching April 12th, the Simple Starter plan - at only $40 a month for unlimited talk and text and up to 500MB 4G LTE data and tethering - is purpose-built for value-conscious wireless customers and small businesses that want predictability and affordability, and promises absolutely no data overages. All on America's fastest nationwide 4G LTE network. 

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251624&p=irol-newsA...

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile coupons that earn Up to $60.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

t-mobile
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

500MB of 4G LTE, is that like, a day's worth?

Redbeard25 said:   500MB of 4G LTE, is that like, a day's worth?
  I guess, if you don't use wi-fi anywhere, and you have the uncontrollable urge to stream netflix and download a sh**load of apps all day long.

Otherwise, no.  500MB is probably not near enough for a month of moderate use, but let's not be ridiculous about what a light to average user uses in a day.  Most people are smart enough to connect to wi-fi when available.  I use my phone for work in software development, as well as personal, and I have yet to break my record of 1.1 GB in a month, which only happened once the past two years, and it involved streaming a movie for my nephew.

only if it was 2GB of data, 500mb not enough. I am using the $30 unl data up to 5GB, 100 min talk and unl txt. Happy with this plan for now. Thanks for sharing

I'm glad that TMO is creating more low-price options. The $30/month 5GB plan is way better for me, but I can see a 500MB plan being useful for students and office workers who have WiFi almost all the time.

What the article fails to mention is that unlike all other TMO plans, this one CUTS DATA OFF after 500MB instead of letting you continue to use an old 2G network.

Cuts you off INSTEAD of overages? Believe it or not they used to charge you for that feature. My how T-Mobile has changed!

There's always this alternative if it ever comes:   Here

Hmm.. $40/month for unlimited talk, text and 500 MB data on TMobile coverage
OR
$30/month for unlimited talk, text and 500 MB data on AT&T coverage via H20 mobile. ($27/month if you sign up for auto pay)

I think the choice is pretty easy..

hillestadk said:   What the article fails to mention is that unlike all other TMO plans, this one CUTS DATA OFF after 500MB instead of letting you continue to use an old 2G network.

Add to that there is no family option with this plan meaning each line is $40/mo. For those needing multiple lines their existing family plans are a better value.

since its post paid, I wonder if it will include a phone subsidy...

skarydrunkguy said:   since its post paid, I wonder if it will include a phone subsidy...
  No they don't.  Tmobile doesn't do phone subsidies almost ever anymore.  Sometimes through 3rd party dealers they still do but I imagine they are phasing it out since they are the "un-carrier" now.

I wonder is $40 is the total you pay?
I buy a $40 refill and no  addons?

I ask because if I buy the $15 StraightTalk Home Phone refill, it is $15 OTD at WalMart.
From ST auto pay it is nearly $18 a month...

Noob question - does H2O wireless have HSPA/HSPA+/LTE with their unlimited plans? Also do they use AT&T's prepaid network or post-paid (with roaming)? Looked up their website but couldn't find the info. Thanks.

ebbikenezer said:   
  I guess, if you don't use wi-fi anywhere, and you have the uncontrollable urge to stream netflix and download a sh**load of apps all day long.

Otherwise, no.  500MB is probably not near enough for a month of moderate use, but let's not be ridiculous about what a light to average user uses in a day.  Most people are smart enough to connect to wi-fi when available.  I use my phone for work in software development, as well as personal, and I have yet to break my record of 1.1 GB in a month, which only happened once the past two years, and it involved streaming a movie for my nephew.

I'm on Tmo now. and I get 500MB of 4G and I use about 585-625 MB a month on my data, and have for the last year

lemonhead said:   
ebbikenezer said:   

I'm on Tmo now. and I get 500MB of 4G and I use about 585-625 MB a month on my data, and have for the last year

Yeah, agree, 500MB may not be a huge amount, but it's not light use either.  I think people get confused between the amount of data used by say...    accessing the internet for various use with a PC...  and accessing the internet for light browsing, email, etc...  on a smartphone.  It's just not as much as a lot of people seem to think.  Not saying some people who are heavy users don't need more, but on average a smartphone won't eat up as much data as most think.

????????
Does the time you stay on a page increase the mb used?
If you click on a link on a page does that?

yesidonoitall said:   ????????

Really?

I'll answer these as best I can:

If a page had..  say a streaming ad...   sure it would use more data as you stayed on it, however, if you open a new app or task, it minimizes that one and so data is no longer sent/received by that page.  This is hard to explain concisely, as depending on the task opened/minimized, data may still be sent/received by that page.

Clicking on a link opens a new page, so of course it uses data, not sure if trolling here.

The two main killers for data use are downloading apps and streaming music/videos.  For just surfing the net, average use, 500MB would more than suffice.

Most web pages have a mobile version and so redirect to that one, which uses quite a bit less data than the regular version of the site.

ebbikenezer said:   
yesidonoitall said:   ????????

Really?

I'll answer these as best I can:

If a page had..  say a streaming ad...   sure it would use more data as you stayed on it, however, if you open a new app or task, it minimizes that one and so data is no longer sent/received by that page.  This is hard to explain concisely, as depending on the task opened/minimized, data may still be sent/received by that page.

Clicking on a link opens a new page, so of course it uses data, not sure if trolling here.

The two main killers for data use are downloading apps and streaming music/videos.  For just surfing the net, average use, 500MB would more than suffice.

Most web pages have a mobile version and so redirect to that one, which uses quite a bit less data than the regular version of the site.

Thanks, while I did have a tracfone smartphone for awhile I never used it for data, so now I know unless it is unlimited web or data it can be costly.....
I replaced it with a non smartphone but I think it can get data.

Can I switch from my $50 to this plan?  How?  I don't even use close 100MB of data each month.
Thanks.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014